Our Defence - Has it actually been fixed?

Gythio

Right now we can only work with what we have. Main question is why the feck was Bailly benched for Lindelöf after five top, game-winning performances in a row? Simply unacceptable management.

mikel

Has the defense been fixed? There has to be an attempt to fix it first.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Per pound spent, is there a worse defensive partnership in Europe?

Machine Elements

Wait are you trying to claim getting rid of Rojo is a bad idea?
I'd have preferred Rojo to this pussyman named Lindelöf without even thinking twice. Also Smalling to that £80m carthorse. We're still shit at building from the back anyway. At least we would've been much more solid defensively, wouldn't be bullied in every game, wouldn't be at snail's pace etc. with Smalling - Rojo combo.

What was so perfect about getting rid of a player without any transfer fee seriously? "Getting deadwood" my arse. It's just a lame excuse that some fans use to give our clueless manager fake credits like it's been the case with nearly all the work he's done here. If the likes of Smalling, Rojo, Romero etc. were "deadwood", what shit players like Lindelöf are?

Chief123

Lindelof and Maguire will never bring you success as a partnership. Anyone who believes they will is really not understanding the game.

PoTMS

A Maguire and Lindelof pairing wouldn't look out of place at Hull City.

AFC NimbleThumb

I'd have preferred Rojo to this pussyman named Lindelöf without even thinking twice. Also Smalling to that £80m carthorse. We're still shit at building from the back anyway. At least we would've been much more solid defensively, wouldn't be bullied in every game, wouldn't be at snail's pace etc. with Smalling - Rojo combo.
Whilst a tad strong on language I concur with the sentiment.

Maguire has not been an upgrade on Smalling to a great degree, remove the fee & it’s still valid.

Whilst if Rojo were given as many opportunities as Lindelof I think he’d be pretty similar.

Our defence is still in need of improvement.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Maguire has been good today going forwards.

He's actually tried to make things happen.

Kag

Maguire is fine. He’s defending next to a pair of halfwits. One fanny beside him and one fanny behind him. I watch Lindelof and I just wish we’d kept Smalling, to be honest. He isn’t even particularly great on the ball either.

That defensive trio (De Gea, Lindelof, Maguire) is as bad as it’s been since Ferguson retired and it needs fixing as a matter of urgency. Like I say, though, I think Maguire is fine, but he needs some help as he’s currently defending that 18 yard box on his own.

Djemba-Djemba

What was so perfect about getting rid of a player without any transfer fee seriously? "Getting deadwood" my arse. It's just a lame excuse that some fans use to give our clueless manager fake credits like it's been the case with nearly all the work he's done here. If the likes of Smalling, Rojo, Romero etc. were "deadwood", what shit players like Lindelöf are?
Rojo was fecking shit.

So if Lindelof, not saying i'd be keeping him, but Rojo was crap.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The West Brom forward (as Hasselbaink says in the Sky studio) fancied his chances against Lindelof and wanted it more. Like @golden_blunder calls him, our CB in that situation was a complete fanny.

Eugenius

Not sure how anyone can watch that first half and still think it's Maguire who's the bigger problem of the CBs

city-puma

Maguire is just great but slow. Lindelof is helpless in aerial duel when playing physical and long ball side. Really frustrating situation. Bailly needs to take yoga sessions to get himself injury free.

kidbob

Ole knows it isn't though. He's working with what he has. All transfer talk seems to point towards the fact that we are looking at a new partner for Maguire in the summer. If only Bailly wan't made of paper then maybe we'd be better off for the rest of this season. The fact is that we need a new centre half and Ole knows this. Hopefully the owners don't screw him on this.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No. Lindelof is too weak, DDG refuse to leave the line, Maguire is as fast as an oil tanker, he offer no leadership, and has no football brain and AWB is limited.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Our defense will never be fixed as long as De Gea is our number 1. Lindelof is going to take the blame and rightfully so because he should be stronger, but everything De Gea did was wrong. His positioning to start is poor. Why is he on his line for a ball that is going to be sent into the box? He should be claiming that ball. Henderson would have. A keeper needs to control his 6 and not depend on defenders to win every single header...

devilish

Maguire is just great but slow. Lindelof is helpless in aerial duel when playing physical and long ball side. Really frustrating situation. Bailly needs to take yoga sessions to get himself injury free.
Is he?

Maguire must know that he's the only CB whose good in air. He should stay at the back and he should make sure to mark the main striker himself. That didn't happened. Shaw and Lindelof are being forced to engage in aerial duels that every man and his dog knows that they are going to lose.

Josep Dowling

CB pairings need to complement each other. Our big issue is Maguire and Lindelof have the same weakness of being slow. Lindelof is also weak on aerial battles. That’s why we should use Maguire with another defender. If only Bailly could stay fit, it would solve our defensive issues.

Stacks

Ole knows it isn't though. He's working with what he has. All transfer talk seems to point towards the fact that we are looking at a new partner for Maguire in the summer. If only Bailly wan't made of paper then maybe we'd be better off for the rest of this season. The fact is that we need a new centre half and Ole knows this. Hopefully the owners don't screw him on this.
They screwed each other over by agreeing to spend the bulk of our transfer kitty on a player who needs another WC CB for him to suffice. It was a joint decision

Robbie Boy

Maguire is nowhere near as good as some seem to think. He's a problem too. Not being worse than Lindelof is hardly glowing praise.

MasterCode

Maguire isn't good enough.

You'd expect him to be the final piece, not the other way round.

You're right been saying it for ages - we will not win anything with him in defence. He isn't even facing the Neymar's, Lewandowski's etc yet. Where we are trying to get to Maguire + Lindeloff will only hold us back.

Bobski

Teams playing against Utd can get so much from so little. WBA today fashioned 4 huge chances from a tiny amount of the ball and territory, this is not a new thing.

devilish

The defence is a mess. Our FBs can't cross, our CB lack pace, positioning and leadership and our GK struggles to leave the line. Lindelof is clearly not good enough same as Tuanzebe and Bailly. However you don't spend 80m on a CB only to have to spend another 80m on an adequate partner for him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm going on a limb and say it will never truly be fixed as longa as Maguire plays.

Lindelof gets slated for today, rightly so, but Maguire did nothing to help. He left Lindelof to deal with it, all he did was hide away. As a captain and "best defender" it's not good enough.

Bobski

I'm going on a limb and say it will never truly be fixed as longa as Maguire plays.

Lindelof gets slated for today, rightly so, but Maguire did nothing to help. He left Lindelof to deal with it, all he did was hide away. As a captain and "best defender" it's not good enough.
McTominay basically had to sit in front of Lindelof simply because Victor can not be trusted to win physical duels. I have my issues with Maguire but he can't do Lindelof's job as well as his own.

Smalling was also criticised along the same lines while partnering Lindelof, maybe just get rid of the guy who is the obvious target for the opposition and get someone who doesn't need a babysitter. Not as if he provides huge positives to offset his weak areas.

Redlyn

Shocking CBs. Never winning the league with those two Everton level CBs.

Guy Incognito

Maguire is an OK squad player but he will never elevate the performances of the defence.

The fact United are linked with Tyrone Mings in the press worries me.