Our high defensive line in recent games

Dante

Average bang
It could be revolutionary for our team.

It's because of Henderson instead of DDG, isn't it? The whole team in front of him seems to be benefiting.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It might well be - knowing Henderson is more likely to sweep might be allowing the defence to be braver.

It does make a huge difference. If we can continue practising how to press we will control games a lot more. More goals less condeded.

I thought we managed it really well against city today, obviously at times ended up deep but that wasn’t really by design.

city-puma

At least it seems Henderson is able to position himself in right position and move swiftly. This new strategy is what we should start to use more. It’s all about a compact shape, moving up and down together.

AgentSmith

Well it was most noticeable against Chelsea where De Gea played so I don’t know if it’s accurate to say it’s primarily down to Henderson. He’s definitely more vocal and authoritative than De Gea though so it probably helps.

It’s a refreshing change regardless of the origin. A proactive and aggressive defence is much more comfortable to watch than one that sits deep and invites pressure.

tomaldinho1

100% because of Henderson. Worth noting we didn’t do it all game and I think City worked us out after about 20mins so we dropped off but it makes us so much better defensively. Pep looked like he’d learned his lesson from the 0-0 earlier this season but I guess he had a buffer to go and try to win today, either way he played right into our hands and we looked pretty comfortable.

arnie_ni

Who was keeper against Chelsea?
100% because of Henderson. Worth noting we didn’t do it all game and I think City worked us out after about 20mins so we dropped off but it makes us so much better defensively. Pep looked like he’d learned his lesson from the 0-0 earlier this season but I guess he had a buffer to go and try to win today, either way he played right into our hands and we looked pretty comfortable.

Diarm11

I think it's more of a change of Philosophy than down to individuals. We also played a high line and pressed high against Chelsea with De Gea in goal.

tomaldinho1

You’re falling into the trap of thinking a high line versus Giroud is the same as the one today. As soon as Giroud went off we went deeeeep.

Much braver to do today.

Trophy Room

Been screaming out for this. Not sure why it has taken this long to implement. Perhaps we didn't have the goalkeeper for it. De Gea doesn't seem naturally suited to this.

arnie_ni

You’re falling into the trap of thinking a high line versus Giroud is the same as the one today. As soon as Giroud went off we went deeeeep.

Much braver to do today.
We dropped in and out both games.

Rossa

Probably is a design of many parts. Henderson is important as he comes off his line much more than DDG. But City doesn’t have much speed to punish in behind. Mahrez is easily outpaced by Shaw. AWB at least keeps up with Sterling, and Jesus is only slightly faster than our CBs. It was a well calculated tactic. Against a quicker attack, it may not work.

Eugenius

Very odd to make this into a bash DDG thread. If anything I'd say it was Dan James who is the key given he's covering the most ground in the team and leads the press with Bruno.

tomaldinho1

So I'm wondering how you jumped to gk, rather than just pure tactical?
I’m saying Henderson is 100% the reason we could play a high line in this game. Versus Chelsea it’s fine when Giroud is their 9, we’ve also been pretty high against weaker teams but that’s the first ‘big’ game where there’s a pacey CF and a team of equal/better players that I can remember us going that high. I think if DDG played that we’d have gone back 5 like against PSG.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Said this in the match day thread as it seemed noticeable.

Meant that if we come under pressure, it's 30 yards away from goal rather than inside our penalty area. Also meant that easier for the defenders to find a teammate, as they're closer.

Related (but not the specific thread topic) was that instead of stopping and standing still with the ball (and passing it back)... when pressed, defenders ran a few yards forward with it, made a slight dummy or turned... all creating a yard or two of space and options.

It's only a slight change (in line and positive attitude with the ball), but made a huge difference.

Are we playing a deliberate higher line to stop them camping around our 18 yard line?

Foxbatt

It's also because Martial was holding the ball well, the defense has time to move up too. City didn't have much pace either.

arnie_ni

I’m saying Henderson is 100% the reason we could play a high line in this game. Versus Chelsea it’s fine when Giroud is their 9, we’ve also been pretty high against weaker teams but that’s the first ‘big’ game where there’s a pacey CF and a team of equal/better players that I can remember us going that high. I think if DDG played that we’d have gone back 5 like against PSG.
I duno.

You can't counter attack that well if your packed around your own box.

I think it was tactical and would have happened regardless.

We'll never know

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's also because Martial was holding the ball well, the defense has time to move up too. City didn't have much pace either.
They had the pace — Sterling and Jesus are quick forwards — it’s just a lack of movement from them to actually cause real threats. We stifled them very well.

tomaldinho1

I duno.

You can't counter attack that well if your packed around your own box.

I think it was tactical and would have happened regardless.

We'll never know
That’s when it’s easiest to counter attack though. Sit deep, invite them on and then when it breaks you have players like Rashford,James,Martial who will get up the pitch on the counter. You basically want to create as much space as possible behind the opposition.

We started and we’re actually competing for the midfield (which is very unlike us in these games) and then dropped off when they started finding a way through in my opinion.

Not trying to bash DDG but I think his two weaknesses (sweeping and command of his area) are areas Henderson seems good at and he played well and, I feel, makes the high line a slightly less risky option.

croadyman

Yeah we do seem more assured playing the high line when Deano is in goal

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t want to overstate the importance of Henderson but it can’t be a coincidence that last season Sheffield United reached the heady heights of 5th place with marauding, overlapping centre backs and a shit tonne of pressing, yet without him they’ve got more leaks than a welsh veg stall.

Basically he’s the best goalkeeper ever.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As others have said, we've seen signs of it with De Gea too so it's not just because of Henderson (even if he is better at it).

It's also interesting that sweeping (unlike dealing with crosses) is one area De Gea has improved this season after reportedly working on that aspect of his game over the summer.

Perhaps he was told that this was an area he had to improve as we were looking to move in this direction.

criticalanalysis

We've always been quite good at pressing against teams who like to have the ball and play proactive possession/attacking football. It's been 'easy' for us to do because we're comfortable in a defensive line up and have very athletic/physical players who put in a shift.

Our main issue is counter pressing and against teams that sit off. We're not that great at picking up 2nd balls and coordinated presses to win the ball back when it's not a 'big' game. So many of our disjointed attacking issues can be down played or improved if we knew how to press and create breaks in transition. Klopp's Liverpool team (and midfield) are/were (?) fantastic at this.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I imagine we would do this more if we had a CB with pace. It will only take a moment in a game and the defence will lose confidence then drop back, Gary Neville has highlighted it several times recently. Didn’t we play a high line with Tuanzebe at PSG?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also worth noting that as per the guy I posted above Henderson isn't a particularly outstanding sweeper either (at least based on his season at Sheffield United).

The average PL keeper prevents 0.70 chances per 90min sweeping and Henderson prevented 0.72. So while better than De Gea, he was pretty much exactly average for the league as a whole.

Grande

We actually played like that for parts of the games against PSG, both home and away. It tends to be forgotten as other narratives are thicker.

I agree a confident Henderson is more suited to this approach than a waning De Gea. Still, neither the presence of them, Giroud, MBappe/Neymar or Jesus himself, is going to be as big a difference as the multiplication of the two factors 1) How good are we to press high collectively and 2) for how long do all the players have both stamina and guts to follow it up.

Once one player is off the position or pace, the line falls naturally bacwards and neither is it advisable to press high if you leave spaces inbetween. It’s like going to the net in tennis. If one of those factors are missing, you’ll get butchered.

We are a teammin development, and our high press and high line has gone from plan b to plan a, and we’re getting better at it. Pulling it off for 30 mins against PSG was impressive enough given were we were under Mourinho in this regard, First half vs revived Chelsea was very good, but the 2x10 mins vs City in form is probably the best so far. Luckily we were rewarded as well.

Dante

Average bang
Also worth noting that as per the guy I posted above Henderson isn't a particularly outstanding sweeper either (at least based on his season at Sheffield United).

The average PL keeper prevents 0.70 chances per 90min sweeping and Henderson prevented 0.72. So while better than De Gea, he was pretty much exactly average for the league as a whole.
You're right, Henderson's not exactly a sweeper keeper like Neuer. But what he does is defend his entire box. That still makes a massive difference.

De Gea tends to stand on his goal-line and only defend on his goal-line. If the defenders feel comfortable leaving a 20 yard gap to the 'keeper, this means our backline is obviously only going to be 20 yards up the pitch.

Because Henderson defends right up to the edge of the box, the same 20 yard gap the defenders are willing to leave means that our backline will be 38 yards up the pitch.

That's not a small change. When the backline play higher up it reduces the distance between defence and midfield, and midfield and attack.

I think the focus on the lack of pace of Maguire and Lindelof is often overstated. They rarely get outpaced in practice. It's a theoretical worry based on how important speed is in FIFA. Team shape is far more important and the last few weeks have been a huge improvement from us on that front.

Last edited:

cyril C

Can't believe some of the comment on this post. So people think Henderson was the main reason for our win? Henderson was the keeper against Palace as well, so where was his inspiration? his leadership, his sweeper style that allow us to keep a high line?

As far as I can see, the only explanation was that we have been saving our energy for the whole month, in particular at the Palace game, that we have the energy to run the extra 10%, even at the expense of an empty tank at Milan, in order to win this game. Meanwhile City was saving the Lady Luck for the other games, since they can afford to lose a few games.

Lentwood

It’s so easy to spot the posters who have never played the game to any sort of half-useful level!

There are a number of factors involved for a team to be able to successfully play a high-line

1) The press from the forwards and the midfield has to be spot on. A Premier League standard player, given a yard of space, can put the ball on a sixpence. If your CBs are on the halfway line and there’s no pressure on the ball, you’re asking for serious trouble!

2) The CBs also need to be aggressive and proactive. Again, Premier League standard players are so good that if you allow a forward player to drop-off you as a CB, pick the ball up and turn against a high-line you’re in big trouble. This means that the CB has to be prepared to go into uncomfortable areas with the opposition forwards and trust that their teammates will cover them. This is partly why teams favour split forwards or inside/wide forwards against a high-press - because it makes the attackers difficult to pick up ans allows them to make diagonal runs in behind (as opposed to straight runs which are very hard to time and hard to pick out for the passer)

3) Contrary to popular opinion, you don’t need two fast CBs. This is a false comfort because let me tell you, if Jamie Vardy or Marcus Rashford or Son or Gareth Bale get a run on a CB, that CB is toast, whoever they are. The build of a CB compared to a forward added to the fact the forward has the momentum advantage (i.e. they are running onto the ball, not turning and chasing) means that the CB has virtually no chance in a foot race if the pass is right. Far more important than just having quick CBs is getting the press right and getting the line right...i.e. knowing when to squeeze and when to drop-off

4) You absolutely need a GK who will cover the space in behind. The opposition will look to turn your defenders and knock balls over the top but it your line is right and the press is right, it should be almost impossible to land a straight pass on a modern pitch between the CBs and the GK, if you have got your positioning right. When I say “modern pitch”, what I mean is that the ball will skid off the surface of the pitch naturally, because they are so slick and pristine. This means that successful passes in-behind are likely to have to be angled, and this makes it harder for the opposition to work the right opportunity to hit the right pass (see Villa vs Liverpool for an example of how to execute it well)

5) The CBs have to be really good and really brave! Never underestimate the skill required to play high. Every CB up and down the country from Sunday League to Premier League would LOVE to sit and defend their own penalty box for 90-mins if their manager would allow it. Sure, life would be harder for their teammates but for the defenders, it would be a dream. No space in-behind, everything happening in-front of them, lots of bodies between opponents and the goal...even an average clogger can look good in this set-up. To play high requires a totally different skillset, including immense communication, concentration, teamwork and aggression. It’s one of the main reason people bemoan the idea that defenders are getting worse, which is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. It’s purely that the best CBs now play virtually on the halfway line, which would have been considered crazy in the Nineties/Noughties.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The high line in the Chelsea game was much easier to adapt as they started Giroud, Mount and Ziyech as the front three. I think Ole saw the benefit of it and got more adventurous in the City game.

Eugenius

Can't believe some of the comment on this post. So people think Henderson was the main reason for our win? Henderson was the keeper against Palace as well, so where was his inspiration? his leadership, his sweeper style that allow us to keep a high line?

As far as I can see, the only explanation was that we have been saving our energy for the whole month, in particular at the Palace game, that we have the energy to run the extra 10%, even at the expense of an empty tank at Milan, in order to win this game. Meanwhile City was saving the Lady Luck for the other games, since they can afford to lose a few games.
Blaming DDG for everything is literally the most annoying fad on the caf. Especially when we played DDG against Chelsea and played in the exact same way as vs City.

Lewnited

I was surprised and pleased to see us adopt a higher line against City! I think it's something we've been working towards for the whole season, but we've still been guilty of dropping off as soon as any pressure mounts.

Against City we stuck with it to a reasonable degree and were able to force them in to far more turnovers than usual with the combination of our high line and getting the early goal. I'll also echo what a few others have said; I don't think it has anything to do with Henderson, though I am enjoying his form at the moment.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Much braver to do today.
It doesn't necessarily change your point too much, but we dropped deep as soon as the second half started against Chelsea, long before Giroud was replaced.

Similarly in this game against City we started both halves pressing up high but got pushed back into a deeper position in the final 15-20 minutes of each half.

tomaldinho1

It doesn't necessarily change your point too much, but we dropped deep as soon as the second half started against Chelsea, long before Giroud was replaced.

Similarly in this game against City we started both halves pressing up high but got pushed back into a deeper position in the final 15-20 minutes of each half.
Yep although my point, as might not have been clear from my first post, was it was much braver to do against City then Chelsea. I don't rate Jesus that highly but he's definitely more mobile than Giroud! I do think Henderson allows the higher line whereas DDG is less naturally inclined to sweep, it also helps we play a quite defensive/combative setup with McFred which makes it much harder to pass through us and our RB is a dead end for attackers, Shaw is in form - we're a very capable team defensively now.