"Ole's Man Management is Second to None" - Luke Shaw

sugar_kane

It may have been posted elsewhere but it seemed a shame to not create a thread for what is a decent interview with Shaw:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...unnar-solskjaer-is-different-to-jose-mourinho

Oh and for what it's worth I did think a nice counterbalance thread to the Ole-bashing was due.

It's great to see Shaw absolutely smashing it this season, and delivering to the level we thought he'd be capable of when he first came in. He's great for a soundbite too, not shy of saying when we've played shite - it's fairly refreshing.

AgentSmith

Ole’s man-management is absolutely brilliant. Probably his strongest trait as a manager.

The way he handled the Pogba situation was the perfect example of this. If Mourinho had still been in charge he would happily have derailed the entire season to get his own back on Pogba and Raiola.

Ole deftly dealt with it while ensuring Pogba always had a route back from the brink. It’s important to remember the run we went on following that Raiola press release and the dismal result against Leipzig.

I think it's quite obvious the team like him and his man management of almost all our players is great. He still can't coach, though.

Idxomer

It's definitely better than the current Mourinho but the quote is insignificant when you've only known 4 managers in your career so far.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If there was a man manager of the year award I'd certainly give it to Ole but unfortunately we need more than that to get us back among the best.

Dr. StrangeHate

As has been stated in other threads, man management is something Ole truly excels at and is the main reason he is in this job. If he hires experienced coaches that can teach how to overcome a low block and some patterns of play (favourite football term of mine), this could even work long term.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
His man-management is second to none. The way he conducts himself in terms of how he speaks to the players, it gets the best out of them. You can see that
If thats getting the best out of them, then we need a massive overhaul. And not to be that guy, but he said something alone the same lines in 2018 when he was playing well for Jose and got an England recall. Jose was gone a couple of months later.

AgentSmith

It's definitely better than the current Mourinho but the quote is insignificant when you've only known 4 managers in your career so far.
Adkins
Pochettino
Hodgson
Van Gaal
Mourinho
Southgate
Solskjær

A pretty wide variety of managers with differing styles of man-management.

How many managers do you have to have had before your opinion is worth much?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Exaggeration don't you think? His view is not insignificant, it's more significant than 99% of posters on here for a start.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This is one of the reasons I think Ole is doing a fine job as manager, and why where we really need to look at improving is the coaching staff. Fergie handled the man management and the match day tactics, and delegated the finer details of coaching to Queiroz, McClaren etc. Seems clear we’re not a particularly well coached side, which asks questions about McKenna and Carrick. As a manager I think Ole is doing well.

DoomSlayer

Insulting another member
Adkins
Pochettino
Hodgson
Van Gaal
Mourinho
Southgate
Solskjær

Don't ask such hard questions, give his 1 brain cell left to process this new information.

Statue of Limitations

It reads to me that we have a happy squad, which is no small thing.
A happy group makes new joiners feel welcome, might enable them to hit the ground running faster for example.

Thanks for sharing this, we could use some more positivity in these parts, almost every thread is negative when we are ahead of where most people thought we would be at the start of the season.

Idxomer

Adkins
Pochettino
Hodgson
Van Gaal

Mourinho
Southgate
Solskjær

How long did he play under those managers to evaluate their man-management?

He only spent a significant amount under 2 managers, Mourinho and Ole, and at a push LVG. It's obvious those two are the basis of his opinion.

iHicksy

As has been stated in other threads, man management is something Ole truly excels at and is the main reason he is in this job. If he hires experienced coaches that can teach how to overcome a low block and some patterns of play (favourite football term of mine), this could even work long term.
This is exactly my thinking. Right now he's tried to copy Ferguson's mould of having coaches take training. The issue lies in that he's got the wrong people in for the job. We have too much inexperience in our coaching staff, we've got Carrick who's learning on the job. Which for a club the size of ours, trying to get back to the top is simply baffling. He shouldn't be anywhere near the first team setup. Likewise, Mckenna. For all the talk of him being some groundbreaking coach in the youth setup. I've seen no evidence of that in the way we play. If Ole is going to be successful here then he needs to be as ruthless in his staff selections as he has been in getting rid of the deadwood. He needs to go out and get absolutely world class coaches. Unfortunately, i'm not sure he sees anything wrong in this area and has become a bit blinded by getting in "united men" who know the club. Whilst this is good in some ways, it's really a double edged sword and he needs to look closer at how Ferguson shaped his coaching staff. He didn't hire Keane, Schmikes, Hughes, Bruce etc he went out and got the absolute best in Quieroz and Rene etc. By creating a truly world class coaching environment he could get the best out of his motivation and man management skills whilst actually developing a tactical philosophy and playing style

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is one of the reasons I think Ole is doing a fine job as manager, and why where we really need to look at improving is the coaching staff. Fergie handled the man management and the match day tactics, and delegated the finer details of coaching to Queiroz, McClaren etc. Seems clear we’re not a particularly well coached side, which asks questions about McKenna and Carrick. As a manager I think Ole is doing well.
This is exactly my thinking. Right now he's tried to copy Ferguson's mould of having coaches take training. The issue lies in that he's got the wrong people in for the job. We have too much inexperience in our coaching staff, we've got Carrick who's learning on the job. Which for a club the size of ours, trying to get back to the top is simply baffling. He shouldn't be anywhere near the first team setup. Likewise, Mckenna. For all the talk of him being some groundbreaking coach in the youth setup. I've seen no evidence of that in the way we play. If Ole is going to be successful here then he needs to be as ruthless in his staff selections as he has been in getting rid of the deadwood. He needs to go out and get absolutely world class coaches. Unfortunately, i'm not sure he sees anything wrong in this area and has become a bit blinded by getting in "united men" who know the club. Whilst this is good in some ways, it's really a double edged sword and he needs to look closer at how Ferguson shaped his coaching staff. He didn't hire Keane, Schmikes, Hughes, Bruce etc he went out and got the absolute best in Quieroz and Rene etc. By creating a truly world class coaching environment he could get the best out of his motivation and man management skills whilst actually developing a tactical philosophy and playing style
Great points here. Very much spot on. Rack ‘em.

Idxomer

Exaggeration don't you think? His view is not insignificant, it's more significant than 99% of posters on here for a start.
Well, that goes without saying.

It doesn't mean Shaw isn't exaggerating to make a point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hard to disagree with this.

I mean, look at all our comebacks this season. Our fighting spirit and team unity seems to be the best it’s been since SAF.

The slow starts that caused all of those comebacks is a problem though. And man management won’t fix that.

SAFMUTD

The one quality I think Ole is actually good enough. No one can argue against his man management skills, they're top. Keeps players happy and they all seem to be confortable with him.

AgentSmith

He only spent a significant amount under 2 managers, Mourinho and Ole, and at a push LVG. It's obvious those two are the basis of his opinion.
Most people don’t need more than a year to work out whether they like the way their boss treats them.

Shaw is clearly a player who responds well to positive man-management and he’s playing the best football of his career under Ole as a result.

The only time he’s had a manager who employs a similar style of man-management to Ole was at Southampton under Poch. Which happened to coincide with Shaw’s other best period of football.

Look at the harmony that exists in United’s squad atm. Then compare it to what’s happening in Spurs’ dressing room. The contrast confirms exactly what Shaw is describing.

This is very true but the appointment of Fletcher and continuation with Carrick makes me think he can't see that. He might as well just stick a load of SAF's season review DVDs on repeat and save us the wages.

SAFMUTD

Totally agree, if the manager himself has said that he doesn't do much coaching and you dont want to replace him then at least give him proper support.

Carrick has been here since LVG and I dont really get what he offers, actually everyone besides Phelan are pretty much low profile managers or just simple explayers with ties to the club, which would explain why we look so poor tactically wise.

DoomSlayer

He has spent more time (with the managers listed) than you and everyone else in this forum, that's for sure. Shaw's statement is based on experience and real-life encounters, not just reading and over-analysing interviews and reports on the internet.

Hughes35

This doesn't surprise me. I think he needs to employ a top coach to help him though.

Look how good Utd were when Fergie brought in Queiroz.

b82REZ

Undoubtedly his strongest attribute. I don't think it's enough to elevate us to the next level but you can tell he understands the importance of squad morale and he's done exceptionally well at keeping morale high throughout his tenure.

tomaldinho1

I think this is one part of Ole's tenure that no one is divided on?

He does seem good with players and the players are 100% happier than under Mou. That really is the main difference for me, the lifting of the negativity around the club from Mou's tenure.

Totally agree, if the manager himself has said that he doesn't do much coaching and you dont want to replace him then at least give him proper support.

Carrick has been here since LVG and I dont really get what he offers, actually everyone besides Phelan are pretty much low profile managers or just simple explayers with ties to the club, which would explain why we look so poor tactically wise.
The issue here is I think this SAF (post Queiroz' return) type figurehead is an antiquated setup. Look at the best clubs in football for the last few years, the managers are all hands on tactically and, usually, dogmatic in how they believe trophies can be won - even someone like Zidane who often gets criticised as just letting the team do their thing (which is clearly not true even if you've only watched Real once) has a pretty interesting midfield setup. I agree the calibre/experience level of our coaching team should be improved but then you have the question of who has that level of experience and wouldn't want a manager's seat?

SAFMUTD

I think this is one part of Ole's tenure that no one is divided on?

He does seem good with players and the players are 100% happier than under Mou. That really is the main difference for me, the lifting of the negativity around the club from Mou's tenure.

The issue here is I think this SAF (post Queiroz' return) type figurehead is an antiquated setup. Look at the best clubs in football for the last few years, the managers are all hands on tactically and, usually, dogmatic in how they believe trophies can be won - even someone like Zidane who often gets criticised as just letting the team do their thing (which is clearly not true even if you've only watched Real once) has a pretty interesting midfield setup. I agree the calibre/experience level of our coaching team should be improved but then you have the question of who has that level of experience and wouldn't want a manager's seat?
Cant argue with that logic, if good enough with the most important aspect of the game (the tactic and implementation) why settle to be a coach when you can be a manager?

Very good point there.

OleBoiii

The two most important parts of the job: being a good man-manager and not losing your cool in the press. Ole is seemingly an expert at both.

As for his tactical nous: if he was as bad as people think, then he wouldn't do so well(overall, you potentially pedantic children!) against the so-called elite managers. For a coach that embraces adaptability rather than a very strict style, the biggest tactical tests are the games where you potentially need to make big changes. Ole has generally done well in those tests.

Failing to break down smaller teams has very little to do with tactical nous. When the opponent sits deep, the deciding factor is mentality and the individual skills of the players. We seemingly have the right mentality, but we don't have top class strikers to save us on rainy days.

We need a top class goalscorer and a DM to make sure the opponent don't get chances out of nowhere as a result of squandering possession. If we get this, then I'm sure we'll break 85 points and go far in the CL.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Cant argue with that logic, if good enough with the most important aspect of the game (the tactic and implementation) why settle to be a coach when you can be a manager?

Very good point there.
Yep. It's sad in a way because I swear most good Assistant Managers and coaches fail when they try to go it alone - Phelan, Rene, Queiroz, McClaren did ok, the Pool guy (brain or whatever they called him), Rui Faria

big rons sovereign

How many should he know before he's entitled to his opinion?
edit.
Actually, I can see you've already been hammered on this.

Skills

Snitch
It's pretty obvious morale isn't/hasn't been an issue under Solskjaer.

RUCK4444

Hard to disagree with this.

I mean, look at all our comebacks this season. Our fighting spirit and team unity seems to be the best it’s been since SAF.

The slow starts that caused all of those comebacks is a problem though. And man management won’t fix that.
This. Fergie's strongest trait by far was his incredible man management, in a nutshell it's probably the most important.

SAF always had top coaches with him to implement his vision, he knew his limitations and he knew his strengths.

Frustrates me when fans here are willing to rip it up and start again when the reality is there isn't even a perfect successor available. We are at the point where things could really 'click.' We have to let that run it's course and actually support him and the team until such time ffs.

tomaldinho1

For me he isn’t as horny as van gaal.
From memory LVG actually loved Shaw and Shaw liked LVG so I'd assume most of this is aimed at Mou. LVG was just direct, he made him get in shape and he praised him so much afterwards - I remember he started forming a great partnership with Memphis down the left and LVG said it would be the 'season of Luke Shaw' or something. Then the injury and Mou and probably a few wasted years for his career. I sometimes think did some of the exciting talents we had like Martial and Shaw lose out on really kicking on with Mourinho, he was here a while and it seems like yesterday both were teenagers but they're mid twenties now.

SAFMUTD

Yep. It's sad in a way because I swear most good Assistant Managers and coaches fail when they try to go it alone - Phelan, Rene, Queiroz, McClaren did ok, the Pool guy (brain or whatever they called him), Rui Faria
I think its weird too, could it be because they're only focus on one side? Meaning attacking coach or defensive coach? Etc

But not all assistant managers/coaches fail, Mourinho and Pep were coaches for Barca under LVG if I remember correctly.

Also I think as you said football has evolved, we now see the managerial side more printed in to the team, thats why beyond results people are focusing on style and potential. Thinking how that manager would replicate his style in their team, a clear example is Naggelsmann who almost everyone is raving about and want him to be at their club.

Anyway we have deviated this thread enough, cheers pal nice chat!

Lentwood

Man-Management is THE most important characteristic for the Manager to excel at!

Does anybody actually think that Pep, Klopp, SAF and Jose had so much success without being superb man-managers?

Other managers who might have been better tactically or better coaches have failed because they can’t man-manage

Ladron de redcafe

That's Solskjaer's strength, it seems. His players love him, and things seem to be positive when he's around. Is that enough to balance his tactical ineptitude? That's the key point and that's why people disagree regarding what he should be ranked as a manager.