Orlando City vs New York City FC or "The most bizarre penalty shootout ever"

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So this is one where the goalkeeper gets sent off during the shootout? Orlando Sub in a keeper, only for that to be disallowed in shootouts. Then the defender ends up in goal and saves a penalty and his team run around thinking they’ve won but then realise they still have another one to take?

Nani misses one too.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Amazing stuff, was keeping up to date with the game last night as my mate is a massive Orlando fan, sounded absolutely mental, glad I've got to see it, classic stuff!!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Ref didn't do much wrong here from what I could see. The rule though is terrible and probably the worst instance of VAR (I know we benefitted yesterday but still).

On the back of Bruno's, I had a debate yesterday about whether hesitation should be disallowed by the taker if the goalkeeper has to stay rooted to his line. We both said nay.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Ref didn't do much wrong here from what I could see.
He allowed a substitute goalie to come on when one wasn't allowed and had to be told that law by the VAR. Then when the outfield player who went in net in saved the penalty and the players were all incorrectly celebrating at 5-5 he blew the final whistle (you can hear it just after 19:45) which set off another round of celebrations.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He allowed a substitute goalie to come on when one wasn't allowed and had to be told that law by the VAR. Then when the outfield player who went in net in the end saved the penalty and the players were all incorrectly celebrating he blew the final whistle (19:45).
Actually a fair point and I take it back. I didn't notice him blow the whistle.

L11

I have never seen anything like that in my life, extraordinary!

Just goes to show what VAR and rule changes has lead to football becoming, no doubt it has taken the spirit of the game away.

Thiagoal

Ref didn't do much wrong here from what I could see. The rule though is terrible and probably the worst instance of VAR (I know we benefitted yesterday but still).

On the back of Bruno's, I had a debate yesterday about whether hesitation should be disallowed by the taker if the goalkeeper has to stay rooted to his line. We both said nay.
I actually disagree! Why should goalkeepers be allowed an advantage by coming off their line and narrowing the angle in a shootout! One of the few things I like VAR for!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I actually disagree! Why should goalkeepers be allowed an advantage by coming off their line and narrowing the angle in a shootout! One of the few things I like VAR for!
True, I think staying on the line should happen.
But then I also think the inconsistencies of run ups sometimes mean goalkeepers stutter expecting something to be hit that hasn't.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
That ref needs to be sacked. Doesn't know the sub rule, and clearly can't keep track of who's turn it is.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In my humble opinion, because they can't get across the whole goal without that momentum and movement, which they won't be fully aware of in terms of positioning. It asks a little much from keepers and nothing from the player.

You can see this in the penalty taken after the disallowed one where the goalkeeper still goes forward, which is the only way he managed to get across (only it wasn't really obvious so wasn't disallowed too).

In most circumstances, pens aren't awarded for obstructing what would other be obvious goals so I don't get the pedanticism about keepers. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

UmbroDays

In my humble opinion, because they can't get across the whole goal without that momentum and movement, which they won't be fully aware of in terms of positioning. It asks a little much from keepers and nothing from the player.

You can see this in the penalty taken after the disallowed one where the goalkeeper still goes forward, which is the only way he managed to get across (only it wasn't really obvious so wasn't disallowed too).

In most circumstances, pens aren't awarded for obstructing what would other be obvious goals so I don't get the pedanticism about keepers. Just my opinion of course.
They can, I was trained and used to play as a keeper.

The reason you step forward isn't for momentum, it's about angles. If you step forward you are not allowing the ball to get to its maximum speed or angle e.g. you are approaching the ball before the bend.

If it was for keeper momentum, then why jump forward, stop then push off one foot? Or why not instruct keepers to start in the back of the goal then jump forward to or on the goal line?

The new technique that will be implemented soon will be keepers traversing their goal line a lot more with added dummies.

Last edited:

Lay

Didn't realise you can get booked for coming off your line?

Pagh Wraith

Then the takers shouldn't be allowed to stutter either. Allow both or neither.

Didn't realise you can get booked for coming off your line?
And this. Just ridiculous.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They can, I was training and used to play as a keeper.

The reason you step forward isn't for momentum, it's about angles. If you step forward you are not allowing the ball to get to its maximum speed or angle e.g. you are approaching the ball before the bend.

If it was for keeper momentum, then why jump forward, stop them push off one foot? Or why not instruct keepers to start in the back of the goal then jump forward to or on the goal line?

The new technique that will be implemented soon will be keepers traversing their goal line a lot more with added dummies.
You can see some goalkeepers altering their technique already.

UmbroDays

You can see some goalkeepers altering their technique already.

Yeah that's the other option, like the technique wide receivers in NFL had to develop when catching a ball in-play called "toe drag" or "toe drag swag":

If I was playing pro or even coaching, I'd recommend keepers stay a few inches behind the line and "toe drag" their push-off foot on the line and dive forward with the alternative leg. It will be a completely new and unusual technique though

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not single cnut in tha video had a clue. :lol:

nainaisson

He allowed a substitute goalie to come on when one wasn't allowed and had to be told that law by the VAR. Then when the outfield player who went in net in saved the penalty and the players were all incorrectly celebrating at 5-5 he blew the final whistle (you can hear it just after 19:45) which set off another round of celebrations.
I still like him more than Mike Dean and Michael Oliver.

anant

Jesus! Neither the refs nor the commentators had any idea about the rules!

And when the feck did having your feet in front of the line become a yellow card offence?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

And when the feck did having your feet in front of the line become a yellow card offence?
Apparently part of the issue is that the MLS haven't adopted the new rules for 20/21 yet but are still on the 19/20 rules, presumably due to when the coronavirus disruption fell. If they were on the new rules then the goalkeeper wouldn't have been carrying a yellow card into the shootout and would have been initially warned about staying on his line rather than be booked.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The yellow card is needlessly harsh, you're already punished by having to face another penalty.

If the keeper keeps coming off his line then keep re-taking until the player scores or misses the goal.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
:lol: Refs in video games seem to be more fair than in real life.

First the stupidest red card.
Now the most bizzare penalty shootout.
What's next Orlando City? signing Messi and then he punches the ref in his first match?

youngrell

The only thing worse than the officiating was the commentary. So clueless :lol:

If keepers were allowed off their line they could literally sprint towards the taker during the run up.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The only thing worse than the officiating was the commentary. So clueless :lol:

If keepers were allowed off their line they could literally sprint towards the taker during the run up.
2:50 -

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I have never seen anything like that in my life, extraordinary!

Just goes to show what VAR and rule changes has lead to football becoming, no doubt it has taken the spirit of the game away.
20 years from now, we'll have bionic eyes in the officials and I.T. programmes using virtual reality software on replays to measure millimetres.

Probably lie detector tests for players too... "did you dive?"

LVGSdive

I wondered what Nani was up to these day's. This shootout let me know.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Those commentators are fecking idiots...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
They can, I was trained and used to play as a keeper.

If it was for keeper momentum, then why jump forward, stop then push off one foot? Or why not instruct keepers to start in the back of the goal then jump forward to or on the goal line?

Fair point. I'll accept that.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
True, I think staying on the line should happen.
But then I also think the inconsistencies of run ups sometimes mean goalkeepers stutter expecting something to be hit that hasn't.
But that's the whole point of the stutter-style run up; to fool the goalkeeper.

It's down to the keeper not to be fooled into moving early.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

This law is no longer in play for most leagues but because the MLS started when the 19/20 laws were still in use, they end the season with those same laws. The actual law states that a keeper should be warned on the first offence of coming off the line and then cautioned for any subsequent breaches so I imagine at some point in the shoot out, he was warned about it.

rcoobc

This law is no longer in play for most leagues but because the MLS started when the 19/20 laws were still in use, they end the season with those same laws. The actual law states that a keeper should be warned on the first offence of coming off the line and then cautioned for any subsequent breaches so I imagine at some point in the shoot out, he was warned about it.
Judging by the level of referring in that video I doubt the ref knows he was meant to caution him first

rcoobc

Did anyone else think the replacement goalie came off his line for the goal he saved

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Judging by the level of referring in that video I doubt the ref knows he was meant to caution him first
The substitution and then the full time whistle that was blown with a penalty still to be taken was crazy and there's no excuse for that but I was just trying to give a bit of clarity on the booking

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Did anyone else think the replacement goalie came off his line for the goal he saved
Just had a couple of watches of it again and it's tight but looks like he moves along the line rather than off it.