over 40s football

Tarrou

anyone partake?

I'm thinking of giving it a crack and I'm just wondering what the fitness levels and pace is like? I assume/hope its shite, because thats all I can manage

any other advice on how to prepare for this? I probably need to drop about 10 kilos, which obviously is never happening so serious suggestions only please

anyone partake?

I'm thinking of giving it a crack and I'm just wondering what the fitness levels and pace is like? I assume/hope its shite, because thats all I can manage

any other advice on how to prepare for this? I probably need to drop about 10 kilos, which obviously is never happening so serious suggestions only please

I started again at about 37 and loved it. Nothing gives the buzz like playing football at any level, so just don't be hard on yourself and expect too much, and don't wait for the never-never time when you're at peak fitness - it'll never come.
It's impossible to say what the standard will be but you almost certainly won't be the worst or most unfit. The older you get the wider the chasm from best to worst is on the pitch. If you start 5 a side, no doubt you'll have a few beasts who still spank it in and haven't learned basic rules of possession. They'll tell you they had trials for United when they were young and whether or not that's true they'll still be miles better than you. Then you'll have a few who are out of puff within 5 minutes and won't run at all after that. Even though they have a shocking touch and no idea what they're doing, they'll still end up with 7 goals because they won't move from within 5 yards of the oppo goal and they'll be given 100 sympathy chances by the up and down midfielders (the fittest lads) who who would rather assist like De Bruyne than do anything as distasteful as having a shot.

In the UK there's a group called Man Vs Fat Football. It's a bit of a novelty thing where you get weighed before each game and if you've lost you add a goal to the scoreline or something - I can never quite work out the calculations. I find the weight loss part annoying frankly but I found it was the best way to start playing again cause you can go on your own and be put on a team without needing 4 mates who are as equally keen on turning out in the Derbyshire rain every Monday night. There might be something similar near you.

I played in Derby and Notts for a couple of seasons and loved it, but injures took their toll. I'm looking to start again though, although I might see if I can find a team in Notts outside of the MvF games cause they're on a Friday.

There's also a great group in Chesterfield called Football for Foodbanks that raises money for foodbanks in that town. Again, the quality is hugely varied and because of the nature of the charity it's less competative than MvF can get.

This might all be over your head if you're in Australia but worth seeing if there's anything similar local to you.

Just do it - It'll be one of the best decisions you'll ever make, but just be sure to take your stretching seriously cause injuries come far, far easier than they used to and they're much harder to recover from.

Reactions: Rood
I've been playing in the 'same' 5, 6, or 7 a side depending on who turns up football game for about 25 years now, and I'm 45. So I guess it is an over-40's game since I'm playing in it, but it didn't used to be.

Over those 20 years, the participants have changed as people left the group and new ones joined. Actually I might well be the only original person left. But there are others who have been around for 15 or so years.

Our youngest player is a 16 year old lad (albeit be's about 6 foot 4) and our oldest is a 54 year old woman.

Unlike the previous two respondents, I do not stretch as much as I should. But I also spend the week between each game limping like a geriatric, just about recovering enough to play the next game. So they might be on to something...

Main answer though - go for it.

I'm 35 and I completely stopped all sports about 5 years ago. My knees are too fecked to take anymore chances. It's just not worth it.

they do have senior sides in Aus but I find the banter is just a bit bland compared to the UK and I could never get into it as much

anyway I'm considering moving back to the UK hence the thread, you just can't beat British non-league football banter and although it's been 20 years since i played there I still miss it and often think back to some truly hilarious moments

Start working on strengthening your lower body. Lots of single leg, multi directional stuff, hip, glutes and lower back/core stuff too. Fitness is the easiest part, I wouldn't worry too much about that before starting.

Just go and play and you will find out. Different leagues and games will be different standards.

My father does walking football, he's in his early 60s now. That sounds quite fun and I occasionally go to watch if I am leaving the gym while they are playing.

I had to stop my own football career after destroying my ankle falling down some stairs when drunk.

Go for it - once you are back into it you'll feel great.
I'm 61 and am still playing indoor 5-a-side every week which is much easier than 11-a-side on a full size pitch (less space to cover and it's not too cold!).
I did give up for a couple of years once and when I restarted it was a bit embarrassing as your head knew what to do but the body didn't transmit the right signals to my feet. My touch had deserted me and I was tripping over the ball etc. After a few weeks things became much easier fortunately.
I'd recommend warming up properly beforehand though as things don't work like they used to. My idea of warming up used to be switching on the heater in the car on the way there but now its half an hour on the exercise bike + stretches.
Also, refrain from overextending when tackling / blocking as I went over on my standing ankle quite a few times doing this. I bought a couple of ankle straps (the wrap around type) and it helped massively.
The youngsters today though don't seem to want to go to the pub afterwards to refuel and discuss how their 12th goal should have been disallowed as our goalie had nipped to the toilet / slipped on water from the leaking roof or it was definitely over head height.
Try and get on the same team as the guy who shouts for every decision (it's usually his ball too) as in the absence of a ref all the decisions seem to go his way.

Reactions: Rood
I'm still playing regularly and teaching the young whippersnappers a thing or three!

There are Amateur Veterans leagues nowadays (35+) and even some (45+) - although I tend to prefer small sided games

I'm 33 and still play 3 times a week to varying standard. As much as I love watching football there is absolutely nowt like playing, even to the standard I play. It's an addiction. Definitely go for it but advice would be warm up properly and take it seriously, and also try and go for a run a couple of times a week / couple of gym sessions will absolutely help.

I'm 33 and still play 3 times a week to varying standard. As much as I love watching football there is absolutely nowt like playing, even to the standard I play. It's an addiction. Definitely go for it but advice would be warm up properly and take it seriously, and also try and go for a run a couple of times a week / couple of gym sessions will absolutely help.

This thread is not for youngsters like you, come back in 10 years !

But I also used to play 3 times a week - now my body can only handle once or max twice with several days recovery time in between to get over the aches and pains

anyone partake?

Just HIIT it.

Nothing prepares you for football like playing football.

But interval training is the best other thing.

Just stand at the back, tell everyone else what to do and moan when they mess up attacks and double moan when they don't track back.

Literally everything in this post applies to me and my experiences and advice I'd give :lol: .

With regards to standards, there will be some ridiculous vets teams who've played at an extremely high level, so just make sure you ask what sort of teams you'll be playing against. Also make sure they're "win or lose, we'll have a booze", in the sense of they all stick around in a club house or the local pub after.

On the losing 10kg, it will come naturally with playing more and not over compensating in drink or food as you increase your energy expenditure. As people say, don't over do it too soon and just get consistent minutes and you can slowly build yourself back up to a level where you're not bothered about your weight!

This thread is not for youngsters like you, come back in 10 years !

But I also used to play 3 times a week - now my body can only handle once or max twice with several days recovery time in between to get over the aches and pains

:D:lol:

Literally everything in this post applies to me and my experiences and advice I'd give :lol: .

With regards to standards, there will be some ridiculous vets teams who've played at an extremely high level, so just make sure you ask what sort of teams you'll be playing against. Also make sure they're "win or lose, we'll have a booze", in the sense of they all stick around in a club house or the local pub after.

On the losing 10kg, it will come naturally with playing more and not over compensating in drink or food as you increase your energy expenditure. As people say, don't over do it too soon and just get consistent minutes and you can slowly build yourself back up to a level where you're not bothered about your weight!

:D shame you aren't around Bothwell man as we need some players for tomorrow night!

I absolutely agree on your point about guys sticking around and getting to know them a bit. Certainly find that helps a great amount. And yeah don't try too much at once and get into things in time and naturally.

:D:lol:

:D shame you aren't around Bothwell man as we need some players for tomorrow night!

I absolutely agree on your point about guys sticking around and getting to know them a bit. Certainly find that helps a great amount. And yeah don't try too much at once and get into things in time and naturally.
Think my wife might kill me if I ever made it a 4th day in the week for football :lol: .

I joined a team in London and they never stuck around after and it was miserable. They were a decent standard, so that was good, but it made it so much less enjoyable. The team I've been with since moving out of London has probably been the most fun I've had - even if I am the grandad in the changing room now. We're even off to Butlins for our end of season do.

Think my wife might kill me if I ever made it a 4th day in the week for football :lol: .

I joined a team in London and they never stuck around after and it was miserable. They were a decent standard, so that was good, but it made it so much less enjoyable. The team I've been with since moving out of London has probably been the most fun I've had - even if I am the grandad in the changing room now. We're even off to Butlins for our end of season do.

Aye same here, fiancee would be furious :lol:

You're right there, and nice! Things like that make all the difference, we've got a huge amount in the kitty so gonna sort a big Xmas do somewhere that should be a good cheap laugh.

Seconded my calf popped last week at 5 aside so am on the shelf till after Xmas most likely

Fecking sucks. I'm flying to Valencia on Friday morning to play for the Ireland masters (over 45) hockey team in a two match series against Spain this weekend (field hockey) Fair to say this hasn't been the best preparation!

yoga, wight-lifting and stretching seems to be the way forward

although as I'm lazy and none of that is gonna happen, I'm gonna go with the suggestion of standing and the back and moaning at everyone else for being shit

I'm 65 and still play 5 a side every week, and was playing 7 a side on a 1/3 pitch (ie across a normal pitch) until recently. It's great, but there are a few things to think about:
- do NOT stretch cold muscles. If you don't have time to warm up, it's better not to stretch. Cold muscles injure quickly, even from stretching, especially as you get older;
- change position as you slow down and lose stamina. I changed from being a winger to being a left-back to central defender as I got older. Still can defend against 30-year olds as long as they don't get a run at me (but if they do, I'm dead :D);
- good touch becomes more important as pace and stamina fade away. I play in California and often find myself facing 16 stone, 50-year old ex-professionals from South American leagues and I can't get near them. They don't move, but they run the game. It's fantastic to watch how good they are;
- depending on fitness, it is a good idea to prepare your body a bit before you start agin after a long break. Personally I like to walk up and down hills, because the common injuries for older guys are achilles tendon and knee (meniscus/ACL esp). Hill walking stretches your achilles and builds the muscle around your knee for support. Even if you just do it for a couple of weeks, it is worth it.

Old man football is great. Just go and play.

40s must be even worse, but I gave up football two years ago once I reached 30. The injuries I got in recent years were just not worth it anymore, as much as I like football. Losing two-three months of your life isn't the same now when you are adult in comparision when I was 23 and when that same injury cost me much less time to recover anyway.

Sprained ankle was the only injury I had up until 27, and in next three years I fecked up my knee, torn my muscle, and broke my big finger. Two of the last three injuries I nevered fully recovered from, and I waa furious last summer when I fecked up my summer holidays because of broken finger.

Nowadays I kick the ball with kids in my back yard and that's the most serious I get with football. Sorry for being negative and spoiling it for you, but I am sure some will agree.

Still playing 11-a-side once a week. If I'm feeling good come midweek, I'll also play 9-a-side then too.

Do you lift weights? I lift 3-4 times a week, and I'm certain this has been vital in helping me stay (relatively) injury free, maintain my speed/acceleration, and able to keep up with younger players.

Stretch (dynamic not static). When I was younger, I could jump cold straight into a match, but now I have to spend a good 15 minutes with dynamic stretches. Focus on the areas of your body where you have a weakness or pre-disposition to get an injury (for me it is calves and hips).

Hydrate properly. And not with just water - use one of those dissolvable electrolyte tablets. I used to keep getting recurring calf cramps/strains, until a physio suggested I was drinking too much water before playing and diluting the salts in my muscles as well as sweating them out. He suggested electrolytes before and during the games, and guess what, the moment I started doing that, I haven't had a single calf cramp or strain.

This one might be difficult if you have a post-game boozy culture, but I also gave up alcohol over 10 years ago and I believe this has also helped.

Last edited:
I got back into Vets league recently...love it. One of the best things is that although everyone is still competitive, you don't get as many tits as you did in Sat/Sun league and most blokes are older and wiser. You also don't have anyone snapping at your heels as soon as you receive the ball, which is a bonus!

anyone partake?

Yeah I’m planning on joining vets soon. Been playing 5-a-side every week for about 8 years and (injuries aside) am in quite good nick.

What could possibly go wrong……

I started at age 35 and stopped at age 60. I loved it. One of the most important things is finding a team with the right lads in it, meaning people who you will enjoy playing with. I only quit because it seemed to me as we all got older (including the teams we were playing) there started to be more aggro and more fights. Every game someone would lose their rag so i stopped because it was dragging me into it as well. Also we had noticed family and friends had stopped coming to watch because there was always some incident. It wasnt just the team I was in it was a problem all the older teams struggled with. Which brings me back to my first point, find a great set of lads to play with and you will absolutely love it. The only other bit of advice would be to try and get in a couple of runs a week to help with the fitness, it makes a difference to how well you can play, your first touch, your ability to reach passes etc.
Hope you find the right team and have fun with it.

I still play Saturdays and Sundays, and I am now classified a vet.

The level I play on Saturdays has dropped by one league but it's still only a couple of leagues from paid non league football, whereas the Vets football i play on Sundays is a lot more easy going but none the less competitive and enjoyable.
Vets football in the league I play tends to be full of players that were playing Saturday football at a decent standard a few years back, so often it's a very good standard but tends to slow down in tempo as the game progresses!
Gives me the confidence boost I need after chasing 18 year old wingers on a Saturday that's for sure!!

I'm 35 and I completely stopped all sports about 5 years ago. My knees are too fecked to take anymore chances. It's just not worth it.

+1. For me, after 40 the sport to enjoy has been tennis :) and after 50 it may graduate to badminton :D

But to each their own, I guess

Used play three or four times a week when young. Then once a week in my early twenties. Stopped altogether now in my mid thirties. I damaged my ankle and kept stepping on it. I cycle now, twice a week. I am getting old though, even cycling now is getting tough.

Joe Biden still eats ice cream so there's no reason why you shouldn't play football.

Joe Biden still eats ice cream so there's no reason why you shouldn't play football.
Well if certain people are to be believed he doesn't actually know he's eating ice cream :D