Outfield players going in goal

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
This rarely happens anymore but back when you only got one sub it was a fun part of the game. I remember seeing David Platt go in goal for Villa at Arsenal and he did pretty well. Who have you seen put on the gloves?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
John O'Shea is the obvious one.

Seem to remember Phil Jagielka doing it too but I could be wrong.

Orestetes

I seem to remember Rio Ferdinand playing in goal for us once as well.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Has it happened in big games like Cup Finals or tournaments?
Jackie Blanchflower for Manchester United. An Fa Cup final in 1957. He was filling in for Ray Wood.
In 1964, Pele was in goal for a semi final Brazillian game against Gremio

Orestetes

The Rio Ferdinand one was in a FA Cup quarter final against Portsmouth. That game ruined a potential treble for us in the 07-08 season.

Paul_Scholes18

Walker this season is the most recent one. When did it last happen in the PL? Was it Oshea or is there other times after him?

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm pretty sure big man went in goal for Chelsea once.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
O'Shea making a one-on-one save vs Robbie Keane was a great moment

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Kyle Walker for City was the most recent one I can remember. It's always worth a giggle when it happens.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Pretty sure Bravo had to go in goal for City a few times. Ended pretty, pretty badly.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mladen Petric saved a penalty once.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
One of the most bizarre instances involves Alain Giresse (scintillating offensive midfielder from the Platini era who finished 2nd in the 1982 Ballon D'Or but all of 5'4") playing as a proper “outfield goalkeeper” because Claude Bez, the president of Bordeaux, was protesting a one-year ban against the nominal starter.

Bordeaux shipped in 5 goals by the 58th minute mark (when Giresse was replaced with Antoine Martínez)... :lol:

Gazza

Phil Jagiela did it at least once for Sheffield Utd, including in a 1-0 win over Arsenal.

Leeds at Old Trafford around 1996, had Lucas Radebe in goal after their keeper got sent off, I believe.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Jagielka was very good, Sheffield United regularly didn't put a reserve keeper on the bench if he was playing.

Niall Quinn also went in goal for Sunderland once.

More subs have basically killed this off happening unless a keeper pulls up when you've made three subs which is very rare.

Even rarer is when a keeper is actually played upfront, I can only remember Stuart Pearce doing that with David James.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Yup, Terry in the game Cech got his nasty head injury:

Rio penalty in FA cup v Portsmouth Classic:

poleglass red

Seem to recall vinnie Jones playing in goals for Wimbledon once, might have been v newcastle

Red Stone

Felipe Melo saving a penalty and being a mad bastard in general. What a legend.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
One of the most bizarre instances involves Alain Giresse (scintillating offensive midfielder from the Platini era who finished 2nd in the 1982 Ballon D'Or but all of 5'4") playing as a proper “outfield goalkeeper” because Claude Bez, the president of Bordeaux, was protesting a one-year ban against the nominal starter.

Bordeaux shipped in 5 goals by the 58th minute mark (when Giresse was replaced with Antoine Martínez)... :lol:

How have I never heard about this! Judging by this video, Tresor spent most of the time in goal while Giresse was running around :lol:

Imagine if GKs could play outfield :lol:

What position do you think some of them would play?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Steve Staunton went in goal for us once back in the day and was probably our best goalkeeper of the 90s based on his performance.

I’m sure we put someone like Kevin Pilkington on as a sub and he played up top for a few mins, so we had two keepers on the pitch.

no idea against who, or even if it really happened..?

lsd

The Oracle
Not an outfield player going in goal but for me nothing will beat stuart pearce deciding in a game Man City needed to win to qualify for Europe that moving David James upfront would be the solution.

Apparently he felt his strikers fowler and Jon Mackin were never going to score so left Mackin on the bench put on another keeper to play in goal and moved James upfront .

James actually won a penalty which off course fowler missed and city missed out on Europe . Great days :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Happened in the Scottish Cup Final, as recent as in 2000 when Aberdeen's Jim Leighton was injured after only a couple of minutes against Rangers. Only 3 subs so he was replaced by Robbie Winters who duly shipped 4.

Graham Roberts spent 80 minutes in goal in a mad Old Firm derby in 1987 - a league game that even has its own wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_F.C._2–2_Celtic_F.C._(1987)

Blackwidow

I remember that match from Frankfurt vs Bayern as I visited that in 1999.

Kuffour knocked Kahn out. Than the reserve keeper injured himself. Tarnat had to go into goal for 30 minutes. At that time it was 0:1 - at the end Bayern scored 2 goals and won with 2:1.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Imagine if GKs could play outfield :lol:

What position do you think some of them would play?
They can.

Peter Schmiechel would've been a fantastic targetman striker I reckon. Took the goals he scored pretty well.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Recently Dani Alves played a bit in goal in a cup game for PSG. He didn't have anything to do.

Sakho also had to step in a few years earlier and conceded a penalty.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I remember Lucas Radebe went in goal against us for Leeds for quite a large portion of the game at Old Trafford... I think around 70 minutes of the game actually.

We only won 1-0.