Pardew Draft - QF - Enigma vs Sjor

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
ENIGMA:

SJOR:

ENIGMA TACTICS:

Formation: 4-3-3
Defence:

At the heart of the defence we have the classic sweeper/stopper combo in Moore and Burgnich. On the left we have the greatest attacking left back in Facchetti who will overlap Gento and create a frightening prospect on the right. On the opposite flank we have Zanetti who is playing a more balanced role.

A proper old-school defender, Burgnich was tough, physical and a nightmare to play against. His strength and power led to his nickname of "La Roccia”, meaning the Rock, an appropriate nickname for someone who's jawline looked like it had been formed in a Dolomites quarry.
Whilst Burgnich could comfortably play in a number of positions across the back line, including centre-back and sweeper, it was as a right-back that he was best known. A key part of Inter's famous catenaccio system, Burgnich formed one of football's great fullback partnerships with Facchetti. And whilst Facchetti was renowned for his attacking ability, Burgnich was more than happy to make his name for his defensive duties, as his reliability and consistency made him one of Italy's finest defenders through the 1960s and 1970s.
Burgnich in this game will play as a stopper and primarily as a man marker against Van Basten. A role he is well familiar with and will be tasked to suffocate the opposition best attacking outlet.

Midfield:
At the base of the midfield is Bedin. He was the anchor of the Grande Inter and plays similar role here, shielding the defence. Alongside him is midfield maestro Luis Suarez Miramontes, in his natural and deeper Inter role. Spearheading the midfield is one of football's finest - Di Stefano.
Di Stefano is in his natural role controlling the tempo and linking up the midfield and attack, whilst obviously attacking the box and scoring himself.

Attack:
Our attack is the focal point of the team really. A proven partnership between Gento/Puskas/Di Stefano is complimented by perhaps the greatest winger of all time in Best. Best and Gento will stretch the pitch, attack the opposition full backs and allow Di Stefano and Puskas to exploit the space in the box. Both of them can create a numerical advantage and deliver the decisive blow in this game.

Upgrades:
Crown in the jewel is Luis Suarez who is one of the greatest midfielders in the game. He has fantastic range and notoriously very good pace in those paces compared to the era he played in. He is also a team player and able to play with the more advanced Di Stefano, whilst also possessing the tactical sense and work rate to keep up with the more Di Stefano demanding style.
As for Zanetti - one of the very best full backs of all time (for me - my personal favorite). Someone who can own the flank and be a great weapon in both phases of the game.

Thoughts on the opposition:
Obviously Bepo has a quality team and balance across the lines. However I see our team having the scoring edge in the game. Suarez and Di Stefano can also evade pressure and the former can ping accurate and quality balls to the wings where we have plenty of trickery and pace in Gento/Best. On a side note as well - our team is basically well oiled in terms of partnerships as Bedin/Luis Suarez is a proven combo that worked pretty well against plenty of great oppositions, whilst also adding Di Stefano to the mix and an attack trio that dominated the late 50's early 60's for Real Madrid.

SJOR TACTICS:

Tactics

Formation: 4411
Considering what enigma has in his arsenal, think this is the best approach. I cant battle it via personnel and player quality but i can have a better team and team more often then not beats better individuals and lets face it, when you have a front 4 of Di Stefano, Best, Puskas, Gento and you add Suarez behind them, you are not counting on chemistry and balance you going balls deep on individual brilliance.

So what the plan, well, funnily enough the plan is to do what everyone would think its the worst thing you can do and thats give them the ball. Have a brilliant back 4, fantastic engines in midfield and two forward that are willing to put a shift in when needed. Maldini on the left to watch out on Best. Krol and Rio in the middle, two lets say sweepers together which i usually hate but considering the lack of physicality in the opposition team and plethora of genius capabilities it actually works lovely as they would need to read the game as motherfeckers for 90 minutes but also, both were athletic and quite physically rugged in their defensive application.
Tigana and Lerbi in midfield to keep it tight alongside Prosinecki who will provide that youthful fearlessness and creativity alongside prime version of b2b Schuster from the right in lets say Koke/Arda role.
Offensive plan is to try and bully Facchetti. All time leftback, great and all that but we have plenty of evidence of him struggling against quality dribblers and who better to exploit that then Futre, one of the best ever when it comes to dribbling. Up front Van Basten, younger version. Can hold it, can do magic with it, you name it and he not only can do it, but is probably a master of it.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Enigma_87 why is Zanetti playing more of a balanced role? Surely you want him bombing forward here .
tbh I didn’t expect Bepo to succumb and invite pressure here so l opted for one attacking full back than the other.

looking at the game though it would probably be exactly the opposite as Sjor opted to concentrate on the other flank so indeed Zanetti will use that opportunity to eat the grass in front of him.

Especially with Best in front of him it creates a scary combo that can double down on Maldini and create space when they have the opportunity.

Himannv

tbh I didn’t expect Bepo to succumb and invite pressure here so l opted for one attacking full back than the other.

looking at the game though it would probably be exactly the opposite as Sjor opted to concentrate on the other flank so indeed Zanetti will use that opportunity to eat the grass in front of him.

Especially with Best in front of him it creates a scary combo that can double down on Maldini and create space when they have the opportunity.
Yeah, that makes more sense I think.

You seem to have identified roles for all the individuals, which is good, but it does highlight what Sjor said. He can't go toe to toe with you in terms of personnel but he can compete as a team with a tactic. Your team is focused on individual brilliance from one of your many attack options and it feels like it's down to individuals even in terms of defense.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah, that makes more sense I think.

You seem to have identified roles for all the individuals, which is good, but it does highlight what Sjor said. He can't go toe to toe with you in terms of personnel but he can compete as a team with a tactic. Your team is focused on individual brilliance from one of your many attack options and it feels like it's down to individuals even in terms of defense.
Well it depends really. In attack imo, especially against more compact opposition that sits deep you always count on individual brilliance to make a difference which is normal - such brilliance will create numerical advantage and will open up passing alleys, so yeah in that sense we do rely on Best/Gento to beat their man draw additional opposition defender and create advantage. And of course we rely on Puskas and Di Stefano movement to engage defenders and open up spaces behind their back and ok Luis Suarez to pick up the pass and release the attacker.

with that in mind we also rely on team movement as the players are on the same wavelength and we already have proven combos that collectively can move as a unit and create space for themselves and the team.

In the defensive phase is the same. We have one dedicated marker which of course having to face a single target man helps so that we also have the spare defender in Moore to cover up. Having also GOAT defenders on the flanks I can see only as positive as they are both tactically and individually brilliant. Facchetti played in Grande Inter which was tactically well set up and owned the flank whilst Zanetti fits many roles and adjust to team instructions pretty well.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I actually thought this was pretty tight but thought Sjor would have relatively few chances against an excellent defence. If Futre had an excellent game he could win but it I think its a relatively low probability compared with Enigma's front four playing well.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Enigma_87 why is Zanetti playing more of a balanced role? Surely you want him bombing forward here .

@Šjor Bepo my only issue is the CB pairing. I'd have preferred a stopper type in place of one of those ideally.
same mate, hate sweeper sweeper combos but for this specific game it works because of the profile of his attackers

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
reasoning for the tactic is that IMO the weakest segment(aside from being a group of great players rather then a great team) of his team is in the defensive transition so the plan would be to invite pressure, be tight as feck and then hit it on the counter

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
reasoning for the tactic is that IMO the weakest segment(aside from being a group of great players rather then a great team) of his team is in the defensive transition so the plan would be to invite pressure, be tight as feck and then hit it on the counter
Krol's long passing ability to release Futre on the counter is your best route to goal.