Our rival's squads next year - Man City

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
About time I made this... But it's on my phone so it'll look horrible.

Players needed to be registered:

1: Joe Hart
2. Bacary Sagna
3. Pablo Zabaletta
4. Vincent Kompany
5. Fernando
6. Edin Dzeko
7. Kolarov
8. Samir Nasri
9. Willy Carabelero
10. Wilfred Bony
11. Jesus Navas
12. Sergio Aguerro
13. Mangala
14. Gael Clichy
15. Fernandinho
16. Richard Wright
17. Martin Dimichellis
18. Steven Jovetic
19. Yaya Toure
20. Bruno Zucilini

They've already lost Milner and Barry and seem to be losing Dzeko.

Sterling will arrive though. Which I think will be a brilliant signing.

What do you think? Champion contenders?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't see them winning the title next season, not with the squad they've got (even with the addition of Sterling)

coolredwine

lameredboots
They will struggle throughout the season, barring Aguero and Silva's genius. That midfield just doesn't provide any sort of inspiration.

Raw

Dont they need more homegrown players? I only count hart, kompany and maybe zuculini in that squad.
I think the rule is that they're restricted to 17 non homegrown players, rather than needing 8 homegrown players. So they can have like 4 homegrown players, but they cannot have more than 17 non homegrown players in their 25 man squad.

I don't think City even had 8 homegrown players last season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They're bringing in Sterling for the price we brought in Darmian, Depay and Schweinsteiger... :lol:

He'll improve them though. They're squad is a bit shite these days IMO. Aguero and Silva are class, and Fernandinho is pretty good (same with Hart in net), but the rest are just average squad players at this point and I wouldn't take any of them at United. It's a very similar squad to United's when Fergie was retiring basically. A lot of work to be done.

Cmz'

Still quite early but I thought they would have had more done by this stage given that I think they need a window like ours where 5 or 6 are brought in rather than one like Arsenal or Chelsea who probably only need 3 or so. Sterling's a great signing for them, £49m is shit loads but tbh they've got the money so why not spend it? They're not going to be getting Pogba and a highly doubt they'll get De Bruyne so I suppose it was important they at least got one of their original major targets.

With regards to the squad it's the same problem again of being too old, they really need to freshen it up this summer if they want to challenge for the major trophies. Kompany getting a rest will be important as maybe then he'll regain some sort of form, Mangala and Toure surely can't be as bad as last season however Zabaleta and Fernandinho both went away to the Copa America so it remains to be seen how that affects them as they're both the wrong side of 30 and neither of them were particularly impressive last season. Aguero's the best player in the league imo but you can guarantee he'll be out for at least 2 months at some stage this season and the only back up (if we're going by rumours) is Bony. I'm sure they'll do a fair bit of business with the time left but it seems as though them chasing Pogba has come at the expense of getting in the other players they need. Still personally think they need a CB, LB, CM and probably a ST if, as the rumours go, Jovetic and Dzeko leave although the problem is they need to try and get in young-ish players whilst some of them will also need to be homegrown. Big window for them I think, but at least Sterling's a fairly good start to it.

Glanville95

It's just really thin and they need numbers. Obviously they have to be of sufficient quality, but they have no depth in any area at all, assuming both Jovetic and Dzeko leave as expected. They have some star quality. I don't expect Aguero or Silva to fade at all, despite the latters age and if Toure is motivated he is still one of the best CM's in the league, so they obviously have some top performers and a good enough spine.

Aside from that, they are really deprived of quality and numbers in most areas to compete across all fronts. Justbthe three centre backs. One who is past the peak of his powers, one who endured a nightmare debut season and lastly an ageing thirty-four year old who is arguably their best central defender. Then their midfield options are just as worrisome. Fernando who is average, Fernandinho who's decent and Yaya who is obviously quality, but you wonder whether he is motivated.

Their current squad needs more surgery than ours. An ageing squad with a few shining beacons of light that carry the team. Sterling will be a stellar acquisition if you factor out the fee IMO and he will start over Nasri and Navas. They could still do with a LB, CM and arguably a CB and ST which Jovetic and Dzeko close to the exit door.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Why do all the thread titles need 'our rivals squad' in them?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Im looking forward to seeing some of their prospects - Denayer, Iheanacho and Zuculini are all likely to feature next year it seems.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Agree with this. Both their left backs are twenty-nine and the right backs are in their thirties. They definitely need to freshen up the fullback positions, left back at the very least.

Zabaleta is a class right-back and even though it wasn't a stellar season for him last year, he is still the standout right-back in the league and underperformed. I think that season needs to be taken in isolation when you compare it with his true level and not signs of gradual decline. I too prefer Kolarov, if just for his attacking prowess, but if anyone is leaving it will be the Serb. Clichy might be the worse player, but he counts as homegrown and I can't see City offloading another with the amount they've let go.

Definitely need a holding midfielder too. I like Fernandinho, but if Toure wanders and doesn't contribute enough defensively then they need someone who is more intelligent and more adept at screening the back for than the Brazilian. The three you've mentioned are ideal targets. Add another forward when Dzeko and Jovetic inevitably leave, as well as a centre back and are no doubt ready for a title assault. As it stands, I think they're just as short as us truth be told.
Agree strongly with everything said, especially the last part. Actually slipped my mind that Clichy was home-grown which does rule out his departure for now. If they can move on from this Sterling-saga and ruthlessly pursue the targets they need, you'd have to think Chelsea's position as sure favourites is in doubt. An intelligent holding midfielder would also stand them in much better stead for Europe.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Every single one of these threads has diabolical grammar in the title.

Can someone please correct it?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's a bit strange how they're not linked with any defenders at all.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
A lot of media outlets linking both Dzeko and Jovetic with moves away.
Did catch rumours of Jovetic making a return to Italy but I didn't know Dzeko was a wantaway too. Might be the first time in a half decade City won't be known for their excessive number of senior forwards.

Kag

Their inability to bring in a proper central defender gets nowhere near enough attention. Zabaleta has looked to be on the wane, Kompany has his own issues, Clichy and Korlarov have been replaceable for at least two seasons and Mangala hasn't looked anything like the player they need to come in and partner Kompany.

Their central midfield options are a 32 year old Toure, Fernandinho and the middling Fernando. Up top, they replaced Dzeko, probably soon to leave, with an inferior player in Bony.

Sterling is a great signing and will finally rid them of shite like Navas, but City need some major work, and should be looking to bring in just as many as us.

If I were a City supporter I'd like to see a centre half, left back, two midfielders and another tricky, versatile attacker like Sterling.

prath92

About time I made this... But it's on my phone so it'll look horrible.

Players needed to be registered:

1: Joe Hart
2. Bacary Sagna
3. Pablo Zabaletta
4. Vincent Kompany
5. Fernando
6. Edin Dzeko
7. Kolarov
8. Samir Nasri
9. Willy Carabelero
10. Wilfred Bony
11. Jesus Navas
12. Sergio Aguerro
13. Mangala
14. Gael Clichy
15. Fernandinho
16. Richard Wright
17. Martin Dimichellis
18. Steven Jovetic
19. Yaya Toure
20. Bruno Zucilini

They've already lost Milner and Barry and seem to be losing Dzeko.

Sterling will arrive though. Which I think will be a brilliant signing.

What do you think? Champion contenders?
Didn't Barry leave last season beginning?

And. No. They have a very ageing team and if I'm honest a little average team too. Their midfield has toure (looks like he is staying only because no one will pay him these wages) Fernandinho and fernando (neither of them are top class. Just average mids who will put in a good shift on their day.

Attack and keeper are the only positions they are strong. Hart has really been brilliant last season and aguero and bony are good strikers. Sterling is capable of linking with aguero and bony like he did with Suarez and Sturridge unless he succumbs to pressure. Navas nasri and all I would be surprised if they performed well next season.

Defenders I like kompany even though he had a bad season by his standards last season. Mangala looks out of depth demichelis is old. Zabaleta too looks disinterested and Sagna never looked like the arsenal Sagna. Clichy and kolarov are pretty hit and miss.

In short they need a midfield revamp and maybe defence too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So I'm guessing

-------------------Hart-------------------
Zabaleta--Mangala--Kompany--Clichy
-------------Toure----Fernandinho------------
Nasri-------------Silva----------------Sterling
------------------Aguero------------------

I still see the same problems there as last season at the moment, seems Pellegrini's answer to their problems is to just try and out score the opposition

Glanville95

Agree strongly with everything said, especially the last part. Actually slipped my mind that Clichy was home-grown which does rule out his departure for now. If they can move on from this Sterling-saga and ruthlessly pursue the targets they need, you'd have to think Chelsea's position as sure favourites is in doubt. An intelligent holding midfielder would also stand them in much better stead for Europe.

Did catch rumours of Jovetic making a return to Italy but I didn't know Dzeko was a wantaway too. Might be the first time in a half decade City won't be known for their excessive number of senior forwards.
Who is next on their agenda though? Telegraph reporting their vested interest in De Bruyne, but I'm not sure I see them signing him. He would complete their front four though, alongside Silva, Aguero and Sterling. That might be enough to fire them to a title even if they failed to address their other deficiencies. No other PL front-line can compete with that.

As for an intelligent, holding midfielder, I'm not sure they will sign one. They initially targeted Delph and he's more box-to-box and they've also been linked with Song who isn't an upgrade on Fernandinho, nor is he renowned for his footballing intelligence. Schneiderlin would have been a perfect fit, but I hear he's opted for the other Manchester club :D.

Yep, seems like Dzeko will join Roma. Never seen Unal, but he's just 18 and one for the future. They would definitely need to sign another striker, if they only have Bony and Aguero.

Glanville95

So I'm guessing

-------------------Hart-------------------
Zabaleta--Mangala--Kompany--Clichy
-------------Toure----Fernandinho------------
Nasri-------------Silva----------------Sterling
------------------Aguero------------------

I still see the same problems there as last season at the moment, seems Pellegrini's answer to their problems is to just try and out score the opposition
Pellegrini's tactical naivety is certainly an issue when it comes to the Champions League.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
If they sign De Bruyne they will have a cracking front 4.

Sterling--De Bruyne--Silva
------------Aguero------------

That would be pretty deadly.

However that still leaves them with a pretty average midfield and defense.

There is still time for Mangala to improve but so far he has been about as useful as a hammer made out of glass. Demechelis is like 34 now I think and Kompany seems to be declining. Zabaleta is also knocking on and declining as well. I think City really needs to look at improving their Defense as a priority.

The Midfield also isn't great. Fernandinho is pretty good and Toure is still quality with the ball, but off it he is a lazy bastard. The City fans seem to think Pogba is on his way but lets face it, he ain't going there.

So despite having one of the best attacks in the league (even better if they sign De Bruyne) the defense and midfield is shocking. If they don't improve I think they will struggle this season.

Obviously the transfer window isn't over yet so City still have time to improve in key area's but based on the squad they have now I cannot see them finishing above us, Chelsea or Arsenal.

diarm

I might not like Sterling that much but they can afford him, FFP is a joke and he will improve them in an area they need improving. If they do sign De Bruyne then they're a centre back and a centre mid away from a hell of a first team:

Hart
Zabaleta Kompany ***** Clichy
Toure---*****
De Bruyne---Silva-----Sterling
Aguero​

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I might not like Sterling that much but they can afford him, FFP is a joke and he will improve them in an area they need improving. If they do sign De Bruyne then they're a centre back and a centre mid away from a hell of a first team:

Hart
Toure---*****
Aguero​
It would have been a hell of a first team 2 years ago.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If they do get De Bruyne I could see them winning the league even without any defensive surgery. Between him and Silva they'd create chances for fun, and Sterling would actually use his pace to stretch backlines, unlike Navas. De Bruyne racked in 20+ assists last season with Bas Dost upfront.

diarm

It would have been a hell of a first team 2 years ago.
You could well be right although I think that front 4 and Zabaleta are still absolutely top drawer payers. Hart and Clichy are good Premiership performers and if they bring in high quality options at centre back and midfield they will challenge.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Who is next on their agenda though? Telegraph reporting their vested interest in De Bruyne, but I'm not sure I see them signing him. He would complete their front four though, alongside Silva, Aguero and Sterling. That might be enough to fire them to a title even if they failed to address their other deficiencies. No other PL front-line can compete with that.

As for an intelligent, holding midfielder, I'm not sure they will sign one. They initially targeted Delph and he's more box-to-box and they've also been linked with Song who isn't an upgrade on Fernandinho, nor is he renowned for his footballing intelligence. Schneiderlin would have been a perfect fit, but I hear he's opted for the other Manchester club :D.

Yep, seems like Dzeko will join Roma. Never seen Unal, but he's just 18 and one for the future. They would definitely need to sign another striker, if they only have Bony and Aguero.
Whoever is on their target list, our efficient weekend is making them look exceptionally slow. The issue of home-grown players is also a hindrance to their business. Add that to Zabaleta and Touré being both aged and almost irreplaceable parts of the current setup and it's not hard to see why they'd be worried of slipping further from triumph in the coming season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The way it's currently written makes it seem as though we have one rival with multiple squads.

Sorry for derailing the thread!

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea

Hart
Toure---*****
Aguero​
Out: Kolarov, Dzeko, Caballero
In: De Bruyne, Gundogan, Sterling, Omer Toprak, Abdurahman Baba, English backup keeper

Hart
Zabaleta Kompany Toprak Clichy
Toure---Gundogan
Aguero​

If they have money to burn, they should aim for this.

diarm

Out: Kolarov, Dzeko, Caballero
In: De Bruyne, Gundogan, Sterling, Omer Toprak, Abdurahman Baba, English backup keeper

Hart
Zabaleta Kompany Toprak Clichy
Toure---Gundogan
Aguero​

If they have money to burn, they should aim for this.
Gundogan would be an excellent signing for them. I've never seen Toprak play, how good is he?

NoPace

If they do get De Bruyne I could see them winning the league even without any defensive surgery. Between him and Silva they'd create chances for fun, and Sterling would actually use his pace to stretch backlines, unlike Navas. De Bruyne racked in 20+ assists last season with Bas Dost upfront.
I think De Bruyne is so good on the counter as a 10 you want proper wide players with pace either side of him. But there are no big teams with wingers but no 10s that I can think of, since the former are so much harder to find.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Gundogan would be an excellent signing for them. I've never seen Toprak play, how good is he?
Gundogan isn't a particularly ideal signing. Toure gets a lot of criticism for laziness and an unwillingness to continue providing a driving presence and goal threat from midfield. The one thing he continues to consistently provide is excellent playmaking, both from deep and moving further. Defensive nous, busyness in midfield, and protective screening of the back four are the things Toure doesn't and probably can't provide- none of which are Gundogan's strengths.

diarm

Gundogan isn't a particularly ideal signing. Toure gets a lot of criticism for laziness and an unwillingness to continue providing a driving presence and goal threat from midfield. The one thing he continues to consistently provide is excellent playmaking, both from deep and moving further. Defensive nous, busyness in midfield, and protective screening of the back four are the things Toure doesn't and probably can't provide- none of which are Gundogan's strengths.
That's a fair point but at 32, and considering the way he performed last season, Toure isn't going to be around for ever. Gundogan is 24 and would be a quality fixture in their midfield for much of the next decade.

I get that my original lineup had Toure there so I agree with you, there may be others better suited to playing alongside him. I'm surprised they weren't looking at Khedira or Schneiderlin.