OPTA stats and player comparisons

Irwin99

I found an old United review magazine the other day from when i was a kid and it had a farewell to Roy Keane special. It had his OPTA stats for his last 5 seasons and in 2001/2002 he completed 2420 passes in just 28 games at an 88% accuracy :eek: which seems ridiculously high when you consider he could possibly have finished the season with 3000+ if he'd managed an extra 10 games. His average was 87-89% over the five seasons and showed a remarkable consistency.

OPTA stats only really began in the late 90s I believe and didn't become widely accessible (I think) until the mid 00's so finding data can be be difficult but does anyone have any data of some of the older players from around that time? (Vieria, Bergkamp, Makelele). Also, how much do you think you can measure a player's worth by the stats available and are direct comparisons on stats valid? It's a shame that this season stopped at an early stage as i was interested in looking at Fred's season compared to Herrera's in 16/17 and seeing who had the better stats. I looked at Kante's stats in 15/16 and his tackling and interceptions must be a record in the premier league era.