Our league drought | 6 years and counting

Shark

@NotShark
We’ve fecked up too many summer windows and made three and possibly counting horrible managerial signings, all bringing with them significantly different ideas, making our squad a total mismatch. The worrying thing is we haven’t even begun repairing the damage, yes Mourinho is gone but we’ve heard nothing of changes off the pitch. Woodward and whoever else is making club sinking decisions still remain. No DOF has been appointed, and I’d bet my balls another major feck up awaits us this summer. No idea where the next title comes from but it’s nowhere close, I know that.

ship50

Salah isn't going anywhere and I don't think Liverpool are letting Mane go for anything less that £100m. You claim that United and Chelsea will rebuild and be challenging for the league again in a year or two. Haven't United been rebuilding for about 5 years now and gotten nowhere near? What makes you think that will change over the next 12-24 months?

The problem United are going to face this summer is the fact that Real, Bayern, Juve, and City are all going to be in the market for top quality players. All those clubs can at the very least match the wages United can put on the table but they can all offer a very high likelihood of trophies.

At this moment in time (not saying United aren't a great club) they aren't anywhere near those clubs in terms of attractiveness to top players. Why would any top professional worth their salt want to be getting dragged to the arse end of Ukraine on a Thursday when they could go elsewhere?

The manager at the moment is also an issue. I think any high level professional looking for a change is going to look at United and see a rookie manager who, despite being an incredible player, has achieved a couple of titles in a farmers league and relegated the first PL club he managed. Why choose Ole when you could go for Pep, Zidane, Klopp or Allegri?

Think about the team. If Pogba goes (which I see as likely) and there's a need for a new CM. Is a top level player going to look at the squad and think "Great, can't wait to get stuck in with McTominay and Lingard, brilliant" or are they going to look elsewhere to play with other top level talents?

United are, and probably always will be an elite club off the field, they aren't elite on it though. Once you've lost that elite status on the pitch it's so difficult to get it back. Look at Liverpool, they're still one of the biggest clubs on the planet but they've won feck all for the best part of 15 years now other than a couple of tin pots and no league for 30! Same with Arsenal, always there and there about but won jack shit and don't look remotely close to challenging.

I think there's a rude awakening coming for a lot of fans who perhaps don't see how far the rot goes at this club. If things start changing and the right decisions start being made immediately, then United can probably claw it back in 5 years. Otherwise, there's a lot more disappointment and heartbreak to come.
Well said. Agree totally with your points. Some of us still think that top players would come to us just because of the history of the club. They won't. We may have the money to spend but it would be extremely difficult to attract big names now. Every single decision from now on should be right with no room for errors.

OrangeRed

We wont ever win the league when the owners mindset of the club is achieving top 4 and sucking money out of the club.

UpWithRivers

A lot of fans are deluded. They still think we are a top team just one more transfer window. Just give player a,b,c,d,e etc one more season. We are basically Liverpool.
We have lost a decade at least only if Ole produces a miracle and starts sorting this sht fest straight away. But probably he won't- let's be honest. Then it will all start again with a different manager. 20 years is my guess. You have to also account for the fact City will win most of the time. Then Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal will have thier glory at some point.

Jibbs

We are a Vidic and a Ferdinand away from seriously becoming title chellengers again. In today's market, it may mean spending somewhere around 150 to 200 millions on back two. Yes Lindelof could do the job but he is still not up there. As Keane said, we need to get our back four sorted. If we had Koulibaly or Alderwierald this season, our results would have been much better. We need to start from the back and get it sorted once and for all.

But we need to sign defenders not older than 25/26 so that they can stay with the team and perform at their very best for at least 4,5 seasons.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
A lot of fans are deluded. They still think we are a top team just one more transfer window. Just give player a,b,c,d,e etc one more season. We are basically Liverpool.
We have lost a decade at least only if Ole produces a miracle and starts sorting this sht fest straight away. But probably he won't- let's be honest. Then it will all start again with a different manager. 20 years is my guess. You have to also account for the fact City will win most of the time. Then Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal will have thier glory at some point.
it's very possible to become a liverpool... if you keep spending 500 million but finishing 6th all the time... finishing outside the top 4 all the time. The transfer money slowly decreases with each year

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
I think we'll go 10 years without a title before any meaningful change happens at the top of the club. You can't oversee a decade of failure and maintain positions of influence.

But with the right recruitment and the right backing we can be challenging in a couple of seasons, but that recruitment has to today while the players we're looking at are still 14/15.

crossy1686

career ending
it's very possible to become a liverpool... if you keep spending 500 million but finishing 6th all the time... finishing outside the top 4 all the time. The transfer money slowly decreases with each year
To be fair, that might not be such a bad thing. It completely removes that option of 'Let's sign Bale!' if we can't afford him.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
To be fair, that might not be such a bad thing. It completely removes that option of 'Let's sign Bale!' if we can't afford him.
when rafa and rodgers were manager of liverpool they couldn't really spend big. klopp was more of a 'commercial' success, and so got more cash. klopp made them big again. that is why they stuck with him... why he, unlike rafa and rodgers, evaded the sack.

Last edited:

Keefy18

He may not be so wrong . This was Liverpool's year or should have been . Madrid need a rebuild , especially up front if they were to target Sane and Salah i believe they would get them . United will rebuild , especially if the Glaziers sell . Chelsea will also rebuild so in all likelihood the League in a year or two will not be the two horse race it is now
They seem to want Hazard & Pogba more so.

john moran

They seem to want Hazard & Pogba more so.
They have 500 million to spend and they need 5 or 6 players . Who knows who they are targeting , i do hope they want Mr Pogba and have a nice 150 million ready in cash

crossy1686

career ending
when rafa and rodgers were manager of liverpool they couldn't really spend big. klopp was more of a 'commercial' success, and so got more cash. klopp made them big again. that is why they stuck with him... why he, unlike rafa and rodgers, evaded the sack.
They were also under new ownership and buying smart with the money they had.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's been 52 years since anyone but Sir Alex Ferguson managed Manchester United to a league title...

Infra-red

We wont ever win the league when the owners mindset of the club is achieving top 4 and sucking money out of the club.
This is sadly true. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that they are open to a) selling, or b) changing their ways.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We'll never go anywhere without unity. The fans are equally toxic in everything. Within a year theyve gonne from ole is the man to ole is wrong man.

We're easy to lay blame on everything, taking into considerations 3-4 years slump is normal among other great clubs. Took Chelsea a while to win the league, arsenal has been in the wilderness for decades, we as bad as we potray ourselves stil has trophies along the way.

Keefy18

They have 500 million to spend and they need 5 or 6 players . Who knows who they are targeting , i do hope they want Mr Pogba and have a nice 150 million ready in cash
:lol::lol:

They do on their arse have 500m!

They are not going to spend 500m in a single summer, it'll be around half that much.

Be careful what you wish for, our midfield minus Pogba won't suddenly repair itself. He isn't the issue.

Fluctuation0161

We'll never go anywhere without unity. The fans are equally toxic in everything. Within a year theyve gonne from ole is the man to ole is wrong man.

We're easy to lay blame on everything, taking into considerations 3-4 years slump is normal among other great clubs. Took Chelsea a while to win the league, arsenal has been in the wilderness for decades, we as bad as we potray ourselves stil has trophies along the way.
Unity. That's your analysis!?

What about the serial mismanagement of the club by the owners?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
When the Glazers sell to a sugar daddy, and Woodward gets replaced with someone competent.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
At least Liverpool fans had enough confidence to keep repeating next year will be their year. :smirk: We're pretty demotivated here.

Needham

Let's not bother counting eh? Becomes a self fulfilling prophecy

Fluctuation0161

Yes. That too. And it all started because they beleive in the vision and phylosophy of the greatest manager alive and choose moyes to succeed him.
It actually started before Fergie left. Look at our spending post 2005 after the Glazer takeover. Luckily Fergie was a genius and continued to win with minimal investment.

On another note, I can agree that fans are too quick to point the finger at Ole, Pogba, Jose etc. Rather than look at how the club has been run for the last 10 years. We need unity in that respect, not just another fall guy to take the blame and be moved on.

vidic blood & sand

Don't think history is going to repeat itself but hey, I hope you're right after all. Imo, at least 5-6 years are ahead of us before challenging again.
Are you assuming that City and Liverpool will dominate for 6 years? Not even we did that back in the 90s 00s.
If not, who else?
Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are not way ahead of us now.

el3mel

Are you assuming that City and Liverpool will dominate for 6 years? Not even we did that back in the 90s 00s.
If not, who else?
Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are not way ahead of us now.
Don't know what will happen to that Liverpool team and if they'll keep their players or other big clubs will lure them out but yeah I believe the current City side is well set to stay and dominate for several years coming. If Liverpool keep their players and add more they'll dominate too.

Things are different now and that's why I said things are changing. Liverpool may very well get 97 points and still finish 2nd. This would have been labelled as ridiculous 10 years ago.

Chelsea and Arsenal are at the same problems as us but Spurs are ahead of us imho. At this point they have been finishing regularly in top 4 getting 2nd and 3rd regularly while we struggle to finish top 4 two seasons in a row.

vidic blood & sand

Don't know what will happen to that Liverpool team and if they'll keep their players or other big clubs will lure them out but yeah I believe the current City side is well set to stay and dominate for several years coming. If Liverpool keep their players and add more they'll dominate too.

Things are different now and that's why I said things are changing. Liverpool may very well get 97 points and still finish 2nd. This would have been labelled as ridiculous 10 years ago.

Chelsea and Arsenal are at the same problems as us but Spurs are ahead of us imho. At this point they have been finishing regularly in top 4 getting 2nd and 3rd regularly while we struggle to finish top 4 two seasons in a row.
Things can change quite quickly. I can't see Pep being at city for more than another 2 seasons, and liverpool still haven't won anything under klopp.
We will close the gap I'm certain, but as you said, we'll see.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Not for 10 years at least I fear - there’s too much competition and we’ve pissed-away that faith in the club is almost at zero.

Morpheus 7

Who knows? I’d have said the same for Liverpool just 2 years ago. Things can change very quickly with the right signings/formula.
I agree, you can't look when your sixth and in terrible form and ponder when will you get back to the top. Football changes quick, if you had this question 2 months ago people wouldn't be saying another 15 years. Maybe the questions need to be, how many good changes can we make to this team. How long will it take to gut out the rubbish and what owners will be doing it?

Josh 76

UTD and Arsenal dominated for a lot more than 6 years during the peak Wenger years. Cant see why City and Liverpool can't do the same.

el3mel

Things can change quite quickly. I can't see Pep being at city for more than another 2 seasons, and liverpool still haven't won anything under klopp.
We will close the gap I'm certain, but as you said, we'll see.
The team City built is strong enough to dominate as long as their next manager after Pep isn't David Moyes. I saw a lot of people here think they'll decline somewhat after Pep leaves, but I think the opposite. They'll be as strong imo.