Ole's clear-out

tomaldinho1

Ole needs to stand up to Woodward & the Glaziers and show a bit more courage and determination in bringing in the players we need to compete with the top 4 and CL. Forgetting Sancho etc, there are some good deals to be had particularly as this is now a buyers market. We need a DM and a RWM desperately.
I mean they gave him £90m for Sancho, can't really complain Dortmund said no & given his form it looks like a wise move not to meet their price.

croadyman

I mean they gave him £90m for Sancho, can't really complain Dortmund said no & given his form it looks like a wise move not to meet their price.
Yeah find it hard to see us being able to offer that again this summer in the current situation

roseguy64

In the last 100 Manchester United League games, Phil Jones recorded 1,576mins. He's clearly out of Oles plans but for some reason he's determined not to leave United for regular football.

One day we'll be rid of him I guess.
He's been injured for like 50-75% of that time though.

I doubt Bruno has ever trained with Jones.

roseguy64

Jones' extension really was a head scratcher, but Lingard's is just so we can get a fee for him at the end of the season. At least that's how I see it...
Yeah the Jones extension is the most awful one we've done. I think he was even injured at the time.

Rojo had had a run of games and Mourinho liked him. Pereira we wanted to give him a chance and his contract was running out. Others recently have been youth players, regular first teamers and 1 year extensions for value or old players.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Here's a balance sheet for 2020. Ins and outs, and potential outs next summer. I ignored Odion Ighalo, as the came, left and didn't play much. I included peripheral U-23 players who are now squad members. I only included one academy player because he cost so much for a 16 year old.
Weekly Pay (£ m)​
Fee (£ m)​
In:
0.120​
35​
Donny van de Beek from Ajax, £35 million plus add-ons​
0.210​
Edinson Cavani, free agent plus agents' fees​
0.150​
13.6​
Alex Telles from Porto, £13.6 million plus add-ons​
19​
Amad Diallo from Atalanta, £19 million plus add-ons​
10​
Facuno Pellistri (from Penarol), 10 million plus add-ons​
1.5​
Willy Kambwala (Sochaux). 1.5 million​
0.110​
Dean Henderson​
0.040​
Mason Greenwood​
0.040​
Brandon Williams​
0.100​
49.5​
Bruno Fernandes​
<= Total
Out:
0.390​
Alexis Sanchez​
0.070​
13.2​
Chris Smalling​
0.080​
Marco Roco​
0.015​
Timothy Fosu-Mensah​
0.120​
1.5​
Ashley Young​
<= Total
Potential
0.030​
Lee Grant
out:
0.070​
Sergio Romero
0.390​
50​
Paul Pogba
0.075​
20​
Jesse Lingard​
0.025​
15​
Diogo Dalot​
0.030​
20​
Andreas Pereira​
0.015​
Joel Pereira​
0.075​
8​
Phil Jones​
0.163​
Juan Mata​
0.014​
2​
Tahith Chong​
0.050​
8​
Axel Tuanzebe​
0.045​
20​
Daniel James​
<= Total

A few things to note:
  • The wages are approximately in balance!
  • Fans always expect United to sell players for far more than the market will bear.
  • It's now a very fit squad - compared to the last decade.
  • there are a lot of players fans want to see leave next summer but the only 3 certs IMHO are: Pogba, Romero and Grant. Even Mata, on his massive wage, is no certain leaver.
No way Axel gets sold

romufc

NO, we have no divine right, quite the opposite. Personally thought it was blaringly obvious we needed to sign another centre back....that may have helped and was also an area we failed in my opinion with this clearout.

As for the preseason, nobody had one, we had about a week less than the other sides. Yes it may have hindered us for the opneing games, but we were still awful a good two months later as positionally we defended absolutely awfully, that has nothing to do with fitness or match sharpness, so that is rubbish
Yes, it was obvious but other than Chelsea, every club struggled in the transfer window to do all the business they needed. You have to realise that this isnt football manager, clubs did not know how long they will play without fans, they cannot just spend money like that.

On the pre season, I would like to address this. Most clubs finished their season end of July. Crystal Palace played their first pre season game on 25th August, whilst our players were playing Europa League Football, you do know that right?

That means all the players had 3 weeks rest before their pre season. Then they had 5 pre season games, do you know that?

12th September is when the league started. our a week later and we had 1 pre season game against Villa after 1 weeks training? In that week Pogba, AWB, were isolating. Then they all went on international duty. Came back 2 days later played Vs Palace.

If you think it had nothing to do with fitness, shows everything I need to know.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yeah the Jones extension is the most awful one we've done. I think he was even injured at the time.

Rojo had had a run of games and Mourinho liked him. Pereira we wanted to give him a chance and his contract was running out. Others recently have been youth players, regular first teamers and 1 year extensions for value or old players.
Especially the length of the contract. I might have been able to understand giving a loyal player a 1-2 year contract extension. But to 2023? Wow

Mark Pawelek

That’s a comprehensive and detailed analysis. Do you do this as a hobby ?

It would be great to raise so much money from sales - would fund 2-3 transfers. If Pogba goes, we will need a CM for sure, although can be debated what type of CM is most critical. CB is obvious.

After that, you could make a case for Right sided forward, Striker, backup RB.

James can be replaced by Elanga or Pellestri.

I would probably loan Axel though.
I guess if Pogba (£50m - £60) hasn't signed an extension by the end of May he must go. Signs are that Dalot could go for about £15m (similar to what we paid for Telles). Surely Lee Grant ( £0 ) is bound to go? Played 1 match in 2½ seasons. I expected Sergio Romero ( £0 ) to leave last summer; but United can still extend his contract by 1 year. Surely United should let him leave for free since he came as a Bosman and has been so loyal? I can see Joel Pereira leaving; United have so many goalies now it's daft. If Diallo continues to do well and Pellistri has a good loan move then I can imagine at least 3 out of: Lingard, Andreas, Chong or James must go. All 4 players in red to go. 4 of the 5 blue ones to leave as well. In: at least 3, possibly 4 or 5 (who guessed United would sign 5 last summer?). Require: CB, DMC, RB, CF, RW. With Hughill doing so well, I'm unsure United will get an new CF. Even if Garner continues to do well I still think United will buy a new DCM. Matic is the only one at OT, ani't getting any younger, and United need 2.

DSG

I watch almost every Dortmund match. Sancho was a bit out of form early on in the season, but the reports of him being shite were overblown. He wasn’t as bad as the media would have you believe. Lately, he’s been very good. 8 goals and 8 assists in 25 matches isn’t awful. I think if we had that much production from our RW, we’d be top of league.

Whether he’s worth 90m is another matter, but let’s be careful labeling him a flop. He’d improve that side of the pitch immensely.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Ole needs to stand up to Woodward & the Glaziers and show a bit more courage and determination in bringing in the players we need to compete with the top 4 and CL. Forgetting Sancho etc, there are some good deals to be had particularly as this is now a buyers market. We need a DM and a RWM desperately.
"Ole needs to"

You need to stop posting drivel. You don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe he rode Malcolms sister. Who knows? Not us.

tomaldinho1

I watch almost every Dortmund match. Sancho was a bit out of form early on in the season, but the reports of him being shite were overblown. He wasn’t as bad as the media would have you believe. Lately, he’s been very good. 8 goals and 8 assists in 25 matches isn’t awful. I think if we had that much production from our RW, we’d be top of league.

Whether he’s worth 90m is another matter, but let’s be careful labeling him a flop. He’d improve that side of the pitch immensely.
Who labelled him a flop?

shaky

Yeah, whether or not Sancho is "worth" £90m, I do think that if we'd splashed out for him in the summer, having him playing on our RW all season would have been worth quite a few extra points to us overall and could even end up being the difference between us winning the league or not. Hard to put a value on that.

OrcaFat

Not meaning to be controversial or argumentative....but is it that impressive? 10 out in four windows on permanent deals, thats 2.5 per window and only Lukaku has bought in any type of transfer fee worth mentioning. Obvious reasons for some, but every one of those players has left the club bar Lukaku way under value. You could barely buy Long John Silver for £5m nowadays let alone a championship player yet so many of these deals are way under that fee.

Thats only 2/3 of the 15 you mention moved on in four windows and without naming them to digress from the point, there is plenty of argument for moving on 7-8 players you havent even mentioned.

In my opinion bar 3/4 signings he has made, like the managers before him though not to such a scandukous degree, he has made the wrogn signings and not made enough of them and certainly not moved out enough players quickly enough, several that have been given improved contracts under his tenure that makes them hard to sell and if we do they go for a pittance to get them out of the door.

Whether that is the managers fault, the scouts, owners or whoever. We may be movign in the right direction, but far far slower than we should be and the way we are,w e wont bridge the gap. We have a premiership where the first half of the season, the champions had no centre backs, the ex champions had no strikers, the whole league is incapable of defending and we still dont really look good enough to challenge for the title
Just saw this.

If the club would only listen to you, we could have got rid of twice as many players and got double the money for them. That would give us at least 4 times the money to buy double the number of world class players and, by now, be twice as good as we are, in half the time.