Paolo Rossi has passed away

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
RIP

Even if he had accomplished absolutely nothing else in his career, that game against Brazil alone ensures he'll never be forgotten.

Ainu

Barely older than Diego, what a terrible year for World Cup legends. Just like how 86 will always bring to mind Diego against England, so it is with Rossi vs Brazil. Sad news, 64 is too young. RIP.

ROFLUTION

notizia tristissima indeed. RIP Rossi.

Golden ball, Golden boot and the World cup in 1982. Only 1 out of 3 players to have done that.

Somehow reminds me of Raul (but more decorated) in the way he was clinical and the ball glued to his feet

Josh 76

Barely older than Diego, what a terrible year for World Cup legends. Just like how 86 will always bring to mind Diego against England, so it is with Rossi vs Brazil. Sad news, 64 is too young. RIP.
Spot on.
Another childhood legend passes away.
RIP Rossi

led_scholes

Rip Legend.

The team I support in Greece, Aris, has not achieved too many things in European football. One of the things that Aris has achieved is that it qualified over Rossi's Perugia in 1979 for the UEFA Cup. Since then, we proudly say we won against the magnificent Paolo Rossi. When Valentino Rossi started to win everything, we would say that there is only one legendary Rossi and that is Paolo. As with all the football fans we like to create a myth for our club, and Rossi was part of our myth. Rest in Peace Paolo, you meant a lot for a small team from Thessaloniki and its' fans. Rossi's name and achievements will always be remembered by Aris' fans!

FireballXL5

He had that mystique about him. I'd never heard much about him, but after the '82 World Cup I thought he was cool af. RIP

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We made a huge thing over Maradona - almost as if he was British royalty. Well, this guy drove Italy in 1982 pretty much as Maradona did Argentina for years later. His performance throughout was beautiful to watch, helping them top a group which included Brazil and Argentina. he scored a hat-trick in the brazil game (can't remember if he scored in other game), then scored both goals in a semi win and got one in a fantastic final against (West) Germany

Josh 76

We made a huge thing over Maradona - almost as if he was British royalty. Well, this guy drove Italy in 1982 pretty much as Maradona did Argentina for years later. His performance throughout was beautiful to watch, helping them top a group which included Brazil and Argentina. he scored a hat-trick in the brazil game (can't remember if he scored in other game), then scored both goals in a semi win and got one in a fantastic final against (West) Germany
Italy were poor in the group stages. They only made it through because they scored one more goal. The Italian press were having a field day and Rossi was on the verge of getting dropped.
Brazil only needed a draw to go through into the semi finals, but when it mattered, Rossi delivered. The rest is history!.

MUM

Italian legend, great striker. He was fantastic in the 78 World Cup in Argentina, but his hat-trick against Brazil was special to watch in the 82 World Cup, which he helped to win against West Germany.

In two weeks, we've lost two great World Cup winners at such relatively early ages.

RIP Paolo

Foxbatt

RIP Paulo. Top striker and a top guy too. I had the great opportunity to play against him and one of the most down to earth football players I have met.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Rip Legend.

The team I support in Greece, Aris, has not achieved too many things in European football. One of the things that Aris has achieved is that it qualified over Rossi's Perugia in 1979 for the UEFA Cup. Since then, we proudly say we won against the magnificent Paolo Rossi. When Valentino Rossi started to win everything, we would say that there is only one legendary Rossi and that is Paolo. As with all the football fans we like to create a myth for our club, and Rossi was part of our myth. Rest in Peace Paolo, you meant a lot for a small team from Thessaloniki and its' fans. Rossi's name and achievements will always be remembered by Aris' fans!
I was 4 in '82, so I don't remember this directly but I do remember my mum recounting this a lot... In august that year my family and I went on a road trip to Greece with an old self-converted motorhome. From the moment we crossed Greece border to the moment we left, every single time we parked, people would notice the big "i" on the International vehicle registration code sticker and instantly cheer us up "Paolo Rossi!" "Paolo Rossi!!!". My mum and dad loved it so much =)

abundance

Supports
Inter
RIP Paulo. Top striker and a top guy too. I had the great opportunity to play against him and one of the most down to earth football players I have met.
wow =)
What was the occasion if I may ask?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He had that mystique about him. I'd never heard much about him, but after the '82 World Cup I thought he was cool af. RIP
Banned for two years leading up to World Cup (originally set at three but reduced and I seem to remember some British media saying they'd reduced it purely to get him in the WC for Italy... speculation).
Not my recollection at all. I remember him (and Italian team in general) being bang average in the group. As a finisher (and when it really mattered), lethal.

They had a top defence though which helped ... Zoff, Cabrini, Bergomi, Scirea

Foxbatt

wow =)
What was the occasion if I may ask?
He has just officially retired and he played for one of the teams I played against.. What surprised me was how big he looked on the pitch and how quick he was. Off the pitch he was comparatively small. Took my picture with him and he gave me his autograph too. Most of the Italian players of that time are very down to earth.

Foxbatt

Banned for two years leading up to World Cup (originally set at three but reduced and I seem to remember some British media saying they'd reduced it purely to get him in the WC for Italy... speculation).

Not my recollection at all. I remember him (and Italian team in general) being bang average in the group. As a finisher (and when it really mattered), lethal.

They had a top defence though which helped ... Zoff, Cabrini, Bergomi, Scirea
They had top players up front and in midfield too. Bruno Conti, Antognioni, Marco Tardelli, and of course Rossi and Graziani.
And in defense of course Gentile, who kicked and punched his way thru. The difference is that Gentile can play football too.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
They had top players up front and in midfield too. Bruno Conti, Antognioni, Marco Tardelli, and of course Rossi and Graziani.
And in defense of course Gentile, who kicked and punched his way thru. The difference is that Gentile can play football too.
Yeah, good team all round.

I mentioned the defence really as a response to the suggestion they/Rossi were great throughout, they weren't/he wasn't... the defence were able to hold on to results/keep things tight which (JUST) got them through the group.

As things moved on, they opened up and deserved to win. Sometimes teams need a good opponent (and threat of elimination) to make them play how they can.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, good team all round.

I mentioned the defence really as a response to the suggestion they/Rossi were great throughout, they weren't/he wasn't... the defence were able to hold on to results/keep things tight which (JUST) got them through the group.

As things moved on, they opened up and deserved to win. Sometimes teams need a good opponent (and threat of elimination) to make them play how they can.
Especially true for italians :D

But yeah, Zoff, Scirea(two guys who have a claim to being the best ever in their roles), Cabrini, Collovati, Gentile, Bergomi(18 and already old :lol:), Tardelli, Oriali, Conti(the actual best player of the world cup), Graziani, Rossi, Causio, Altobelli, Antognoni(who got injured because of course :()....it was a fantastic side. And Bearzot even left our best striker home because Rossi was his guy

Foxbatt

And Saint Paulo delivered it for them. I still remember the English commentator stuttering to say " pppppossibility for Rossi " as Gentile crossed the ball from a quick free kick against the Germans.

Foxbatt

I don't think even Jose can get a setup like that. They scored three goals and gave a master class in defending and counter attacking football.
The second goal was the best for me. How Scirea the sweeper bought the ball out of defense into the German box and laid it on a plate for Tardell who always had a good shot. He told me it's hazy and can't remember it too much.

abundance

Supports
Inter
He has just officially retired and he played for one of the teams I played against.. What surprised me was how big he looked on the pitch and how quick he was. Off the pitch he was comparatively small. Took my picture with him and he gave me his autograph too. Most of the Italian players of that time are very down to earth.
ehe, I don't think I can even imagine how does it feel to try to man mark a pro of his level
Must have been such a nice day =)

piesel

Bad year for Juve, lost two legends like Anastasi and Rossi. RIP to both of them.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

ehe, I don't think I can even imagine how does it feel to try to man mark a pro of his level
Must have been such a nice day =)
I was lucky. I didn't have to mark him at all. I felt sorry for the defenders. Yes when you see them on the TV or in matches even at the stadium he looked much smaller. He was quick and I mean quick with the ball. The burst of pace he had in a short distance was unbelievable. The elevation he got was unbelievable too. The defenders were not amateurs either but not in the same class as a world star. Lucky for us he got smacked on his nose and went off early.

abundance

Supports
Inter
I was lucky. I didn't have to mark him at all. I felt sorry for the defenders. Yes when you see them on the TV or in matches even at the stadium he looked much smaller. He was quick and I mean quick with the ball. The burst of pace he had in a short distance was unbelievable. The elevation he got was unbelievable too. The defenders were not amateurs either but not in the same class as a world star. Lucky for us he got smacked on his nose and went off early.
ehehehe, golden
tnx a lot for sharing all this ^^

Foxbatt

ehehehe, golden
tnx a lot for sharing all this ^^
I was lucky enough to meet a few players including Marco Tardelli, Michel Platini and even Pele. All outside of the sporting field. Tardelli came to my office and sat with me for a while. I asked him how he felt after scoring the second goal and he said that it was too hazy for him to remember.
I was lucky to have a good coach who eventually coached a good club in the CL. I learned a lot from him, especially in game management as I became an assistant to him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
RIP
Whenever I’ve read about World Cup greats, he is always one of players being mentioned.
He probably wasn’t one of the top players around, but he did shined in the biggest stage.