Our window isn’t the great success many claim

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Poch wouldn't either if his last year with spuds and PSG is anything to go by.
Let see how he does at chelsea :). If anything to go by at spurs and psg, then He would have. still no manager has done better since his time at those clubs.
Not very well hehe.
you don’t know who you are replying to :) . Anyway, I m sure some of you guys want to go off topic, so I will not respond to any other post that is off topic. Especially to my personal stalker

JimiboyX

How this window is remembered depends a huge amount on how Hojlund turns out.

Could easily go down as the summer we needed a top class striker and a top class centre mid to support Casemiro, but instead gambled on a kid with 9 goals and a Chelsea reject who clearly didn't fit in. The same summer Kane was on the market too.

The Onana move doesn't seem unreasonable right now, but could also contribute if he ends up getting lobbed from 40 yards enough times for a youtube compilation.

Jezpeza

Dire summer to be fair. Takeover stalling hasnt helped.

we needed an upgrade at gk, rb, deeper midfield and striker. We got a keeper and potentially a striker who fit that bill but i think Hojlund is a few years from his best yet.

dont actually have any expectations for this season - we’ll do very well to finish top 4 again

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Shite window and it started by blowing too much on mount - who doesn’t improve us.
Replacing DDG is the only positive. We look worse after spending big though.
Well as you say, we've only vastly improved on our goalkeeper on last season

Our defence is exactly the same, our midfield is arguably worse off, and our forward options is better in theory with Hojlund, but still largely unproven.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s ludicrous to come to the realisation that we actually miss Weghorst. It’s a fecking ridiculous realisation to have, but here we are.

Weghorst was never in a million years good enough for United, but Martial isn’t fit to play, Hojlund isn’t fit to play, and we cannot otherwise shape a team that will get the most out of Rashford. We have nobody in the squad currently to act as an attacking pivot and link the forward line to the midfield.

This has got to be addressed by the end of the window. You’ve got to get another centre forward in with the right skillset. I’m watching Kane’s assist for Sane today and can only dream about having someone in the squad who can do that basic shit well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It’s ludicrous to come to the realisation that we actually miss Weghorst. It’s a fecking ridiculous realisation to have, but here we are.

Weghorst was never in a million years good enough for United, but Martial isn’t fit to play, Hojlund isn’t fit to play, and we cannot otherwise shape a team that will get the most out of Rashford. We have nobody in the squad currently to act as an attacking pivot and link the forward line to the midfield.

This has got to be addressed by the end of the window. You’ve got to get another centre forward in with the right skillset. I’m watching Kane’s assist for Sane today and can only dream about having someone in the squad who can do that basic shit well.
Surely there's an old wily veteran knocking around?

What's Nicolas Anelka up to these days?

croadyman

Any suggestions of what we can do in the next couple of weeks to somewhat rescue this once promising looking window are welcome

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If this latest loss puts an urgency on the board to get another midfielder alongside Casemiro, I’d take todays trash performance in a heartbeat.

Dominos

Came to post this. We’ve gone backwards somehow.
To be fair, we should be used to this. Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole have all followed the same pattern of getting us top 4 and then going backwards.

Ole added Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo to a side that finished 2nd and took us backwards.

Bit early to say we've gone backwards after 2 games to be fair. Though I don't understand this Mount signing at all. We need to get lucky on Hojlund hitting the ground running or we're in trouble. A good midfielder needs bringing in before the window closes.

And let's be honest, our fans massively overrated us last season. We were hanging on for dear life to horrible 1-0 wins most weeks, our points total and xPTS were nothing we haven't seen before under previous (failed) managers who also got top 4.

L1nk

It’s a complete failure in the sense of what it could of nearly been yes

Onana
Mount
Hojlund

Only sales of note are Fred and Elanga

For this window to be a success the rumours and reports that were swirling until this week needed to come to fruition, meaning

Onana
Mount
Hojlund
New Midfielder (Amrabat, Thuram)
New Attacking Player/Winger
New CB cover

Sales
Elanga
Fred
DVB
Henderson
McTominay
Maguire

We’re clearly in sell to buy mode but can’t even get rid of anyone now

croadyman

It’s a complete failure in the sense of what it could of nearly been yes

Onana
Mount
Hojlund

Only sales of note are Fred and Elanga

For this window to be a success the rumours and reports that were swirling until this week needed to come to fruition, meaning

Onana
Mount
Hojlund
New Midfielder (Amrabat, Thuram)
New Attacking Player/Winger
New CB cover

Sales
Elanga
Fred
DVB
Henderson
McTominay
Maguire

We’re clearly in sell to buy mode but can’t even get rid of anyone now
Looking at the first couple of games I think we actually need more than one midfielder

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
At least I didnt back a failed manager even though I told you ole wasn’t the right manager to take us forward. You can try 1000 times, you will never prove me wrong my personal stalker.:)
How you are not banned is beyond me.

I back a manager because I want them to do well, just like I'll back EtH, I don't back then because I want to be proved right or I want an accolade on an internet forum.
I'll leave that to rather sad and lacklustre individuals such as yourself.

Or did you back Poch when he failed at PSG for similar reasons? :wenger:

Mercurial

Looking at the first couple of games I think we actually need more than one midfielder
We went from hardworking but limited McFred + Casemiro mid to a Swiss cheese one. If we plug the hole in mid we're good, but who to buy and who to drop? EtH will never go 442 or diamond mid.

Josep Dowling

Yep, Mount was a disaster signing. Should never have pumped £60m into him as our first signing. Priority was always Striker, GK and then CM and Mount is none of these. Heck even a back up striker was required more than Mount, then replacing Maguire, then a RB. To spend that much money as our first signing of the season when Kane was available, and subsequently sold by Spurs, was unbelievable.

Ten Hag has royally messed that one up, the midfield is now unbalanced and he will spend half of the season trying to make it work. When it doesn’t he then has to shoe horn players into unnatural positions. It’s how United has been run for 10 years now. How can every single United manager post Fergie continue to make that mistake. Find a system and identify 11 players which play your system, it’s really not that hard.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
So we have a front three of Antony, Sancho and Mount which is £200m of absolute duff?

It's almost difficult to be that bad in all honesty

AFC NimbleThumb

Funny you say this.

I was watching Mount run round aimlessly yesterday & thought, we should have just kept Wout & relied on the ghost of Eriksen :lol:

The Onana transfer has saved this window like the Martinez one did last seasons but the sooner we let EtH coach & supply players for him to do so the better.

It’s understandable things won’t be perfect after only 1 full season but yesterday as with too many times last season our best players, Marcus & Bruno, didn’t actually play in their best positions. That shouldn’t be the case at this stage in the project for me & a big reason for it is the money spent on Antony & Mount.

Redstain

So we have a front three of Antony, Sancho and Mount which is £200m of absolute duff?

Again goes back to the director of football. There are posts with paragraphs of support for Murtough. All of them are based on senseless claims with no substantial evidence to support his credibility in his role. The club once again have overindulged the manager and now there's this hybrid position of a manager / coach / director all rolled into one responsibility.

When you contrast the signings overmars made the more limited resources of Ajax, the refined roles of the individuals in the more exec positions caused the hierarchy to be more diligent in their planning. Therefore the success rate of the players acquired is significantly higher proportional to their value increasing. Then when managers come to United all goes astray because of the dysfunction in the hierarchy.

So now on paper United have a director of football and all the right pieces but when you assess the influence of the decisions being made it's the same model as when SAF was in charge. Worst run big club in Europe there's no defending the level of incompetence. The results only compound the issue, because even if the team was successful the structure is not sustainable.

United Hobbit

Unfortunately I think the dire performances are going to sway the club's hand in bringing Voldemort back into the fold

It shouldn't, and i can't unhear what was shared, but at a time we are struggling for goals and with the completely unreliable Martial not having been replaced we are down to Hojlund. If he gets injured I can imagine Voldemort being wheeled out...

Hughie77

Mount , wasn't the answer somehow ETH thinks he is? Maybe it will be after a while . It won't be until we can get some one which takes there chances in front of goal.. ETH banged on about playing without the ball last season...well first two games it's been rubbish?? So who does he think we need to make it better?

We cannot get rid of McTominay unless he brings in another CM, EtH was reluctant to bring him on at Spurs? Because he's a stubborn Manager and if he persists with this Midfield he's fecked.. spurs played with 2 wrecking balls that's it they ran ran ran and tackled gave it simple...

Transfer market Onana is the best signing so far , but unless we control games from the front i think that's what ETH is looking to do, the balance isn't there yet maybe when all players are available it will change, and our best transfer could well be a player who's already here??

Son

I’m scared for Hojlund honestly. I mean the odds of him been the level needed or even reaching the level are slim.

Such a strange transfer all round. We needed solid footballers like a backup DM and a striker with experience. Mitrovic or Taremi for example…

We need to score goals so bought a kid who has barely played to lead the line in the hardest league on the planet?

Basically a youth team player. Madness. Now the pressure is on him to deliver immediately. Great work scouts.

I can’t imagine them bringing Voldemort back into the side to help him. If the club has any sense they’ll bin that clown the moment they can so Hojland it is…

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Again goes back to the director of football. There are posts with paragraphs of support for Murtough. All of them are based on senseless claims with no substantial evidence to support his credibility in his role. The club once again have overindulged the manager and now there's this hybrid position of a manager / coach / director all rolled into one responsibility.

When you contrast the signings overmars made the more limited resources of Ajax, the refined roles of the individuals in the more exec positions caused the hierarchy to be more diligent in their planning. Therefore the success rate of the players acquired is significantly higher proportional to their value increasing. Then when managers come to United all goes astray because of the dysfunction in the hierarchy.

So now on paper United have a director of football and all the right pieces but when you assess the influence of the decisions being made it's the same model as when SAF was in charge. Worst run big club in Europe there's no defending the level of incompetence. The results only compound the issue, because even if the team was successful the structure is not sustainable.
Good post

Godfather

Agreed. Also shows how weak of a character this Murthough seems to be.

Godfather

I’m scared for Hojlund honestly. I mean the odds of him been the level needed or even reaching the level are slim.
He can't be worse than the other options we have up front bar Martial who's never fit

Godfather

At least Antony makes things happen from time to time but he's still way too raw for the money we paid for him. The other two though... Lost for words

buckooo1978

The lack of sales as usual has been the worst aspect of the window

there was a time it looked like we were going to be moving on Maguire, Henderson, VDB, McTominay, Bailly and Williams

Its too early to write off players - I think our system has been the big issue so far. Onana looks an instant upgrade but we need to give players time. I fear for Hojlund as some fans are going to have an unrealistic expectation of him.

Another sale or two would be great and, whilst we're not privy to United's finances and FFP factors, if we dont sign another defensively minded midfielder it will be scandalous

DoctorPepper

Think the club basically needs a Todd-Boehly-style reset once the Qataris finalize the deal. A squad this expensive and full of players who are supposed to be in the prime of their careers should not look like they are still 5 players away from competing. Onana is probably the only one who can get into the City starting XI at the moment.

RedorDead21

At least Antony makes things happen from time to time but he's still way too raw for the money we paid for him. The other two though... Lost for words
At least Antony has had a year to prove himself…mount has had 2 games on the back of an entirely poor season. They both equally need to step up for the manager or likely as not he won’t get a third season.

crossy1686

career ending
At least Antony has had a year to prove himself…mount has had 2 games on the back of an entirely poor season. They both equally need to step up for the manager or likely as not he won’t get a third season.
Mount, Champions League winner, twice Chelsea's player of the season, English born and bred, Premier League regular, should be hitting the ground running, there is no time to bed in for a guy who moved from London to Manchester. The problem is he's doing exactly what he's done for the last two seasons, feck all.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I have no problem with the players we signed. We just need more. I'm confident we will get a midfielder in and probably a striker if Martial goes.

JimiboyX

The lack of sales as usual has been the worst aspect of the window

there was a time it looked like we were going to be moving on Maguire, Henderson, VDB, McTominay, Bailly and Williams
We sit on players for far too long when they’re clearly not working out until we end up selling them for knack all. See: Fred. Zero ruthlessness.

And everyone else you have mentioned. Should get reasonable money for Henderson but he’s on a ludicrous contract which continues to offset that the longer we leave it.

Dan James and Garner were rare examples of how it should be done. Possibly Elanga although the fee he went for felt a bit low.

Last edited:

buckooo1978

We sit on players for far too long when they’re clearly not working out until we end up selling them for knack all. See: Fred. Zero ruthlessness.

And everyone else you have mentioned. Should get reasonable money for Henderson but he’s on a ludicrous contract which continues to offset that the longer we leave it.

Dan James and Garner were rare examples of how it should be done. Possibly Elantra although the fee he went for felt a bit low.
I dont think there's any indication Henderson goes anywhere. There's a lack of reported interest in most of the players.

Media rumours about Martial most likely nonsense

Paqueta not leaving West Ham so no McTominay

Rumours of Donny

Can't see any suitors for Maguire barring an injury or two at a club he deludedly feels is at his level

My main hope is we have some Saudi interest in a couple of them