Pardew Draft - R1 - Himannv vs NM

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
HIMANNV:

NM:

*GK is Christian Abbiati.

HIMANNV TACTICS:

Formation
: 4-3-3

Tactics:

• Possession based on the ball
  • High line high press off the ball

On the ball

Modern attacking football is going back to it's roots and we see teams committing unusual numbers going forward, while still maintaining a defensive base to build upon. As such, we are seeing single pivots or older formations like the WM making a comeback. In the case of my team, we are nicely suited to a WM as it gives our midfield an excellent base to control the game and dominate possession.

In this setup, the fullbacks tuck in centrally and we have seen both Lahm and de Boer operate more centrally and be comfortable at it. As a result, we will have a defensive base of 3 that is setup to prevent counters and deal with it centrally, while also having the option to cover wider areas if needed. The narrow shape at the base combined with the numbers (back 3) offers the advantage of making it difficult to directly get to our goal.

On the other wide of the coin, both Schweinsteiger and Rijkaard are in a position to drop deeper to gain possession, while also giving them control to feed the AMs.

Xavi and Iniesta run the game here, much like they did all those years at Barca. They keep possession and probe incessantly, using the movement and selflessness of the players in front of them to have more space to operate plus passing options ahead of them.

The front 3 are workaholics and constantly move and occupy defenders. They run into spaces and give options for the passers behind them. On top of that, all three of them have excellent goal scoring records, with Suarez leading the pack

Off the ball

Defending from the front is a key aspect of winning the ball back for this team. Rooney and Muller have a high work rate off the ball and will be busy pressing and harassing, ensuring that the team wins the ball higher up the pitch.

Rijkaard drops back into his CB position and not only shields the back 4 but also supports the AMs from the defensive cover POV.

NM TACTICS:

Defense: Nesta is a GOAT and Chiellini is solid. Great ball player / stopper combo
Full Backs : Alves and Evra will control the flanks + bomb forward as the midfield offers them a lot of protection
Midfield: Gattuso and Cerezo will sit + cover the fullbacks as needed. Orcwirk is box to box.
Attack: Ronnie and Kaka as floating AMs with Zlatan up top for the goals.

SirScholes

Voted Himannv with being a huge Rooney fan, I think prime wazza would murder Alves and that link up with Suarez would be dreamy

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Absolutely love the tactics from @Himannv

I do wonder though whether this is the best for Xavi. It seems to push him a bit too far forward and possibly a bit far to the wings on occasions. At Barca, Dani Alves, Pedro, Messi, Villa and Iniesta were ahead of him most of the time, and Alves ran the RW which allowed Xavi to be constantly central and at the hub of everything.

Probably a nit pick though. Excellent use of Rijkaard though.

Dinho on De Boer is NM's best route to goal although Iniesta and Rooney will provide additional help out there.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Beautiful team from Himannv. Though not sure on Lahm tucking in with Rijkaaed moving up. Id rather Rijkaard stay behind while Lahm makes his runs.

NM team cohesion is a bit off. Ronaldinho/Kaka must be swapped and potentially reworked as a Tree.

....Ronny.......Kaka
....Ocwirk......Gattuso
............Cerezo...........

Himannv

Absolutely love the tactics from @Himannv

I do wonder though whether this is the best for Xavi. It seems to push him a bit too far forward and possibly a bit far to the wings on occasions. At Barca, Dani Alves, Pedro, Messi, Villa and Iniesta were ahead of him most of the time, and Alves ran the RW which allowed Xavi to be constantly central and at the hub of everything.

Probably a nit pick though. Excellent use of Rijkaard though.
Thanks, that's good feedback. What are your thoughts on Schweinsteiger in this system?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Thanks, that's good feedback. What are your thoughts on Schweinsteiger in this system?
He works really well. I'm guessing he's the 2014 WC version? He can play the single pivot in the defensive phase and will be very well complemented with Rijkaard alongside him with the ball.

Another thing I like here is that you get the best out of Frank De Boer. Never the greatest player but I don't see a system better suited to him. Possibly a possession based 352 would also work.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Beautiful team from Himannv. Though not sure on Lahm tucking in with Rijkaaed moving up. Id rather Rijkaard stay behind while Lahm makes his runs.
That's the only potential fault I can find with Himanv's team at this stage. I feel Muller needs support on the right wing, whether from an overlapping FB (and he and Lahm are a fantastic proven combo) or an AM peeling wide. As great as he is as a RWF, the traditional wingery stuff, particularly 1v1s, isn't really his forte and seems like a requirement in this system.

Himannv

Yeah, that makes sense. I felt with de Boer in the side with Lahm, I figured I could get them to play centrally. I hear you and Pat regarding the need for an overlapping fullback though.

Himannv

He works really well. I'm guessing he's the 2014 WC version? He can play the single pivot in the defensive phase and will be very well complemented with Rijkaard alongside him with the ball.

Another thing I like here is that you get the best out of Frank De Boer. Never the greatest player but I don't see a system better suited to him. Possibly a possession based 352 would also work.
Yeah, that's the version of Schweinsteiger. With your point about Xavi in mind, I'm wondering how he fits in the attacking phase with more adventurous fullbacks.

In other words, what does Busquets do with Xaviesta in front of him? Does he normally slot back between the CBs or leave the CBs behind in the buildup and sits just in front of them while the FBs bomb forward?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That's the only potential fault I can find with Himanv's team at this stage. I feel Muller needs support on the right wing, whether from an overlapping FB (and he and Lahm are a fantastic proven combo) or an AM peeling wide. As great as he is as a RWF, the traditional wingery stuff, particularly 1v1s, isn't really his forte and seems like a requirement in this system.
That was my point about Xavi.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yeah, that's the version of Schweinsteiger. With your point about Xavi in mind, I'm wondering how he fits in the attacking phase with more adventurous fullbacks.

In other words, what does Busquets do with Xaviesta in front of him? Does he normally slot back between the CBs or leave the CBs behind in the buildup and sits just in front of them while the FBs bomb forward?
Have a watch of this for tactics of 2010/11 Barca.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Xavi is fine there, i dont like the front three and Courtois doesnt fit the theme.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Interesting - I thought you might like the front 3 for most part. I had a slightly different front 3 in mind when i started out, but I had to tweak the tactic a bit. What is it you dislike exactly?
Ohh i adore(playing style, Suarez is a twat) all three individually and off the ball its amazing, just feel in this system you would need a bit more quality on the ball in wide areas and someone that can actually hold the width rather then roam around or go inside which is natural for Rooney and Muller from those positions.

Himannv

Ohh i adore(playing style, Suarez is a twat) all three individually and off the ball its amazing, just feel in this system you would need a bit more quality on the ball in wide areas and someone that can actually hold the width rather then roam around or go inside which is natural for Rooney and Muller from those positions.
Lovely team @Himannv.

The only quibble I have is the front 3 feels a touch narrow/samey.
Makes sense. My original plan was to have Bergkamp as F9, but Mustard put paid to that idea.