Ole v Poch v Tuchel

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Tuchel-(45) has had several years coaching in the Bundesliga: Augsburg,Mainz,Dortmund and now PSG. Until PSG, he'd developed a good rep as a coach but won nothing except a lot of plaudits. But from 2007- to the present is quite a lot of experience in a decent league. But let's be honest PSG don't have any serious competition in Ligue 1. Doesn't take away that he's an intelligent coach

Poch(46) Espanyol,Soton and now Spurs. Honours;Copa Del Rey as player only. Coaching experience 2009-present. A good few years developing his coaching reputation but still awaiting honours. Good style shown by both Soton and Spurs

Ole-(45). Least experienced of the 3. Started with Molde in 2011. Crap time at Cardiff. Honours; only at Molde in his first spell. Reputation as an intelligent coach. Restored Utd's attacking values.

Very similar in age but Tuchel has a lot more experience at a better level.Probably a little unlucky to lose to Liverpool in the 1/4 finals of the Europa. May have beaten Sevilla, who knows? The team was very good. Ole did well with Molde in Europe but lost eventually to Sevilla- but no disgrace given his squad.Poch- very inconsistent in Europe.Spurs have lost to Ghent and shown naivety against good opposition in the UCL which given the time he's been at Spurs with a decent team is a little surprising.

Good thread - Tuchel is my first choice I really enjoyed his work at BVB and he's doing well with PSG. I think the best tactically out of the three.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Job is Ole's to lose I think. We will likely employ him by the end of the season.

steakpie

I don't like Tuchel, lacks charisma and quite annoying on the touchline. I like Poch but also like Ole.

If we get top 4 then Ole should be given a 1 year contract. I also really like Carrick as his assistant.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tuchel is a maniac, a good coach but an absolute maniac.

crossy1686

career ending
Got to be Ole.

Don't know why managers now have to go and manage a bunch of nothing teams before some can consider them worthy of managing United. Pep was good enough for Barcelona and Zidane was good enough for Madrid.

We've also tried this "lets get a big name in to change the way we do things at the club" approach, it hasn't and doesn't work for us. Just have a gander over at Arsenal and Chelsea currently if you want to see square pegs in round holes.

City and Liverpool are the exception because they've done that and backed their managers 100%. We would never do that based on our principals as a club and what we stand for.

Tuchel and Pochettino would both flop at United. Tuchel's replacement at PSG has been talked about since October, even they don't rate him that much.

JPRouve

Scout
Got to be Ole.

Don't know why managers now have to go and manage a bunch of nothing teams before some can consider them worthy of managing United. Pep was good enough for Barcelona and Zidane was good enough for Madrid.

We've also tried this "lets get a big name in to change the way we do things at the club" approach, it hasn't and doesn't work for us. Just have a gander over at Arsenal and Chelsea currently if you want to see square pegs in round holes.

City and Liverpool are the exception because they've done that and backed their managers 100%. We would never do that based on our principals as a club and what we stand for.

Tuchel and Pochettino would both flop at United. Tuchel's replacement at PSG has been talked about since October, even they don't rate him that much.
That's not true at all.

Jaae

Not ITK
Tactics, and to a certain extent managers, are overvalued.

Having better players than the opposition is and has always been the most important aspect of a successful football team.

Doesn't matter who's in charge come August, we're not going to challenge for any major honours without improving our squad. Which could take 2 years given the state of it.

JPRouve

Scout
Tuchel was appointed because no one else was available. There have been rumours about the 'next' PSG manager pretty much since he took over. Similar situation to when Emery got the job.
Again not true at all.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Pretty ridiculous to compare Ole, who has had only one season in a top league where he was sacked after his team (though very weak) got relegated and struggled the following season, to coaches like Tuchel and Poch who have been managing at the top level for a while now and have had successful times at various clubs. Let it be known that 'success' doesn't mean trophies, Tuchel and Poch started managing at lower level clubs themselves and lead them to respectable positions.

I like Ole, which is why I said he should be given a 1 or 2 year deal at the end of the season, but lets not go on comparing him to those two. Though Ole's had great start, there is still uncertainty on how good he will be in the long term, therefore if either Poch or Tuchel are available I would take them over Ole.

That obviously isn't going to happen unless something drastic happens at either PSG or Tottenham, so for now I would still give Ole a permanent deal, though not a long term one.

Inigo Montoya

Pretty ridiculous to compare Ole, who has had only one season in a top league where he was sacked after his team (though very weak) got relegated and struggled the following season, to coaches like Tuchel and Poch who have been managing at the top level for a while now and have had successful times at various clubs. Let it be known that 'success' doesn't mean trophies, Tuchel and Poch started managing at lower level clubs themselves and lead them to respectable positions.

I like Ole, which is why I said he should be given a 1 or 2 year deal at the end of the season, but lets not go on comparing him to those two. Though Ole's had great start, there is still uncertainty on how good he will be in the long term, therefore if either Poch or Tuchel are available I would take them over Ole.

That obviously isn't going to happen unless something drastic happens at either PSG or Tottenham, so for now I would still give Ole a permanent deal, though not a long term one.
But then would you trust him with transfer funds if it's a short term?

Bojan11

Tuchel was appointed because no one else was available. There have been rumours about the 'next' PSG manager pretty much since he took over. Similar situation to when Emery got the job.
They appointed him because they wanted a more attacking minded coach who focused on possession. Not because he was the only one left like you put it.

Emery, Blanc and to a lesser extent Ancelotti were more defensive minded coaches. They never transformed the way PSG played. PSG were never a side I enjoyed watching. They had their moments like the 4-0 vs Barca. But at times they could be drab to watch.

That’s what Tuchel has been brought in to do. Get the best out of the front three especially in Europe and make them more exciting to watch.

Inigo Montoya

Does that make him a bad coach though?

Beaucoup

This was always going to be our biggest test and Ole showed his naivety last night by being totally outfoxed by Tuchel. He's doing a great job, however, bringing dinosaurs back like Phelan to steady the ship should only be seen as the short term measure it was intended to be.

Judas

Open to offers
Tactically Tuchel is so many levels above Poch and Ole. If we're not going to have the very best players, we need to be setup brilliantly.

But he's not leaving PSG, and long term I'm not sure how things would go with him here and the egos we have, I suppose we'll see how long things stay good for him in Paris with Neymar and co.

AJ10

Although I agree with what you said but you should check poch at Espanyol fc.

Revan

Assumptionman
As things stand, Tuchel is the best/most established of those three, with Ole being the least established. Ole would be my choice though.

crossy1686

career ending
They appointed him because they wanted a more attacking minded coach who focused on possession. Not because he was the only one left like you put it.

Emery, Blanc and to a lesser extent Ancelotti were more defensive minded coaches. They never transformed the way PSG played. PSG were never a side I enjoyed watching. They had their moments like the 4-0 vs Barca. But at times they could be drab to watch.

That’s what Tuchel has been brought in to do. Get the best out of the front three especially in Europe and make them more exciting to watch.
They flirted heavily with Mourinho before appointing Tuchel. They don't know what they want and Tuchel won't last two seasons there. Quote me on that.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I actually didn’t realize that Ole is the same age as them. Tuchel is a brilliant tactician, but I think that he has serious issues with man-managing part of the job. He’s still young, so perhaps he’ll adapt.

Bojan11

They flirted heavily with Mourinho before appointing Tuchel. They don't know what they want and Tuchel won't last two seasons there. Quote me on that.
No they didn’t flirt with Mourinho. They don’t want Mourinho and the players there especially Neymar and Alves would never have wanted that.

It was Duncan Castle who was reporting those links. Mendes and Mourinho played Woodward like a fool, so Mourinho gets his renewal.

JPRouve

Scout
They didn't flirt with Mourinho at all, they wanted a young attacking manager.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
But then would you trust him with transfer funds if it's a short term?
What United need is a Director of Football, he/she should be the one trusted with the funds more than the manager. United lack a long term vision, the reason being the constant changing of managers who each have had different philosophies; that is why we are stuck with an 80 million pound striker who our current manager, rightfully, doesn't want to play.

With a good DOF, eventhough we may have managers who aren't successful, we will have more long term stability because there will be a firm vision the club will follow, and hire managers accordingly. We saw with Mourinho that, while he was a successful manager before, his ethos did not match that of the club and some players already there. That in turn lead to his lack of success here. With a DOF, managers will be hired to match the clubs ethos.

In short, United should hire a DOF and both him/her and Ole should agree with regards to signings. Signings won't be made for Ole specifically but for the club.

youmeletsfly

The media flirted with Mourinho, not PSG. They got Tuchel because his teams play good football and because he's from that good tier of managers that will go to a Farmers league.
They can't really get Luis Enrique or Pep or hell even Allegri beause their league is too easy.

cusmarr

Supports
PSG
Never said it does, he's decent but he's just another, more combustable, balding Emery.
AS PSG fan i can tell you he's nowere near Emery, he is way better.

We saw a real change with him leading. He's a good man leader and a great tactician. We can play in several formations which we couldn't in the past.

I was a bit astonished when he signed, however he completly seduced me, same goes for every PSG fans. There is a real big change in the mentality with Tuchel.