Our Academy = U18 + U21?

Sad Chris

I haven't spent much time with our youth/reserve teams and it's not clear to me if we really only have our U18 and U21.

Looking at the lineup for our Young Lions U17 Euros I noticed there's not one United player. Most of the players are London based.

Do we plan to expand our Academy in regards to age groups? Or where can I find out more?

Can somebody enlighten me? Cheers!

Sid234

I haven't spent much time with our youth/reserve teams and it's not clear to me if we really only have our U18 and U21.

Looking at the lineup for our Young Lions U17 Euros I noticed there's not one United player. Most of the players are London based.

Do we plan to expand our Academy in regards to age groups? Or where can I find out more?

Can somebody enlighten me? Cheers!
We have multiple age groups in the academy, starting at Under-9's. We have team's at every age group for each year after that. Under 10's, Under 11's and so on till the Under 16's..

Those team's and their players are not really publicized to protect kids from getting caught in the media's hype and public attention.

We are planning to revamp the academy's scouting and recruitment process, we've had a lot of change in the academy staff in the last year or two. Most notably, We've had Brian McClair, who was the head of the academy and Paul McGuinnes, who was the manager of the U-18's leave..Nicky Butt took over as the head of the academy earlier this year and we're also making new hires in the scouting department as well.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the crap in the media about how our academy is in terrible shape.. It's just sensational shit from them capitalizing on fam's general discontent with Van Gaal and the Glazers.

Sad Chris

We have multiple age groups in the academy, starting at Under-9's. We have team's at every age group for each year after that. Under 10's, Under 11's and so on till the Under 16's..

Those team's and their players are not really publicized to protect kids from getting caught in the media's hype and public attention.

We are planning to revamp the academy's scouting and recruitment process, we've had a lot of change in the academy staff in the last year or two. Most notably, We've had Brian McClair, who was the head of the academy and Paul McGuinnes, who was the manager of the U-18's leave..Nicky Butt took over as the head of the academy earlier this year and we're also making new hires in the scouting department as well.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the crap in the media about how our academy is in terrible shape.. It's just sensational shit from them capitalizing on fam's general discontent with Van Gaal and the Glazers.
Thanks Sid. So the reason we don't have any players in England's U17 squad is we don't have an U17 and the U16s are not ready or strong enough?

jb8521

Thanks Sid. So the reason we don't have any players in England's U17 squad is we don't have an U17 and the U16s are not ready or strong enough?
No clubs in England have under 17 squads. We have had 2 players play for England u17s this season, Lewis Thompson (who has joined Leicester City after we released him) and George Tanner but neither made the squad for the tournament. Due to the different cut off date for club football in England going by the school calendar players have to be born after 1-9-98 to be u17 whereas in International football its 1-1-99 so strangely enough we only have 2 other players in Kenyon and Sang who are eligible for England u17s this season

Last edited:

Sad Chris

No clubs in England have under 17 squads. We have had 2 players play for England u17s this season, Lewis Thompson (who has joined Leicester City after we released him) and George Tanner but neither made the squad for the tournament. Due to the different cut off date for club football in England going by the school calendar players have to be born after 1-9-98 to be u17 whereas in International football its 1-1-99 so strangely enough we only have 2 other players in Kenyon and Sang who are eligible for England u17s this season
Thanks for the details. I'd have expected all Uefa nations to be synced on things like this. It reminds me of how important a cutoff date can be for the later success of athletes. Like the hockey player's dob in Gladwell's book "Outliers".