Only Fools and Horses Draft R1 - Physio vs EAP

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Physio

Tactics: 4411
Quick transitions and a normal defensive line.

Felipe Luis as the balanced LB behind the orthodox left-winger John Barnes. Petrescu to play the attacking RB to overlap Stevie Me who has a relative free role on the right utilising his goal threat and crossing. Silva and Rio as a pair of complete CBs whose passing abilities will aid immeasurably with the quick transitions especially since I’m not reliant on one passer at CB. Nigel Martyn was the best keeper in the Premier League in the late 90s and missed out on many England caps due to timid England managers who refused to drop the increasingly error prone David Seaman.

Deschamps to water carry and van Hanegem as the brains of the midfield, playing an attacking B2B role. Ballack as the AM/SS from his peak days of late Leverkusen and early Bayern – technically accomplished, hardworking, good in the air with precise passing and goal threat. To finish off the side, the original silent dominator: Emile Heskey. Never the most prolific but Michael Owen always played his best stuff alongside him. Heskey was good at keeping the CBs busy and bringing everyone else into the game with his self-less play. He wasn’t bad in the air either and will enjoy Barnes and Stevie Me’s crosses.

Team Edgar

Defence:

One of the best GKs of all time, Van Der Sar mans the goal.

Patrice Evra and George Cohen are balanced fullbacks defensively stout and can provide attacking width in flanks. Cohen was effective in 1966 "Wingless Wonders" England team that won the WC.

Marcel Desailly and Ricardo Carvalho make up the central defence. Robust defenders with good blend of solidity and ball playing skills.

Midfield:

Duncan Edwards
and Owen Hargreaves form the base of the defensive midfield. Hargreaves tireless running and ball winning ability combined with the classy physical and ball distribution skills of Big Dunc will be a solid shield and good foundation for the rest of the team.

Pierre Littbarski has a free role in attack here. With Edwards moving up to support attack from Left Half, Litti's pace, dribbling and passing skills will provide for creativity.

Attack:

Mario Kempes
will spearhead the attack supported by Eden Hazard and Jesse Lingard supporting from wide. All players playing in their best position with Kempes's all round ability to bring them together.

Šjor Bepo

Nice teams boys, even with sheeps!
For physio the only thing id change is a player behind the striker, would prefer a more mobile/agile one that gives you additional trickery and guile.
Edgar even though Jesse is in his worst position given Litti is on that side i could actually see a nice little partnership though the team lacks a calming presence that would sit on the ball and calm the game a bit. Also, was never a fan of Hargo through the middle.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I find Ballack & Gerrard a bit redundant personally, always found them kinda similar in terms of their best role. Although then there's Stevie's proven partnership with Heskey.
Jessie on the other side is conveniently put as close to an off the pitch position as possible.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Nice teams boys, even with sheeps!
For physio the only thing id change is a player behind the striker, would prefer a more mobile/agile one that gives you additional trickery and guile.
I can see that. The side is loosely based on the Veron era Utd side with Ballack in the Scholes position. Ballack at his peak was pretty mobile although he's not someone like Sterling.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I find Ballack & Gerrard a bit redundant personally, always found them kinda similar in terms of their best role. Although then there's Stevie's proven partnership with Heskey.
You could argue Gerrard's best position as a 10 (ish) but you lose his crossing ability and given his blood and thunder approach I think he is best suited to a free role starting on the right where he can be a proper two way player when he wants to be. Ballack's best role were certainly as an AM/SS and he was much more disciplined than Gerrard as well as being better in the air. I can see why you might think them similar but I think they both have a platform to shine here.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think Edgar lacks goals. Kempes will be well dealt with by my athletic and intelligent CBs. Hazard was never a big goalscorer. Littbarski had a good gol record but he's playing much deeper than he did when he had that record IIRC.

On the other hand Barnes scored 22 goals in a league season playing on the left-wing, Ballack has a 1 in 2 record and Gerrard whilst not at his goal scoring peak always scored in the big games - note the FA Cup Final vs West Ham and of course against Milan in the 2005 European Cup Final

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Jessie on the other side is conveniently put as close to an off the pitch position as possible.
And that's not counting Van Hanegem who moves up and down the left side at his peak. With him moving up the left and Stevie G occupying Inside Right, the contribution of Ballack usually has will already be provided by them. I really don't see Ballack being really influential in this game.

On the other hand Barnes scored 22 goals in a league season playing on the left-wing,
Cohen is a very competent right back and he has good support from Hargreaves who is comfortable through the centre or out wide (played as winger for us too!). I think that threat is well covered. Heskey has one 20+ goal season all career and there really is no defence stretching player for you. Edwards will help wout against Stevie G when he cuts in too.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I really don't think WvH, Ballack and Gerrard can fit together in same midfield. We've see similar in England with Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard. The players may be different, but situation is very similar.

Considering both of us have good defences and sheep in attack, this will turn out to be a 1-0 game. And I do believe, Litti, Hazard and Kempes can work better as a unit and complement each other to edge the difference.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
:lol:

But aye there's a lot of big guys bombing into the box there - Ballack, Gerrard and Van Hanegem. That said, Wim curtailed that well for Holland, while Gerrard and Ballack are far apart enough not to be getting into one another's way. Quite like the Gerrard-crossing-to-Ballack route to goal. Good coverage for EAP though with Edwards and Hargreaves in that area though.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I really don't think WvH, Ballack and Gerrard can fit together in same midfield. We've see similar in England with Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard. The players may be different, but situation is very similar.
I was actually thinking that Gerrard and Lampard would work well in this setup, with Lampard replacing Ballack. Scholes is an odd one though as he was never the creative force who bombed forward like WvH. The main issue with England was playing two strikers and Gerrard and Lampard as a CM pair without a proper left winger. Barnes gives much more balance here.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I was actually thinking that Gerrard and Lampard would work well in this setup, with Lampard replacing Ballack. Scholes is an odd one though as he was never the creative force who bombed forward like WvH. The main issue with England was playing two strikers and Gerrard and Lampard as a CM pair without a proper left winger. Barnes gives much more balance here.
The problem is all 3 of them are good at bringing the ball into the box from the deep. You really need players who can open up space for them to make their runs...and you don't have it. Neither Ballack nor Heskey can split my central defence.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The problem is all 3 of them are good at bringing the ball into the box from the deep. You really need players who can open up space for them to make their runs...and you don't have it. Neither Ballack nor Heskey can split my central defence.
Heskey doesn't need to split the defence. His job is to play on the shoulder of the defence to force them back a bit and then bring those three into play. Also as Scrappy points out Petrescu will provide ample width on the right stretching the play and Barnes will have a lot of fun with his aerial options - he would also like the link up with WvH too

Edit - I'm playing on the counter where Heskey wins some knockdowns and there's space a plenty to exploit. Also Barnes on the break provides great pace and dribbling ability

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Some thoughts on Physio's side:

I like that team in many ways, and it's great to see Ballack in a prominent role, but this formation still has a feel of the Gerrard/Lampard or Lampard/Ballack problem to me. I see a bit of a traffic jam in the middle: Ballack would want to drop (he was a midfielder that pushes forward imo, not a FW), van Hanegem will probably operate there too, and Gerrard would want to move inside. Even Barnes didn't look much like a stereotypical touchline-hugging winger when I watched him (which I liked very much).

Apart from that, the "back eight" is ace (assuming Petrescu was a capable wingback, which I can't judge). And Heskey actually works pretty good there too! So it's only the Ballack issue for me - as great as it is to see him in a key role for once, a true support striker may have made it all click a tad better

As for @Edgar Allan Pillow, well-designed team as usual. Great CB duo, Littbarski to help out on Lingard's side, good mix overall. I guess Kempes would be a good CF in a modern setup. A goal-scoring inside forward on the right would be much better of course, but that's what sheep rounds do.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Any more info on George Cohen and Petrescu playing as a fullback?
Cohen was a starting right back for Ramsey's Wingless Wonders, wasn't he? 1967-67 is a bit of a short and weird peak to choose though.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Cohen was a starting right back for Ramsey's Wingless Wonders, wasn't he? 1967-67 is a bit of a short and weird peak to choose though.
Oops. It was supposed to to be 1965-68.

Yeah, his stint as attacking fullback in the wingless wonders was the prime. Quintessentially he was providing width to a team without any traditional wingers or wide midfielders. 1966 WC winner for England in that role.

Last edited:

Himannv

Can we have more details on how these teams are supposed to function? What's the plan to breakdown the opposition in the attacking phase? How do they work in the defensive phase?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Giving this to EAP for the better goalkeeper. Nothing else between them.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Can we have more details on how these teams are supposed to function? What's the plan to breakdown the opposition in the attacking phase? How do they work in the defensive phase?
Defensive phase - normal defensive line, keep in compact and press when EAP is in my half.
Attacking - relatively direct. Diagonals to Barnes on the left to utilise his pace. High balls for Heskey to knock down for Ballack and then everyone bar Deschamps sweeps forward. WvH will have lots of options up front, maybe a nice diagonal to Gerrard on the right side of the penalty area for a Stevie Me piledriver. Clearly the aerial option would be good for my too especially when Barnes looses Cohen and it breaks the defensive structure a bit of EAP

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Edgar Allan Pillow Well played. I very much liked the midfield three. I may be in a minority but I liked Hargreaves at DM. I really liked the Hargreaves Anderson combo which we played for like two games probably because Hargo was injured. It was the first time we had had balance, energy and passing ability at CM - McT and Fred are a vast downgrade on that CM combo.

Šjor Bepo

this was much closer then the result shows IMO