Other Wingers?

Craig Ward

Bale is the only stand out name for me, if we were to bring a winger in.

Cant realistically see any of the names in this thread coming in.

MadMike

He'd be a great choice.
Not yet, definitely not. A lot of more mature and experienced players have made the jump from Dortmund and have failed to light up the PL.

Mkhi in his last year at Dortmund had more than twice the numbers Pulisic had last year (from the exactly the same role) and while he is a good player for us he didn't really prove to be exceptional. I fail to see how Pulisic would be ready for this jump at an even younger age.

With Dembele likely to go, the best option for Pulisic is to stay at Dortmund and make that RW role his own for a couple more years. Then at 20-21, he'd be ready for a big move. Since English is his main language, England might tempt him.

Devil may care

Not yet, definitely not. A lot of more mature and experienced players have made the jump from Dortmund and have failed to light up the PL.

Mkhi in his last year at Dortmund had more than twice the numbers Pulisic had last year (from the exactly the same role) and while he is a good player for us he didn't really prove to be exceptional. I fail to see how Pulisic would be ready for this jump at an even younger age.

With Dembele likely to go, the best option for Pulisic is to stay at Dortmund and make that RW role his own for a couple more years. Then at 20-21, he'd be ready for a big move. Since English is his main language, England might tempt him.
I was meaning for next summer, I don't see us buying anyone else this summer. Pulisic age isn't really a big deal, Mkhitayan's mental frailties were known before we bought him, this is an American kid that has made his way through an academy and into a top league in a foreign country as a teen, I think he has the mental tools and that is the biggest aspect of making a move to a club like United. I expect him to push on this season with Emre Mor and Dembele both likely to be gone, he should be a regular starter.

MadMike

I was meaning for next summer, I don't see us buying anyone else this summer. Pulisic age isn't really a big deal, Mkhitayan's mental frailties were known before we bought him, this is an American kid that has made his way through an academy and into a top league in a foreign country as a teen, I think he has the mental tools and that is the biggest aspect of making a move to a club like United. I expect him to push on this season with Emre Mor and Dembele both likely to be gone, he should be a regular starter.
I think you're massively exaggerating on Mkhi's mental frailties while overhyping Pulisic, personally. He should be a starter for Dortmund if Dembele leaves no doubt. Time will tell.

Devil may care

I think you're massively exaggerating on Mkhi's mental frailties while overhyping Pulisic, personally. He should be a starter for Dortmund if Dembele leaves no doubt. Time will tell.
In what way? There has been plenty written about Mkhitaryan's struggles at Dortmund, Tuchel getting him a self help book and all that and the need to cotton wool him a bit, and here it took quite a while to even get him in the match day 18. Conversely when a kid moves to another country where he doesn't speak the language at 17 and makes the senior squad after some 15-20 games, it shows a rare drive and mental tougness IMO.

MadMike

In what way? There has been plenty written about Mkhitaryan's struggles at Dortmund, Tuchel getting him a self help book and all that and the need to cotton wool him a bit, and here it took quite a while to even get him in the match day 18. Conversely when a kid moves to another country where he doesn't speak the language at 17 and makes the senior squad after some 15-20 games, it shows a rare drive and mental tougness IMO.
At 20 Mkhi was playing in Ukraine and averaging a goal every second game, being a starter. That's not easy either. It becomes harder as you go up the levels and difficulty and expectations increase. He's played in 4 leagues so far, totally proving himself in three with some question marks here still. Pulisic had 6 good months and people are raving.

We'll see how Pulisic does this year when he's a starter. Like I said, I personally feel it's too early for him, I might well be wrong. Both Mkhi and Mata playing off the right wing are better players at this moment. Let him develop his game and get stability. Then in a couple of years see where he's at. Also Dortmund would ask for insane money unless his contract is beginning to run down. Same situation as Dembele and Barca.

Devil may care

At 20 Mkhi was playing in Ukraine and averaging a goal every second game, being a starter. That's not easy either. It becomes harder as you go up the levels and difficulty and expectations increase. He's played in 4 leagues so far, totally proving himself in three with some question marks here still. Pulisic had 6 good months and people are raving.

We'll see how Pulisic does this year when he's a starter. Like I said, I personally feel it's too early for him, I might well be wrong. Both Mkhi and Mata playing off the right wing are better players at this moment. Let him develop his game and get stability. Then in a couple of years see where he's at. Also Dortmund would ask for insane money unless his contract is beginning to run down. Same situation as Dembele and Barca.
I think making a team in a top league at 17 when you don't speak the language just shows a real mental strength, Mkhi is a good player but it took him time to settle at Dortmund and here where he's still struggling in the league to asert himself, I don't think it's out of turn to suggest he's got a softness to him.

Agreed, I'm thinking next summer so I'm expecting him to really progress this season, we shall see, and on the price, this will be the case with whoever we go for but Pulisic ticks a couple of boxes on top of talent that would allow for greater outlay.

MadMike

Agreed, I'm thinking next summer so I'm expecting him to really progress this season, we shall see, and on the price, this will be the case with whoever we go for but Pulisic ticks a couple of boxes on top of talent that would allow for greater outlay.
I'm simply thinking that his current deal expires in 2020. And if he does not sign a new contract by next summer, then they'll definitely have to sell by summer 2019 the latest when he'll be 20-21 and in a great age to make the leap.

Which makes sense for Pulisic as he could get to pick whichever team he wants, rather than end up in a situation like Dembele now. With a new contract and BVB not budging even for very high fees.

Devil may care

I'm simply thinking that his current deal expires in 2020. And if he does not sign a new contract by next summer, then they'll definitely have to sell by summer 2019 the latest when he'll be 20-21 and in a great age to make the leap.

Which makes sense for Pulisic as he could get to pick whichever team he wants, rather than end up in a situation like Dembele now. With a new contract and BVB not budging even for very high fees.
I think we'll move for that extra wide attacker and Griezmann next summer, so I think that would be the time to move for him and he could come in and offer a different option to Mata in the RWF role while Griezmann offers a different option to Mkhi playing off Lukaku.

Enigma_87

You know who
It wasnt a waste. He wasnt playing for Wolfsburg a lot in the end and wanted out in Summer 2016, they didnt let him go and things went really bad. Then he moved last winter and got better wages at PSG. It was a better move than staying at Wolfsburg and not many clubs wanted him at that time. I doubt they will sell him before Lucas, Ben Arfa and Krychowiak. They still need some depth
Yeah, but considering the PSG project he's likely to get even less playing time considering they are going for players like AdM at the time, already having top wingers. He could get a better salary at China as well.

He'd be better off at a place like Monaco, Dortmund etc if he was looking for playing time.

Bestietom

Anyone know much about this Forsberg guy..Seems to be mentioned a lot lately.

I like Lemar, he is fast and tricky and can deliver a good pass or cross.

AgentP

Some rumors about Robben on Twitter. I don't know how I'd feel about that. He is already 33 but he is still top tier.

Bestietom

I think Draxler would be a good signing for us..I rate him before Ozil..

Lemar is a tricky little terrier, but Mourinho likes the taller ones..

Mahrez would be another good shout, and would get you goals, as well as assists..

beingshe7don

With Barca being the only team in for Dembele, it's a shame. I don't blame the guy for wanting to join Barca especially when his dream club came calling. Messi isn't going to play forever and I'm sure Dembele would probably want to achieve that dream. With that being said, Dortmund don't want to sell this season but if we were smart, we could keep him at Dortmund for a couple seasons and be brought to OT when he's almost 22. We have a player that's growing and at the same time, he could take over on the right when Mata isn't first choice anymore.

beingshe7don

Bale is the only stand out name for me, if we were to bring a winger in.

Cant realistically see any of the names in this thread coming in.
Bale is not going to come. There are no reasons for him to leave. He plays when fit and he wins trophies for sure. He lives in Spain with better weather than Manchester and is pretty much living the dream. There's no point trying to get him especially since he's 28 and his biggest asset which is his pace will diminish overtime especially with his injuries. He's declined us way too many times and I won't blame him either because he wouldn't have won 3 Champions League trophies if he had joined us.

Crashoutcassius

Bit early, he's only had half a season in the bundesliga no?
a lot of people wanted us to sign him last year ! think he barely played this year and hasn't scored. Looked a bright talent though and a real winger. This is when you get these guys for less than 50m...

Cheekiey

Mahrez plays on the right though... He's a good player and would probably be an upgrade on Mata with his pace and trickery.
Yeah Mata and Mahrez are 2 different kinda players that would offer different things for different games, he's played pretty well with 3 assists so far and I'd defo take the punt on him. Real competition for Mata

Cheekiey

Yea would probably stand a good chance of taking him off Leicester too. Never noticed the defensive side of his game though which might be a negative for Jose.
True, Mata does cover alot of ground but he doesn't get back and cover Valencia, for me having Mahrez instead of Juan shouldn't be a problem

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mahrez is another player that likes dribbling into central areas and doesn't run behind his man unless he has the ball.
I don't really see the point.
If we are signing another winger, it should be in the Mane mould.

Last edited:

Redcy

Mahrez is notoriously inconsistent though, where was he last season? One good season and suddenly a class player, I am not keen. He is also another cut inside winger, the middle of the pitch is already clogged up as we saw last weekend, we need player who can give width to the game.

Cheekiey

Mahrez is another player that likes dribbling into central areas and doesn't run behind his man unless he has the ball.
I don't really see the point.
If we are signing another winger, it should be in the Mane mould.
Mahrez is notoriously inconsistent though, where was he last season? One good season and suddenly a class player, I am not keen. He is also another cut inside winger, the middle of the pitch is already clogged up as we saw last weekend, we need player who can give width to the game.
Who do you both suggest? for me a hardworking out an out right winger is Felipe Anderson