Our Penalties

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We have had a penalty in each of our 3 matches and managed to convert only one.
Any outfield player should be able to convert a penalty.
This simply is poor preparation.

I remember Giggs used to put his penalties away bulging in the inside of the side net.
If the keeper does not favour a side and stays on the line, the taker should score simply because the ball travels faster than the keeper can move.

Of course players miss hit the ball at times. But that would be the exception.

We would have max points now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Penalties are around 75% generally to be scored, so of course some will be missed, especially in higher pressure situations. Missing key pens in back to back games is rare and really a bit shit, but unlikely to continue for much longer.

Do think we need to just have a set taker. I know many teams have rotating takers and it's fine, but I always felt having a clear set piece taker all the time for free kicks in one area, free kicks in the other, corners for each side and then pens. Just 1 player so that they always know and they are always prepped for it.

Would set it at:
Pens - Martial
Short free kicks on the left side - Pereira/Pogba
Short free kicks on the right side - Mata
Long free kicks - Rashford
Corner from the left side - Pereira/Rashford
Corner from the right side - Pereira/Shaw

Mr PG

Solskjaer is afraid to take a tough stance and ruffle any feathers... hence our 2nd No 3rd best takers are battling it out. I suspect Martial is our most clinical finisher and best taker. People rave about Rashford but he’s hit 3 of them same direction.

always_hoping

Whatever about penalties i think Rashford needs to stop taking corners and free kicks.

JMack1234

Despite him hitting the woodwork I think Rashford is our best penalty taker so this isn't hard.

Before every game Ole has to tell everyone who penalty taker is and if that player isn't on the pitch who will take their place. If for some reason both players are not on the pitch then it is up to the players.

SCJY

Gross mismanagement has led to a crisis of confidence when it comes to penalties.

The management isn’t getting on top of key issues that define the outcome of games. After Rashford took a great pen vs. Chelsea, or that one vs. PSG, he should have been given the nod to be the designated taker. That should make him even more confident, and rewarded for doing good. Now he has that miss on his record due to poor management.

Another issue I have is: he wasn’t Ashley young given the captains arm band when he came on against palace? He’s the club captain, but he isn’t the captain on the field? What in the actual feck? Was this addressed on any of the pressers? I wouldn’t b surprised something like this was playing on de gea’s mind which affected his focus and concentration.

Fine margins is a common refrain... but piss-poor management is basically giving the opposition the advantage before a ball has even been kicked.

jem

Solskjaer is afraid to take a tough stance and ruffle any feathers... hence our 2nd No 3rd best takers are battling it out. I suspect Martial is our most clinical finisher and best taker. People rave about Rashford but he’s hit 3 of them same direction.
How do you know that?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rashford is still the best. His penalty wasn’t even bad, it was just a tiny fraction too much into the corner. When he strikes it that well he doesn’t need to place it that far.

I remember Kane missed one similar, If happens..

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It's a shame there's a goalkeeper in the net when players take penalties. What's the excuse if Martial gets to take one and misses a shot? Ole didn't coach him well enough on penalties?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You should let OGS know about your concerns during lunch at Carrington after you supervise the players training, you must see them in action frequently outside of PL fixtures to make such an informed opinion.