Only Fools and Horses Round 1 - The Hobbit vs. JB²

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Michaelf7777777.................................................................................................................Jim Beam & Joga Bonito
...............VS................

Team Michaelf7777777

My team will play a 4-2-3-1 formation. Blanchflower's passing ability from deep will bring Vardy's pace into play. Furthermore Finney should have a large advantage on the right against either Rojo or someone not used to playing as a LB.

Team Joga Bonito & Jim Beam

Tactics: as you can see in real life it is pretty much unbeatable.

Rojo is on his natural side for Rabona. And instead of Pogba an actual bomb. Like someone who could actually thrive in that position.

Good luck @Michaelf7777777 @Joga Bonito @Jim Beam

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Beam and Joga's side is tactically excellent it's just that Finney on Rojo is likely to be a massive car crash.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
And would like to say that Finney is getting finally same praise. Like there is no more footage but he was "Messi" of his era.

@Šjor Bepo saying that he is like 3rd best winger in England is stupid as it gets. (we will shit over bepo constantly)*

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Beam and Joga's side is tactically excellent it's just that Finney on Rojo is likely to be a massive car crash.
This, almost went for them straight away, and then noticed Rojo vs Finney & Zanetti combo :lol:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Rojo this, rojo that..... cant stand the turd but feck everything if one individual battle will make this a one sided score. Jb midfield dwarfs michaels and that defence looks suspect other then zanetti and banks.

Saying that, its beam so a big defeat isnt that bad.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh, I thought that JB² was meant to signify Joga Bonito + Jim Beam, but turns out it was just Jim Beam².

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Rojo this, rojo that..... cant stand the turd but feck everything if one individual battle will make this a one sided score.
To be fair, it's an all time GOAT contender of a flank. Not just that, the pair offers great chemistry stylistically and perfect balance on and off the ball. That against a sheep is just scary.

This is similar to Jair against Nedved and Irwin. @Himannv won my vote there because the overall team quality was much better than his opponent's.

Not the case here though. Michael's team is quite brilliant as well and hence wins my vote. The turd at LB had a huge say but that was not the only reason.

Jim Beam

To be fair, it's an all time GOAT contender of a flank. Not just that, the pair offers great chemistry stylistically and perfect balance on and off the ball. That against a sheep is just scary.

This is similar to Jair against Nedved and Irwin. @Himannv won my vote there because the overall team quality was much better than his opponent's.

Not the case here though. Michael's team is quite brilliant as well and hence wins my vote. The turd at LB had a huge say but that was not the only reason.
:lol: am sorry

Jim Beam

What an absolute pile of shit. Like ok, it is Finney, I love Finney. But...

Look, why no one ever look at Charlton. Like he is the in his absolute best position ever to influence the match. But, I adore Michael and he has a great team.

But this @GodShaveTheQueen nonsense. Ffs.

Šjor Bepo

It really isnt....i also love Finney but feck me the way some of you are waxing about him you would think he is a George Best! Its a great flank, its a massive advantage for michael, biggest on the pitch but the drunk fool has done it again and that team is an absolute beauty, i just dont see how michael central core can contain JJ midfield + other then Zanetti and Banks at least IMO defence is a big meh, was never impressed with Hierro at the back and watched his defences get slaughtered multiple times by obsecure forwards, Hughes im a fan but not at CB, for me he would always be a leftback or a defensive b2b so you hide his weaknesses(im aware he won a EC at centerback). Leonardo.....meh.

Himannv

I think this is one of the few setups and personnel that will get the absolute best out of Rivaldo. Very nice and almost won my vote there.

What was Walker like as a CB?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Jim Beam @Joga Bonito

How will the center/left part of your offense work? I'd roughly expect Charlton & Rivaldo to go to similar zones, with Francescoli somewhere in there as well, but you'll know these players better than me.

Get well on the Covid infection, Beam & don't be so rude to GSTQ, dammit.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
How will the center/left part of your offense work? I'd roughly expect Charlton & Rivaldo to go to similar zones, with Francescoli somewhere in there as well, but you'll know these players better than me.
It might sound cliched but we do expect Rivaldo and Charlton to be in their ideal roles here. Charlton was pretty much your dynamic all round midfielder who'd be equally at ease, bombing into the box, playmaking from the center of the pitch, dropping deeper to keep things ticking, drifting to the left flank/channels or even the other flank etc. Similar to the role that he played for the Wingless Wonders, doing a brilliant job of dovetailing with Ball & Peters in midfield whilst frequently dropping deep to combine with Moore and keep things ticking or to maintain the structural integrity of the midfield.

He was pretty much an ubiquitous presence who was capable of playing several roles in the same game and not your 'typical' versatile CAM/LAM who was rather predictable in his movement or someone with predominant and telegraphed movement onto the left flank from the LCM position (imo). That would be the case for Van Hanegem, Rivelino, Brady, Lerby, Davids etc. Therein lies the beauty of a player like Charlton imo, he was ridiculously complete and tactically versatile for a match winning talisman of his caliber, and amazingly enough, he was selfless too!

On Enzo I'd say he did have left sided tendencies and could play the LAM role to perfection (which was initially our plan till Rivaldo fell into our laps). That being said he was equally capable of playing the roaming CF role and I'd say he'd link up with Rivaldo the same way as he did with Ruben Sosa, another magical, unpredictable and mercurial left forward.

I'm sure you've all seen Pat's comp of him against Scotland

I'd also recommend this game though. Been ages since I watched it but he plays as the CF here and his movement, hold up play and link up was really top notch. Ruggeri wasn't half too bad on the ball for a limited stopper too!

https://footballia.net/matches/newell-s-old-boys-river-plate-copa-diario-la-capital

What was Walker like as a CB?
Exceptional defender with great pace and reading of the game. A great fit against Vardy

Was in the PFA team of the season 4 times and was top notch in the 90 WC and one of the bright spots for England in the 92 Euros.

Lineker said:
Des wasn't the greatest footballer in the world but he was unbelievably quick and had a brilliant defensive mind. Brian Clough used to stick him on me when we played – he always put him man-to-man which was quite unusual in those days – and he used to sing that song 'You'll never beat Des Walker!' – he used to drive you mad when you were playing against him
:lol:

Last edited:

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Loving that JB midfield. Keane, Alonso and Charlton have everything in the arsenal between them.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
A tactical quibble with Beam. Do Alonso and Stielike overlap a bit too much. The latter was an attacking libero/ B2B and having a DLP in front doesn't seem the best fit

Šjor Bepo

my vote doesnt count here, voted to see the score so we can do the loser standings

Jim Beam

A tactical quibble with Beam. Do Alonso and Stielike overlap a bit too much. The latter was an attacking libero/ B2B and having a DLP in front doesn't seem the best fit
Did you see the draft? We are quite delighted to put a team after all the feck ups. :D

Anyway, yeah it is not ideal, but functional especially as Walker was a classic marker CB and ideally you want to pair him with a more expensive one. But all in all, delighted with that midfield. It is so hardworking and at the same time on the front foot constantly. Charlton was exceptional in every way and we feel we have given him a perfect environment.

Oh, and yeah, Walker is really perfect for Vardy, but great to see Vardy in a draft.

GodShaveTheQueen

It really isnt....i also love Finney but feck me the way some of you are waxing about him you would think he is a George Best
For starters, I'd rather have Finney with Zanetti rather than Best with Zanetti. I think an attacking fullback will be better utilized with Finney rather than Best.

And Finney was a really special player as well. Even if there is limited footage, one can see how brilliant he was.

Best might be a notch higher, but there is nothing wrong in mentioning Finney in the same breathe as Best.

GodShaveTheQueen

What an absolute pile of shit.
But this @GodShaveTheQueen nonsense. Ffs.
I love him, but he has zero reasoning. And am really sorry about it, but anyone judging this 1 on 1 is a fool
You need to be a better sport and learn to respond to criticism objectively mate irrespective of it being valid or invalid in your eyes.

This has become a theme with your games for quite sometime now.

Take care with the Covid.

Jim Beam

You need to be a better sport and learn to respond to criticism objectively mate irrespective of it being valid or invalid in your eyes.

This has become a theme with your games for quite sometime now.

Take care with the Covid.
Absolutely. Felt sorry once I wrote it yesterday and will try to take it more lightly in the future. Hate this side of me really as it is too competitive and obnoxious with no room for a decent debate in my responds when I go off like this which kind of negates the whole point of it.

But, actually it is a not a constant theme because if you look at my recent games you will see a massive improvement in that regard and my therapist says am doing better. No really, I was actually a good sport recently.

Now copy this, save it and just paste it when you have a similar outburst in the future. Because that is rich coming from someone the way you were acting around here. Thanks for the kind wishes, am doing relatively fine.

Jim Beam

That is absolutely fair. But I make sure to respond objectively even if I rant out.
No, you don't. :lol: well, sometimes I mean. Some of your games can be explained as an absolute carnage and nothing less.

Anyway, I do think your general point is right and I need to cut it off. Appreciate your input.

I do love Tom Finney, so we can agree on that at least. I do not understand how you can look at both teams, put your vote and not even acknowledge Charlton and the way the team is shaped to bring the best out of him. Oh well, all good as far as am concerned.

Jim Beam

There are people who actually not just stopped playing draft games, but logged off and never came back to the forum after the debate with you. :lol:

"You need to be a better sport"

Ok, ok, am done.