Orange Card? Telegraph reports new 10 minute sin bin for tactical fouls

Are you in favour of this proposed change?

• Yes

Votes: 87 40.3%
  • No

Votes: 99 45.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 33 15.3%

• Total voters

Big Andy

Bloke
Oh look, another totally arbitrary thing that is massively subjective and left in the hands of the same people who can’t be trusted with decisions as it is

baskinginthesun

No - the refs are already confuses as it is with all the rules changes and VAR farce

More subjective decisions just means more mess
I mean the FA already mines Twitter for an offensive tweet. Why can't they mine the football footage for offensive fouling and just do everything retroactively. It would be a nice start. It would also relieve some pressure from the refs.

Pickle85

I think it'd give referees a really easy way out of sending people off in last player situations where they should really go.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
They don’t get reds for it now though city and Liverpool seem to have players who can do it all game every game.

Easier solution is just every tactical foul - yellow. Would soon sort it.
They should be doing at least that. The problem there is that City have such big squads they can risk a few players getting yellows as they can sub players with equal ability on and don't care if one misses a whole match with five yellows. Maybe the ref should punish a third or so offence with a red anyway, even if it is no worse than the first or second. Wouldn't work of course, the laws and guidelines need to be as simple as possible to work.

Wing Attack Plan R

A big no to this idea. I think it would lead to more - not less - professional fouls. How many times can a player go in the sin bin? Anyway, it's stupid, feck around in a match and you get a yellow, easy to understand.

Dump VAR, no to the sin bin, figure out a way to professionalize the refereeing side of it, whether that means importing referees from Europe or simply paying them enough to make it an attractive career.

Also a big no to using VAR for corners and yellow card offenses, which was mooted in the Guardian today. You'd think these feckers in charge never played the game.

Wing Attack Plan R

Honestly, this is probably a bigger issue on the game than the orange card. We see players feigning injury all the time with zero contact and we're expected to believe they're actually hurt. Send them off the pitch for 10 mins and have them come back on when they've been thoroughly checked. Nae subs either. Make that player liable for the faking an injury.
Bruno would spend more time off the pitch than on.

van Nistelrooy

It's absolutely necessary.

Dissent isn't the biggest issue in the game right now, but it's one of them, and worse than ever at a time when added time in double digits has become the norm.

How many times can you recall a referee changing his mind on a decision, based on players whining on mass? Virtually none. It just wastes time and makes a mockery of our beautiful game.

If we end up getting a 11 vs 7 game at some point then good. It will be a result of players simply not following the rules and learning the hard way. Eventually, being sin-binned will become an embarrassment to the player once the general football gathering gets over the drastic change to the game.

Redlyn

Just adds another thing to screw up with inconsistent decisions. Either it's red or a yellow no inbetween.

Plastic Evra

I'm not sure there was that many situations in my modest experience as a football watcher I genuinely thought "you know what would fix that ? An additional type of card and sanctions".

Some matches just end up being messes (what was that WC/Euro game ? Portugal - Netherlands ?), I'm sure a handful a year at the pro level. Don't think "orange" cards fix that.

But maybe temporary expulsions could have some use ? Especially on shirt pulling, etc ?

LARulz

No because the refs can't even figure out how to correctly use yellow and red cards. Not keen on adding another colour into the mix and making them even more confused

Raven

Could be an interesting idea if done properly. I don't really mind either way but it doesn't just seem like change for the sake of change.

GiveItToGi...nowait

Another thought I had, if a sin bin is introduced for tactical fouls will that now incentivise players to "look for" fouls on the counter attack rather than trying to stay on their feet to make the pass or beat the man?

Further what about where the situation is more subjective? For example there is a counter attack but for the situation to become dangerous the player with the ball has to make a worldy of a turn and pass (e.g. is running head down towards the opposition goal and hasn't seen the runner free on the other side of the pitch and has to make a pass which takes out 3 defenders) but gets slightly clipped and goes down, is this a 15 minute sin bin for the fouling player? There are 100% counter attacking situations which fizzle out, if we now present the attacking team an incentive to draw a foul and go down will we see VAR intervening after enough uproar about how "that doesn't deserve a sinbin the counter was never on"?

Football is brilliant because of its subjectivity and how free flowing it is.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What makes orange card worse than yellow for the players if they dont get sent off? I cant be arsed to read. Because even yellow means 2x = sent off. Its just 50% red card.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Only getting a yellow for certain fouls isn't always a fair or big enough punishment but it's one of football's flaws that's not worth messing with. A sin bin would be too big of a change to the game so I hope this thing is scrapped.

If they're going to keep VAR then they should put all their effort into making that actually work before even thinking about doing anything else.

What makes orange card worse than yellow for the players if they dont get sent off? I cant be arsed to read. Because even yellow means 2x = sent off. Its just 50% red card.
They spend 10min in a sin bin.

Last edited:

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
The problem with this idea - and it isn't a bad one on the face of it - is it doesn't address the issue of poor refereeing. A player gets an orange card; his team are then under the cosh and tide of the game turns and proves costly - it's still unjust and will leave one party just as embittered as reds do now.

In terms of tactical innovation and progression for the game, this would be a paradigm shift as teams genuinely get to work on contingencies based around temporarily being down to 10 men. Normally when you go down to 10, a player is sacrificed to maintain some shape, usually defensive, and the game goes on, with this, there's less likelihood of a sub being used in the same way, so teams will have to figure out how to compensate for that man down in both offensive and defensive considerations.

Anyway, the idea isn't that bad, but the execution renders it pointless due to the susceptibility to human error.
Probably looking at how it works very successfully in Rugby, but that means VAR would need to decide on the Orange card. It would also be interesting to see exactly what it covers, just tactical fouls or could it include 'careless/wreckless' but not intentional fouls, this is the case in Rugby also. Perhaps Jones red against Spurs and Rashford's against Copenhagen (if in league) would be worthy of Orange, careless/wreckless but not intentional or overly dangerous. We always hear and understand ourselves, that was between a yellow and red, I do think a Sin Bin solution would work well for this.

I'd also revert all 'Dangerous' play Red Cards to Orange and let someone in VAR have a closer look while the player is in the Sin Bin, then upgrade it if deemed it meets the Red card threshold, again works very well in Rugby.

UpWithRivers

Its just too subjective. There will be a million arguments trying to figure out if its tactical or not and at the end of the day how are you supposed to know? Maybe they were going for the ball. Every game if one teams winning and its the 85th minute plus and they bring someone down it will be tactical foul! Tie wasting! Disrupting play!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Only getting a yellow for certain fouls isn't always a fair or big enough punishment but it's one of football's flaws that's not worth messing with. A sin bin would be too big of a change to the game so I hope this thing is scrapped.

If they're going to keep VAR then put all your effort into making that actually work before thinking about doing anything else.

They spend 10min in a sin bin.
Newcastle are sweating. Its a sinful club.

jadaba

I wonder how long before coaches figure out how to use the sin bin to their own advantage. Maybe they'll be able to figure out that, say, having one of their wingers sin-binned from the 65-75 minute mark would allow them to return energised and fresher-legged than a tired defender.

Lentwood

It might be unpopular because it's going to be a big change but I really do think it's needed.

It's ridiculous that something like kicking the ball away or taking your shirt off to celebrate a goal carries the same punishment as hauling a player down by their shirt when running through in a 3 vs 2 situation, for example.

Managers like Pep and Simeone would have to rethink their defensive gameplan because so much of it is based on quick, tactical fouls after losing the ball.

Lentwood

I wonder how long before coaches figure out how to use the sin bin to their own advantage. Maybe they'll be able to figure out that, say, having one of their wingers sin-binned from the 65-75 minute mark would allow them to return energised and fresher-legged than a tired defender.
That's ridiculous. If there was any advantage in doing that whatsoever they could do it now. Take a player off for 'treatment or just ask them to stand still for ten minutes!

jadaba

That's ridiculous. If there was any advantage in doing that whatsoever they could do it now. Take a player off for 'treatment or just ask them to stand still for ten minutes!
You never know, when you quite dramatically alter the rules of the game it opens the door for new tactics to exploit the rule.

SonOfFergie

You had for example Romero challenge on Enzo in Tottenham Chelsea game. He went for the ball slided over the top of the ball, caught Enzo quite badly with studs. But there was no intent, penalty awarded. Yellow to soft maybe red to harsh so a yellow + sin bin?

In hockey they made it work.

Bigger gripe I have with time wasting. If you lay on a floor and if you need to leave the field you cannot return for 5 minutes. Not now when 95% of players that are helped off the field like they will barely live another day jump alive immediately after and are ready 5 seconds after getting off the field.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Its just too subjective. There will be a million arguments trying to figure out if its tactical or not and at the end of the day how are you supposed to know? Maybe they were going for the ball. Every game if one teams winning and its the 85th minute plus and they bring someone down it will be tactical foul! Tie wasting! Disrupting play!
You say that, but in rugby they will usually give a sin bin for a deliberate knock on if a player bats a pass down to prevent it being passed to an opposing player. They will often review these and the ref will decide if there was any attempt to catch the ball. Subjective, but the ref's make their mind up and give the punishment.

These type of tactical/cynical fouls in football should be eliminated because a yellow card is no real deterrent. If a player knew he would be off for 10 mins and his side a man down, then he wouldn't do it. If he does, then it's an easy decision.

Sounds good in theory. In practice I can see a situation were a player on a yellow commits a tactical foul that really is another yellow, the ref takes the easy option, gives him the 10 mins, comes back and scores the winner.

My change, go away from 1 ref, experiment with teams of 2/3 with headsets so they can be in constant communication. Work on improving the basic standard of officiating before introducing VAR tech or changing the laws.
In Gaelic Football a yellow followed by a black card = a red card

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
it’s just a way of adding more colours to football. before we know it, we’ll have cards the colours of the full lgbtqia rainbow and you’ll only be able to watch the sport if you can prove you’re not cis :mad: :mad:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
“Hey, here is a rather good idea that should help battle one of the more annoying aspects of the game”

Some of you nerds: “Leave muh game alone”

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
VAR has highlighted how truly incompetent the (supposed) top level officials are, so I'm not sure how adding an extra level of complexity to officiating the game is going to help.

gza the genius

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea but I have absolutely zero faith that the refs in England can make it work in a functional way. They can't handle things the way they are now let alone adding in another complication.

It's going to be far too subjective and we'll never get any consistency on it.

Dan_F

I have zero faith in it being implemented properly, but tactical fouling is an absolute plague and something needs changing.

A yellow card is barely a punishment any more with five subs and such strong squads.