One billion euro release clause.

RedUnited86

They've always been set at such a level they're never likely to be activated anyway.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Release clauses are mandatory in Spain and he isn’t the first one with 1bn. Not really news.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah from what I recall Pedri, Ansu Fati, Rodrygo, Vini Jr all have €1b release clauses. Araujo might have it as well. Not sure if Gavi has renewed yet but I would assume he would as well.

Lebo

It would be nice if every players release clause was dependent on their salary, age and contract duration. I’m sure some math people can come up with a formula there. This thing of teams paying someone 50k but wanting to sell the player for 150million is rubbish. If you are worth more then you must be paid accordingly

Last edited:

wr8_utd

:'(
Ronaldo and a lot of other Madrid stars had it years ago. Barca got a bit wiser after the Neymar fiasco.

NotThatSoph

It would be nice if every players release clause was dependent on their salary, age and contract duration. I’m sure some math people can come up with a formula there. This thing of teams paying someone 50k but wanting to sell the player for 150million is rubbish. If you are worth more then you must be paid accordingly
They don't want to sell for that amount, it's that high because they don't want to sell at all. The reason Spanish clubs insert crazy high release clauses is the same reason English clubs don't do release clauses at all.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The players aren’t forced to sign a contract with high release clauses.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
So you're saying there's a chance for Boely to bid?

Oranges038

Release clauses have been 1bn for loads of players. Nothing to see here.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's very unlikely that these 1 billion euro release clauses hold up in court if the player decides they want out.

Lebo

The players aren’t forced to sign a contract with high release clauses.
No they aren’t in theory but how do you think a 17 year old with working class parents manage to negotiate a balanced contracts with Barca managers?
Anyway I find football contracts quite ridiculous by design. having a contract where one party has the means to terminate it is unacceptable.

Lebo

It's very unlikely that these 1 billion euro release clauses hold up in court if the player decides they want out.
I hope that’s the case because it doesn’t even make sense. Imagine your employer saying we are signing this contract so that you can work for us for 5 years. Want to add this clause that prohibits any other employer from buying your contract out.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I hope that’s the case because it doesn’t even make sense. Imagine your employer saying we are signing this contract so that you can work for us for 5 years. Want to add this clause that prohibits any other employer from buying your contract out.
There was a case a while back, Iban Zubiarre, the courts ruled in his favor and he did not have to pay the 30m release clause to leave. The ruling specifically mentioned that if the fee is exhorbitant then it doesn't really follow its intended purpose, which is to allow the player to quit.

The problem is it took a year to sort it out and he didn't play, obviously no player wants that.