Our transfer focus with Glazernomics in mind

buckooo1978

So last Summer we made some decent signings

Maguire and Wan Bissaka were hardly left field and Phelan had worked with Maguire previously. James was recommended by Giggs and Ighalo came in courtesy of a link with Solskjaer's agent. Fernandes had a tremendous record and Sporting were very motivated to sell from the previous record.

Now we find ourselves plodding in the Summer Market. The initial excitement of Sancho has died off and it appears for all the world that United are going to lose in a game of chicken with Dortmund, paying the full fee at the end of the window.

We should be bringing 4 players in minimum if we are a serious football club - instead the reality of Glazernomics dawns on you. Its no surprise thought and I think once we see aome sales (late in window) we might see some additions

My question is though what are our Scouting department at? We could buy 3 good squad players in Europe for 50/60m

Instead our focus seems to be on English/English based players. If we buy Brooks you are talking close to an Ake fee - maybe 35m

Surely we should be showing a little more creativity

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It wasn't official but I think we just signed a young Serbian winger but will go out on loan and join us in 2021 and he is not English based player. Let's be real, this is pandemic year and I don't think I expect minimum 4 quality first team players to join us. 2 or 3 probably.

laughtersassassin

Such a joke that we are about to repeat the summer after Jose finished second and very likely stagnate or regress.

There are good deals to be had we just aren't run well.

Look at Thiago to Liverpool.

buckooo1978

It wasn't official but I think we just signed a young Serbian winger but will go out on loan and join us in 2021 and he is not English based player. Let's be real, this is pandemic year and I don't think I expect minimum 4 quality first team players to join us. 2 or 3 probably.
I'm thinking more about Sancho and maybe one other first team player. We need depth though or next year will be a shit show given our schedule

no playing kids in the Europa League to fall back on

buckooo1978

Such a joke that we are about to repeat the summer after Jose finished second and very likely stagnate or regress.

Great example of an imaginative deal

He'd have a Fernandes level impact on our team.

laughtersassassin

Well by all reports it's going to get done once the CL is over. Not like Sancho to us where we are hanging onto hope but by most reports the deal isn't very close at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Thiago is an imaginative deal, now I'm confused? Does imaginative means not english in that context?

Mainoldo

I’m confused? So who’s fault is that? In Jose’s last season the money was capped.. if the claim is the same now. Then we could get Thiago if we liked but as we all can see the budget is going towards Sancho. I mean we can’t have it both ways.

norm87cro

We effectivly bought AWB, James and Bruno for about 100 mil in the last year. Lukaku's transfer was used to buy Maguire

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Sign the position that we need not trying to secure any good deals and ignoring what we actually need, it's the same strategy we have done it in the past when we choose not to spend big on Van Dijk but go peanut on Lindelof & ageing midfielder Matic & supposedly good deal left winger Sanchez when we already had Martial & Rashford.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm thinking more about Sancho and maybe one other first team player. We need depth though or next year will be a shit show given our schedule

no playing kids in the Europa League to fall back on
Transfer window closes in October, season starts in a month for us as we are likely to receive an extra break due to us progressed to semi final Europa League and we are linked with Sancho & Brooks. Two first team players, one for regular XI and one for depth. I suggest we should just wait rather than create a new thread now.

romufc

We effectivly bought AWB, James and Bruno for about 100 mil in the last year. Lukaku's transfer was used to buy Maguire
This is what I have been saying, we do not have the money. We have £70m net to spend, we have used £50m of it in January to sign Bruno.

Fans convinced that we will pay £100m for Sancho, I have no idea where this is coming from, all the stories, news from around the club seems to me that we are using Sancho as a smoke screen for other transfers.

We are in for a tough tough market.

All the nonsense about more to spend because of CL, we cannot carry out simple business in the window. There are decent players available and we keep going for transfers that are hard to do.

dove

People are still crying about us not spending enough money? Our issue is not the lack of spending but how we spend it. £110m for Sancho is a lot of money and pretty much every single expensive player we bought in recent years didn't live up to expectations or simply flopped. The myth of "Glazernomics" is funny and to be fair we might have been in a better shape if it was really a thing as maybe we would have spent the money more wisely instead of throwing it away for mediocre players.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why am I seeing Thiago's name? :confused:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We have spent about 800m in the last 7 years.

I have my own issues with the glazer scum but giving money to our managers isn't one of them. All our managers have been backed very well. It's been wasted mostly that's been the biggest issue.

The debt is why I despise them not for not giving managers transfer funds as they have done.

Who spent more than United during last season? And we didn't even have CL football to help finance it.

Our season ended a few days ago. Window is open for another 6 to 8 weeks. Relax.

KevinJoh

Well it is obvious that with current setup we will always be slow in the transfer market. We obviously don't trust our scouts, and even if they find some good player we won't sign those except maybe for U18 team. In the last 6-7 years, you can say our scouting brought us Dalot as maybe unknown player for low fee, and Daniel James. Although I am not sure if Dalot was Jose friends tip and James Giggs tip, and if scouts has anything to do with it.

It is weird when they are talking about scouting for AWB. Like they scouted 300 players and ended up with the best defensive RB in the league for 50m, that you could ask anyone about. You would expect scouts will bring you one or two 20 years old players that have potential to kick asses. We don't do that anymore, not at least since Fergi left. Maybe now with this kid Stevanovic is different.

Also, when negotiating about transfers it is ridiculous slow. It is like those lads whose job is have never done that in football. Like they are selling and buying some software or furniture and think they can negotiate price like that. Also, looks like that is not primary job, so usually they spend days or weeks between on holiday or doing something else. And doing one transfer at the time. Weird. You would think they learned something in last 7 years, but no, everything the same as it was.

Ole spoke about talking with former players and people of trust about signings. So, it looks like scouts are not doing any job if he doesn't have that even before deciding on his first and second level of targets.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Such a weird thread. People already start mentioning names as well and some already look lost. The purposed of this thread is only moaning not discussing because we haven't sign one this window.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People are still crying about us not spending enough money? Our issue is not the lack of spending but how we spend it. £110m for Sancho is a lot of money and pretty much every single expensive player we bought in recent years didn't live up to expectations or simply flopped. The myth of "Glazernomics" is funny and to be fair we might have been in a better shape if it was really a thing as maybe we would have spent the money more wisely instead of throwing it away for mediocre players.
Speaking about that. Haven't we already done the strengthening the squad strategy when we purchased Martial, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Memphis, Darmian and Romero in a singles summer it didn't actually improve the team. And the previous summer was similar.

gorky_utd

I have my own issues with the glazer scum but giving money to our managers isn't one of them. All our managers have been backed very well. It's been wasted mostly that's been the biggest issue.

The debt is why I despise them not for not giving managers transfer funds as they have done.

Who spent more than United during last season? And we didn't even have CL football to help finance it.

Our season ended a few days ago. Window is open for another 6 to 8 weeks. Relax.
It is difficult to praise the owners. The glazers and woodward are both business men. They will invest to make top 4 for UCL money. I am not sure the financial gain from a 4th position to 1st position is that significant. Everybody knows that with 3 4 good signing, we should be able to challenge but so far the club doesn't look like interested in taking the next step. Pretty sure arsenal also spend big last summer with the hope that it would make them a guaranteed top 4 side. Anyway there is still time but the chances are slim at the moment.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's a footballer and this is a transfer thread. Not sure why you're confused.
Sure. Using a player Liverpool hasn't sign as a indicator of how we should be doing business makes total sense. It's so obvious now!

Mainoldo

Sign the position that we need not trying to secure any good deals and ignoring what we actually need, it's the same strategy we have done it in the past when we choose not to spend big on Van Dijk but go peanut on Lindelof & ageing midfielder Matic & supposedly good deal left winger Sanchez when we already had Martial & Rashford.
You re-writing history again. When did Van Dijk have anything to do with the rest. Also since when was £30m on a CB in 2017 cheap?

oz insomniac

There’s a stark difference between an investor and an owner, not sure what to make of the story that Joel Glazer is firmly against the fee and wages required for Sancho. Contrast that with the Speed and outlays made by the likes of a Citeh and Chekski with the dreaded owners.

Looks like a tough window to negotiate for a high value player with Glazers in the background.

EwanI Ted

The usual complaints from fans desperate for new signings, making assumptions based on random unsubstantiated tweets. All fun and games, but not to be taken seriously and certainly not sufficient to judge the club on. The earliest you can judge a transfer window is when it ends, not before.

Also, OP seems to complain that "Glazernomics" means we won't be buying 4 new players, before then complaining that we spend too much money on players when there are cheaper options out there? Are we spending too much, or not enough? Not clear.

Mainoldo

There’s a stark difference between an investor and an owner, not sure what to make of the story that Joel Glazer is firmly against the fee and wages required for Sancho. Contrast that with the Speed and outlays made by the likes of a Citeh and Chekski with the dreaded owners.

Looks like a tough window to negotiate for a high value player with Glazers in the background.
I agree. But the fact that no one else is doing it probably gives everyone their answer. The money isn’t there for it.

romufc

We need to get rid of a lot of deadwood fast before we can bring players in.
Do you trust this board to get rid of the deadwood ?

If that does happen, do you then trust them to bring players in?

Imagine getting rid of Smalling, Rojo, Dalot, Perreira, Mata and then having 1 player sign?

That actually makes us worse because there was parts of the season we needed those guys, not because they good enough but its just another pair of legs.

DevilRed

Agree with this. The glazers have "allowed" us to spend big sums in the transfer market over the years.

But the counter argument is that we could be spending THE MOST money EVERY YEAR if we didn't have to be saddled by their debt. Obviously thats in an ideal world that doesn't exist.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You re-writing history again. When did Van Dijk have anything to do with the rest. Also since when was £30m on a CB in 2017 cheap?
If you don't think Van Dijk has anything to do with it then you are missing the point. Spend whatever the money on what we need the most first before try to use the money on the ones we don't need the most just because it was a good deal.

We are desperate for centre back and it was the biggest issue we had, Van Dijk was available in 2017 but we chose to spend peanut on much less quality and spent most of the money on others that we already had cover. 30m for CB is not much in 2017 market, Stones cost 50m and it was in 2016!

padzilla

Hipster
I think it's clear if we don't make a few improvements, at the very least, and go in to the new season with much the same squad we can't reasonably expect to challenge at the highest level.

laughtersassassin

If we have a similar summer to when Jose cam second and only.sign one first team player we can expect to stagnate or regress but unfortunately for Ole that isn't acceptable no matter the summer so he needs to ensure the Glazers back him.

Everyone else is making moves to improve.

romufc

I was told a week ago to be patient and not panic.

I am growing more frustrated now, fans are making excuses for the club whilst other clubs are negotiating deals.

It is the usual every year.

We are still playing games, wait till the season finishes
Oh the transfer window hasn't opened, wait till it does
We are still in Europa league, wait till that finishes
Transfer window open till October, long way to go - Look at our fixtures, we need time to gel players in.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It never ceases to amaze me how so many of our fans go insane throughout the duration of a transfer window.

Stop reading transfer tweets if you can't take them for what they are - nonsense.

dove

I was told a week ago to be patient and not panic.

I am growing more frustrated now, fans are making excuses for the club whilst other clubs are negotiating deals.

It is the usual every year.

We are still playing games, wait till the season finishes
Oh the transfer window hasn't opened, wait till it does
We are still in Europa league, wait till that finishes
Transfer window open till October, long way to go - Look at our fixtures, we need time to gel players in.
What makes you think we are not negotiating deals? Also nobody is making any excuses just some people realise its not FIFA and us not spending money on players is a myth based on absolutely nothing.

buckooo1978

Thiago is an imaginative deal, now I'm confused? Does imaginative means not english in that context?
Maybe in our context given that our signings apart from Fernandes have all been recommended/previous links

was thinking more imaginative in a context of what he could do for our team and he's a player I wouldn't have thought was available