On the positive side ...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Onana, Mainoo, Garnacho, Mount and Hojlund are a decent base to rebuild this team, once we get the brain dead out the club. Martinez and Shaw, too, if they ever get off the physio table.

Come on, always look on the bright side, eh?
Willy Kambwala is a real talent. I have become a fan of the kid. Would love to see him play much more

Laurencio

In this shitshow of a season, I'm quite pleased to see that we have two teenagers that look like they might become world beaters.

mckenzie79

Genuinely curious, any names from the current squad you'd add to that list? I'm just not sure I trust Rashford, Mctominay, Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, AwB and Bruno to transform into vital parts of a title winning team having been, in some cases, under 3 or 4 different managers here already. Add to this Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen, Evans, who are clearly not part of the future and it looks a hell of a rebuild in order.

Blame EtH AND the previous managers and the club for this mess i'd argue.

No. This team should be doing better. Ten Haag is shit. Sack him now we might win a cup.

Standards have fallen big Time

Dan_F

Dalot's been at united since 2018, he's been okay this season, why do fans always think a period of decent football should mean they're going to take us where we need to get. It's getting ridiculous

He really is a backup RB if you're really thinking of beating a City to a title in the future, people need to get their heads screwed on the quality that's truly needed to get us a level higher - and yes, I say that for half of the squad.
Because players improve as they get older and he’s worth giving an extra season to see if he can take another jump forward. At least he stays fit, which puts him above literally every other fecking defender at the club.

Plus we’re so far off challenging city it hurts. We’re looking for players to keep us in the champions league right now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's never that bad, there's enough pieces here but yeah the 3 young guys are definitely the shining lights to build around.

bosnian_red

Dalot's been at united since 2018, he's been okay this season, why do fans always think a period of decent football should mean they're going to take us where we need to get. It's getting ridiculous

He really is a backup RB if you're really thinking of beating a City to a title in the future, people need to get their heads screwed on the quality that's truly needed to get us a level higher - and yes, I say that for half of the squad.
He came as a youth player basically with 0 professional experience. He's a very good player and has developed into that pretty normally at a normal age for a full back.

Irwin99

No. This team should be doing better. Ten Haag is shit. Sack him now we might win a cup.

Standards have fallen big Time
No one is arguing against that but i'm sick to death of some of these players AND the manager. I'm not saying they're toxic players but standards, as you put it, dictate that the majority are not title challenging players let alone title winning quality.

Dazzmondo

We have an underappreciated young talent in Garnacho imo. Gets a lot of stick on here at times but he's a big positive for our future along with Mainoo and Hojlund.

Crashoutcassius

Genuinely curious, any names from the current squad you'd add to that list? I'm just not sure I trust Rashford, Mctominay, Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, AwB and Bruno to transform into vital parts of a title winning team having been, in some cases, under 3 or 4 different managers here already. Add to this Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen, Evans, who are clearly not part of the future and it looks a hell of a rebuild in order.

Blame EtH AND the previous managers and the club for this mess i'd argue.
yes rashford, shaw, maguire, varane, casemiro, bruno from your list have all played at a far higher standard than under this manager, and aren't too old to turn it around. you could even argue eriksen who just turned 32 and whose games was not based on physicals, should improve a lot.

your goalposts of 'trust them to transform into vital parts of a title winning team' is pretty high and clearly doesn't apply to any of the players in the OP anyway.

Ollie Derbyshire

Then we need to get rid of all of them bar who?

bosnian_red

Yeah, we'll lose them. Why would you stay with this if you're Garnacho?
Cause he's 19 and he's on a long contract and we'll figure it out before long, thankfully.

Stop pissing yourself about losing players. The structure above the manager is changing, but will take time given all the gardens that need tending to. Sure, the current manager is inept tactically. But that (should) change in the summer, or during next season. It doesn't take that long to change things.

Fooza

Then we need to get rid of all of them bar who?
I see what OP is saying, if we are going to win the league, I can see the players his mentioned in or around that team. I just think the players we have that's been around in the previous managers all need to go now. They don't have the mentality in needs to take us to another level after years of failure and a lot of these players have had periods of inconsistencies that can't win leagues.

eire-red

I guess the real positive is that results like this just give EtH less time at the club?

I think all my goodwill for him as simply evaporated at this stage. Is he the guy to get the best out of those players you've mentioned?

Irwin99

yes rashford, shaw, maguire, varane, casemiro, bruno from your list have all played at a far higher standard than under this manager, and aren't too old to turn it around. you could even argue eriksen who just turned 32 and whose games was not based on physicals, should improve a lot.

your goalposts of 'trust them to transform into vital parts of a title winning team' is pretty high and clearly doesn't apply to any of the players in the OP anyway.
That's Manchester United though. Or what the standard should be and what it was. If they're not good enough to win the league or the champions league (Varane and Casemiro aside, who are getting on a bit) then what the heck are they doing here at the club for so long?

You say it doesn't apply to the players in the OP but they have youth on their side and can take time to develop. I think a lot of fans look at the jobs Klopp and Arteta have done in developing players and can see some hope that we could have something similar and we can build around these players.

Personally, I've seen a constant cycle at this club since Sir Alex left of one positive season (or two) and then a spectacular failure season where we start all over again. A big part of that problem has been the structure but also holding on to average or unreliable players for far too long. I really hope INEOS breaks this cycle.

Winrar

On the bright side… we broke another record by being the first team to lose a match after being ahead in the 100th minute

frostbite

Onana, Mainoo, Garnacho, Mount and Hojlund are a decent base to rebuild this team, once we get the brain dead out the club. Martinez and Shaw, too, if they ever get off the physio table.

I like Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund. They have great potential and they may become world class players. However, they are very young, their peak is still 3-4 years from now, and it is not guaranteed that they will improve (see Januzaj).

I don't like Onana and Mount (injuries). I don't think they will be here in 3 years.

In conclusion, after spending 400 million in two summers, we don't really have any great backbone for the next one or two years (at least).

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
On the positive side we beat Liverpool at the weekend to dent their title hopes and beat City in the Cup final to dent their double treble hopes.

Last edited:

Abraxas

Not sure about Mount I don't see anything there, but Onana has improved quite a bit now which suggests GK might not be an immediate concern, Mainoo is genuinely exciting, so is Garnacho, and Hojlund has a real chance. Fairly good prospects in attacking areas with those 3 but they need a bit of help at this stage of their career.

Defence and midfield, well, it needs a lot of work.

GueRed

Mainoo and Garnacho developing well.
Hojlund showing promise
Dalot improvement.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I loved Mount play when he came in, in pretty difficult circumstances I'd imagine.
Agree. He is a proper football player unlike rashford, antony, Bruno and casemiro.

Like some said above we have a good nucleus with mainoo, mount, hojlund, garnacho, shaw and martinez. We need a good manager and some real football players and we can compete.

Diablo could be added to the list if we ever get to see him play with our stupid manager.

Sea-Cow

You have got to be fecking kidding me.

Onana has all the fortitude of a poppadom and the agility of a pensioner on a solid dose of weed.

Hojlund has been less than stellar despite the physical effort. His game is nowhere the level to start for us, especially at 70m.

Mount is a discount London Beckham who is a complete waste of money and won't play because the Portuguese fraud captain shall always play no matter the man in charge.

I honestly didn't think I could ever have no hope but that's where I am right now given the names (Southgate uurgh) being linked to replace the current fraud-in-chief.
Is everyone just frustrated with last night, and thus feeling overly negative? Rasmus is a wonderful center forward with all of the tools needed to be a great striker at any club. He has tenacity, work rate, excellent acceleration, can strike the ball well, and has very good hold up play. I think I could see him improve in the air but, he is very young and has time to do so if he works on it.

His stats this season aren't great but he has two wide players that almost never pass to him or even look to pass when they're within 30 yards of goal.

No Love

Agree. He is a proper football player unlike rashford, antony, Bruno and casemiro.

Like some said above we have a good nucleus with mainoo, mount, hojlund, garnacho, shaw and martinez. We need a good manager and some real football players and we can compete.

Diablo could be added to the list if we ever get to see him play with our stupid manager.
They say… he is a legend.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Is everyone just frustrated with last night, and thus feeling overly negative? Rasmus is a wonderful center forward with all of the tools needed to be a great striker at any club. He has tenacity, work rate, excellent acceleration, can strike the ball well, and has very good hold up play. I think I could see him improve in the air but, he is very young and has time to do so if he works on it.

His stats this season aren't great but he has two wide players that almost never pass to him or even look to pass when they're within 30 yards of goal.
He might have all the base qualities but his positioning and eye for goal is downright atrocious and his hold-up play is not far behind.

He is absolutely nowhere near the level we require if we want to achieve anything significant next year, at least not as a leading attacker. The closest comparison is Darwin and he took a season to get going under one of the two best systems in the league after being great in the CL.

Hojlund is nowhere near where Darwin was when he joined the scousers and we're even further away in terms of structure, not to mention coaching.

Honestly, reading nonsense like he's 'wonderful CF' reminds me of peak Arsenal delusion and we won't get anywhere if our owners have the same standards for excellence.

Sea-Cow

He might have all the base qualities but his positioning and eye for goal is downright atrocious and his hold-up play is not far behind.

He is absolutely nowhere near the level we require if we want to achieve anything significant next year, at least not as a leading attacker. The closest comparison is Darwin and he took a season to get going under one of the two best systems in the league after being great in the CL.

Hojlund is nowhere near where Darwin was when he joined the scousers and we're even further away in terms of structure, not to mention coaching.

Honestly, reading nonsense like he's 'wonderful CF' reminds me of peak Arsenal delusion and we won't get anywhere if our owners have the same standards for excellence.
Haha I'd say nonsense is a little harsh mate. I strongly agree with you about the structure of the club and the coaching at Pool being vastly superior to United, but I guess I also strongly disagree about Rasmus. I am very happy we have him and I see a much superior striker to Darwin.

Stig

Onana ?

Stig

Remember when we extended the stadium a bit and couldn't grow grass, well, we haven't had that problem for ages - so I would say that's a real positive that people have overlooked.

In fact a quick Google has thrown this up:

winning the Premier League’s best pitch award four times in the past six years - source The Athletic in 2022

A great feat that everyone seems to have overlooked.

Red_toad

I have to agree. We have too many other areas which are now priority this summer, but another weak season like this and we should be looking to replace Onana.

What good is a goalkeeper if they can't make saves other than those straight at you? Even simple saves look awkward for him.

That picture of Garnacho, Hojlund and Mainoo will become iconic for being the future core of the team.

Send Harrison out on loan to one of the other INEOS clubs, upon returning then he's understudy or replacement. The lad looks to have excellent potential, could well do a De Gea and be playing in the first team as a teenager.
I don't see Onana as an issue that'll be addressed in the summer, we have far far greater issues and more difficult players to be moved on. Then he will need to play behind a better back 4 that's not continually allowing opposing players freedom in our box.

The_Midfielder

The only positive side is the fa cup
And we have 7 more games before ETH goes back to Netherlands

brewers

Started supporting United in 81 , we were a cup team for a whilst growing up but I was told all about our past . I've lived through the best times and now this feels like I did at school again . My son was born in 99 and only knew good times as a kid I've told him we will be back a sleeping giant ready to be reborn . I so hope I'm right I'm 50 now and want to see it before I go .

sugar_kane

Breaking the Liverpool hoodoo is a big positive.

The last couple of seasons the players looked like they thought they might actually die playing against them.

They’re still outclassing us, but we don't look scared of them anymore and that’s important.

The results are equally as important, three games unbeaten including a fantastic last minute win compared to the past two seasons with aggregate scores of 0-9 and 2-8.

Yakuza_devils

I have a lot of faith in our academy again. We already have Garnacho, Mainoo, Amad. Looks like we have another star in the making in Willy Kambwala. He was outstanding imvd Liverpool. Hope there are more youth to come like Class of 92.

Onana is showing sign of a top GK vs Liverpool. Dalot is also becoming better and better.

Giggsy13

There is a decent enough foundation to build on from Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo, Dalot, Onana and possibly Kambwala, but we need the footballing structure in place to bring in some cracking under the radar signings like we used to back in the day ie. Park, Vidic and Evra. This has been a season of massive turbulence, but those players have stepped up in difficult circumstances. At the very least they’ve had to develop a thick skin and some resilience, which may pay off in the future.

The_Midfielder

I have a lot of faith in our academy again. We already have Garnacho, Mainoo, Amad. Looks like we have another star in the making in Willy Kambwala. He was outstanding imvd Liverpool. Hope there are more youth to come like Class of 92.

Onana is showing sign of a top GK vs Liverpool. Dalot is also becoming better and better.
Build around
Mainoo, garnacho, onana, kamballa, diallo, hojlund, dalot
Keep Bruno and rashford, Mount,Lisandro, Shaw ( even if we get a top lb) and maybe Antony
Plug in the other gaps with hungry players ..
That leaves us with 3-4 1st team players we need to buy
2 midfielders who can slot into 1st 11
Backup striker
2 cbs to support Lisandro