Ole's Touchline Performance

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Mourinho recently commented (about Lampard, but still) that a manager should be yelling at the pitchside when their team is losing:

"stay on the touchline when your team is losing and stay calm when your team is winning.”
source: https://sports.yahoo.com/mourinho-reveals-said-lampard-during-115348879.html

I can't help but wonder: in yesterday's game, when Maguire gifted Spurs their first goal, if Ole had ripped him a second one from the touchline, would Maguire had gotten his shit together and avoided making another horrible fumble just couple minutes later? We know that Ole does very little in-game coaching. Different managers have very different opinions about it. And yet, if your player's head is clearly not in the game, what should a manager do? I can see how it is a horrible idea to take a captain off in the first minutes, but what other ways are there to make sure that one player doesn't cause throwing the entire game away?

Opinions?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We literally don’t know, maybe it would have made things worse?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair I'll give him a pass for yesterday... he had the season finale of Ted Lasso to catch up with.

UmbroDays

At what stage did Ole come to the touchline? I think I saw him after half-time, but I think after the Maguire mistake and the quick freekick (or goal 2, I can't remember) he should have seen that game slipping and players not playing positions properly.

You don't need to scream and shout, but there needs to be a little more presence I think.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Well, what about Klopp then? He never stops yelling at anyone within sight, yet they shipped 7 goals.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well, what about Klopp then? He never stops yelling at anyone within sight, yet they shipped 7 goals.
I swear yesterday everytime they cut to him he had that exaggerated look off bewilderedment / disbelief that he likes to do when things aren't going his way (with the occasional fake laugh at his crazy this shit it)... Did wonder exactly how that was helping things.

Overall though I agree, doesn't make that much of a different whether you're ranting or raving or whatever for the most part.

TheGodsInRed

If I was a manager I would want to be higher up so you get a better view of the pitch. I’m surprised more managers don’t sit higher, you don’t see the game great at pitch level.

When I play football (much lower level obviously), I forget the manager is even watching.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What is he doing with that ipad of his?
Watching the game in 4k resolution for a more immersive experience. I know I wouldn't leave the bench so I could watch the game on that thing, as well.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
The most disappointing part is Ole only has a Plan A. If that doenst work, he doesnt tend to make game changing substitutions - just the usual 80th minute subs.

In this era and with us never going to dominate all games, to not have another plan or even quickly adapt to change mid-game is mind boggling. To go 3 games now with our fullbacks getting blitzed (with them in bad form or not) is mental. It just doesn't look like he is aware of how to tackle it and how to give them a bit of help.

To me, he lacks majorly in versatility. We complained Jose was boring and played one way - Ole plays one way and we end up being more often than not - shit.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mourinho recently commented (about Lampard, but still) that a manager should be yelling at the pitchside when their team is losing:

source: https://sports.yahoo.com/mourinho-reveals-said-lampard-during-115348879.html

I can't help but wonder: in yesterday's game, when Maguire gifted Spurs their first goal, if Ole had ripped him a second one from the touchline, would Maguire had gotten his shit together and avoided making another horrible fumble just couple minutes later? We know that Ole does very little in-game coaching. Different managers have very different opinions about it. And yet, if your player's head is clearly not in the game, what should a manager do? I can see how it is a horrible idea to take a captain off in the first minutes, but what other ways are there to make sure that one player doesn't cause throwing the entire game away?

Opinions?
To be fair though it was 1-1. So we weren’t losing, by the Mourinho logic no need to stay on touchline yet.

Foxbatt

SAF always has a go at players during the match. I still remember his swearing at Evans in one game. It was caught on camera too.

Anybody's Guess

Does shouting at the touchline help? Perhaps. At the very least it would indicate that Ole has an idea of what needs to change, rather than doing his worst David Moyes looking into the abyss stare which helps absolutely nobody.

I have a very difficult time believing that Ole gives such a precise and all covering team talk before the game that there's literally nothing he can do or say during the game that would help pull things into the right direction. Then again, in-game management was already established to be one of the weaker areas of Ole's attributes as a manager. He gets the club, though. If only he'd understand football too.

Reactions: Penna

DRM

I don't like this passiveness on the dugout. Was the same with LVG

Okey

It's a tricky one. I for one, like a manager active at the touchline. Ole is a generally passive character, but plenty such have been very successful - Zidane is way more passive for example. Just the way they are, I guess. Last night, Klopp was highlighted ripping Adrian and the defenders said new one, yet the malady only deepened. So, while it changes the optics, I doubt it's on the list of our problems.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Yesterday was an anomaly for Liverpool.

Yesterday was a matter of time for United after the Palace and Brighton performances.

NinjaFletch

I'm sure it's irrational, but I want to snap that fecking iPad in half.

el3mel

Ole is as useless on touch line as LVG was. LVG also used to sit on the bench and he was sending Giggs to say the instructions for him. Pretty useless. Ole also seems to do nothing bar following the game on his IPad.

Fergie knew when to sit on the bench and when to go and stand up and scream or instruct.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think it's even more important with no crowd. It looks utterly impotent. No leadership.

NewGlory

SAF always has a go at players during the match. I still remember his swearing at Evans in one game. It was caught on camera too.
Yeah. SAF's 'hairdryer treatment' could maybe put some sense into some of these players when they have heads up their asses.

LVGSdive

If I was a manager I would want to be higher up so you get a better view of the pitch. I’m surprised more managers don’t sit higher, you don’t see the game great at pitch level.

When I play football (much lower level obviously), I forget the manager is even watching.
What the manager does on the touchline is all for the camera. There's a clip of Rafa doing all this hand malarkey on the sidelines then the camera sweeps behind him and none of the players were paying attention to him at all.

Marcus

Yeah. SAF's 'hairdryer treatment' could maybe put some sense into some of these players when they have heads up their asses.
Yup put the fear of facing the manager at half time or full time into their hearts. I really don't think Ole has that. The players probably make fun of him behind his back and he knows that.

NewGlory

Yup put the fear of facing the manager at half time or full time into their hearts. I really don't think Ole has that. The players probably make fun of him behind his back and he knows that.
Honestly, I doubt any player makes fun of Ole. He is no pushover. Ole has that devilish side behind the babyface smile, that would scare the hell out of anybody who ends-up facing the darkness :D

youngrell

For what it's worth, I don't think Ole is helping himself by sitting next to that screen the whole time. It's fine to have it there to go over replays etc, but not for the whole match.

The few times you have seen him barking orders on the touchline, they have been in big games where he maybe feels it's more needed, but perhaps it would help in other games too. I think he puts too much trust in the players on times.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Ole is as useless on touch line as LVG was. LVG also used to sit on the bench and he was sending Giggs to say the instructions for him. Pretty useless. Ole also seems to do nothing bar following the game on his IPad.

Fergie knew when to sit on the bench and when to go and stand up and scream or instruct.
TBF that was VGs philosophy. I remember him saying he doesn't shout on the sidelines because it was enough to coach his players in training. Probably one of the many reasons he got binned.

el3mel

TBF that was VGs philosophy. I remember him saying he doesn't shout on the sidelines because it was enough to coach his players in training. Probably one of the many reasons he got binned.
And it was a terrible philosophy.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
At what stage did Ole come to the touchline? I think I saw him after half-time, but I think after the Maguire mistake and the quick freekick (or goal 2, I can't remember) he should have seen that game slipping and players not playing positions properly.

You don't need to scream and shout, but there needs to be a little more presence I think.
I believe he got up and spoke to the fourth official when Martial was sent off.

RashyForPM

We literally don’t know, maybe it would have made things worse?
Lose 1-7. What a massive difference.
I think he’s just given up and lost respect of the players.
I’m Ole out as I feel he is nowhere near tactically astute enough, but I have so much respect for the man for his general behaviour and achievements as a player. However, I, and the rest of the fanbase, have no respect for the players. They ought to know that they and the board will be the ones we turn on if (hopefully not when) things truly turn to shit before they down tools. Ole will just be sacked with our mass well-wishes and love for him more than intact.