Our best young player?

dev1l

it's not easy choosing between de gea, smalling and jones but i would opt for the latter despite recent form.
Re: the twins, i was much more bullish about them up to a year ago. However it seems that they did stop improving and are still prone to silly mistakes.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Six months later, just wondering has anyones opinion changed.

Before, Phil Jones had over 30 picks with Smalling half as many. Welbeck and De Gea had less than half a dozen each but now i'd say they'd both get a lot of peoples vote.
Judging by the ridiculous criticism Jones has been getting I think a lot of people's opinion will have changed. When he starts playing well again it will inevitably change back though and he'll be 'the next Duncan Edwards' again :rolleyes:.

Name Changed

weso26
De Gea for me. I think he will end up one of the best in the world. Once he gets more experience and bulks up a little, he will be phenomenal. And his English must be improving all the time. He will be class.

Smalling will be top class, not what I expected when we signed him. I don't think Jones is as good as I originally thought.

KanieKaned

De Gea for me. I think he will end up one of the best in the world. Once he gets more experience and bulks up a little, he will be phenomenal. And his English must be improving all the time. He will be class.

Smalling will be top class, not what I expected when we signed him. I don't think Jones is as good as I originally thought.
I think next season Jones will be restinkulous for us. Hes played an awful lot of games this year. He looks a tad tired to me

Zen

For a young player Jones has been shifted around far too much.....he started to go off a bit when he was basically playing a different position each game. It's hard to move position like that when you've got years behind you, doing it straight off the bat is odd, but he's done well in 3 positions he's played tbf.

But Smalling is my favourite talent. Incredibly assured, then Jones/De Gea, then Rafael.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think next season Jones will be restinkulous for us. Hes played an awful lot of games this year. He looks a tad tired to me
Definately, he's played 20 of our 28 league games, despite being injured for a few weeks, which is a lot for 19 year old who isn't fully developed yet. He tends to run a ridiculous amount when he plays as well, so it must be taking a toll on his fitness.

Will Absolute

Question: Anyone notice anything odd about the players mentioned in this thread?

Clue:

Forwards: Welbeck.

Wingers: None

Central Midfielders: Cleverley

Defenders: Smalling, Rafael, Fabio, Evans, Jones, De Gea.

If Pogba stays it changes things a little.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Imo, after Morrison, he's been the best player for the reserves this season (more consistent and productive than Pogba). I've been a little puzzled that Fergie has given him no recognition.
Don't think that's true, i'm sure he was involved in the first team squad against Spurs last week.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I should imagine it's because the defence was the most important part of the team when we won the double, and because Ferguson himself has often said that everything is built from that foundation.

He probably recognised that we'd need to start replacing them a fair bit in advance, so that the next crop could be gradually assimilated into the first team line up. This is happening right now, in fact, and it's been made possible by making said youngsters integral squad players, ready to step up for key, injured starters.

He's so fecking clever, Ferguson. It's been an absolute masterclass in management watching him build another defence for the future. They're good enough despite their age to get games and get accustomed to playing in the first team, yet they're not old enough to expect to play week in, week out, making squad management in defence a lot easier. The defence is absolutely sorted for years now due to the experience the aforementioned youngsters have already got, though the individuals themselves also deserve a lot of credit. They are all amazingly talented, not to mention mentally strong. I must admit, after being very unsure of Evans after his amazing loan spell at Sunderland and first full season here, he can be very proud of how he's bounced back.

I'm still not sure what will happen with Jones, mind. Evans is too good to drop currently, and Rafael looks the superior and more consistent right back. It may rest on the fitness and progress of Fabio, funnily enough. If Fabio is fit, and the rest of the up and coming defenders progress as expected, then it'll be difficult for Jones. If Fabio stalls due to injury, I wouldn't be suprised to see this in the future:

Rafael Smalling Jones Evans

...just to somehow fit all three centre halves in. Evans has excelled at left back before, and is looking more and more comfortable on the ball these days.

Going a bit off-topic, but it's worth thinking about.

Baxter

Don't think that's true, i'm sure he was involved in the first team squad against Spurs last week.
He wasn't in the squad if I remember right, but he was on the bench with the other first team lads. He has traveled with the first team and I like you I don't believe Fergie has been ignoring. He has come back from a terrible run of injuries and a run of reserve games until the end of the season will be good for him. After that, hopefully he is involved in the pre-season tour and stakes a claim for a first team place. I completely believe he is good enough to do so, keeping clear of injury will be the biggest challenge for him

Cina

Smalling is god. Worlds best defender in a few years. I can see him reaching the height of Rio in 07/08.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Welbeck is just pure class. If he can work on his finishing and final product he will be a world beater. Welbeck.
yes, he has made huge strides this season .... but not our YPOTY, needed to have scored more goals to achieve that status. Lets see what happens in this final 10 or so games but its between Smalling and DdG for me.

Jones has been world class on occasion, but can still be abit uncultured and inconsistent. But then he is 1 or 2 years younger than DdG and Smalling.

Jones will win PL Young player of the year next season, of that I have no doubt.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I would say that De Gea and Smalling have the potential to be the best in the world in their position.

Cina

yes, he has made huge strides this season .... but not our YPOTY, needed to have scored more goals to achieve that status. Lets see what happens in this final 10 or so games but its between Smalling and DdG for me.

Jones has been world class on occasion, but can still be abit uncultured and inconsistent. But then he is 1 or 2 years younger than DdG and Smalling.

Jones will win PL Young player of the year next season, of that I have no doubt.
You use the term world class far too loosely.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You use the term world class far too loosely.
Jones has shown moments of 'world class' ability this season, albeit for 20 min stretches ..... thats why even esteemed observers of the games like Sir Bobby Charlton have liked him to Duncan Edwards FFS!

Yes, I would say he has shown glimpses of world class capability for us this season.

I stand by my assessment.

Cina

There's a difference between playing at a 'world class' (I hate this term) level and showing glimpses of being able to play at that level in the future. Neither Anderson or Jones have done the former.", but they've both shown the latter at times.