Our youngsters. Who will make it?

dbryan

Didn't know really where to post this.

Anyway I am not someone who is familiar with the reserves and under 18's etc.

I have heard and have seen a little of Chong, Greenwood etc (PSG away). But was just wondering who you guys think will be the ones to make it through at United if any?

I am a fan of United but just want to hear from fans who know what they are talking about (as I have no idea when it comes to our youngsters)

Who do you guys think will make it, who has the talent and the drive do you reckon?

Thanks

JMack1234

People in the game same that Greenwood is a player who is almost too good not to make it.

Dante

Average bang
I've said this before, but:

McTominay
Greenwood
Tuanzebe

Unfortunately, I don't think the following will make it:
Pereira
TFM
Chong
Gomes

Remember the geese

Is this the guy that they say is the next Micheal Carrick?
The guy you are thinking of is James Garner. Similar type of player to Carrick, but with a bit more bite. He has a very good chance of making it. Mason Greenwood is the star of our academy. Immense natural ability. Comfortable in all forward positions and an incredibly rounded skill set. Very mature. Angel Gomes in terms of natural talent is right up there too. Technically brilliant and lots of flair. May need to be a bit patient due to his physique. Tahith Chong is a player that casual watchers may be aware of as he has a reputation for being a potential star, but personally I'm a little unsure of his potential. He has frightening pace and is very direct, but seems to lack the subtlety, composure and intelligence that the other players I've mentioned exhibit. Ethan Laird is a very talented young right back and someone who can really challenge Diogo Dalot in the future.

Other players worth keeping an eye on in my opinion are Brandon Williams, Lee O'Connor, Dylan Levitt and Teden Mengi. Brandon in particular is a real United player through and through. He plays with such heart and drive and I'd love to see him given a shot at some stage.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

wolvored

A mate of mine says Greenwood looks better than any striker ( Rashford Welbeck Wilson Keane)we have had in the last 12 years he has followed reserve football, so on his judgement I will say Greenwood.

The Nani

Greenwood, Gomes, Garner, Laird, Tuanzebe, O'Connor and Henderson.

They may not all be first XI players, but all should have a role to play for years to come.

Do worry Henderson might wanna leave for first team football if he doesn't get a proper shot at being the #1 keeper though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Garner is like Carrick but without being one of the most natural playmakers england has ever produced
:D

My guess is Greenwood, obviously McTominay is well on his way and I think Chong will get chances next season and I hope he takes to it. Not sure about the rest.

Fridge chutney

The Caf is hilarious. Most of the past 1.5 years we've had to put up with people spouting utter nonsense about McTominay, and now there's widespread acceptance that he'll make it? Just shows that these things are difficult to predict, even if a youngster struggles to begin with.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The Caf is hilarious. Most of the past 1.5 years we've had to put up with people spouting utter nonsense about McTominay, and now there's widespread acceptance that he'll make it? Just shows that these things are difficult to predict, even if a youngster struggles to begin with.
If you are referring to me, then you'll find it hilarious that I've always stuck up for him on here. And I also credit Jose for giving him his chance. He very recently praised his huge performance against Barca.

Fridge chutney

If you are referring to me, then you'll find it hilarious that I've always stuck up for him on here. And I also credit Jose for giving him his chance. He very recently praised his huge performance against Barca.
I am not referring to you. It's a general observation. Reading about McTominay on this forum over the past 1.5 years has been cringeworthy (and if you were defending him during that time, I imagine you'd agree).

OldRed1

I am not referring to you. It's a general observation. Reading about McTominay on this forum over the past 1.5 years has been cringeworthy (and if you were defending him during that time, I imagine you'd agree).
Totally agree. I just looked up his performance page and the shite that was spouted about him on a pre-season game was unbelievable.

In Rainbows

Make it: Greenwood, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Garner

We'll see. It's incredibly hard to predict these types of things. Those are my four favorites though.

OohAahMartial

The hard part about this is it is not just down to the player's ability. Luck plays a huge part, such as an opening in the first team, an injury crisis that gives them enough first team games to develop. Lucky loans where they get played and don't have managers constantly switched. Don't themselves get injured, especially serious ones. That they physically develop sufficiently, in height, strength, and pace.

It's due to this that some very talented players like Gomes might not make it, while McTominay does.

Greenwood looks the most likely to make it. Physically and mentally ready.

Tuanzebe might get a chance due to having found a good loan and us having so many defenders that need clearing out due to being sicknotes or not good enough.

Henderson seems unlikely to me, even if De Gea does go, as we have Romero and may even buy someone like Oblak to replace De Gea.

Garner desperately needs minutes, maybe he will be loaned out, but we are likely to buy CM and DM so his opportunities in the future may be too limited.

I would like to see Laird and Brandon given an opportunity, but doesn't seem likely and again we might be buying in someone who blocks their path.

Players like Rashford had the luck of injuries in the first team, a manager who trusted youth, and took his opportunities well.

Ekeke

Gomes and Greenwood as squad players, maybe first backups in their positions. Chong maybe as a backup squad player. The rest mostly going onto championship clubs with a few who get a chance at premier league clubs.

Wazza4Gaffa

Greenwood (Star in the making whether it's here or elsewhere he just has the 'it' factor)
Tuanzebe (Entirely dependent on if we keep the deadwood CB's like Rojo, Jones, Smalling etc)
Garner (Rated highly by the coaching staff and as long as Ole, Carrick, McKenna and co are at the club, he will make it)

The rest of the youngsters are too far from the first team to consider their potential at the club or have the same build as an oompa loompa.

CA_vampire

Those who work very very hard.

Talent is only the beginning of the story. The problem is that they need to keep working very hard for many years.

Wazza4Gaffa

To be honest being good enough is only half of it at this club and the other half comes from opportunity which nobody can really predict

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Other than rashford which still could become our next welbeck.

I doubt any of would made it.

Not a pessimists but it really takes a lot of luck, hardwork, fate to made it at manchester united.

All these years we had fantasy lineups where : cbj, donald love, tfm, macheda are all touted to be our next new line of united co92 but the last player who really considered made it is darren fletcher and lately rashford and lingard.

Too early, mct is good against barcelona but he has many of those meh performances as well. Martial is a good example, european golden boy and now we're still split on what he'll become.

In 2-3 years time i doubt gomez laird chong will made it

jesperjaap

To be honest being good enough is only half of it at this club and the other half comes from opportunity which nobody can really predict
Yes, opportunities, mentality, injuries etc etc.....lot more than ability and its a big step up. Who knows who will make it when we think back to Perreira, Januzaj, Will Keane, Ravel Morrison. I bet pretty much every premiership has the next big thing, which rearely they are. Players like Harry Kane at Spurs were not the star youth players, you just really dont know who will develop.

Not seen much of the current crop, I thought Fosuh Mensah could be a top centre back.......but seems every club loaned him to and us tried to turn him into a right back? The little I have seen I would say Greenwood looks really exciting and from little I have seen as enthusiastic as he looks....so far not seen anything excites me about Chong

AndyJ1985

If we were at the level we want to be...probably one or two would be suitable squad players.

At our current level...probably half a dozen will make it as "local lads who try hard"

-Supreme-

I’d doubt many knew about rashford and mctominay and expected them to break through the first team squad back then so this tells you that it isn’t as straight forward as it appears to be as everyone just select those ‘obvious’ youth players that we talk about on here

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Henderson looks like he’ll easily be a PL standard goalkeeper in a year or two. Might even be one now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I’d doubt many knew about rashford and mctominay and expected them to break through the first team squad back then so this tells you that it isn’t as straight forward as it appears to be as everyone just select those ‘obvious’ youth players that we talk about on here
Most knew about Rashford and his talent but if anyone is claiming that they thought McTominay would make it after watching reserves and youth football are just lying. One of the biggest surprise from the academy ever.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You can never be 100% sure with any youngster. As the poster above me says, Morrison was supposed to be nailed on to make it here, he was thought to be better than Pogba at youth level and look what happened.

I'd say Mason Greenwood has a 80-90% chance of making it here. Garner and Gomes with a bit of luck can make it here as well. Henderson will be a PL GK( probably as early as next season) but whether he can be no. 1 here depends on a lot of external circumstances. Other than these, Tuanzebe and Laird probably have the best chance but it's very hard to judge a young defender as you never know at what rate they'll mature.

Not counting McTominay here as he's already had a decent amount of 1st team appearances.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The problem is they're all getting overhyped. Greenwood is a great talent but to listen to some on here you'd think he's Fat Ronaldo incarnate already. None of them have made it yet. If I had to guess I'd say Greenwood, Gomes and a wildcard like Brandon Williams. But it could all easily go the other way for any of them, the hype is too much, good and bad.

In the age group below I imagine Shoretire will be the next to be hyped up ready to be knocked down when he has a low moment.

-Supreme-

Most knew about Rashford and his talent but if anyone is claiming that they thought McTominay would make it after watching reserves and youth football are just lying. One of the biggest surprise from the academy ever.
Genuine question...was Rashford touted the most (or one of the most) likely youth player to make it on here?

Bestietom

Tuanzebe
O'Connor
McTominay
Greenwood
Garner
Gomes

Not too sure about Chong. But I do think that these 6 players will make it over the next couple of years.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Genuine question...was Rashford touted the most (or one of the most) likely youth player to make it on here?
From his batch yes. Obviously nobody predicted that he would rise so quickly.

Mctominay was a player who wasn't in top10 to make it in his own batch!

Smores

The issue with these threads is the forecast is too long, before you ask who will make it we need to look at who will get 5+ starts next season.
Every intake is always predicted to be the one that will break the trend of it being rare to step up into seniors.

-Supreme-

From his batch yes. Obviously nobody predicted that he would rise so quickly.

Mctominay was a player who wasn't in top10 to make it in his own batch!
Thanks.

Mctominay has really shocked me the most and I'm happy to be proven wrong, I don't remember I have ever witnessed a Utd player that has managed to turn it around to the level he's currently operating at within this short timeframe.

Let's hope he maintains this level as he'd be a great addition to the squad and potential replacement for Herrera. Perfectly in-line to Ole's transfer strategy and vision by bringing in more young and hungry players.

Jacob

I've said this before, but:

McTominay
Greenwood
Tuanzebe

Unfortunately, I don't think the following will make it:
Pereira
TFM
Chong
Gomes
Agreed. Gomes isn't built for modern, you have to be exceptionally good to compensate for that size of a body.