Our strongest XI

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Might not be a popular subject to bring up but if we were to say that this is our strongest XI...

------------De Gea------------
AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
---McTominay----Pogba---
James------Lingard------Rashford
------------Martial------------

Then that's an XI that we've fielded just once all season (against Wolves away in the second game of the season). How much improvement do we realistically think we'll see when we're able to field that line up again?

romufc

We shouldn't concede much with that formation and we need PP to deliver.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Lingard as a 10 is a joke since I think he has 1 assist and 0 goals in 8 months.

Mine would be

.......................De Gea
.........Lindelof...Maguire...Tuanzebe
AWB..........McTominay...Fred..........Shaw
......................Pogba
...........Martial............James..........(rotate with Rashford)

The 3 in the back would allow Pogba, AWB and Shaw to have more freedom.

el3mel

Replace Lingard with Periera and I think that's our strongest lineup, and it's still underwhelming.

Lynty

Lingard as a 10 is a joke since I think he has 1 assist and 0 goals in 8 months.

Mine would be

I don't think we like to use our 10 as a creator, hence why we'll never see Pogba there. We use our 10 as primary form of defence in aggesively pressing the passing channels behind the front 3. Discouraging the opponent from playing through midfield (a weak point in defensive regards) and reducing the definsive pressure/responsibility on Pogba etc.

I can't see Pogba ever doing that and neither do I see two midfielders good enough to consistently soak pressure.

I don't think we'll ever see Pogba as a 10 in Ole's system.

@Cassidy

Here's a brief aspect of a playstyle I suppose

UpWithRivers

Mine would be

Will work against Liverpool, City etc not for park the bus teams. Id go like below for other teams

....................De Gea
AWB......Lindelof...Maguire.....Shaw...
..........McTominay...Fred....Pogba.....
James...........Martial............Rashford.......

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't think we like to use our 10 as a creator, hence why we'll never see Pogba there. We use our 10 as primary form of defence in aggesively pressing the passing channels behind the front 3. Discouraging the opponent from playing through midfield (a weak point in defensive regards) and reducing the definsive pressure/responsibility on Pogba etc.

I can't see Pogba ever doing that and neither do I see two midfielders good enough to consistently soak pressure.

I don't think we'll ever see Pogba as a 10 in Ole's system.

@Cassidy

Here's a brief aspect of a playstyle I suppose
This breaks down when he plays Mata 10 and Pereira RW no? That what Im confused about, as I thought this was the case, but then in practice is isn't what I see from the selection and play

Anyway maybe that is the case, time will tell.

BTW thats not exactly a play style though

Lynty

This breaks down when he plays Mata 10 and Pereira RW no? That what Im confused about, as I thought this was the case, but then in practice is isn't what I see from the selection and play

Anyway maybe that is the case, time will tell.

BTW thats not exactly a play style though
'aspect'

Agreed, with Mata though.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
'aspect'

Agreed, with Mata though.
So then do you see why people are confused and are doubting either its existence or the conviction to stick to it. I mean we have hardly adopted an aggressive press all season bar a couple of games

Adcuth

Depends how you set them up. Might be easier to pick out our 11 best players and work out a formation based on that

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Will work against Liverpool, City etc not for park the bus teams. Id go like below for other teams

....................De Gea
AWB......Lindelof...Maguire.....Shaw...
..........McTominay...Fred....Pogba.....
James...........Martial............Rashford.......
I disagree. The 3 in the back has much flexibility. It can be conservative like against Liverpool in the 2nd half (5 in the back), or it can be adventurous by pushing one of AWB and Shaw further up the pitch during some attacks like AWB and Young did in the 1st half vs Liverpool. Overlaps are critical against park-the-bus teams and giving AWB and Shaw more freedom should help.

Hammondo

We played our best match this season without pogba, we might wanna keep going without him.

Gator Nate

Mine would be

I kind of like this one. Rotating one of the front three out every game or two would keep them fresh, and maybe prevent some injuries. And don't forget Greenwood. In later stages, I would pull Fred (whom I view as a defensive workhorse alongside McT) and insert Pereira to push for a goal.

Lingard needs to be moved out, unless he can turn something around, but he has offered very little when he's played this year.

zenith

Replace lingard with perriera and get pogba as the most advanced midfielder and that'll certainly be our best 11

King Andow

Stopped reading at Lingard. There's no strongest XI with him, Matic, Pereira etc

USREDEVIL

--------------De Gea--------
AWB - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw
Pereira -- McTominay -- Pogba
James -- Rashford -- Martial

Not exactly worldbeaters but hey, it's what we've got.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Might not be a popular subject to bring up but if we were to say that this is our strongest XI...

---McTominay----Pogba---

Then that's an XI that we've fielded just once all season (against Wolves away in the second game of the season). How much improvement do we realistically think we'll see when we're able to field that line up again?
Spine is poor. Lindelof, Pogba and Martial aren't reliable and Lingard just doesn't produce at all. It's still just a team to play the big boys with and won't score enough goals or keep enough clean sheets.

MrBest

De gea
Tuanzabe maguire lindeloff
Awb shaw
Mctominay
Andreas Pogba
James
Martial Rashford

Its actually pretty hard to get the right formation and players. Ole has a tough job, he should of invested more.

RedTiger

Half mast

---McTominay----Pogba---

I'd think its more;

AWB--Axel--Maguire--Shaw
---McTominay----Fred---
James------Pogba------Rashford

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

---McTominay----Pogba---

Pretty sure that Pereira has moved ahead of Lingard and Mata to be first choice in that role. Otherwise yes that is what I expect Ole is looking at to be our strongest XI. Personally I would prefer a formation with three proper midfielders (most likely a 433).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When i sleep:
Ddg- AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Sandro- Brozovic, Pogba, Rakitic- Sancho, Kane, Martial.
Coach- Pochettino

When i am awake:
Ddg- AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw- Fred, Pogba, Pereira- James, Martial, Rashford

Ollie Derbyshire

De Gea
Bissakka Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
James Pogba Rashford
Martial

If everyone stayed fit till the end of the season I think this would be our best XI.

Had big hopes for Lindelof but looks like he’s gone back to his first years form, I’d rather give Tuanzebe the game time as I think he could become a very good CB.

Our lack of creativity means Pogba has to play further forward for me which then means rwe need a partner for McTominay, no stand outs there as we know so I’d go for Fred and hope he grows into the role.

Get a top class CDM in the summer, creative winger an experienced goal scorer.

MrSingh2002

We need a left back and a number 10 to have a strong 11. If Tuanzebe played for another club our fans would be saying that we should sign him.

De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire LB
McTominay Pogba
James CAM Rashford
Martial​

USREDEVIL

We need a left back and a number 10 to have a strong 11. If Tuanzebe played for another club our fans would be saying that we should sign him.

De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire LB
McTominay Pogba
James CAM Rashford
Martial​
Not bad. I only question whether Martial is good enough as a lone striker.

Canagel

DDG
Tuanzebe Lindelof Maguire
AWB Fred. Mctominay Dalot/Shaw
Rashford Pogba
Martial​

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Where were all these 3-5-2s before?

Dve

.....................DDG

.......Lindeløf - Maguire - Tuanzebe

Bissaka - McTominay - Pogba - Shaw

..............James - Rashford

..................Martial