Option/replacement for Casemiro

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
That would help us out significantly if we were interested.
«We are trying to keep to Financial Fair Play while holding on to the best players in our squad. But of course we are not closed off to selling someone if a very good offer comes in and it gives us the possibility to improve our FFP position. We are going to work with respect to the rules.»

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...ews/unai-emery-fires-aston-villa-28439623.amp

I think they have a f players they could sell that would significantly improve their FFP-position;

- Konsa (2028)
- Watkins (2028)
- Ramsey (2027)
- Luiz (2026)
- Kamara (2027
- Martinez (2027)

Due to lenght of contract, and status in team, I think Luiz and Ramsey is most likely. If they can get a significant fee for Ramsey that might be a get out of jail card that let them keep Luiz.

RedRocket08

They both have experience as single pivots in a 4-3-3. Plus currently play the more defensive told in double pivot set ups

He was a pleasant surprise. Hadn't watched him closely till the two legs vs Arsenal. He reminds my of old school German 6 Casten Ranelow. A terrier, with supreme tactical and postional sense. Simple yet flawless in possesion. Yet able to be even more expressive when required. Portugal really knows how to produce pivot players.
Varela had good games against Barca as well - He's definitely tenacious, reminds me a bit of Gattuso / Keane and Ramelow as you mentioned, we could do with 1 or 2 players like that at United. A few clubs are keeping tabs on him (apparently) at the moment though, so we might get priced out. Yeah he's Argentine as another poster mentioned, but it's a Porto / Portuguese league thing where they develop good midfielders bought from South America - e.g. Casemiro was signed from Porto. Fergie back in the day would've liked a signing like this I feel.

Ideally I'd like it if we went for 2 defensive midfielders and sold Casemiro. Palacios / Varela / Caqueret + Onana would be very good. Looking into Palacios though, he seems to have heaps of off-field issues going on :lol: So that might be a bit of a red flag in terms of the player profile we'd want at United. Either way, we'll need at least one CDM if we can't offload Case, and the options we are discussing will all cost around the 50M(+) mark except maybe Caqueret, so it'll be interesting how we utilise our summer spend.

Walters_19_MuFc

Varela had good games against Barca as well - He's definitely tenacious, reminds me a bit of Gattuso / Keane and Ramelow as you mentioned, we could do with 1 or 2 players like that at United. A few clubs are keeping tabs on him (apparently) at the moment though, so we might get priced out. Yeah he's Argentine as another poster mentioned, but it's a Porto / Portuguese league thing where they develop good midfielders bought from South America - e.g. Casemiro was signed from Porto. Fergie back in the day would've liked a signing like this I feel.

Ideally I'd like it if we went for 2 defensive midfielders and sold Casemiro. Palacios / Varela / Caqueret + Onana would be very good. Looking into Palacios though, he seems to have heaps of off-field issues going on :lol: So that might be a bit of a red flag in terms of the player profile we'd want at United. Either way, we'll need at least one CDM if we can't offload Case, and the options we are discussing will all cost around the 50M(+) mark except maybe Caqueret, so it'll be interesting how we utilise our summer spend.
He'd suit us perfectly then.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Someone in here mentioned Douglas Luiz, and while I at first found it very unlikely, I am starting to think it could be a very likely option:

- His contract is up in 2026. He will either renew or Villa will consider selling,
- Villa will struggle with FFP. They dont have many players with significant sale value and low book value (I assume they will rather try to keep Watkins and homegrown Konsa who both are on long term deals).
- Our new CEO know him well

PL-proven at a high level and is about to enter his peak years (26 to 32).
Arsenal is rumored to be interested in Zubimendi, Douglas Luiz or Amadou Onana to replace Partey, and they will be extremely expensive. It probably depends on who is available on the market this summer.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Indeed. I just hope pick well. We need two players. One to directly replace Casemiro. A second to replace what Ericksen gives us deep with more defensive ability and legs. If we could get two all rounders in the Mainoo mould for decent prices, I'd be over the moon!

Last edited:

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Zubimendi is real cheap for a player of his level. Just £50m
Yes and he is top of the pile for Arteta I guess but with him there is a good chance he may never move or move to Bayern if Alonso moves there.

In any case most would say Luiz is a better pick and we tried to sign him 2 yrs back when Villa rejected our bids. So good chance we try for him again this window. Could see him moving for 70-80m especially if Villa cant make CL.

NoPace

Based entirely on a couple paragraphs in The Athletic, I now think we should buy Madrid’s youth DM and Captain Mario Martin.

aeh1991

Based entirely on a couple paragraphs in The Athletic, I now think we should buy Madrid’s youth DM and Captain Mario Martin.
Would be an amazing idea. Him and Guido Rodriguez on a free, so we have one short term and one long term DM

Lemon Moon

Kimmich would be nice but I'm in dream land obviously.

Zubimendi is an interesting one.

I thought Tonali would have been a great option before he went to Milan & obviously has issues these days although is still a quality player with a big potential.

Walters_19_MuFc

Kimmich would be nice but I'm in dream land obviously.

Zubimendi is an interesting one.

I thought Tonali would have been a great option before he went to Milan & obviously has issues these days although is still a quality player with a big potential.
Apprently, he's not been in great form at Bayern, but he'd my first choice, too. If you think of deep-lying playmakers, there's not better around when he's at the top of his game.

It has been said that he wants a move, but as you'd imagine, there's quite a few clubs interested in him, so it would be hard for us to lure him here, especially if we have no CL football next season.

aeh1991

Apprently, he's not been in great form at Bayern, but he'd my first choice, too. If you think of deep-lying playmakers, there's not better around when he's at the top of his game.

It has been said that he wants a move, but as you'd imagine, there's quite a few clubs interested in him, so it would be hard for us to lure him here, especially if we have no CL football next season.
There is a reason Bayern have been constantly struggling defensively, even though they had Kim, De Ligt and Upamecano as CBs (tbf Upa has always been error prone). Kimmich is a defensive liablity and as a DLP he would bring nothing that Mainoo wouldn't. Not saying we should use Mainoo there but Kimmich is even less fitting than Mainoo on the 6.