On this day 13 years ago

Giggsyking

On this day 13 years ago, Paul Scholes unleashed his legendary rocket against Barcelona in the semi final second leg to send us to the final
What a goal, what a night. This goal deserve its own thread :drool:

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
How is that 13 years ago already. What a game, I’ve never been so nervous watching a match before. Those 6 added minutes of time nearly killed me. What a night.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Remember watching the first leg round a footy pal's house. Ronaldo missing a pen, but we managed a 0-0.

That second leg was a cling on job of ages!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
... and 25 years to the day sine Kevin Keegan's loony rant about "loving to beat us" and that we had to get something at Middlesborough... I think we managed, thanks Kevin!

hungrywing

Flashback to the player ratings thread of said game:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/ratings-vs-barca.199685/

Overall, the general consensus was that Rio, Brown and Tevez were our best players, which I'd agree with. Still, Scholes, though :drool:
'Member these?

VDS - 7

Hargreaves - 7
Ferdinand - 9
Brown - 10
Evra - 7.5

Nani - 6.5
Scholes - 9
Carrick - 6
Park - 8

Tevez - 9
Ronaldo - 7
--
Giggs - 6
Fletcher - 6
VDS - great save from Messi
Hargreaves - not the best but he's out of position
Rio - superb
Wes - fecking brilliant
Evra - strong, bit wasteful on the ball
Carrick - good defending but no authority, needed him to put a foot on the ball tonight
Scholes - genius
Park - what a bonus he's been in the Barca games
Ronaldo - unselfish, didn't get much joy from Zambrotta but who does?
Tevez - passion, effort, class, I've turned into Alan Hansen
Nani - gave the ball away far too easily

Fletcher - one misplaced pass in a bad position, otherwise good
Giggs - terrible cameo
Mik - came on, didn't feck up, well done Mik
VDS - 7 He's forgotten how to kick again. Brwned!!

Hargreaves - 7 Showed plenty of guts. Refrained from going completely mental at ref
Rio - 9 A leader and a winner
Wes - 8 Kept panicking, but solid as a rock
Evra - 8 feck off Barcelona, I'm Patrice Evra. Went off with pretend head injury

Carrick - 7 Some crucial tackles. Why can English midfielders never get a foot on the game when playing foreign teams who know how to pass?
Scholes - 8 Not really sure why we kept leaving him one on one against Lionel Messi. Even from corners it happened. It's just not a very good idea. What a goal! It almost seemes to happen in slow motion, with the pitch and goal getting bigger as the ball came closer to the net. by the time it got there, the goalkeeper was stood a good half a mile away. I want to marry Paul Scholes

Park - 7 nuisance factor, especially in the first half
Ronaldo - 7 Barca contained him well, but made sure to make good use of what he had of the ball. Kept fouling people
Tevez - 9 Best he's played for us. Harrased people, held players off, linked up the team, and was a danger.
Nani - 7 Looked capable of doing something brilliant. Spent most of the game trying too hard to do so.

Deco - Look, just feck off
Pleat - Please be quiet

Real gutsy team performance that. We looked like proper winners. Don't think a single player ever looked like letting us down. Fantastic stuff.

Fletcher - one misplaced pass in a bad position, otherwise good
Giggs - terrible cameo
Mik - came on, didn't feck up, well done Mik
I 'member.

@Tumbling-Dice included for the feels.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought Nani played a very good game beside Rio and Brown
To be fair, everyone was brilliant!

Brown stepping in for Vidic did amazing, Hargreaves covered brilliantly for Brown, and Nani - in his debut season - made Rooney's absence less of an issue, which is/was huge praise.

& yeah, @hungrywing . A lot of classics from that thread! Befitting for such a game

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tevez and Park were phenomenal in that game

svn

It's odd, my memory is that game -mother than Scholes' goal - is pretty much limited to our brilliant defending in the last 5 minutes. Having watched the highlights, I forgot how many good chances we had. We could've easily been up 3-0 at half time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How’s it been 13 years! I was 15, I remember watching it at my mates house thinking we were rebels drinking WKD, planning our suits for the prom which was coming up. Man, seriously where’s the time gone. I’m old :(

Was so spoilt as a kid/teenager with United’s success. Take me back!

Everything about that season just felt right. Even the kits were cool. I had Nani 17 on the red one & Hargreaves 4 on the black one. What an exciting time that was to be a United fan.

Pass and Move

I always thought it was a bit of a lucky strike, the way it sliced into the top corner wasn't, I'm sure, planned. Still, bloody glad it went in.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Watched this game in a pub in Didsbury. Exciting times, but looking back I sometimes feel like we didn’t fully appreciate it as we had been so spoilt.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I was there, spent 850€ as student (financed by my credit card) for match ticket, flight and hotel. As “normal” match tickets were sold out I could only buy a package for more than 300€ which basically consisted of just the ticket anyway, rest was some useless vouchers.
I was a nervous wreck from the moment I took the plane until the game was finished. What a night and seeing Scholes score was just priceless (even better than seeing both Ronaldo and Messi play).

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Never been more nervous seeing a game out. To think Chelsea were in the same position a year later and actually conceded. Killer.