Oliver Norwood

68-99-08

Seen him a couple times this year for the u18s and looks a decent player. One of the players who seems to have better technique coming through in his play. Would he be one of our better centre midfielders coming through? How would anyone rate him up against Drinkwater, Evans and Hewson?

(P.S. where has James Derbyshire been this season?)

since 1987

Founder and Chairman of the Kill Sjarkus Club. Oth
Seen him a couple times this year for the u18s and looks a decent player. One of the players who seems to have better technique coming through in his play. Would he be one of our better centre midfielders coming through? How would anyone rate him up against Drinkwater, Evans and Hewson?

Derbyshire has been injured.

RedPhil1957

Norwood's form has been a bit in and out this year difficult to judge his future potential. Drinkwater has improved and has probably looked the most accomplished of the other players you mention.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
His delivery all round was great today, he's good with a dead ball.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

Norwood is a talented lad and I think it's quite close when you compare him to Magnus Eikrem for example. However drinkwater, evans, hewson, james, clevelry are all quite different

In terms of those you've mentioned

I would say Drinkwater because he different to the other. He's a runner with the ball, a very tidy player. I'd then have Norwood because I think he's potentially a very important player for Northern Ireland. He has very good quality and can produce something out of nothing. I'd then have evans and hewson tied. I think in the midfield position while they show promise, I don't think they're as good

I'm sure Evans will win many caps for Northern Ireland mind you. However Norwood have that extra something in terms of going forward and creating chances. Both Eire and Northern Ireland could do with more players of the ability Oliver has.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
That's an outrageously good FK. They're making a big fuss about it on Sky Sports News.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
That's an outrageously good FK. They're making a big fuss about it on Sky Sports News.
That wasn't the one from tonight, if you're talking about the one posted above. The one against the Czech Rep. was even better!

charleysurf

That wasn't the one from tonight, if you're talking about the one posted above. The one against the Czech Rep. was even better!
No, I meant tonights. Like I said they were making a fuss on SSN about it.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I'm sure Evans will win many caps for Northern Ireland mind you. However Norwood have that extra something in terms of going forward and creating chances. Both Eire and Northern Ireland could do with more players of the ability Oliver has.
Due to rule changes from FIFA, he could still play for England if he turns out to be really good ;)

charleysurf

Did you manage to cap it, Charley?
Never thought to do it. Won't get a chance to do it now. Hope somebody else got it. Deserves a wider audience.

RedPhil1957

He played well as did all the United lads against a powerful Czech Rep side (who unfortunately fall over alot). First half was all the Czech's but second half the Irish very nearly got the draw and should have had a penalty.

Striker10

got it too. credit to him. great goal

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
United's 'new beckham' hailed as a genius

MANCHESTER UNITED'S 'NEW BECKHAM' OLIVER NORWOOD HAILED AS A GENIUS | News Of The World

By Mark Stevenson, 23/11/2009

OLIVER NORWOOD could find himself fast-tracked into Northern Ireland's bid to reach the Euro 2012 finals.
The Burnley-born teenager, who turned his back on England, is ticking all the right boxes as far as boss Nigel Worthington is concerned.

"The lad is a genius," said Worthington after watching the Manchester United midfielder score two stunning set-piece goals for the Under-21s against Germany and Czech Republic.

"He is going to be a very good player," predicts Worthington. "What he can do with the ball from free-kicks is remarkable."

The expectation levels are already rising for a player who qualifies for the Irish through his parentage.

Hailed as the new David Beckham at United, the 18-year-old made his England Under-16 debut against Belgium four years ago but now looks certain to be featuring in Worthington's future plans.

Worthy added: "From the day I first worked with him, you could see his technique and ability were excellent.

"In fact, his quality at free-kick situations is amazing for his age.

"You always know that eight or nine times out of ten, he is going to score when he places the ball for a free.

"It is a great talent to have on top of his impressive general play."

Norwood's eye-catching displays in the United Academy have elevated him into Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's reserve side, but he isn't letting success go to his head.

"I just want to keep playing to the best of my ability," said Norwood. "I've been involved with United since I was seven so I have been lucky."

His free-kick prowess has inevitably drawn comparisons with Beckham and Norwood admits he has taken a leaf out of the former England skipper's book.

"I spend hours practising. I love the challenge of beating the keeper."

Worthington, who has now opened talks on a new contract with Irish FA president Raymond Kennedy, is encouraged by the progress of several players in the U-21 ranks.

He says: "The future is full of positives as far as I am concerned."

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't know if he's rejected England at any level yet. However, Norwood wouldn't make the England Under-21s but he would make the Northern Ireland Under-21s fairly easily. He's still eligible to play for England, of course.
i read an interview where he said he was committed to playing for NI and wont play for England

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Good player, but Worthington's going over the top a bit there. He still has a long way to go.

rocks13

Good player, but Worthington's going over the top a bit there. He still has a long way to go.
Perhaps, but those comments are off the back of excellent performances against two of the best u21 teams in Europe.

I'd say he has a long way to go to establish himself at Utd but looks fairly nailed on to play for Northern Ireland at full international standard.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
it'll be like Jonny Evans, he'll get a dozen games for NI before he makes his first team breakthrough. Do him no harm though

Mainoldo

Im looking to do a write up on Norwood next week, what do you think are the main points I should include?
'He can take a good freekick'

'The new David Beckham'

'Northan Ireland's new hero'

'He's English'

or just the next somebody who will probably end up being a nobody...

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
""His name is an anagram for 'indoor love row'," says Redcafe's Elliott."

I'd be fine with that, CLK.

Decotron

Hes quite similar to Andy Reid but less versatile in terms of playing on the wings.

Nani Nana reckons he has a terrible attitude and is basically shite (based on 20mins of a match he saw I think)

Striker10

Thanks for that I had those down what do you think are his strengths/weaknesses does anybody mind being quoted in the piece?
oh ok ;)

His strengths are his confidence in his ability. He will try things you don't expect and he's calable of producing moments of quality. His set pieces are very good and you can see where the beckham comparision comes into things. He's capable of supplying and scoring goals.

His weakness is his lack of experience though he's getting recognition with Northern Ireland and it would suprise no one if he's capped for them before playing a first team game for United. He's not particularly slow but he's a sturdy player who has promise.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Nani Nana reckons he has a terrible attitude and is basically shite (based on 20mins of a match he saw I think)
Reckon that's more to do with Norwood being a better free kick taker than Tosic.