Our bench yesterday

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Us having Hojlund, Casemiro, Martinez etc all out who would be the first 11 players doesn't count then atm? Because whoever mentions that we have feck ton of injuries is "not popular" to the lot who want to bash our manager for poor results only.
That's quite a confusing post to read.
But just in case I've not been clear earlier - I've pointed out it's ridiculous saying our bench was weak when we have a tonne of injuries.

This post here is just replying to someone who is suggesting out 99 bench was weak too. When it wasn't really, having 2 quality strikers, arguably 2 defenders who would start for us now plus sturdier squad players than some of the current lot. Plus the 3 out I mentioned, meaning 3 of the 99 final starters would have improved that bench even further.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That's quite a confusing post to read.
But just in case I've not been clear earlier - I've pointed out it's ridiculous saying our bench was weak when we have a tonne of injuries.

This post here is just replying to someone who is suggesting out 99 bench was weak too. When it wasn't really, having 2 quality strikers, arguably 2 defenders who would start for us now plus sturdier squad players than some of the current lot. Plus the 3 out I mentioned, meaning 3 of the 99 final starters would have improved that bench even further.
Wes Brown was just 20 y.o. and that season was his 1st "full season" with 21 appearance here and there (I doubt that he was a starter). I don't think you can count him.

Those 2 quality strikers we got them for peanuts, which should be achievable with the money we've spent. And we play a one striker system, so having 2 on the bench (which Sheringham is not a striker but more of a forward) doesn't mean much.

And the main point is, it was Champions League Final that we eventually won, with that kind of bench. You're right that was not the full squad, and we aren't either with those injuries.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wes Brown was just 20 y.o. and that season was his 1st "full season" with 21 appearance here and there (I doubt that he was a starter). I don't think you can count him.

Those 2 quality strikers we got them for peanuts, which should be achievable with the money we spent. And we play a one striker system, so having 2 on the bench (which Sheringham is not a striker but more of a forward) doesn't mean much.

And the main point is, it was Champions League Final that we eventually won, with that kind of bench. You're right that was not the full squad, and we aren't either with those injuries.
“That kind of bench” was a hell of a lot better than our current bench. That’s the main point here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
“That kind of bench” was a hell of a lot better than our current bench. That’s the main point here.
Of course, mate. But we were competing in CL Final, and it was a very average bench.

But our starting XI were rarely injured, and it was so strong. And SAF is one of the greatest manager.
So yeah, I don't know why I'm comparing this, the further I go on. Hahha..

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Worst ever?

Always winds me up when we have two keepers on the bench. Surely to feck there’s another outfield player available at the club who could sneak on there ahead of one of them?!
Possibly - only LvG had a couple to compare, was also due to ridiculous injuries

Ole did take a very inexperienced squad to some Europa game and I'm sure the bench that day was worse but we'd already qualified