Gaming Palworld (the so called "Pokémon with Guns")

hobbers

The move to 3D absolutely showed them up as incredibly mediocre developers.
Yeah they have the IP and the funds and the blueprint to make an amazing 3D game but they've barely even tried, and what they've done has been pathetic.

Unam333

Yeah they have the IP and the funds and the blueprint to make an amazing 3D game but they've barely even tried, and what they've done has been pathetic.
Why try? People will buy it anyway.

Drainy

Not played a Pokémon game in years, you'd think that seeing the success of this the actual Pokémon developers would take as a hint to modernise but expect the next generation to be the same old with a lick of paint

Kaos

I just want Nintendo to see this and decide that they can do so much more with Pokémon.
This. A hundred times this.

Nintendo and their Game Freak studio have been taking the piss for a well over a decade now with the garbage they roll out, barely passing as PS3 quality. And they do it knowing how much of a cash cow the Pokemon franchise is, expecting the fanboys to empty their wallets irrespective of the turd excuse of games they're served.

I don't even find Palworld appealling, I just hope it continues to do well to shame Game Freak and Nintendo into actually giving us proper open world Pokemon games that are fit for the current gen.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not a fan of survival game. But Gamefreak needed a kick up in the arse. Theyve been releasing the same type of game for 20 years+ and its still their biggest cash cow. Getting lazy with it.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm not a fan of the new Pokemon games but considering the past two mainline titles have sold 26m units and 23m units I very much doubt Nintendo care about changing the quality. They kinda did this with Arceus and that one sold much less at "only" 14m copies. The Diamond/Pearl remakes also sold around this much. It's a shame in a sense but tis what it is I guess.

On topic, Palworld seems like a great success so far, although I loathe grindy craft-heavy survival games so I won't be anywhere near it.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but Nintendo, and especially the Pokémon Company, can do one.

The Pokémon main games are getting worse and worse with below par performances and lack of creativity. I have no faith that the release of Palworld will suddenly influence the development of future Pokémon games, but it is funny though and I don't feel sorry for a multi billion company.
Agree but it's hard to say Pokemon's success was ever because of its "quality". They were cute and fun back in the day but as far as RPGs go they were always incredibly basic.

Pokemon's success seemed to rely on the fact it was designed as a media franchise from the start and because its primary audience was young, impressionable children. It marketed the crap out of the merchandise and this was bolstered by the success of not just the original few games but also popular media like the anime tv series/movies/manga.

When adults say it isn't any good I suspect it just doesn't matter to Nintendo. They're still games made primarily for kids and they rake it in because of that, for better or worse.

Still, Arceus seemed like a nice change of pace from what I've heard (haven't played it personally).

Last edited:

Unam333

Agree but it's hard to say Pokemon's success was ever because of its "quality". They were cute and fun back in the day but as far as RPGs go they were always incredibly basic.

Pokemon's success seemed to rely on the fact it was designed as a media franchise from the start and because its primary audience was young, impressionable children. It marketed the crap out of the merchandise and this was bolstered by the success of not just the original few games but also popular media like the anime tv series/movies/manga.

When adults say it isn't any good I suspect it just doesn't matter to Nintendo. They're still games made primarily for kids and they rake it in because of that, for better or worse.

Still, Arceus seemed like a nice change of pace from what I've heard (haven't played it personally).
I definitely agree. It's geared towards the younger audience. My 8 year old son is playing Pokémon Scarlet and he's having a blast.
You're right about the merchandising and marketing aspects. I remember when the original games were released there was already a show. Later the trading card games became popular.
How many game franchises can say about that?
Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade maybe and they were also purposely made to sell merchandise.