Gaming Palworld (the so called "Pokémon with Guns")

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I've been hearing about this game more and more since Monday.

Is the hype real?

Is it any good?

Unam333

It plays more like Ark, a survival game, than Pokémon. There is a catching mechanics and the Pals are 100% Pokémon ripoffs, but what I read so far people really enjoy the game.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks a bit crap, really. One of those rubbish survival games where you craft endlessly and mine materials.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Probably shouldn't be labelling it as Pokémon as it could put the site admin in trouble.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Probably shouldn't be labelling it as Pokémon as it could put the site admin in trouble.
agreed. i once made a very graphic post on the things id do to misty and niall told me to knock it off.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I suppose it's impressive that this has been out for 5 minutes and they haven't had their pants sued off by Nintendo yet.

Dunno how long they'll keep that up.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I just want Nintendo to see this and decide that they can do so much more with Pokémon.

Samid

I suppose it's impressive that this has been out for 5 minutes and they haven't had their pants sued off by Nintendo yet.

Dunno how long they'll keep that up.
As much as I like Pokémon, that entire world is hardly the beacon of originality. They've stolen so many designs and names from both real animals and mythical creatures. Several of the places and storylines in the games are also heavily inspired by the real world.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We're playing it at the moment. It's actually pretty good, nothing particularly new or innovative but surprisingly fun. It's also free on gamespass so why not.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
We're playing it at the moment. It's actually pretty good, nothing particularly new or innovative but surprisingly fun. It's also free on gamespass so why not.
right here, officer, this man is playing the illegal game.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
As much as I like Pokémon, that entire world is hardly the beacon of originality. They've stolen so many designs and names from both real animals and mythical creatures. Several of the places and storylines in the games are also heavily inspired by the real world.
it’s completely different. i’m enjoying exploring the kante region with my beginner palkemon, blue squirter.

Smores

Has Xbox finally got a good game then?

Pokemon with guns sounds ace to be fair, always wanted to shoot Psyduck in the face. Yeah you've got a headache now you moaning little shit.

Simbo

Its like Pokemon meets Rimworld, though I hope they lean more toward the Rimworld direction going forward.

Bit buggy but very good for an early access. Not sure about replay-ability but there's shitloads they could do with it in future content, its a good base game.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Its like Pokemon meets Rimworld, though I hope they lean more toward the Rimworld direction going forward.

Bit buggy but very good for an early access. Not sure about replay-ability but there's shitloads they could do with it in future content, its a good base game.
Is this a rimaldo joke or not?

MiceOnMeth

So many people have been snitching to Pokémon on twitter they had to release a statement :lol:
How sad do you have to be to snitch on a small developer to daddy Nintendo?

MiceOnMeth

Taming creatures isn't an IP in and of itself so there would be no basis to sue palworld. Games like temtem are more blatant rip-offs and were never sued.

hobbers

The hype is real.

Bit like valheim or ark but you can employ a pokemon slave army to do most of the work for you.

Samid

Good take on Game Freak. Only EA can compare in terms of lazy bastards.

nimic

something nice
Scout
That's absolutely not how that works. Nintendo doesn't give a damn what someone in a football forum thread calls a game which isn't even theirs, and if they did it wouldn't matter anyway because it's obviously not illegal.

hobbers

Good take on Game Freak. Only EA can compare in terms of lazy bastards.
EA release the same games every year with different numbers in the titles without ever so much as fixing a single bug.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Taming creatures isn't an IP in and of itself so there would be no basis to sue palworld. Games like temtem are more blatant rip-offs and were never sued.
Maybe, but I'm guessing Temtem didn't have two million concurrent players on Steam. I doubt Nintendo is going to do anything, but all us non-experts shouldn't speak so confidently about it quite yet.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
my dad is actually mr. nintendo and he says he’s too busy with hookers to worry about stuff like this.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The dunkey video on it made it look like an absolute chorefest.

mitChley

Bought it, played it for 1 hour, realised it was just another survival game and not like Pokemon, refunded it.

Unam333

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but Nintendo, and especially the Pokémon Company, can do one.

The Pokémon main games are getting worse and worse with below par performances and lack of creativity. I have no faith that the release of Palworld will suddenly influence the development of future Pokémon games, but it is funny though and I don't feel sorry for a multi billion company.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
It wouldn't be sued because of taming creatures, it'd be sued because of the blatant ripoff of their character designs.

hobbers

It is true that Nintendo and Pokemon deserve to be ripped off for how thoroughly shite and uninspired their offerings have been since probably heart gold in 2009.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Bought it, played it for 1 hour, realised it was just another survival game and not like Pokemon, refunded it.
There's not much survival to it if I'm honest and that genres my normal go to. There is a bit of a grind for materials initially but once you unlock wood/stone automation it becomes less grindy.

MiceOnMeth

It wouldn't be sued because of taming creatures, it'd be sued because of the blatant ripoff of their character designs.
Which ones do you think are blatant rip offs? I had a quick skim of the pal Dex and I don't see any major rip offs but definitely some that look similar such as the blue gyarados looking thing

MiceOnMeth

It is true that Nintendo and Pokemon deserve to be ripped off for how thoroughly shite and uninspired their offerings have been since probably heart gold in 2009.
The move to 3D absolutely showed them up as incredibly mediocre developers.