Paddy McCourt

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
If he maintains his fitness he'll be a real asset to Celtic, he's got a lot more skill than some of the plodders they have playing for them.

buckooo1978

he's been doing that for years for derry city.....

maybe now he might get an international call up as derry was obviously too inconvinient for the northern ireland selectors to visit

Great Hat

Lovely dribbler and a good striker of the ball McCourt, amongst other things; which those clips sum up well. He's looked impressive so far when he's played for Celtic, though it's still fairly early days for him in the SPL.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
it took him a whole year to get in anyway match fit for spl football. Talent alone was enough at derry he admitted as much himself but hard work doesnt come naturally. He has talent and if he is finally match fit to the standards to play at celtic then he can be a real asset.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
he's been doing that for years for derry city.....

maybe now he might get an international call up as derry was obviously too inconvinient for the northern ireland selectors to visit
He was capped when he played for Derry!

The problem was his fitness levels and injury record. But, when fit he was a class above everyone playing Irish football. Glad to see he's now starting to make a name for himself

buckooo1978

He was capped when he played for Derry!

The problem was his fitness levels and injury record. But, when fit he was a class above everyone playing Irish football. Glad to see he's now starting to make a name for himself
are you sure...he was playing well for a long time for derry but i have it on the authority of a derry fanatic that he didnt get capped until he left for carlisle

buckooo1978

sorry correction - just wiki'ed it - was playing well for foyle harps before moving to rochdale - it was at rochdale he got capped

didnt get another cap till his celtic days in 2008

golden_blunder

Staff
McCourt received nine caps for Northern Ireland under-21 team, and two caps for the senior squad. He received his first cap against Spain, and his second cap came after he came on as a substitute against San Marino in a qualifying match for 2010 FIFA World Cup.
I was certain he got a subs appearance whilst at Derry. Not sure if the San Marino cap was before he went to Celtic or after.

Worthington definitely made noises about him whilst at Derry though. Its nonsense to suggest he didnt know about him

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I was certain he got a subs appearance whilst at Derry. Not sure if the San Marino cap was before he went to Celtic or after.

Worthington definitely made noises about him whilst at Derry though. Its nonsense to suggest he didnt know about him
Alright GB, how's it goin mate.

Goin from his Paddy's wiki, he got his International debut against Spain in June, 2002 whilst at Rochdale. Also, I checked other sources & he came on as a Sub against San Marino on 15th October, 2008. He signed for Celtic in June, 2008 so he would have been their player at that time & not Derry's!

I wonder how the Norn Iron faithful will take to having a former "London"derry City player & now Celtic player representing them. After the Neil Lennon episode i'm surprised any Catholics want to play for them at all!

golden_blunder

Staff
the u21's etc are full of young Catholic lads, most dont see it as a problem no more. Remember that there have been lots of Catholics playing for NI without any problems at all, the most famous being Pat Jennings.

I think the NI fans will take to McCourt, we could do with a bit of his magic (as long as he stays fit and healthy). Those goals he scored for Celtic will highlight to the NI faithful what a damn good player he can be; they'll take to him.

MUFCgal

Alright GB, how's it goin mate.

Goin from his Paddy's wiki, he got his International debut against Spain in June, 2002 whilst at Rochdale. Also, I checked other sources & he came on as a Sub against San Marino on 15th October, 2008. He signed for Celtic in June, 2008 so he would have been their player at that time & not Derry's!

I wonder how the Norn Iron faithful will take to having a former "London"derry City player & now Celtic player representing them. After the Neil Lennon episode i'm surprised any Catholics want to play for them at all!
I can't speak for anybody else but I support any player who pulls on the Northern Ireland shirt, don't matter to me what religion he is or what club he plays for. I support any player who represents my country.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
the u21's etc are full of young Catholic lads, most dont see it as a problem no more. Remember that there have been lots of Catholics playing for NI without any problems at all, the most famous being Pat Jennings.

I think the NI fans will take to McCourt, we could do with a bit of his magic (as long as he stays fit and healthy). Those goals he scored for Celtic will highlight to the NI faithful what a damn good player he can be; they'll take to him.
Good to hear :cool:

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish

It was alot different back in those days GB, everyone supported Norn Iron. Nationalists would support the North & South equally, and in many cases the North more so!

There was a dark period there for a good few years tho - 90's up until the mid-noughties. My mates are regular match-goers - Norn Matches & Rangers, they didnt like the atmosphere at Windsor one bit!

Its great the student population turn up in their numbers now also :cool:

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I can't speak for anybody else but I support any player who pulls on the Northern Ireland shirt, don't matter to me what religion he is or what club he plays for. I support any player who represents my country.
wish they were all like you then Gal! With that attitude we could have one team and be competitive every world cup and european championship campaign!

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
It was alot different back in those days GB, everyone supported Norn Iron. Nationalists would support the North & South equally, and in many cases the North more so!

There was a dark period there for a good few years tho - 90's up until the mid-noughties. My mates are regular match-goers - Norn Matches & Rangers, they didnt like the atmosphere at Windsor one bit!

Its great the student population turn up in their numbers now also :cool:
A lot of that RHD when I was a young un was also to do with the success Big Jack had with the Republic team!

Bammy

wish they were all like you then Gal! With that attitude we could have one team and be competitive every world cup and european championship campaign!
Yeah wouldn't that just be something :rolleyes:

Red Hand Devil you'll probably be disappointed to hear that both McCourt and McGinn were cheered by NI fans when playing.

Northern Ireland don't have many players more talented than McCourt,and I would love to see a bit more flair in the team,if he's match fit and doesn't substitute working hard for the flair. I think Mowbray said in an interview after the game something about him needing to work a bit harder and improve his off the ball game, but lets hope he can become a starter for Celtic and NI.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Yeah wouldn't that just be something :rolleyes:

Red Hand Devil you'll probably be disappointed to hear that both McCourt and McGinn were cheered by NI fans when playing.

Northern Ireland don't have many players more talented than McCourt,and I would love to see a bit more flair in the team,if he's match fit and doesn't substitute working hard for the flair. I think Mowbray said in an interview after the game something about him needing to work a bit harder and improve his off the ball game, but lets hope he can become a starter for Celtic and NI.
Yeah gutted :rolleyes:

I think its a fair to say, that its well justified for many to be sceptical of possible negative reactions to Celtic players from quite a few Northern Ireland fans. As for Paddy McCourt against San Marino - my mate who was at that match, says he was called a "lazy fenian bastard" on more than one occasion!

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
Craig Burley's commentary on that first clip is shocking. He's a greeting-faced prick - not a good word to say about the goal.

McCourt still isn't very fit - he was blowing out his arse from about the 50th minute of that St Mirren game - but who cares? He's done that against two diddy teams in the last two games. If he can keep doing it he'll force his way into the starting line-up. He had an identical run against Spurs in pre-season and then fluffed the finish, so he can obviously do it against better defenders than St Mirren or Falkirk can offer. I'd LOVE to see him get a start at Ibrox this weekend.

:D

golden_blunder

Staff
Lets get one thing clear here, None of us NI fans ever want to lose our footballing identity

I think you'll find Gal is very proud of our team and wouldn't change it for the world

MUFCgal

Lets get one thing clear here, None of us NI fans ever want to lose our footballing identity

I think you'll find Gal is very proud of our team and wouldn't change it for the world
No I wouldn't, not ever. I'm proud to support my country, Northern Ireland. I think we have come on leaps and bounds in recent years and I think with a bit more work and effort, we could (and will) make it to a major competition and I want to see us do that ourselves because I think we as a group of players deserve it.

buckooo1978

here here - northern ireland need more fans like you if we are to move forward

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
here here - northern ireland need more fans like you if we are to move forward
Aye, she's a gem is the Gal & there are lots more like her man, just a small minority with big mouths get attention.

There's a bittuva party atmosphere at Norn Iron games now, I havent been but I've seen it on the telly & heard about it from a few of my mates. Alot of young people - many student types etc, have been going to the games for a good few years now & the IFA has really addressed the sectarian issue aswell, which is only gonna be the betterment of the Country as a whole!

fadas

I've never forgiven Norn Iron for ruining many a night where I avoided being sent to bed for school the next day in order to watch Sportsnight and we'd be diverted to BBC Northern Ireland & Jackie Fullerton would come on instead of Harry Carpenter and you'd have to sit through 2 hours of shite from Windsor Park while Linfield took on Chimney Corner before they'd show 3 minutes of United v Spurs in the Milk cup.

Highlights always go on longer than the actual match at that Windsor Park kip.

I had my revenge years later when, on the Belfast train, I urinated in the general direction of Windsor Park as we arrived though

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I've never forgiven Norn Iron for ruining many a night where I avoided being sent to bed for school the next day in order to watch Sportsnight and we'd be diverted to BBC Northern Ireland & Jackie Fullerton would come on instead of Harry Carpenter and you'd have to sit through 2 hours of shite from Windsor Park while Linfield took on Chimney Corner before they'd show 3 minutes of United v Spurs in the Milk cup.

Highlights always go on longer than the actual match at that Windsor Park kip.

I had my revenge years later when, on the Belfast train, I urinated in the general direction of Windsor Park as we arrived though
I feel your pain man, I too had to put up with Jackie "Swiss Tony" Fullerton, shiting on in his suave-like accent about how great local football is, when there were other magical moments of football that could of been shown!

Although we had the RTE Aerial + booster, where we could watch RTE from the North, sometimes there was no International football on RTE (Ireland weren't playin that day) & I'd be very happy to watch England, only to find that BBC Norn Iron springs a surprise & low & behold its - Norn Iron vs Whodafecksthisodia on telly instead!

Then, you'd sit up late to watch the International Highlights and there's that suave plonker again, showing the feckin highlights of Norn Iron again. Thats after being bored to death watchin a whole shit match with the best team song the Norn Iron faithful could come up with:

"N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n...."

Any feckin wonder there was troubles in the North - it had feck all to do with Politics or Paramilitary's - it was Jackie "Swiss Tony" Fullerton's fault. What a wanker!

Swiss Tony:

Jackie Fullerton:

El B

I remember having to put up with him when Derry were playing PSG in the UEFA cup a few years back, over both legs of the game. He was shit, and kept going on about how he played for Derry in the 70's or some bollocks (he played about 7 games). Truly awful commentator. He could single-handedly make the best football game ever, unwatchable.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I remember having to put up with him when Derry were playing PSG in the UEFA cup a few years back, over both legs of the game. He was shit, and kept going on about how he played for Derry in the 70's or some bollocks (he played about 7 games). Truly awful commentator. He could single-handedly make the best football game ever - the final push towards suicide.
Fixed :D but very true though :(

MUFCgal

I feel your pain man, I too had to put up with Jackie "Swiss Tony" Fullerton, shiting on in his suave-like accent about how great local football is, when there were other magical moments of football that could of been shown!

Although we had the RTE Aerial + booster, where we could watch RTE from the North, sometimes there was no International football on RTE (Ireland weren't playin that day) & I'd be very happy to watch England, only to find that BBC Norn Iron springs a surprise & low & behold its - Norn Iron vs Whodafecksthisodia on telly instead!

Then, you'd sit up late to watch the International Highlights and there's that suave plonker again, showing the feckin highlights of Norn Iron again. Thats after being bored to death watchin a whole shit match with the best team song the Norn Iron faithful could come up with:

"N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n....N-o-r-n I-r-o-n...."

Any feckin wonder there was troubles in the North - it had feck all to do with Politics or Paramilitary's - it was Jackie "Swiss Tony" Fullerton's fault. What a wanker!

Swiss Tony:

Jackie Fullerton:
One of my favourites to sing at the moment is the Steven Davis song, it's a nice wee song and it also takes pops at Stevie G and Fat Frank in one line, that's always good. It's to the tune of our Solskjaer song, I like it. I don't mind chanting 'Norn Iron, Norn Iron' once or twice but then I get bored and want to sing an actual song :D