Our lack of physicality

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So that’s last week and now this game tonight where our lack of power and physicality, particularly in midfield, really stood out. It does literally look like men vs boys at times. We just flounder around while the opposition eases us off the ball or just bulldozer their way through the middle.

The question is, is this something that can be fixed? It’s quite alarming.

48 hours

So that’s last week and now this game tonight where our lack of power and physicality, particularly in midfield, really stood out. It does literally look like men vs boys at times. We just flounder around while the opposition eases us off the ball or just bulldozer their way through the middle.

The question is, is this something that can be fixed? It’s quite alarming.
Not without new players. Everyone of our players seemingly can be easily bullied by the opposition

Pughnichi

Agree absolutely. Two games now where we’ve been bullied at times by a stronger team.

More desire and commitment as well from wolves and now Tottenham looked streets ahead as well

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Weakest team physically in the league. Was obvious last season so I don't know why it hasn't been addressed.

Acquire Me

Agree. We really lack physicality. We also lack fighting spirit. They look like fecking losers out there at 1-0. Pathetic.

avgp_1

Yep we are probably the worst in the league at it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
As per usual, United are behind the times

Idxomer

I was gonna make this thread.

Who are the players with good athleticism in this team?

AWB, Varane and then Shaw and Rashford when they feel like it. There's also McTominay but he never uses it in playing football.

That's really poor for a team at the top level.

Abraxas

This was quite apparent today when you see Bissouma looking a colossus. Onana #2 is suddenly looking pretty appealing.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
And the thing is, I'm not necessarily talking about needing a really big player (in terms of physique). We need someone who can drive and carry the ball on. Obviously, from a defensive POV, I think we could benefit from a physically bigger player, but we just don't have any fecking drive.

Baxquux

But fans are turning their nose up at Onana.
Better players in terms of passing with similar levels of physicality for what Everton would charge us. Almost at the level where you might as well just play McT otherwise, and I don't think McTominay should be near this squad.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Agree absolutely. Two games now where we’ve been bullied at times by a stronger team.

More desire and commitment as well from wolves and now Tottenham looked streets ahead as well
Both teams looked so much fitter. I know people are bringing up the traveling we did in pre-season, but we're not the only team to have done it. Also, this was a concern last season too. So meek in the midfield.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We do seem to be two or three steps behind most teams.
United are, from the training ground, to how to deal with transfers, to implementing an identity, to a crumbling stadium.

Then off the pitch, United took an age to get into the social media side and also was behind other clubs in having a women’s team.

The whole club is stuck in the past so I’m not surprised United haven’t cottoned on the fact the EPL has 20 teams who can run all day long and are physically in top condition. But let’s sign a slow player like Amrabat.. that’ll solve it :lol:

Malone_Post

We keep spending huge money on players that either aren’t they physical or athletic in the first place (Mount, Antony, Martinez) or are physically past their best (Casimero, Eriksen)

Horrific squad building.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Maybe just me but I find the lack of mentality more disturbing
Yeah. There were so many instances of Spurs players literally just walking past ours without even being challenged. Just depressing.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Maybe just me but I find the lack of mentality more disturbing
That is actually another theme that is troubling, yeah. Obviously, some really big defeats last season, which weren't coincidences. Our heads can drop very easily. Seems to be ingrained into the team and the club.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To complete the thread title …. ‘Is not even balanced by superior technicality’.

Usually when top teams assemble a team of small, weak players - it is because they have decided to go down a road of focusing on keeping the ball on the ground and outplaying teams. We are weak, but we also cannot pass the fecking football.

Orange Tree

Rangnick already pointed this out. He is good at analyzing the team, but not good at getting people onboard. Hence he got binned.

Thiagoal

Any team that is ‘up for it’ and get in our faces has a really good chance of beating us! We are very weak physically and mentally it seems!

BarstoolProphet

We keep spending huge money on players that either aren’t they physical or athletic in the first place (Mount, Antony, Martinez) or are physically past their best (Casimero, Eriksen)

Horrific squad building.
This. It's utterly baffling. And it makes even Casemiro look bad now.

Based Adnan

We lack physicality and don't have the technical ability to back it up

A recipe for disaster, out battled and out played

L1nk

We've scouted him, now buy Khephren Thuram please. He's the kind of player we need in that middle.

CloneMC16

Yup. It's not good. The best teams have athletic and physical players in midfield. We don't.

If you don't have physicality, you absolutely must be elite on a technical level. We aren't.

Ceteris

Yes we lack physicality but anyone else realise there's very little fight in this team?

What's Rashford got all those chiseled body for? He won't run into the channels or make himself available for the ball

When we lose the ball the intensity or care running back is shocking.

At one point City didn't have an athletic midfield but they had intensity in effort and also the technical ability on the ball.

We need the water carriers in the team for the piano players to make the tune.

I remember under Fergie at some point we attacked with 4 players and the rest made it easy for the 4 to attack.

We moan about the likes of Fred, but we need them in a squad

KjaAnd

EtH has completely underestimated the importance of athleticism in the Prem. Who in our team is a physical specimen? Rashy and Wan-Bissaka? That’s simply not going to cut it.

stolen from ivor

I know a lot dont rate Mctom but I always think we miss his physicality when he doesnt play.We have been getting bullied in midfield for ages,thats why I dont understand signing Mount he is bang average and the wrong profile of player we needed.
We should of been signing a Caceido,Lavia type.We lack physicality and athleticism throughout the squad.

OverratedOpinion

Just like every player he has his flaws but, shrugging off players and moving the ball up the pitch 30 meters by running with it is a huge strength.
I don't disagree. There is a lot about McTominay that would have been hugely helpful in the past 2 games. He isn't the answer but if we have to be pragmatic for a little while then we will have to accept it.

stolen from ivor

EtH has completely underestimated the importance of athleticism in the Prem. Who in our team is a physical specimen? Rashy and Wan-Bissaka? That’s simply not going to cut it.
Rashy is weak as a kitten,can't hold off any physical challenge,and always gets the ball taken off him.The ball never sticks with him.

Idxomer

I don't disagree. There is a lot about McTominay that would have been hugely helpful in the past 2 games. He isn't the answer but if we have to be pragmatic for a little while then we will have to accept it.
Ten Hag has used him the last few times with Casemiro around in this weird Mount/VDB role. If he plays back alongside Casemiro, it could work but it's a very short-term solution. It also tells us that Ten Hag's squad building is kind of shit.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Watching City Newcastle. We'll get absolutely bullied by these two this season.

OL29

It’s been obvious that we’ve been crying out for physicality which is why it concerns me to see ETH still chasing players like Pavard. I think he’s massively underestimated this element of the premier league.