Our best formation: 3-5-2 variations?

Web of Bissaka

3-1-4-2 / 3-5-2 or any variations of that.

Edited:
Made this thread before but then I thought it's a bad idea, so thinking it should be deleted and edited the OP.

Post #6, #24 & #35 (1st page) and #66 (2nd page) have my Original Post.

Last edited:

NoPace

I don't think we've looked great playing it, but our wingers haven't been impressive on the tour and Mkhitaryan looks much better as a 10/striker than a winger, and we do need a consistent 2nd goalscorer, so I think we could see it a fair amount.

It has potential but you need to put Bailly at RCB and have Lindelof as the sweeper defender in the middle. Smalling would be horrendous there.

Also not sure how comfortable Darmian would be playing so advanced, and Martial is better when free from defensive duties.

pacifictheme

It has potential but you need to put Bailly at RCB and have Lindelof as the sweeper defender in the middle. Smalling would be horrendous there.

Also not sure how comfortable Darmian would be playing so advanced, and Martial is better when free from defensive duties.
In a 3142 / 352 martial probably warms the bench with rashford and mata. I think this formation gets the best out of our best players. Pogba, matic, herrera, miki and lukaku. From what i have seen of the tour, miki has looked good so far forwards and this should aloow him a free role in behind lukaku. It gives pogba licence to get forward as well. Herrera isn't tied to complete defensive duties and can be more dynamic. Matic can sit and anchor midfield.

Varun

Staff
I don't see the need of playing 3 CBs there when we already have Matic. Add the fact that our FBs aren't the best going forwards, especially at LB and we'd look really short of numbers in attack.

Our squad is perfectly for a 4-3-3.

ManuMou

3-1-4-2: best formation?
Seems to be the one that can squeeze the very best out most of our players especially our key players eg. Pogba, Mkhitaryan & Valencia, also other players like Darmian, Blind, Bailly and Smalling, etc.

*Fully aware instructions and roles are a lot more important than (starting) position in any specified formation, but it's also true that specified positions in a given formation will affects "area of playing" which in turn affects the instructed roles.*

(Roles/Instructions & Areas of Playing) <-> Formation

Roles/Instructions + Formation = System​

*Basically, Formation influences "area of playing" and specified roles.* not totally

eg. Mkhi playing as RM will play more at right midfield and right wing areas despite the license to drift centrally at the 10's hole where he's most effective. Also, he's expected to help Valencia defensively, an instruction which he performed poorly in general and messes up his game somehow.

*Also, I'm fully aware it's still early and not enough games to evaluate. We may see it more in the upcoming Super Cup or/and when the season started.*

Play our best players in their best role and positions (area of playing) right? For max impacts.
eg. Conte's Chelsea struggles pre- new system with formation 3-4-3 last season.

Lukaku
|
Mkhitaryan
|
Darmian--Pogba---Herrera--Valencia
|
Matic
Blind-------------------------

Pogba (CM), with 2 defenders handling the left side at our back, and 2 midfielders take charge of defensive duties centrally, Pog can freely perform without worrying much of defensive duties. He's at his best being given free role, focusing more on attacking. He can provide good defensive support too which is cool. Also, with this system, he can always freely overlap into the box or drifting to the wing without any worries of losing the ball or immediate retreat. Having two constantly overlapping wing-backs is also important, as Pogba is at his best with a lot of player runnings everywhere around the field.

Mkhitaryan (CAM/AM/SS), Best area of playing and role where he doesn't need to worry much on defensive duties, and instead focus attacking creatively and scoring. He's at his best playing behind the striker using his unpredictable movements, paces and skills can disturb the opponent's defensive structure. With his abilities, he should be able to score 20 goals/season. Similarly, Mata (AM/CAM/SS) perform best at this area, but Mr. consistent here is equally adept playing at RM without any drop in performance.

Lukaku
|
Mkhitaryan​

Lukaku (ST), He's far better closer to the goal post than further. With this system, he doesn't need to help building attacks, which isn't his strong point, we have abundance of creative players for that and instead he should focus on getting the end of it and score. In 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formation, expecting Lukaku to always help with building up attacks can limit his game.

--Martial---Rashford
|
Pogba---Herrera
|
Matic
Rashford & Martial (ST), in an adjusted 3-1-4-2 formation with 2 strikers instead of the AM. Both of them are far better playing centrally than at out wide, around and inside the box where they can be more unpredictable and provide various attacking and scoring threats. In this system, they're not expected to provide defensive duties other than high pressing upfield, so Martial especially will excel more. Can also improve their scoring rate.

Herrera & Fellaini (CM), far-far away from the CDM role. Fellaini is horrible and costly at holding the midfield, and while Herrera can play well there, he's far better off with no positioning discipline/restrictions. His creativity and energy everywhere is more useful. Both are far better playing as B2B than holding. Glad we finally have Matic now, with Carrick as back-up.

^
|
|
Valencia​

Valencia (RWB), yup, with the RCB and RCM to cover behind him, Tony can freely attack and focus more on providing that width and crosses. As a RB, yes he's that good, solid and can easily nullify most attackers, but against a far quality players eg. in Champions League, his defensive abilities may be found out. His attacking prowess is that good, playing as RB can limit his game.

^
|
|
Darmian​

Darmian & Shaw (LWB), both have good stamina and good paces, can run up and down the left wing all game long. As LB, both are limited to not always attack and had to held/calculated their runs -- when to overlap and when to hold. Darmian especially had to focus more defensively staying at the back in 4-5-1 formations. In the 3-5-2 system, there's no restrictions so he can attack all the time. Shaw especially may not be that good at defending, thus having that LCB to cover him, helps him to cover his mistakes and express his attacking prowess.

Blind---Smalling---Bailly​

Blind (LCB), he tend to press much, made mistakes and exposed defensively, so having 2 other CBs and the LWB, to cover him means a lot. Can also fill the left side when the LWB overlaps to deliver good deep crosses. Additionally, with 2 CBs to cover him behind, he can freely more forward centrally to helps in attacks, and passing the ball around.

Bailly & Jones (RCB), the reality is.. on the air, both of them are big suspects. Not that good aerially, clean defending on the ground though and good passing from the back. So, with this system, having more defenders, especially the other 2 CBs can help solve the gap of their weaknesses.

Smalling (CB), he's very bad at building up attacks from the back. In 4-?-? formation, opponents will let him have the ball at his feet with no worries. With this system, Smalling doesn't need to contribute in building up attacks, and focus on his sole one job -- defending the box.

Lindelof (RCB), one big obvious weakness is his aerial defending abilities. Bis suspect, so with this system, can help cover his weakness. Also, help him express his general abilities -- passing and building up attacks from the back, plus his occasional forward runs. Other than that, having 2 other CBs and the RWB to cover him helps in settling in.

Tuanzebe (CB), can't see Mourinho trusting him at CB, so at least with this system, he would have 2 other CBs to cover his mistakes and to instruct him during game, as he eventually settling in and stealing the spot. Similar reasoning for Mitchell (LWB) & TFM (RWB), the former are very good attacking but suspect in defending, and the latter can be rash with easy fouls giveaway.

A. Pereira & McTominay (CM), with 3 man centre-midfield, easier settling in and more chances to play, rather than 2 man CMs. Pogba will play almost every game anyway. Also with literally 5 defenders, that's a lot of defensive coverings. No worries making some mistakes.

The downside to this which I can think of is..
  • Our 7 CB options can be a big issue. Ahem, fitness problems, suspensions, and injuries (Blind/Rojo/Tuanzebe/Smalling/Jones/Bailly/Lindelof).
  • Not enough playing times for our other attackers (Rashford, Martial, Mata, Lingard, A. Pereira) as Lukaku will play most game, so there is only one slot to fight against Mkhitaryan. Lingard and Pereira can play as WBs and CM respectively so that leave us with (Rashford, Martial & Mata) not enough gaming times.
  • Not Mourinho's favoured formation.
Thinking about it, we don't actually have real wingers, except Valencia, Young and Shaw who operate more as wing-backs, and Martial specific left winger further upfield ideally best with no defensive duty. If we got Perisic, that would be our only proper winger who is a side midfielder that can attacks and defend convincingly. If we don't get him, using the system is an alternative. Even if we got him, he could make the system more effective.

Width is very useful in football -- stretching the opposing defensive structure and exploiting the many spaces that opened up in the enemy's territory. The system with formation 3-1-4-2 means both side's width is a guarantee, while providing abundance of defensive covers, Matic-ally balance/stability and our key players are more densely focused attacking centrally.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Too soon?
Won't go too much into details, while I have some disagreement, but generally I agree with most of your posts.

Personally I prefer 3-5-2 as well.

The main factors

1. One of the main reasons is that I think we are seriously lacking proper RW/LW as of this moment (Martial is our only real LW, but he is vry inconsistent)
2. It brings the best out of our players, including......Valencia, Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Mkhi, Lukaku
2. LWB would be our weakest link. But net net, it benefits the whole team.
4. More balance in our system
- Specifically, against big teams, Jose will likely play counter attacking football.
- With this system, and with the lack of proper RW/LW, this system can help us transitions from defense to attack much more effectively.
- One huge success was 2-0 Chelsea home game last season (however, it was only one example)
- We "were not defensive", but the game plan was still counter attacking, but less defensively as compared to Jose's usual "defensive 4-3-3", hence the possession of roughly 50-50 for both teams.
- Other reasons include the game plan was executed almost perfectly, and almost everyone was either good/outperform. Hence we doesn't seem too defensive. Imagine we play against Barca, I expect our possession to be between 40-45%.
- My point is, 3-5-2 allows us to play counter attacking less defensively than the usual "uber defensive" 4-3-3, bcz it is more balanced

Whether Jose will use this system

1. He hinted that "four at the back" would be the default system. However, he "could use" 3-5-2
2. I think it's mainly bcz its not easy to transition/start a new system, for both manager and players. It's definitely much more harder than theory on paper. From a risk management perspective, it's more risky. So it's prudent to test it out before making a decision.
3. I believe Jose is willing to try out this system. So now that highly depends on how we perform. If good, then let's go !!
4. Jose is tactical & pragmatic. He has been mainly using 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 in the past doesn't mean he wont try something new
5. He tested it twice @ pre-season.

In short, I think Jose is in the process of testing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

Bwuk

I'd like 343 but against bigger sides another midfielder and revert to 352

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Would put too much emphasis on Valencia to create the chances and Lukaku to score them, just like last season.
Left side attack will be non existant.

DeOddi

Thought we played our best football with 3 at the back in pre-season. Was the only time we actually had someone to provide width (our wingbacks). Even Darmian looked quite solid and went forward a lot. When we played with 4 at the back both full-backs were a lot more conservative and left our other wide players isolated and our attack usually looked very poor.

stevoc

I don't see the need of playing 3 CBs there when we already have Matic. Add the fact that our FBs aren't the best going forwards, especially at LB and we'd look really short of numbers in attack.

Yeah 433 or variations of it, and thats what we will play most of the time. And 352 for certain games when we are going more defensive, but we don't really have the players for it.

Seems like these threads pop up all the time these days. 352 is the new fad it seems.

SirMattBugsby

I think 3-1-4-2 is a good system for seeing out games. Replace an attacker from the front three with a defender. Will also be useful in tough games like the one against Chelsea last season.

4-3-3 has its own flaws, biggest being the misuse of Mkhitaryan and Mata. LB role is also meh. Darmian has experience playing LWB and Blind looks better at LCB imo.

This, along with Matic, allows Pogba to join attacks more than in 4-3-3. The downside is, of course, that Martial at LW is sacrificed.

Given that we don't have a clear-cut first eleven, 3-1-4-2 will be useful.

settembrini

I would call it 3-5-2 but yes I think it is our best formation at present.

People will insist on calling it defensive for a while but the more we use it the more they will come around to it. Once we get a Perisic (or someone similar on the left) and have two wide man getting crosses into two forwards while Pogba, Herrera and Matic dominate the midfield... Then people will realise it's a spiritual successor to Ferguson's 4-4-2 of the 90s. Especially when they see how much better we will be at counter attacking this season.

Varun

Staff
I think 3-1-4-2 is a good system for seeing out games. Replace an attacker from the front three with a defender. Will also be useful in tough games like the one against Chelsea last season.

4-3-3 has its own flaws, biggest being the misuse of Mkhitaryan and Mata. LB role is also meh. Darmian has experience playing LWB and Blind looks better at LCB imo.

This, along with Matic, allows Pogba to join attacks more than in 4-3-3. The downside is, of course, that Martial at LW is sacrificed.

Given that we don't have a clear-cut first eleven, 3-1-4-2 will be useful.
Using it to see out games and using it as the stock system are 2 different things though. The quality of wing backs is absolutely critical in such a role because if they're shit, the attack will be very toothless. We also don't have someone like Luiz to step a bit and build up at the back unless Mourinho plays blind there.

ManuMou

Whether in 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, our attacks......

CF is done

Lukaku

Midfield is done

4-2-3-1
---------
Mkhi------------

Pogba------Herrera/Matic

4-3-3
Pogba------Herrera
-------Matic--------

For both systems, without Perisic, the only question is LW & RW

Martial
Rashford
Mkhi
Mata
Lingard

Undeniably Martial, Rashford, and Mkhi are the main options. Unless they step up from last season's form, and even with the signing of Lukaku and Matic will create more space, better movement, and free up Pogba/Herrera, our chance of winning PL/CL is not high.

Some ppl are "expecting" our attackers would suddenly outperform last season, although it's not impossible, I think we could try out new systems (not make a decision yet) or sign a winger. We don't have to play 3-5-2 100% of time, mayb slowly by playing more of this system over time, at the same time still using 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

I would really love Perisic as a stop gap for a good 2-3 years, and at the same time give some time for Martial & Rashford to step up and potentially become world class, but with the downside of reducing their playing time.

If we are unable to sign Perisic/someone and without new system, the wild card for this season is the form of Martial, Rashford, and Mkhi. Not bad, but from a risk management standpoint, it could have been better by taking some risk. We don't have to "all in" on Martial/Rash/Mkhi. We hav other options.

That's the way I see it.

Saf94

This formation was definitely our best in preseason imo. Most notably to me was how this formation allowed us to be effective on the wing because our wingbacks were basically free players who weren't being marked. Valencia and Darmian had loads of space throughout the first half against Sampdoria and could (possibly should) have set up more than just the 1 goal.

This formation also allowed us to play Mikhi and Pogba in their best positions which is very important because they are our two best and most creative players, if we can get the best out of them we could flourish this season. Lukaku also had lots of opportunities to drift unmarked into the wings which helped him find space often with the ball at his feet. Lukaku seems like he could score anytime he gets the ball near the box so the more we can get him into those position with the ball at his feet the better for us. Even if he doesn't score he creates space for others so well simply by attracting multiple defenders who need to get through his huge frame to get the ball off him.

My main issue with this system is, as mentioned above, a lot of our key players don't fit in it. This is just an unfortunate nature of our highly unbalanced team and scattergun approach to signings over the last few years. My other slight issue is that this formation is highly dependent on the wingbacks for chance creation and forward play. I'm actually fairly pleased with Valencia and Darmian, if Shaw can keep fit and stay on top form we could be lightning on the wings, if not though I'd prefer if we got a left wing back.

Other than that I think this is our most balanced formation yet, I expect to see us play this system quite a bit this coming season although, again as mentioned above, Mourinho is quite pragmatic so it probably won't be the default formation, not at the start at least

Saf94

Whether in 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, our attacks......

CF is done

Lukaku

Midfield is done

4-2-3-1
---------
Mkhi------------

Pogba------Herrera/Matic

4-3-3
Pogba------Herrera
-------Matic--------

For both systems, without Perisic, the only question is LW & RW

Martial
Rashford
Mkhi
Mata
Lingard

Undeniably Martial, Rashford, and Mkhi are the main options. Unless they step up from last season's form, and even with the signing of Lukaku and Matic will create more space, better movement, and free up Pogba/Herrera, our chance of winning PL/CL is not high.

Some ppl are "expecting" our attackers would suddenly outperform last season, although it's not impossible, I think we could try out new systems (not make a decision yet) or sign a winger. We don't have to play 3-5-2 100% of time, mayb slowly by playing more of this system over time, at the same time still using 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

I would really love Perisic as a stop gap for a good 2-3 years, and at the same time give some time for Martial & Rashford to step up and potentially become world class, but with the downside of reducing their playing time.

If we are unable to sign Perisic/someone and without new system, the wild card for this season is the form of Martial, Rashford, and Mkhi. Not bad, but from a risk management standpoint, it could have been better by taking some risk. We don't have to "all in" on Martial/Rash/Mkhi. We hav other options.

That's the way I see it.
A lot of the reasons why our attackers didn't perform is tactical. In a 4231/433 our wingers drift in, none stay out wide hugging the touchline. Our strikers also liked to drop deep and our mids liked to push forward. This basically led to a large concentration of players in the middle attacking third and not much movement around that. We suffered greatly from a lack of players stretching the defence (either horizontally or vertically) to create space in the middle or exploit the space on the wings. This is why Valencia was so often our effective out ball because he was the only player who would stay wide and push forward.

If we play a 4231 or 433 we are still going to be very easy to defend against if the opposition sits deep and narrow. There will be no space to run in behind and we will have no players creating width by hugging the touchline. It's this reason that it's very clear why Mou wanted Perisic, if we don't get him we are just going to face the same issues as last season regardless of if our players improve our outperform last season.

The truth is our team is very unbalanced and doesn't lend itself well to any formation because we don't have the right players who gel together, we have far too many playmakers and players who like to play infront of the defence, very few who like to stretch teams through width or runs from the midfield. This is why I really hope Mou turns Perreira into a Lampard style midfielder, he made some decent runs in the first half against Sampdoria and if he can make that a regular part of his game that can be huge for our team tactically.

iamjacks

6 defensive players seems a tad excessive for me! Especially when you consider Herrera has been used to primarily put his foot in and play the ball from deep for the past 12 month also....so 7 players focused on defence!

Our problem last season wasn't defending, it was scoring at the other end and breaking teams down. Opposition knew that if they were neat at the back, the would frustrate us and our composure seemed to go even more wayward.

The issue Mourinho has identified and even mentioned is balance, that transitions from defence to attack and then back the other way. It's why he signaled out that CDM as the essential signing he needed. He's got Matic, and we hope he is that man to shield the back four, whilst offering the likes of Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku some lighter defensive duties....we know Mourinho isn't going to let any of them off totally!

As for your formation, yes the wingbacks now are freer to get forward, but they would be without three at the back, as Matic's job will be to fill in those gaps out wide that present on the counter.

Three at the back also suggests you've midfielders in the middle who all like to get forward, well Matic I don't believe will be looking to do that greatly in most systems, so you don't need him, another midfielder like Herrera who can win the ball back and break up play, alongside the traditional central 1 of 3 ball play CB in a three man defence. They are expected to bring the ball out and find the player to set the team on the attack. This is Matic, no?

Reactions: Invictus

tob

I'd agree that three at the back, wingbacks and playing two up front suits our current squad more.
However, our problem is scoring goals and playing 3-1-4-2 seems too defensive against teams in the lower half.

I would switch between 3-1-4-2 and 3-4-1-2 depending on the team we're up against.

------------Martial----Lukaku
---------------Mkhitaryan
Darmian---Pogba---Matic---Valencia
-------Rojo----Smalling----Bailly
-----------------de Gea

We should be the dominant side in most games so I don't feel the need to have a deep lying centre midfielder behind the two other centre midfielders. Now that we have Matic as a more defensive minded midfielder to partner Pogba, we should be protected and the three at the back should be enough.

The downside with this is no Herrera.

settembrini

How do people reconcile their belief that three at the back is 'defensive' with the fact that the two top scoring teams in the league both used that system regularly last season?

finneh

I'm not sure I follow the logic of the solution to not scoring enough goals being to reduce the amount of attacking players on the pitch to 2. I'm not sure how Lukaku and Mkhitaryan, supported by Pogba (or whoever comes on into their positions) are going to score 80 Premier League goals.

If anything we need to increase the amount of attacking players and find a way to get our 4 best goalscoring attackers - Martial/Rashford, Mata, Mkhitaryan & Lukaku all on the pitch at the same time.

iamjacks

How do people reconcile their belief that three at the back is 'defensive' with the fact that the two top scoring teams in the league both used that system regularly last season?
Chelsea - Moses is more attack minded, both him and Alonso had excellent seasons and helped with goals/assists. Luiz steps up and brings ball out, helping Kante, who nothing needs more be said on. Conte would go with Matic or Fabregas deeper depending on what game required. Hazard, Costa and Willian/Pedro all freed up to do damage in attack.

Spurs - Rose and Walker last season were best attacking fullbacks in the league. Dier steps up and brings the ball out, he's played in CM consistently and is essentially playing CDM at certain points of game. Wanyama and Dembele are more energetic, box to box CM's, neither interested in sitting deep. Alli, Ericksen, Son and Kane are all proven Premier League goalscorers and the formation allows them to do their thing.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Seems to be the one that can squeeze the very best out most of our players especially our key players eg. Pogba, Mkhitaryan & Valencia, also other players like Darmian, Blind, Bailly and Smalling, etc.

*Fully aware instructions and roles are a lot more important than (starting) position in any specified formation, but it's also true that specified positions in a given formation will affects "area of playing" which in turn affects the instructed roles.*

*Basically, Formation influences "area of playing" and specified roles.* not totally

eg. Mkhi playing as RM will play more at right midfield and right wing areas despite the license to drift centrally at the 10's hole where he's most effective. Also, he's expected to help Valencia defensively, an instruction which he performed poorly in general and messes up his game somehow.

*Also, I'm fully aware it's still early and not enough games to evaluate. We may see it more in the upcoming Super Cup or/and when the season started.*

Play our best players in their best role and positions (area of playing) right? For max impacts.

Lukaku
|
Mkhitaryan
|
|
Matic

Pogba (CM), with 2 defenders handling the left side at our back, and 2 midfielders take charge of defensive duties centrally, Pog can freely perform without worrying much of defensive duties. He's at his best being given free role, focusing more on attacking. He can provide good defensive support too which is cool. Also, with this system, he can always freely overlap into the box or drifting to the wing without any worries of losing the ball or immediate retreat. Having two constantly overlapping wing-backs is also important, as Pogba is at his best with a lot of player runnings everywhere around the field.

Mkhitaryan (CAM/AM/SS), Best area of playing and role where he doesn't need to worry much on defensive duties, and instead focus attacking creatively and scoring. He's at his best playing behind the striker using his unpredictable movements, paces and skills can disturb the opponent's defensive structure. With his abilities, he should be able to score 20 goals/season. Similarly, Mata (AM/CAM/SS) perform best at this area, but Mr. consistent here is equally adept playing at RM without any drop in performance.

Lukaku
|
Mkhitaryan​

Lukaku (ST), He's far better closer to the goal post than further. With this system, he doesn't need to help building attacks, which isn't his strong point, we have abundance of creative players for that and instead he should focus on getting the end of it and score. In 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formation, expecting Lukaku to always help with building up attacks can limit his game.

--Martial---Rashford
|
Pogba---Herrera
|
Matic
Rashford & Martial (ST), in an adjusted 3-1-4-2 formation with 2 strikers instead of the AM. Both of them are far better playing centrally than at out wide, around and inside the box where they can be more unpredictable and provide various attacking and scoring threats. In this system, they're not expected to provide defensive duties other than high pressing upfield, so Martial especially will excel more. Can also improve their scoring rate.

Herrera & Fellaini (CM), far-far away from the CDM role. Fellaini is horrible and costly at holding the midfield, and while Herrera can play well there, he's far better off with no positioning discipline/restrictions. His creativity and energy everywhere is more useful. Both are far better playing as B2B than holding. Glad we finally have Matic now, with Carrick as back-up.

^
|
|
Valencia​

Valencia (RWB), yup, with the RCB and RCM to cover behind him, Tony can freely attack and focus more on providing that width and crosses. As a RB, yes he's that good, solid and can easily nullify most attackers, but against a far quality players eg. in Champions League, his defensive abilities may be found out. His attacking prowess is that good, playing as RB can limit his game.

^
|
|
Darmian​

Darmian & Shaw (LWB), both have good stamina and good paces, can run up and down the left wing all game long. As LB, both are limited to not always attack and had to held/calculated their runs -- when to overlap and when to hold. Darmian especially had to focus more defensively staying at the back in 4-5-1 formations. In the 3-5-2 system, there's no restrictions so he can attack all the time. Shaw especially may not be that good at defending, thus having that LCB to cover him, helps him to cover his mistakes and express his attacking prowess.

Blind (LCB), he tend to press much, made mistakes and exposed defensively, so having 2 other CBs and the LWB, to cover him means a lot. Can also fill the left side when the LWB overlaps to deliver good deep crosses. Additionally, with 2 CBs to cover him behind, he can freely more forward centrally to helps in attacks, and passing the ball around.

Bailly & Jones (RCB), the reality is.. on the air, both of them are big suspects. Not that good aerially, clean defending on the ground though and good passing from the back. So, with this system, having more defenders, especially the other 2 CBs can help solve the gap of their weaknesses.

Smalling (CB), he's very bad at building up attacks from the back. In 4-?-? formation, opponents will let him have the ball at his feet with no worries. With this system, Smalling doesn't need to contribute in building up attacks, and focus on his sole one job -- defending the box.

Lindelof (RCB), one big obvious weakness is his aerial defending abilities. Bis suspect, so with this system, can help cover his weakness. Also, help him express his general abilities -- passing and building up attacks from the back, plus his occasional forward runs. Other than that, having 2 other CBs and the RWB to cover him helps in settling in.

Tuanzebe (CB), can't see Mourinho trusting him at CB, so at least with this system, he would have 2 other CBs to cover his mistakes and to instruct him during game, as he eventually settling in and stealing the spot. Similar reasoning for Mitchell (LWB) & TFM (RWB), the former are very good attacking but suspect in defending, and the latter can be rash with easy fouls giveaway.

A. Pereira & McTominay (CM), with 3 man centre-midfield, easier settling in and more chances to play, rather than 2 man CMs. Pogba will play almost every game anyway. Also with literally 5 defenders, that's a lot of defensive coverings. No worries making some mistakes.

• Our 7 CB options can be a big issue. Ahem, fitness problems, suspensions, and injuries (Blind/Rojo/Tuanzebe/Smalling/Jones/Bailly/Lindelof).
  • Not enough playing times for our other attackers (Rashford, Martial, Mata, Lingard, A. Pereira) as Lukaku will play most game, so there is only one slot to fight against Mkhitaryan. Lingard and Pereira can play as WBs and CM respectively so that leave us with (Rashford, Martial & Mata) not enough gaming times.
Thinking about it, we don't actually have real wingers, except Valencia, Young and Shaw who operate more as wing-backs, and Martial specific left winger further upfield ideally best with no defensive duty. If we got Perisic, that would be our only proper winger who is a side midfielder that can attacks and defend convincingly. If we don't get him, using the system is an alternative. Even if we got him, he could make the system more effective.

Width is very useful in football -- stretching the opposing defensive structure and exploiting the many spaces that opened up in the enemy's territory. The system with formation 3-1-4-2 means both side's width is a guarantee, while providing abundance of defensive covers, Matic-ally balance/stability and our key players are more densely focused attacking centrally.

Good post, but I do not agree. If we play three at the back, Matic, in a DM, will be of less use. Look at Chelsea last year, and how Luiz dominated the same area as Matic did in 14/15.

In my opinion, the set-up also feels to "heavy". We will basically attack with one man less than most of the other sides. And our players do not have the creativity to make up for it. I notice that you underline that we Pogba will be given a "free role". If so, push him up along Mhiki and put Matic next to Herrera. But of course, this does not get the best from Matic.

I would argue that the best set-up for us is a 433. Matic as a DM, Herrera and Pogba as box-to-box with Pogba given more freedom. The attackers next to Lukaku should be narrow wingers attacking the space between the fullbacks and central defenders (similar to Chelsea last year).

The biggest challenge in this set-up will be width. The width should be provided by our fullbacks, but how luch attacking freedom can we give them? On the right hand side I'm not worried, as Herrera will be an excellent cover for Valencia. On the left hand side, on the other hand, we can not waste Pogba on providing cover for Darmian. And Matic, as a DM, should not be pulled to far out of position.

That might explain we Mourinho would want Perisic. It might benefit a hard-working Jessie Lingard. The left attacker will have to do part of the job Herrera does for Valencia to let us fully exploit Paul Pogbas attacking potential.

DannyDee

Would rather see us try to set up in a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond with Matic asked to occasionally drop back and the full-backs asked to provide width. Not sure if we have the full backs capable of trying this right now. Everywhere else we have the skill to do it. If I remember correctly this is how AC Milan lined up a lot in the mid-2000's.

GloryHunter07

100% agree, its basically a 5-3-2

Need to switch one of the centre mids for a wide attacker/ striker if we play 3 at the back.

Camilo

Whether we play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever, we're always short of a great left back, a great second choice/young left back, and a Valencia replacement/understudy - players that are more interested in attacking and stretching teams than defending.

As it is we just don't have that threat, and as a result we could have the best central core of any team in world, but if the opposition can stick 10 men within the width of the box, we're not getting far! We otherwise have the players to play any of these formations, so I'm positive about it all. We just need better width...I think...or maybe Darmian, Shaw and Valencia will prove me wrong..

Saf94

The problem is people think about football the wrong way. It's not about how many attacking players you can get on the pitch, it's about making space for your attacking players in dangerous areas of the pitch.

Playing 6 defensive players or playing 4 defensive players is irrelevent. We could push all our players up high but if the opposition sits deep and defends narrow we won't be able to do anything if we aren't creating spaces. Teams who push very high and dominate the ball are usually teams who are very good technically and can play in tight spaces and shift the opposition around very expertly to create spaces and exploit them. If you don't have that then you need to come up with another way to create space in the opposition area. Klopp's Liverpool are an extremely good example of this, they have a very limited squad but Klopp's tactics of winning the ball high up and being extremeley quick in the attacking transitions and on the counter has led to them being a formidable force in the league. Almost any other manager other than Klopp and that Liverpool side is finishing 6/7th every season.

The 352 worked so well for Conte because it's hard to match up against/mark the opposition with a traditional 433/4231. The 352 gives you so many free players, the wingbacks can't be marked by opposition fullbacks, the centrebacks can push up and bring the ball out and they can't be marked. The attackers (like Hazard and Pedro) who drop deep and take up pockets of space can't be marked easily. It's a great system for unsettling the opposition and shifting them about to create space. Chelsea then had a lot of quality players who were good at exploiting those spaces - Hazard, Costa, Pedro, Alonso and Moses etc. This is also why teams who played a 352/343 against Chelsea often did well against them, us, Spurs and Arsenal in the FA Cup final all beat Chelsea using a 3 at the back formation because they were able to match up against them and counter their formation.

There's more to it than that but in essence people need to think not about how many good attacking players we have high up the pitch, but if those players can find space or not, something we pretty much struggled with regularly against teams who defended deep.

Last edited:

NoLogo

Could be good but again I think every narrow formation dies with the fact that we don't have world class fullbacks, which would be essential to playing this style of football. On top of that I'm not sure where the goals are supposed to come from. Lukaku and Mkhi are the only players in this formation that seem a goal threat, maybe Pogba to some extend but that's about it.

I say we should stick with the 4-3-3 which produced some pretty good football for us last season even though we sometimes lacked fire power. The existing players need to make a step up when it comes to converting chances and we will finish much better than last season. Even the Perisic deal doesn't seem to be totally off the table.

NoLogo

Well for one Chelsea and City both play more in a 3-4-3 and not in what the OP posted. The problem I see are the players on the pitch he listed, who is going to score goals in this formation? Lukaku and Mkhi and maybe Pogba, but that's it. Neither Valencia nor Shaw have ever shown a neck for goal scoring and Herrera doesn't seem to be very prolific in front of goal either.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
4-1-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond would be our best formation IMO.

------------Martial----Lukaku-----------
---------------
Mkhitaryan---------------
----------
Pogba--------Herrera--------
------------------
Matic------------------
--
Shaw-----Rojo-----Bailly----Valencia
-----------------de Gea

Our full backs give us the width and Matic drops in between our CB's to make it 3 CB's when we are defending. This formation gives us everthing. We get to play a number 10 as well as 2 strikers, we still have 3 midfielders to control the game and we are solid at the back with Matic helping out our CB's. We are missing a trick not playing this system.

Blind

Really not a fan of that team, we'd see even more 0-0 draws. I think three at the back is a good option but only if it allows more freedom for our attackers. Martial and Rashford could thrive alongside Lukaku if they're freed from a lot of their defensive duties, Mkhitaryan and Pogba too, breaking through the middle, but I suspect it will be used in tougher matches and essentially be five at the back.

Reynoldo

4-1-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond would be our best formation IMO.

------------Martial----Lukaku-----------
---------------
Mkhitaryan---------------
----------
Pogba--------Herrera--------
------------------
Matic------------------
--
Shaw-----Rojo-----Bailly----Valencia
-----------------de Gea

Our full backs give us the width and Matic drops in between our CB's to make it 3 CB's when we are defending. This formation gives us everthing. We get to play a number 10 as well as 2 strikers, we still have 3 midfielders to control the game and we are solid at the back with Matic helping out our CB's. We are missing a trick not playing this system.
That could actually work great as Matic staying so close to the CB's anyway really does ask the question if we actually need 3 CB's on the pitch.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
That could actually work great as Matic staying so close to the CB's anyway really does ask the question if we actually need 3 CB's on the pitch.
Exactly. I really do not like the idea of playing 3 CB's and Matic. It causes us to become overly defensive and rely on counter attacks which won't work against teams which sit back against us.

mewnew11

Lukaku
|
Mkhitaryan
|
|
Matic

Lukaku
|
Mkhitaryan​

--Martial---Rashford
|
Pogba---Herrera
|
Matic

^
|
|
Valencia​

^
|
|
Darmian​

Excellent post.

The missing puzzle here is Perisic, who i think would be instrumental in carrying out Mourinho's plan in the 3-5-2.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I prefer only having one of matic/herrera behind pogba, and using miki as the one in midfield who breaks forward with martial/rashford next to lukaku. Makes it much more attacking, as otherwise its just miki/lukaku with the occasional pogba run up.

MrSingh2002

Martial/Rashford Lukaku
Mkhitaryan
Lingard/Shaw Pogba Matic Valencia
Rojo Bailly Lindelof
De Gea

3412​

mewnew11

I prefer only having one of matic/herrera behind pogba, and using miki as the one in midfield who breaks forward with martial/rashford next to lukaku. Makes it much more attacking, as otherwise its just miki/lukaku with the occasional pogba run up.
These are great options to have though. At old trafford against smaller teams two strikers with One of Harrera/Matic. With bigger teams or in away games , Harrera and Matic would give us a solid base with pogba and the wingers helping in counter attacking

Roboc7

If we play this way teams will pack central areas and let our wing backs have the ball, they aren't good enough going forward and aren't good crossers so we would be easy to contain.

Surely is this was the plan an attacking full back or two should have been brought in.