g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Our next title?

DonFerguson

I think the problem for Liverpool is that while they can realistically overtake all of us, Spurs and Chelsea this season already (they will certainly overtake Chelsea, and probably Spurs too - with us it's 50/50 but they will have had a better season than us anyway due to their CL campaign), I don't think that over the course of season they are capable of maintaining consistency to win 90 points or so that will be needed to win the league. They might even be the best team overall in one off games against all top teams but I don't think they'll ever be able to batter teams with consistency under Klopp.
Fair enough, especially as they'd need to break the 90 point barrier to challenge City going forward - assuming City remain somewhat consistent. Having said that, I'm not sure that lies with Klopp. Klopp won the German league against a much stronger Bayern team and decimated them in the Cup, putting 5 past them. I'm not sure he's incapable of a title challenge.

I view it a little differently in that the flaw is with the structure of the team. Maybe it isn't balanced. Perhaps they're top heavy. Van Dijk was supposed to help with that but they're still anything but solid defensively. In essence, I'm agreeing with what you're saying. They would be much more frightening in cup competitions as they're capably of going toe-to-toe with almost anybody in Europe, but over the course of a season, I reckon you might be right.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That depends on two things, who will be our next manager (Mourinho will be gone before next April) and if the Glazers will continue to invest heavily in the team (which is by no means guaranteed).
All the while the club continue to turn a profit, the owners will invest. The Glazers have proven themselves extremely reliable on this front.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think it’s more the direction Liverpool are currently heading in and the fact they are showing continued improvement using a clear style of play. Hence why they are the bookies 2nd favourites next year.

The inconsistency and shambolic defensive performances are starting to fade from the memory.
They have had performances just like ours yesterday this season. Ours came in a crunch game with Sevilla whereas theirs was a loss to Swansea after beating City. Shit happens.

Liverpool are the 3rd best team, behind the 2 Manchester clubs.
Liverpool supporters (and pundits) may make out that they are the best....but they are not. They have done well in the CL, though. No doubt about that.
Yeah I'd probably have them as the same, however reading through this thread you'd think we hadn't improved more than them just this season alone.

This time last year we were definitely behind them. Now we're in front of them (debatable for some people, however I firmly believe we're the better side) and somehow people expect them to overtake us next season.

If we have improved so much from last season, who is to say we can't make the same leaps next year and push on ahead of them even further.

RedDevil5

Look how long Liverpool have gone with no title. It could be a while, don't fool yourselves.

Marcky411

As long as we have Jose and City have Pep, not. Jose has always been Pep's bitch.

ArjenIsM3

With the form City are in, Liverpool seemingly improving a lot each season, and most of the players they have being relatively young so likely to improve, I don't think we're going to win the league this season or the next. I feel we're going to have to be patient a while longer. Top 4 and CL are more realistic targets.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
With the form City are in, Liverpool seemingly improving a lot each season, and most of the players they have being relatively young so likely to improve, I don't think we're going to win the league this season or the next. I feel we're going to have to be patient a while longer. Top 4 and CL are more realistic targets.
The new Arsenal!

Big Andy

Bloke
If we've still got two absolutely wank full backs, never...the game has changed so much in the past few years...the full backs are basically like wingers these day (not aging former wingers shoehorned in there due to their versatility)...they need to have pace, trickery, be able to cross consistently, and score goals...take the weight off the front 3 and allow them to get into the box more...

2 new attacking full backs (who can also defend) would revolutionise our game I reckon...we'd press higher up, and have more attacking options...

but then we're also waiting on City to have a bad season...

ArjenIsM3

The new Arsenal!
Well someone had to take their place after the pack got shuffled right? :lol:

Seriously though, as much as it hurts for me to say this, just compare our best players with the ones Pool and Citeh have like-for-like. Bar De Gea, Bailly and perhaps Sanchez and/or Pogba if they find their form again, none of our players would make their first 11. And we've got more dead wood as well, not to mention that Klopp and Pep are at least as good as Mou is. And they're playing more attractive football. To beat our neighbours we'd need 5 new first class signings and maybe a new coach. That's just not going to happen this summer. And beside that, there's also the chance of a complete collapse as it's going to be Jose's infamous third season.

Little Finger

Not anytime soon. Because even though we have slightly improved our squad we never seem to know how to get the best out of our players. Only after we do that will we be able to win the league.

El Zoido

City will win it the next two seasons at least. They’re going to get better from here, not worse. We’re miles behind them, despite the result the other week. I don’t think we’ll win it in the next five years, beyond that, it’s really hard to predict anything. We could easily end up doing a Liverpool and going a couple of decades or more without winning the league. I think because we’re in a good place financially, people assume the next title is inevitable, but it’s not.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
City will win it the next two seasons at least. They’re going to get better from here, not worse. We’re miles behind them, despite the result the other week. I don’t think we’ll win it in the next five years, beyond that, it’s really hard to predict anything. We could easily end up doing a Liverpool and going a couple of decades or more without winning the league. I think because we’re in a good place financially, people assume the next title is inevitable, but it’s not.
City go undefeated with 110 points next season?

Just a reminder that Guardiola's best season in the Bundesliga was his 1st season.

City are not going to get better next season because it's almost mathematically impossible. Barcelona under Guardiola suffered two losses at their best, and that team is far better than this team.

SpyLuke10

Pep will leave City after next season, after winning the league, 5 points clear of 2nd place, Man United. Then we'll walk the league in the 2019/20 season, in Mourinho's 4th final season in charge, and he'll depart and say "We won the league, that is it, that is normal for Man United, I have nothing to say". Pogba will be premier league player of the year, that will be the year where he takes it up a level, and Bailly will be universally regarded as the best centre back in the league, like De Gea at goalkeeper (still going strong). Valencia will get a testomonial match by then too. Also Lukaku will be our top scorer for the season, Martial our top assister and Jése Lingardinho will get the nod for goal of the season too.

El Zoido

City go undefeated with 110 points next season?

Just a reminder that Guardiola's best season in the Bundesliga was his 1st season.

City are not going to get better next season because it's almost mathematically impossible. Barcelona under Guardiola suffered two losses at their best, and that team is far better than this team.
Other teams will improve too. They can improve and not better their title margin from this season. Expect them to spend another £200m+ this summer. They’re just getting started.

SpyLuke10

As good a coach as Pep is, hes like a ticking time bomb, that will have a mental breakdown before we know it. Hence why I think there is no way he will still be at City after next season unless they will the treble.

Hungover

Not next year anyway. Jose’s last year will be next year along with pogba. If we keep on to martial and rashford and get a new manager 2 years we will win the league until then nothing will change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handré1990

I think it won’t be under Mourinho. If that is because he will leave at the same time as Pep or because he gets bored/falls out with the team/Woody remains to be seen.

I still think when it happens (2-4 years would be my bet) we will have benefitted from Mourinho, because (1) he is doing an ok job building a better squad (better at transfers than Moyes/LVG), and (2) he is challenging the players mentalities, which I think is important. However, it doesn’t look like he is able to consistently bring out the extra mile from most of the players.

I’m also starting to think that what was the proverbial poison chalice (managing us) after SAF could be seen as a real treat for good managers hungry for success. Good playing material and money to burn etc, while still not getting out all of the squads potential.

Minimalist

Thinking with my head? It's either next season or it'll be a write-off for another 3-5 seasons.

Either Mourinho gets his shit together or it'll all implode next season (the money is firmly on the latter right now). It'll be another a couple of seasons of rebuilding the dressing room after that.

Retrokicks

We probably have a decent shot at the title next year! If we add a couple of top signings and the top signings of this year start playing like top signings, then we should have a top team :)

In all seriousness, City will fall off next year and traditionally Liverpool always fall off after a semi decent season, so that leaves Chelsea and us (not even going to count Spurs in). I think it will be wide open and there for the taking.

MoskvaRed

We are now 5 years on from the last title and I don’t see this team landing the title next year. It could be another 3-5 years after a rebuild of Mourinho’s rebuild of Van Gaal’s rebuild. Hopefully it won’t be a repeat of 67-93.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Same old straw clutching going on about Pep expecting him to do exactly what he did in the past despite the circumstances being different.
What will drag City down in the next couple of seasons IMO will be the ageing of some key players. Within a couple of years Silva, Aguero, Kompany and Fernandinho will either be gone or a shadow of their current selves.
Otamendi and de Bruyne may not replicate this season's performance and Gundogan, Stones and Sterling have question marks.

Many of the squad will be knackered after a summer that includes going deep into the World Cup so there may be a slow start to next season and the usual difficulty in retaining PL will be a factor.

There are realistic reasons why City will not cruise it next season but one of the other contenders must step up. United must cut out the dropped points to bottom half teams and their team spirit worries me.