Our game in hand v Burnley (to be played on Tuesday, 12 January)

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
It's still not decided when we'll play against Burnley, but do we even know when it could be possible?

I hate to look at the table with all those calculations, it's tiring, because a game in hand doesn't really mean three points (especially for Manchester United 2020/21).

meamth

It's still not decided when we'll play against Burnley, but do we even know when it could be possible?

I hate to look at the table with all those calculations, it's tiring, because a game in hand doesn't really mean three points (especially for Manchester United 2020/21).
Probably at the near end of the season where fixtures are less congested

Mcking

I was thinking it was going to be in during the week when both teams where supposed to be taking a break. i.e. Jan 12, the designated GW18, but the fixtures has been announced, and it wasn't included.

If we get knocked out in the Carabao cup against Everton, they might also fix it between GW17 and the FA Cup third round, i.e. Jan 5, but not sure they will have the time for that.

Jan 5 is the earliest we could play it as it stands, but if we don't get knocked out against Everton, then they might have to make the Jan 12 move after all. If it's not played in one of the two gameweeks, then they might have to wait till March.

So the earliest options:

JANUARY 5 - Only if Everton beat us in the Carabao cup.

JANUARY 12 - Good time to play it early on paper.

MARCH 2 - The only free mid-week for a while, but not sure they should wait that long because you never know if another game might need to be postponed.

The other options are Jan 23, Feb 9, March 9, March 16, March 20 and so on, but that would require an early exit from the FA Cup or Europa League. Still think Jan 12 is the best bet.

Chief123

Just read it’s been rearranged for January 12th now. So we’ll be level on games going into the Liverpool game on the 17th. Good news.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-utd-burnley-date-confirmed-19545046

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A Tuesday - Sunday schedule isn't that bad.

Just need to find a way of winning this and Villa. Odds are we won't but we'd be in a great position if we did.

ZupZup

That’s still plenty of rest before the Liverpool game. Playing on Tuesday and then Sunday is no issue at all.

Judas

Open to offers
Liverpool seem to do better with momentum, I don't think rest actually suits them all that much.

Still with the amount of fans who have basically counted this as a game already won it's a big one to get 3 points in before the game at Anfield.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Oh do feck off who decided to rob us of our 1 week off? Cnuts

Silverman

If we asked for it then Solskjaer will be on board so I've no complaints.
We can rest players in the FA cup against Watford the weekend before it.

Now to beat Villa and Burnley and leave us in a great position against that lot.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It makes good sense for us to play this game in hand as soon as possible.
Otherwise we're constantly trying to play catch up and could be stretched later on.

As it stands we have all bar Phil Jones out - so basically a full cast.

We can rest a lot of players in the FA cup game just before and mix it up for the Burnley game too.

bsCallout

What are you on about? It makes perfect sense to play this game ASAP and not constantly be behind in games.
If we were playing anyone other than Liverpool straight after who now have more rest. That does not make sense.

Jonno

Joking apart, they play Southampton away next & they're awful away from home.

We could be top of the league by the time we go to Anfield.

Let that sink in.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Joking apart, they play Southampton away next & they're awful away from home.

We could be top of the league by the time we go to Anfield.

Let that sink in.
Yep playing that game in hand could be massive psychologically if we go into the game above them.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What are you on about? It makes perfect sense to play this game ASAP and not constantly be behind in games.
You're wasting your time. Seems like some people first instinct is to moan. They probably don't even bother looking at how far the dates between that game and the Liverpool game is, they just heard a game added before the Liverpool one and proceeded to moan.

5 days is plenty enough time rest before the Liverpool game. There is nothing to complain about.

stu_1992

Not bad timing tbh. Okay yes a full week's rest before would be even more ideal but it's certainly not the end of the world. Can't imagine the strongest team will play against Watford. I'm looking forward to being caught up on games.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Citys game in hand v Villa is the next night on the Wednesday

Both games on Sky

Okey

I'm happy with this. Momentum is very important. They have 9 days rest before they play us, while we play 2 games in that time and still get 5 days rest before Anfield. That's still the most rest we'd have had between games all season. Keeps us sharp in my opinion. Could catch them out rusty.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Would personally have saved it for longer as we are better chasers than pacesetters. On the flip side it's better to go into the dippers game with some momentum.

Pace Abuser

Liverpool haven ALWAYS been distrupted by too much rest. I really hope they have ages off before the 17th. It will work to our advantage.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Would personally have saved it for longer as we are better chasers than pacesetters. On the flip side it's better to go into the dippers game with some momentum.
We haven't been pacesetters in years. Maybe we're deadly at it.

bsCallout

You're wasting your time. Seems like some people first instinct is to moan. They probably don't even bother looking at how far the dates between that game and the Liverpool game is, they just heard a game added before the Liverpool one and proceeded to moan.

5 days is plenty enough time rest before the Liverpool game. There is nothing to complain about.
Not at all . . It is based on the fact that we've had a season of little rest between ganes and to then gift our toughest opponent extra rest in that schedule, seems a bit of a strange decision.

There is a difference between complaining and questioning the decision.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's an advantage to us if we win it. Especially if we beat Villa as well. It puts pressure on Liverpool to win just to have any kind of gap between us and them. Otherwise we go into the game with the pressure on us to get a result to stay in touch with them.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes.
The article doesn’t say anything about us asking for it, the title is just click-baited there. There is no way we asked for it, why would PL allow us to do that? Burnley has right to have their voice as well if that’s the case.

Judas

Open to offers
The article doesn’t say anything about us asking for it, the title is just click-baited there. There is no way we asked for it, why would PL allow us to do that? Burnley has right to have their voice as well if that’s the case.
You are literally allowed to do that. Obviously Burnley would need to agree too. We did ask for it, people need to accept it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You are literally allowed to do that. Obviously Burnley would need to agree too. We did ask for it, people need to accept it.
First time I heard a club is allowed to do that. If that’s the case Burnley could easily refuse it if they are smart and choose the better date that gives us more disadvantage and something that suits them more.