Our Best midfield

Redlyn

So what are some of our best centre midfield combinations? It could be based on current form or potential. Also it could be a case of horses for courses.

I think Fred Pogba Bruno is probably our best one since its hard to drop Pogba on current form.

What's your pick?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure, in terms of quality and form, Fernandes - Pogba - Fred. However, our midfielders serve different purposes, depending on form and on a game to game basis, there's going to be times when Fernandes - Matic - Pogba is our best midfield and situationally there's times Fernandes - McTominay - Fred could even be our best midfield. That was a lot of words for me to basically say "it depends".

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
So what are some of our best centre midfield combinations? It could be based on current form or potential. Also it could be a case of horses for courses.

I think Fred Pogba Bruno is probably our best one since its hard to drop Pogba on current form.

What's your pick?
When we play a 4-2-3-1 I view it as 5 midfielders. My pick is

..Rashford........Bruno.......Pogba
...........Fred..........McT/Matic

However, I like how Ole mixes it up depending on the opponent. Vs Burnley he included Matic for his height and that was critical.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It's probably easier to name the combinations that don't work, as against different opponents we'll see different variations.

The one everyone originally was hoping for I don't think we'll ever see though

DvB
Bruno Pogba

With Donny as the 6.

AgentSmith

Against teams worse than us:

Pogba Fred​

Bruno​

Against teams our level or better than us:

McTominay Fred

Bruno​

Pogba playing in that freer RAM/LAM role in this system.

GoldTrafford99

Depends who we're playing against...

But on paper, the best combo in the current shape is:

............McTom..........
...........................Pogba
....Fernandes...............

Lewnited

Fred/McTominay
Pogba
Bruno

Fred and McTominay is only fine when Bruno in front of them is in form and producing a goal or assist per game. The moment he falls out of form we don't actually create much at all, as we've seen over the past few weeks. With that in mind it's one or the other for me, Pogba and Bruno pick themselves.

Redlyn

It's probably easier to name the combinations that don't work, as against different opponents we'll see different variations.

The one everyone originally was hoping for I don't think we'll ever see though

DvB
Bruno Pogba

With Donny as the 6.

Yes that's way too attacking. It would take a massive injury crisis to Fred, Mct and Matic to see that one. But based on how Donny develops this time next year we could be talking about a different best midfield. Not that though.

Fridge chutney

What's your pick?
I think you nailed it. Pogba's a great tactical option because you can move him forward (wide left or right) and bring in Matic or McT too.

lost7

Matic has got to be one of the most underrated players in our team. The last time he started he was arguably MOTM (against Burnley) and all the stats show that when he starts we're much more solid at the back. He's also much better than both Fred and McTominay at threading the ball through the lines, which is essential for our team considering Bruno is becoming less of a midfielder and more of a forward.

As shown by our form post lockdown last season, our best midfield is Matic Pogba Bruno and seeing as Matic is no longer able to play all games, we must buy a top class CDM in the summer to replace him.

Crashoutcassius

Depends on the game. If we have tons of the ball and under no pressure , Matic and pogba. If we have to try to battle in midfield and win the ball and counter, mctom and Fred.

The most balanced is in theory fred and pogba. Pogba was regularly getting caught out with the ball and on the break at the start of the season but seems over that now for the most part

It’s really difficult, and we’ve not found the right balance. If we play Pogba and Bruno - I think we need to also play Fred and McT - which means only 2 attackers.

the reality is I don’t think we have a best midfield lineup. On one hand you can say that’s not ideal, but you can also say it gives us lots of flexibility.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
McTominay is nowhere near it, that's for sure.

Pogba and one of Fred or Matic, depending on the opposition.
I mean he obviously is, like. Near it. Lots of posters have him in their line-up. You might not have him in yours, which is fair enough...he is near it though.

Kyonn

When we play a 4-2-3-1 I view it as 5 midfielders. My pick is

..Rashford........Bruno.......Pogba
...........Fred..........McT/Matic

However, I like how Ole mixes it up depending on the opponent. Vs Burnley he included Matic for his height and that was critical.
This against top teams.

Against team that sit back we can play Pogba at CM.

Andersons Dietician

Weird question because Bruno would clearly be in there but he doesn’t play as a midfielder so to me the answer is McT, Fred, Bruno then Pogba on the left so he can come inside and cover Bruno.

dal

————-Matic———Fred————-
Greenwood—-Bruno——Pogba
————————Rashford————

Id like to see more often, a nice mix of everything.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Against weak teams - Fred-Pogba-Bruno
Against decent teams - Fred-Matic-Bruno
Against top teams - Fred-McTominay-Bruno

I would be hoping that Matic does well enough that he overtakes McTominay against the top teams as well, although he'll need regular rests and I don't want to see him play more than one match a week. If Pogba continues his recent good form he can play on the wing in the latter two formations.

acnumber9

Time to reconsider what actually is our best midfield for these games. McTominay and Fred have started against the ‘big 6’ 6 times this season and we haven’t scored a single goal. It’s not working anymore.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Time to reconsider what actually is our best midfield for these games. McTominay and Fred have started against the ‘big 6’ 6 times this season and we haven’t scored a single goal. It’s not working anymore.
What was the alternative today? Matic who's played 2 full games already this week or VDB who I wouldn't trust in an under 23's game

We're suffering with yet another Pogba injury

Superunknown

Completely agree. There's not enough creativity in that midfield and it's hindering our attack. We absolutely need to go into the transfer market and get somebody in to replace either Fred or McTominay, or we need to think about altering out system. We're too reliant on Bruno to start things or bail us out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think before people answer this question, I think we first need to ask ourselves what we want from our midfield.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Vital that we replace Pogba in the Summer with quality on the ball.

Litch

Not sure how many games we have lost cause of midfield but can think of a few of attack or defence.

Ash_G

Completely agree. There's not enough creativity in that midfield and it's hindering our attack. We absolutely need to go into the transfer market and get somebody in to replace either Fred or McTominay, or we need to think about altering out system. We're too reliant on Bruno to start things or bail us out.
I think it depends what we're looking for.

In general I agree the Fred/McT can't be the long term plan as they're not good enough. I have a lot of time for Fred and have no issue with him being a starter but the problem is that he shouldn't be our best cm which he is when Pogba isn't available. McT is definitely a good squad option but unless he kicks on a lot I just don't think he has enough to his game and the right side with him and AWB, particularly if throw James in there, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of ability on the ball.

However in principal they could work as a base in a lot of games but the attack needs to be a lot better, we don't have enough players who can work in isolation in attack and as a unit there's not enough cohesion.

Personally I think that whilst both are a problem (assuming Pogba is leaving in summer) that it's the attack that needs more work. I'm just not convinced that their issue is a lack of service, they just are not gelling as a unit at all and it's hard to see what we're trying to achieve bar individual moments, countering and the Shaw overlap. I don't see it as a case that the players are just not being found or given the ball in positions where they can then create for others.

acnumber9

What was the alternative today? Matic who's played 2 full games already this week or VDB who I wouldn't trust in an under 23's game

We're suffering with yet another Pogba injury
We didn’t have to play Matic mid week. But yeah, it was a tough decision to make today. Today in isolation isn’t the problem though. It’s the pattern we’ve seen all season.

acnumber9

I think before people answer this question, I think we first need to ask ourselves what we want from our midfield.
A chance at scoring a goal. It’s clear that our mentality changed after we got battered by Spurs but sacrificing attack to defend isn’t helping. We’d be considerably better off wining one and losing one than getting draws every time.,

Litch

I'm a big Pogs fan but a few games this season doesn't mean he's the answer now. World class player but no way consistent enough and not discipline enough leaving whoever plays next to him a bit exposed.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A chance at scoring a goal. It’s clear that our mentality changed after we got battered by Spurs but sacrificing attack to defend isn’t helping. We’d be considerably better off wining one and losing one than getting draws every time.,
If that’s what you want, then any midfield with Bruno in it is a good one. He’s as big a goal threat from midfield as there is in world football.

Superunknown

I think it depends what we're looking for.

In general I agree the Fred/McT can't be the long term plan as they're not good enough. I have a lot of time for Fred and have no issue with him being a starter but the problem is that he shouldn't be our best cm which he is when Pogba isn't available. McT is definitely a good squad option but unless he kicks on a lot I just don't think he has enough to his game and the right side with him and AWB, particularly if throw James in there, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of ability on the ball.

However in principal they could work as a base in a lot of games but the attack needs to be a lot better, we don't have enough players who can work in isolation in attack and as a unit there's not enough cohesion.

Personally I think that whilst both are a problem (assuming Pogba is leaving in summer) that it's the attack that needs more work. I'm just not convinced that their issue is a lack of service, they just are not gelling as a unit at all and it's hard to see what we're trying to achieve bar individual moments, countering and the Shaw overlap. I don't see it as a case that the players are just not being found or given the ball in positions where they can then create for others.
As a base to stop other teams passing through us in the middle, then I think it's a decent pairing. But, for us to control games and to kickstart attacks from the middle, it's a very lacklustre pairing for that. It doesn't matter who is at the top of the pitch in this case because we can't work the ball from defence to midfield and then to attack with these two in the middle. We're too reliant on getting the ball into wide positions and starting attacks from there.

I like both Fred and McTominay, but we need to move up a level if we're going to convert games like today into wins. We just did not create enough quality chances and especially starting from this midfield position. It's meant to be our engine room and our base of attack, but the passing just isn't good enough. As much as I like Fred, he's far, far too limited for what we need going forward. Or, he seriously has to work on his flaws to improve that side of his game. He doesn't contribute enough during attacks or doesn't get things moving. He has other great attributes, in the sense that he will work hard and will run his absolute heart out, but we need that extra quality now from one of these two. McTominay at least has shown a willingness to go forward and get on the end of things, or at least take shots in shooting positions. Not today, mind. And that cross at the end was tragic.

The attack most definitely needs work and I don't think there are many areas of our team which I think are settled or complete. Some areas are slightly better than others. Ish. Maybe.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not sure how many games we have lost cause of midfield but can think of a few of attack or defence.
Both the attack and defence will be better with a better midfield.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not in these games it seems.
I think that’s partly because the midfield is failing at its fundamental job (including himself).

Our midfield struggles to keep the ball, struggles to keep it at any good tempo, and as a result, struggles to release full backs and forwards into meaningful space often enough, or importantly - move opposition about.

Some people say ‘we aren’t a possession team’ as if it’s okay to be poor in possession. We don’t have to waste time on the ball, we can move it about one-touch if we must, but it takes high quality to do that at speed and going in the right direction. We lack that.