Our style of play

Andy_Cole

Why do I keep seeing we have no style? It’s really obvious to me. Is it this FIFA/ FM generation who build in a style before the game starts and think they are analytical geniuses now?

Our style is simple, to score goals. We get the ball and we try to create and score. No silly tika taka. It’s literally constantly creating goal scoring opportunities.

It’s the reason for our inconsistency in games. In periods it doesn’t work, we lose the ball a lot, the other team dominates. But when it does it’s magical. We scored 3 goals in 15 minutes yesterday by doing exactly this.

I’m personally a big fan of this. I don’t care about dominating possession stats. I just want us trying to constantly score.

Greck

In other words our style of play is direct. I personally think a good style of play raises both a team's floor and ceiling. On bad days the former is important because it maintains high quality opportunity creation and keeps the attack from grinding to a halt. Right now I don't know if our current style can lead to sustained success on multiple fronts but we'll see how the season plays out. The proof will be on the pitch rather than anything I/we can say here for or against it

edit: to add I personally have my doubts because the variance between our good and bad days is wider than the grand canyon. Being as prone to winning big as you are to losing to no-named teams doesn't seem a recipe for success. Our current CL campaign reflects this as it feels like we just roll dice before every game

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why do I keep seeing we have no style? It’s really obvious to me. Is it this FIFA/ FM generation who build in a style before the game starts and think they are analytical geniuses now?

Our style is simple, to score goals. We get the ball and we try to create and score. No silly tika taka. It’s literally constantly creating goal scoring opportunities.

It’s the reason for our inconsistency in games. In periods it doesn’t work, we lose the ball a lot, the other team dominates. But when it does it’s magical. We scored 3 goals in 15 minutes yesterday by doing exactly this.

I’m personally a big fan of this. I don’t care about dominating possession stats. I just want us trying to constantly score.
I don't want to discuss about styles but what you described isn't a style that's what literally every teams in football tries to do because scoring goals is how by rule you may win a football game.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Our style is more similar to Liverpool than it is to City. We are more direct and like to break with pace. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Can we still improve? Of course. But trust the process.

Deery

Dreary
I don't want to discuss about styles but what you described isn't a style that's what literally every teams in football tries to do because scoring goals is how by rule you may win a football game.
Not Jose Mourinho’s

JPRouve

Scout
Not Jose Mourinho’s
Even José Mourinho, otherwise he wouldn't win games. I will also reveal that by rule, it's not a good idea to concede goals, do we consider that it's part of our style too?

Deery

Dreary
Our style of play is becoming more and more direct like a poster said rather than counter attack, you can see Maguire playing long balls up front more and midfield automatically playing a forward pass I really like it. It reminds me more of how United used to play with an edge and also entertaining..

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm just letting you know - if Bruno Fernandes was playing with unnecessary tactics holding him back (him being made to play possession when not needed, him made to press in certain ways etc) and not in clear tactically direct football when he can play his way - then he wouldn't be producing the way he does now.

Deery

Dreary
Even José Mourinho, otherwise he wouldn't win games. I will also reveal that by rule, it's not a good idea to concede goals, do we consider that it's part of our style too?
If we stopped leaking goals at the near post it would be..

Deery

Dreary
I'm just letting you know - if Bruno Fernandes was playing with unnecessary tactics holding him back (him being made to play possession when not needed, him made to press in certain ways etc) and not in clear tactically direct football when he can play his way - then he wouldn't be producing the way he does now.
This has crossed my mind also if we bring in a new manager first thing he does is probably shackle Bruno Fernandes and try and play a different style of football..

Greck

This has crossed my mind also if we bring in a new manager first thing he does is probably shackle Bruno Fernandes and try and play a different style of football..
Bruno will thrive in any system. Possession football wouldn't necessary hold him back. KDB walked the league in a possession system. Intelligent players typically don't suffer in those systems. I also love Bruno but would trade for a more even attack even at the cost of less goals, assists and general reliance on him. Not exactly comfy living terrified of what might happen if one player gets injured. Just imagine if we get to a CL semifinal 2nd leg and he's suspended

Web of Bissaka

Every team attempts to create and score, the more the better.

Those tikki takka, defensive, park the bus, organise or whatever are separate things, football isn't just creating and scoring. :drool: Is this a wum thread?

So basically our style is to have no single common style - just go out and play however the players want.

Zen86

“Style of play” isn’t a problem. That’s just a lazy term thrown at teams that either a) don’t go all out in the press or b) piss about with tiki taka type football. Our problem is inconsistency when it comes to execution. When 2 of our 3 first choice forwards are hugely inconsistent, it’s going to cause problems.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Our tactics and style of play is quite complex too be honest. I can see Ole, Mckenna and Carrick spending ndless nights carefully planning for it. So here's a detailed picture of it

JPRouve

Scout
Bruno will thrive in any system. Possession football wouldn't necessary hold him back. KDB walked the league in a possession system. Intelligent players typically don't suffer in those systems. I also love Bruno but would trade for a more even attack even at the cost of less goals, assists and general reliance on him. Not exactly comfy living terrified of what might happen if one player gets injured. Just imagine if we get to a CL semifinal 2nd leg and he's suspended
And if you apply the strange logic that a player is doomed if he is coached by someone else then how can you justify any transfer? Also why would anyone assume that a different manager would have a drastically different set of instructions for all players?

Dr. StrangeHate

Our style is counterattacking against teams that play on the front foot. Teams who play on the back foot we rely on individual brilliance to unlock them and we have a lot of individual brilliance in the squad to make it work. It should lead to a title challenge in a year like this one where City and Liverpool are having a wobble.

devilish

Ironically Bruno's kryptonite is his work rate and can do attitude. He struggled at Sampdoria because he was willing to drop deep and play out of position while Schick did not. So don't really bet on it. Considering how lazy our midfield is, managers might be tempted to do the same mistake with the same devastating consequences

Deery

Dreary
I don’t know I’m enjoying the way it is now if a Van Gaal or Mourinho was to take over again I couldn’t bare it..

OrcaFat

We don’t have one style of playing. We have a range of playing styles which depends on who is available to play and who the opposition is.

Ole’s philosophy appears to be Flexibility. It does mean that our performances and results are taking time to find a consistent level. But it is also a big reason why we are able to adapt during games and win after falling behind.

The overall approach is similar to the SAF days. We often have more possession than our opponents but often we don’t. When we are not playing a possession game it doesn’t mean we can’t control and win games. It is about being effective on the day.

I really enjoy watching us (mostly) and we are not far away from being a great side again. Not forgetting we are already the best team in the league over the last 24 games, if two or three of our guys recapture best form (and / or if we sign one or two in Jan) we can win the league. Don’t think we’ll win any cups because we can lose to anyone on our day, but the form table does not lie. And we do it all without having a style of play.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Haven’t we conceded the first goal in every away league game this season? Then gone on to win them all? That being said I refute your point and would say our style is to initially concede goal(s), but then score more goals than we concede

JPRouve

Scout
Haven’t we conceded the first goal in every away league game this season? Then gone on to win them all? That being said I refute your point and would say our style is to initially concede goal(s), but then score more goals than we concede
:lol:

Deery

Dreary
Like Brazil you score 2 we’ll score 3.

abailey123

Full backs pushing high in build up
Centre mid forming a back 3 in build up
Bruno having essentially a free role
Inside forwards

Reddevildans

We dont have a style of play. Although some things are pretty obvious in that we are absolutely shite at set pieces especially corners and so we dont rely on them. We do counter attack well. We do score some pretty neat goals and team goals. So I'd say we have a mix minus set pieces.

devilish

You score 3 we'll score 2?
We score 1 goal more then you mentality. That worked well with Keegan.

I wonder what's the point of spending so much in defence if that's the mentality we're using. If you ask me its more down to us failing in buying decent defenders despite the ridiculous money spent in that defence rather then anything else. Oh well

JPRouve

Scout
We score 1 goal more then you mentality. That worked well with Keegan.

I wonder what's the point of spending so much in defence if that's the mentality we're using. If you ask me its more down to us failing in buying decent defenders despite the ridiculous money spent in that defence rather then anything else. Oh well
But you know that it's not the case and you also know that the goals that we have conceded are due to poor execution and not a tactical choice. We are not a Zeman coached team.

devilish

But you know that it's not the case and you also know that the goals that we have conceded are due to poor execution and not a tactical choice. We are not a Zeman coached team.
I can't identify any tactical acumen from Ole. All I can see is a poorly coached team being dragged by the sporadic brilliance of individuals (mostly Bruno). I also think that most of the investment made in defence (by Ole/Mou/LVG) is money down the drain and that anyone with brains will probably get rid of most of those players or at least move them in a different position

JPRouve

Scout
I can't identify any tactical acumen from Ole. All I can see is a poorly coached team being dragged by the sporadic brilliance of individuals (mostly Bruno)
Which is irrelevant unless you are completely blind you know exactly what we are trying to do and in principal you should also see where we sometimes fail. To make it simple, we are a fast transition team, when we get the ball we try to be as vertical as possible and create chances before the oppostion can gather itself. Now we have two issues, our players are inconsistent and will often mess things up technically which allows the opposition to regain their defensive shape and we are not good at breaking well organized teams and force them to make mistakes.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Naturally. But the other outcome that would follow is that the team would be more cohesive and the goals and assists we’d lose from Fernandes would be compensated by the rest of the team and the general play.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which is irrelevant unless you are completely blind you know exactly what we are trying to do and in principal you should also see where we sometimes fail. To make it simple, we are a fast transition team, when we get the ball we try to be as vertical as possible and create chances before the oppostion can gather itself. Now we have two issues, our players are inconsistent and will often mess things up technically which allows the opposition to regain their defensive shape and we are not good at breaking well organized teams and force them to make mistakes.
We obviously try to do more than be fast transition. Especially in many games when the opposition sets out to defend against us. What we try to do in that scenario is what Im guessing isnt very obvious. I think its very obvious tactics fail unless teams come onto us.

The quick transition is only part of the tactical setup, so its not irrelevant in my opinion

devilish

That's how our players play based on their strengths. They don't need to be persuaded to play otherwise. You don't expect McT to try and dribble past defences, Pogba to drop deep and tackle, Martial to sweat or Rashford to hug the line and deliver accurate crosses. It's not in their nature to do that. In fact certain players contradict that tactic. For example Pogba tend to dilly dally with the ball, Martial can't care less of dropping deep to help win the ball and he can't be bothered making those quick runs upfront while our fullbacks should be delivering more accurate crosses at a quicker tempo.

Proper coaching is meant to fine tune the squad making it more consistent and getting the best out of players. Meanwhile there needs to be a vision to take the team to new heights and allowing it to change the game if needed. I can't see that with this side. We added a painfully slow CB in a team that was meant to be fast paced, we bought a defensive FB in a team that rely on inside forwards with no idea of how to cross the ball, we then added Telles who always struggled defensively in a defence that's weak even with Shaw in it

Last edited:

VivaRonaldo85

This approach is totally unsustainable against better teams. We can get away with it so to speak against the mid to lower half teams but the top teams in the league will work us out and we’ll come up short. In the long run you have to have a clear tactical system rather than the case as is now, that our individuals are better than yours. Plus it means we have to wrap Bruno, Rashford et al in cotton wool or this approach is down the pan when they get injured.

JPRouve

Scout
We obviously try to do more than be fast transition. Especially in many games when the opposition sets out to defend against us. What we try to do in that scenario is what Im guessing isnt very obvious. I think its very obvious tactics fail unless teams come onto us.

The quick transition is only part of the tactical setup, so its not irrelevant in my opinion
I don't think that we try to do something else which is why the thing that you are trying to see isn't obvious, it doesn't exist.

JPRouve

Scout
That's how our players play based on their strengths. They don't need to be persuaded to play otherwise. You don't expect McT to try and dribble past defences, Pogba to drop deep and tackle, Martial to sweat or Rashford to hug the line and deliver accurate crosses. It's not in their nature to do that. In fact certain players contradict that tactic. For example Pogba tend to dilly dally with the ball, Martial can't care less of dropping deep to help win the ball and he can't be bothered making those quick runs upfront while our fullbacks should be delivering more accurate crosses at a quicker tempo.

Proper coaching is meant to fine tune the squad making it more consistent and getting the best out of players. Meanwhile there needs to be a vision to take the team to new heights and allowing it to change the game if needed. I can't see that with this side. We added a painfully slow CB in a team that was meant to be fast paced, we bought a defensive FB in a team that rely on inside forwards with no idea of how to cross the ball, we then added Telles who always struggled defensively in a defence that's weak even with Shaw in it
You see that's why I told that your previous post was irrelevant. We are talking about the style of play which is obvious and you move the conversation to coaching. I agree with you on the coaching, our inconsistency and regular poor executions point to poor coaching particularly when Ole has been managing the team for nearly 2 years now but that has little to do with the existence of a playing style, that's two different things and unlike what you seem to think acknowledging the existence of a style isn't a praise or defense of Ole, it's a simple observation.