One of the greatest things that happened in football was Robben's redemption in 2013!

matbezlima

One of the greatest things that happened in football was Robben winning the UCL in 2013 scoring the decisive goal and his great World Cup in 2014. It would be really sad if Robben had gone down in history as a bottler, many people dismissed him as a bottler before 2013. His reputation really improved significantly afterwards and when everyone talks about Robben now, people talk about the great player that he was without any "but". His performance against Spain in 2014 was also cathartic.

One of the greatest things that happened in football was Robben winning the UCL in 2013 scoring the decisive goal and his great World Cup in 2014. It would be really sad if Robben had gone down in history as a bottler, many people dismissed him as a bottler before 2013. His reputation really improved significantly afterwards and when everyone talks about Robben now, people talk about the great player that he was without any "but". His performance against Spain in 2014 was also cathartic.
one of the greatest things to happen on football!

I think this is, how do I put it, meh

Cabin Clown

He was clearly the best player at the 2014 World Cup in fairness to him.

manutddjw

Not a fan. He’s like Suarez where despite the breath taking talent, it’s completely negated by him being a serial cheat.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I remember him taking the Premier League by storm for a few months when he first appeared for Chelsea after recovering from his injury. I think they initially struggled to score goals before his made his debut, and then went on to score 2-4 goals in numerous games with him in the team. I have to admit as a Blackburn fan that he was the victim of an overly thuggish approach from us in a game at Ewood Park that sidelined him for the rest of the season.

Of course he had to make way and leave Real Madrid following their spending spree in the summer of 2009, but I remember he played pretty well for them during his 2 years there including in his 2nd season when they went on an excellent run (something like 17 wins and 1 draw from 18 matches) in La Liga after Juande Ramos took over and in-between their 2 Clasico defeats. I think he was a fans' favourite.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Funny thing is he did actually fluff his lines again in the 2013 final but got the lucky bounce and it trickled in.

Sometimes it just takes one thing going for you.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Robben was on the bench for much of the early part of that season as Heynckes preferred to play Muller on the right and Kroos in the centre, but when Kroos got injured he became a first team regular.

He scored in both semi-final matches plus final in the CL that year was definitely a noteworthy achievement. I wonder how many other players have done that in a European Cup / Champions League campaign.

matbezlima

Robben was on the bench for much of the early part of that season as Heynckes preferred to play Muller on the right and Kroos in the centre, but when Kroos got injured he became a first team regular.

He scored in both semi-final matches plus final in the CL that year was definitely a noteworthy achievement. I wonder how many other players have done that in a European Cup / Champions League campaign.
Neymar in 2015.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
In 2012 he missed a penalty to give Dortmund the title, missed a penalty to give Chelsea the Champions League and then had a truly awful Euros where the dutch went home in the group stages with 0 points. It was a nightmare year like very few top players have ever had, credit to him for managing to come back from it and win the treble next year.

The last minute goal in 2013 changed perceptions of him but I still think that overall he messed up way too often in the big stages during his career for a player that was as good as he was. His miss in the 2010 WC final vs Casillas comes to mind.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
As a Dutchman I'm obviously glad people have come to speak so fondly of Robben. For me he is top 3 Dutch player along with Cruyff and Van Basten.

But at the same time his achievements really sadden me, because it reminds me that for individual acknowledgements like the Ballon d'Or, marketing and social media is more important than actual on pitch performance. Robben not winning the golden ball at 2014 world cup is a disgrace, as well as him being continuously neglected at the Ballon d'Or.

Reactions: SteveJ

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Neymar in 2015.
Good shout for some reason I forgot that he scored twice in the 2nd leg of the semi-final in Munich, so at least both Neymar and Robben have a noteworthy CL feat there that neither Ronaldo or Messi have achieved. In fact Neymar scored in both quarter-final matches against PSG in 2015 as well didn't he.

I thought that Gerd Muller might have done it for Bayern in the 70s, but not quite.

matbezlima

Good shout for some reason I forgot that he scored twice in the 2nd leg of the semi-final in Munich, so at least both Neymar and Robben have a noteworthy CL feat there that neither Ronaldo or Messi have achieved. In fact Neymar scored in both quarter-final matches against PSG in 2015 as well didn't he.
Yes, Neymar did

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I wonder how many other players have done that in a European Cup / Champions League campaign.
European Cup era:
Puskás in 1960: 7 goals in 3 matches vs. Barcelona and Eintracht Frankfurt
Águas in 1961: 3 goals in 3 matches vs. Rapid Wien and Barcelona
Mazzola in 1964: 4 goals in 3 matches vs. Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid
Felo in 1964: 3 goals in 3 matches vs. Zürich and Internazionale
Van Basten in 1989: 4 goals in 3 matches vs. Real Madrid and Steaua Bucuresti
Champions League era:
Robben in 2013: 3 goals in 3 matches vs. Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund
Neymar in 2015: 4 goals in 3 matches vs. Bayern Munich and Juventus
Mané in 2018: 3 goals in 3 matches vs. Roma and Real Madrid

matbezlima

Van Basten scored 4 goals in 3 matches against Real Madrid and Steaua, not only 3 goals.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
European Cup era:

Champions League era:
Thanks so Robben was the first player to do it for 24 years. I was born in 1990 and I thought at the time that it wouldn't have been accomplished that regularly.

Often one person's pain (although Kroos has had an unbelievable career for Bayern, Real Madrid and Germany of course) can be another's gain, and if Kroos hadn't been injured in 2012/2013, would Robben have started those CL matches against Barcelona and Dortmund. At least he got his CL win, and he has proven himself in 4 different leagues.

Trezeguet17

Fifth best player of this era imo behind Xavi and Lahm.
For me this era started in 2008 (Pep took over Barca, Zidane already retired, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho declined)

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Robben was on the bench for much of the early part of that season as Heynckes preferred to play Muller on the right and Kroos in the centre, but when Kroos got injured he became a first team regular
He never played more than three games in a row in the first half of the season due to a variety of injuries.
In the second half of the season, he was not played in a couple of league games at a point where Bayern already had the title bagged and when CL games were up ahead. He never was benched when fit for any other reason afair

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So, where does he rank in the running ‘who was the best winger’ debate given he played in and around the same era as Giggs and Bale? (Albeit not for 20 years ;))

Blzbud

So, where does he rank in the running ‘who was the best winger’ debate given he played in and around the same era as Giggs and Bale? (Albeit not for 20 years ;))
Better than Bale, but not even close to Giggs;);)

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Gutted when we sold Robben, Fantastic player Was probably because he couldn't defend too. Classic Mourinho.

Mainly responsible for Del Horno getting a red in Barcelona CL game in 2006. I think that's why now.

Sold that summer. Never understood it at the time.

Mourinho was out in September at start of next season.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Funny thing is he did actually fluff his lines again in the 2013 final but got the lucky bounce and it trickled in.

Sometimes it just takes one thing going for you.
Already assisted the first goal, though. And for all necessary luck, his goal was quality, from anticipation to finish.

Edit: Just watched it again. Only bit of luck during the whole attack was for Piszczek's slight deflection of Ribery's backheel. Rest was deliberate from all players involved, Boateng, Ribery, Robben.

Last edited:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
As a Dutchman I'm obviously glad people have come to speak so fondly of Robben. For me he is top 3 Dutch player along with Cruyff and Van Basten.

But at the same time his achievements really sadden me, because it reminds me that for individual acknowledgements like the Ballon d'Or, marketing and social media is more important than actual on pitch performance. Robben not winning the golden ball at 2014 world cup is a disgrace, as well as him being continuously neglected at the Ballon d'Or.
Better than Gullit, Rijkaard, Neeskens, Seedorf, Stam?

That's a bit hard to believe.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Better than Gullit, Rijkaard, Neeskens, Seedorf, Stam?

That's a bit hard to believe.
For me, and I think many other Dutchies, yes. Quite convinced he'd have many more personal acknowledgements if he'd bothered with marketing, pr, and social media.

He is within Holland also the undisputed best Dutch player in an era where we came 2nd and 3rd in the world cup, 2014 being entirely thanks to him. Of the names you mentioned, only Rijkaard and Gullit can be considered really. The others, Stam, Bergkamp (who you forgot) etc are a notch below Robben.

Reactions: Invictus
For me, and I think many other Dutchies, yes. Quite convinced he'd have many more personal acknowledgements if he'd bothered with marketing, pr, and social media.

He is within Holland also the undisputed best Dutch player in an era where we came 2nd and 3rd in the world cup, 2014 being entirely thanks to him. Of the names you mentioned, only Rijkaard and Gullit can be considered really. The others, Stam, Bergkamp (who you forgot) etc are a notch below Robben.
probably more to do with the fact he was injury prone and unreliable early on his career - and then also seen as a cheat with his diving and theatrics rather than a lack of a PR team.

You can’t really compare Robben with a centre back in any case and I’m surprised anyone would pick Robben over Bergkamp.

Reynoldo

We probably could have got him + the same amount of money for Ronaldo had we asked at the time (Yes and Sneijder too)

RooneyLegend

The truth is his injuries stopped him from winning the award. If he had played the full campaign In 2013 he would've probably won it that season given his teams accomplishments.

AshRK

I know he dived a lot and all but I really wish we had signed him from Real madrid as a part of deal for Ronaldo. Proper winger who sir alex would have loved to have. Top player.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We probably could have got him + the same amount of money for Ronaldo had we asked at the time (Yes and Sneijder too)
I know he dived a lot and all but I really wish we had signed him from Real madrid as a part of deal for Ronaldo. Proper winger who sir alex would have loved to have. Top player.
Robben and Wesley Sneijder both said at the outset they would not used as makeweights in any deal for Ronaldo so that was never on the cards.

AshRK

Robben and Wesley Sneijder both said at the outset they would not used as makeweights in any deal for Ronaldo so that was never on the cards.
Then we could have bid for them separately. Both went for around a mere 15 million. Truth was Glazers were saving money back then. That was the beginning of our downfall. Sir Alex being a genius made us win some more trophies but we were regressing since Ronaldo and tevez left.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feck that final and feck his contribution for Bayern. Summer of 2010 is when it should've happened.

Still a brilliant player though. Best Dutch player I've seen since Marco van Basten. Should've at least won player of the tournament in 2014. A balon d'or would've been nice, but he played in the era of those 2 cnuts.