Panic buying again?

keithsingleton

So once again because we haven't hit our supposed targets we result in to panic buying yet again.
We bring in old age pensioner Cavani who was just after the best deal he could get anywhere in the world and not just for playing for the greatest team in the world.

Telles undergoing a medical along with a guy I've never heard of called Amad Traore. Who next? Mario Balotelli.

Don't mind admitting I'm hurting at the moment, us fans having it rough.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So signing a 18 year old who will be one for the future is panic buying? The player who won't even join in the summer.

We tried to sign Telles at least from last 15-20 days, it's just that we agreed the deal today. It's not panic buying.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
So once again because we haven't hit our supposed targets we result in to panic buying yet again.
We bring in old age pensioner Cavani who was just after the best deal he could get anywhere in the world and not just for playing for the greatest team in the world.

Telles undergoing a medical along with a guy I've never heard of called Amad Traore. Who next? Mario Balotelli.

Oh well if you've never heard of them then it must be a panic buy!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
So signing a 18 year old who will be one for the future is panic buying? The player who won't even join in the summer.

We tried to sign Telles at least from last 15-20 days, it's just that we agreed the deal today. It's not panic buying.
Do you not feel like there's an element of panic around United's dealings or do you feel like this has been the plan?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
United are relaxed, mate. No panic buys, Lingard & Smalling staying like a new transfers, everything according to plan.

roonster09

Scout
Do you not feel like there's an element of panic around United's dealings or do you feel like this has been the plan?
There is no element of panic in signing Telles and Amad Traore. LB whom we tried to sign from last 2-3 weeks who might be upgrade on what we have and also 18 year old who is one for the future and will join in Jan.

Dembele? Yes maybe.

Also clubs usually don't plan everything, (or say everything won't go as per plan) was Ruben Dias a panic buy when City wanted 2-3 CBs before they bought him? No. It's how it is, they tried to sign players, couldn't so they moved on to next target. We should have done that with Sancho but we didn't.

I just don't see why people go with "panic signing" with Telles and Traore.

flappyjay

When was the last time we actually panic bought. Our worst buys tend to be planned ones where we spunk a lot of money on a player we scouted for a long time but isn't good enough or fit the team e.g Lukaku, Maguire, schweinsteiger and Sanchez. All planned and all didn't end well with a huge question mark on Maguire.

keithsingleton

At the moment I just don't know. I'm as confused as our board seem to be as we have clearly lost the plot when it comes to transfers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When was the last time we actually panic bought. Our worst buys tend to be planned ones where we spunk a lot of money on a player we scouted for a long time but isn't good enough or fit the team e.g Lukaku, Maguire, schweinsteiger and Sanchez. All planned and all didn't end well with a huge question mark on Maguire.
This is true. Our version of panic buying usually involves paying the same fee we were asked to pay at the beginning of the transfer window, with hours to go on deadline day, and the team already struggling in the league.

fezzerUTD

Cavani - Yes Panic buy defiantly.

Telles - Will be our left back so no.

Traore - Looks a real prospect no panic here. Yes he was going to Parma, and no we couldn't get the deal done before. Now we can we are buying him. Youtube (I know) he looks a real good player.

RedDevil@84

We are not panic buying. This was the plan all along. Keep a few smalltime targets to be signed at the end of window.
Stoke rumours all window by leaking random news to media.

Coleyoscar

There is no element of panic in signing Telles and Amad Traore. LB whom we tried to sign from last 2-3 weeks who might be upgrade on what we have and also 18 year old who is one for the future and will join in Jan.

Dembele? Yes maybe.
Scurrying to sign a clutch of players on the last day when the deficiencies in the squad have been visible to all of us for an age is close to the perfect example of panic to my mind. Some of the signings might work out, I hope they all do, but surely nobody can believe this scramble is part of a great strategic plan?

keithsingleton

United are relaxed, mate. No panic buys, Lingard & Smalling staying like a new transfers, everything according to plan.
Relaxed buying 2-3-4 players on final day? No not at all. City & Chavs are what I called relaxed as their deals all but done well in the time frame. We do it with hours to spare is not my interpretation of being relaxed.

roonster09

Scout
Scurrying to sign a clutch of players on the last day when the deficiencies in the squad have been visible to all of us for an age is close to the perfect example of panic to my mind. Some of the signings might work out, I hope they all do, but surely nobody can believe this scramble is part of a great strategic plan?
Which player was linked all of a sudden on the last day?

Telles was linked for 2-3 weeks, Amad Traore was linked for close to a month and that's just going by reports. For all we know, negotiations with agents started well before that.

Signing young players like Pellistri, Amad Traore on the last day is not panic signing, again these 2 were linked for close to a month. On the other hand, Cavani? Yes.

The Original

Would any player come here for that reason at the moment?

Ronaldo's Love Child

It's hard to tell mate which players have been extensively scouted and which ones haven't.

I always had the feeling that Sanchez and Lukaku were snatched from under the noses of our rivals and the main intention was to weaken (or not strengthen) the clubs looking to buy them i.e. Man City and Chelsea respectively.

Daonico

I don't think it is that much panic in hindsight. There was clearly a failure in the Sancho stuff. At the very least a misscalculation of the situation, which lead to do other stuff late. That's my big complain of the window.
I think Cavani is half panic/half opportunity. He surely lowered his demands and that's why we got him so late.

The others I don't see as panic at all so far. I would have said is more panic if we paid the 120 million for sancho.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Relaxed buying 2-3-4 players on final day? No not at all. City & Chavs are what I called relaxed as their deals all but done well in the time frame. We do it with hours to spare is not my interpretation of being relaxed.
Take it easy, half of these deals may still collapse, I'm sure you're aware of that.

There's still time to complicate things even more. You have to think more like Ed Woodward or Matt Judge rather than actual Manchester United football club logic.

Bubz27

Dembele? Yes maybe.

Also clubs usually don't plan everything, (or say everything won't go as per plan) was Ruben Dias a panic buy when City wanted 2-3 CBs before they bought him? No. It's how it is, they tried to sign players, couldn't so they moved on to next target. We should have done that with Sancho but we didn't.

I just don't see why people go with "panic signing" with Telles and Traore.
I agree about Telles. Annoying it hasn't been done earlier in the window. Maybe to save a couple million euros? Ridiculous mentality in my opinion. The Dias situation you mention, I'd assume like most deals, they had an A, B, C option.

Traore does have a hint of panic around it. Not because of him as a player, moreso the fact we're scrambling around today to see if he can get a work permit.

CG1010

We ARE panic buying no doubt when we forced Anad Traore to break his loan deal and sign with us but will have to wait till January to get him. We could have moved earlier for him and got him since the start of the season only. But that doesn't mean the transfers themselves are daft. Just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean he is a bad signing!

roonster09

Scout
I agree about Telles. Annoying it hasn't been done earlier in the window. Maybe to save a couple million euros? Ridiculous mentality in my opinion. The Dias situation you mention, I'd assume like most deals, they had an A, B, C option.

Traore does have a hint of panic around it. Not because of him as a player, moreso the fact we're scrambling around today to see if he can get a work permit.
For me there is 0 panic in Traore deal, he played less than a half for first team, so we are not counting on him to make some impact on first team. He is one for the future, looks like we are signing him before his value sky rockets(at lest club's thinking).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's not a panic buy, we've been linked with players like Traore and Telles for ages. We left it late because we had our heart set on Sancho, when that failed we decided to sign our other targets instead. I think Cavani was the closest thing to a panic buy and even he makes a lot of sense as a signing, as all of our business this summer has. I think, in all honesty, we've done everything except panic this summer. We've been almost too relaxed if anything.

keithsingleton

Of course it's panic buying. A club as big as ours should of known weeks ago our targets and done what City & Chavs have done. Livepool left it late but they didn't hang around once their targets were sorted.

No other fan base forum will have 1200 pages or more on one player for the deal only to fall through. Like it all not we've been a embarrassment in this transfer market no matter who comes in now. Even if by some freak we still get Sancho.

peridigm

Cavani - Yes Panic buy defiantly.

Telles - Will be our left back so no.

Traore - Looks a real prospect no panic here. Yes he was going to Parma, and no we couldn't get the deal done before. Now we can we are buying him. Youtube (I know) he looks a real good player.
I wouldn't say Cavani is a panic buy in the traditional sense of get anyone in like Fellaini was. He was probably low on our list of choices. Even if we got Dembele, Cavani would still be needed due to Dembele's injury record.
We're in the CL and need attackers with CL experience. We needed a forward player to replace Ighalo. I think the reason this was left till late is that the club were reportedly still trying to sign Sanch.
If we signed Sancho no need for Cavani as we have Greenwood who can take Igahlo's spot for backup.

Bubz27

For me there is 0 panic in Traore deal, he played less than a half for first team, so we are not counting on him to make some impact on first team. He is one for the future, looks like we are signing him before his value sky rockets(at lest club's thinking).
So we can only speculate why we waited so long. He was on his way to Parma until a week ago. Some reports we've been looking at him for 3 years, which is good. I'd expect we have an eye on most promising young players, especially around Europe.

roonster09

Scout
Of course it's panic buying. A club as big as ours should of known weeks ago our targets and done what City & Chavs have done. Livepool left it late but they didn't hang around once their targets were sorted.

No other fan base forum will have 1200 pages or more on one player for the deal only to fall through. Like it all not we've been a embarrassment in this transfer market no matter who comes in now. Even if by some freak we still get Sancho.
Telles known weeks ago, Traore known weeks ago, Pellistri known weeks ago.

Just because we didnt Sancho doesn't mean everything is a panic buying.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Seems we are better at getting the youth and graduates in and falling miles short of the first team. First team signings is horrendously planned and actioned on.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I wonder what Woodward is thinking right now. I’d pay a lot of money just to have one honest conversation with him at the moment.

Infra-red

I wish we would do some panic selling. How the hell have Rojo, Jones, Lingard et al survived another window.

keithsingleton

Telles was linked for 2-3 weeks, Amad Traore was linked for close to a month and that's just going by reports. For all we know, negotiations with agents started well before that.

Signing young players like Pellistri, Amad Traore on the last day is not panic signing, again these 2 were linked for close to a month. On the other hand, Cavani? Yes.
So the fact ( which is true ) that we were linked with several players 2/3/4 weeks ago why does it take things to happen in the last few hours of trading? I'm sorry Rooster I simply can't agree with you much as I'd like to.

Cavani signing a joke. Who wants a old age pensioner when were supposed to be generating a young tallented squad. We should of gone for Aubameyang when we had a chance. It was plain to see he was looking at a new challenge till the team found a new lease of form.

Swearing Budgie

All well and good signing players for the future but our squad is full of holes NOW. Are we just going to write off the next couple of season (again)?

Shouldn't we be going after this Thomas Partey lad? Or is Ed concerned that the name might be a clue to his off the field habits?

roonster09

Scout
So the fact ( which is true ) that we were linked with several players 2/3/4 weeks ago why does it take things to happen in the last few hours of trading? I'm sorry Rooster I simply can't agree with you much as I'd like to.

Cavani signing a joke. Who wants a old age pensioner when were supposed to be generating a young tallented squad. We should of gone for Aubameyang when we had a chance. It was plain to see he was looking at a new challenge till the team found a new lease of form.
Who knows why does it take so long, maybe the people who are in charge thought they can get the price down and whether succeeded or not, went with the deal as we dont have enough time left.

Maybe what panic signing means is different for you and me.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Amad Traore and Pellistri are youth signings. They are not recruited to make us stronger this season and I will be very surprised if they get any significant playing time this season. As such, we are really only buying Cavani, and maybe Telles to strengthen us. Neither of them are a panic buy. If anything, I would love us to panic-buy some decent CB so we have some chance of winning matches, but I doubt we can at this point.

jackal&hyde

Panic buying was getting Fellaini.

Telles, Traore and Pellistri were talked about for some time. Cavani is the interesting one but it makes sense; Ighalo will go in Jan and we have Greenwood as long term option (maybe Haaland) so a short terms solution is good here.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Panic buying ? It would be buying Dembele for 60m. We are actually waiting for Sancho now.

Offsideagain

Just to remind all those who state everything is planned and we have not done any panic buying. The transfer window opened on July 27th, any team that had ‘planned’ transfers would have got them done by end of August at the latest. Woodward has been faffing about again figuring out how to pay the Glazers and also get a few squad players on the cheap as usual. Yes he’s spent loads of money since 2013 but bought from Aldi instead of Harrods because he knows bugger all about football. That’s why we need a Sporting Director or whatever you want to call him that has contacts and knowledge. We buy end of aisle offers to keep the Glazers in dividends.

Coleyoscar

Which player was linked all of a sudden on the last day?

Why wait until deadline day to conclude these deals if they were part of a carefully considered plan? You might be right of course, signing a bunch of players on deadline day is not proof of panic. But, viewed from the outside, taking Ed Woodward's regime's track record into account, on the balance of probability, I suspect it is.

romufc

We have a plan, fans are creating a fuss...

Deadline day: Manutd scrambling to find any RW.

Seems like a club with plan?