Kick-off
Wed, 6 March 2019 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 90 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Vadim

After last night in Madrid, you get the feeling that anything could happen.

An early goal and who knows?
    I don’t share your optimism. Real Madrid are an awful side these days. Plus Ajax are a very good team with their best players on show.

We have a million injuries against one of the strongest teams in Europe.

We will be lucky to come away with a draw tonight and that’s fine by me, this isn’t on Ole or the players.

Paul_Scholes18

I think we can play better than most here think. We are strong away from home and we should have some confidence after two wins with a weak team. Yes we are without Pogba which is huge, but he was not really key in the last 2 wins anyway.

PSG without Cavani and Neymar is not the same beast going forward. Also there is a risk they are too confident and gets lazy. Particular them having Veratti gives me hope because he can often do stupid things.

Of course they are big favorites, but I have a feeling we can do it! Had the same feeling Ajax would do it yesterday so hope my feelings are right again. Keep in mind I did have a good feeling for our first game against them too so I might just overrate us and underrate PSG.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    Still in muppet mode: we're going through. Chong hattrick.

Siorac

:lol: Yeah the typo threw me off.

We were in the game when we were pressing them, 2-0 down when we weren't pressing and blocking from midfield. Parhaps Buffon is being devious there as it was clear as day they couldn't build up from the back when we pressed.
    Yeah, I don't think we can press consistently enough. That is something that takes time and lots of training. That and the injuries are why we couldn't really keep it up.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
    We should be aggressive the way Ajax was. Shit them up and say hey we're here what are you going to do about it?!
    And don't stop asking the question. Still here in your face what are you going to about it?!

shaky

I'm looking forward to this. Nothing to lose now, and still a small chance that it turns into one of those great comebacks that we'll remember for years.

Ventura

We're buttered toast here, but I want to see the boys give it a go and try to score at least. Take the game to them! Hopefully we won't concede a ton of goals.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
    I don’t share your optimism. Real Madrid are an awful side these days. Plus Ajax are a very good team with their best players on show.

We will be lucky to come away with a draw tonight and that’s fine by me, this isn’t on Ole or the players.
    Wow, easy on the anticlimax dude. :)

Siorac

Yeah, this. If we don't get absolutely stuffed we'll have no reason to complain. To get any sort of result, even a draw, would be a small miracle with so many players out.

I hope we have a go and try to play football though. Even if we do get stuffed that way in the end. I might have contradicted myself here but that's OK.

OldPop

We should be aggressive the way Ajax was. Shit them up and say hey we're here what are you going to do about it?!
    And don't stop asking the question. Still here in your face what are you going to about it?!
    Exactly so, and I want our young players to be like a swarm killer bees around Veratti.

predator

Youth NITK
    I've always been under the view that anything can happen. A 2-0 deficit is nothing major but I think after seeing Madrid collapse last night PSG will see it even more as their chance to finally get a CL title.

Excited by it

beedoubleyou

I never do these, and this probably isn't the answer, but why not.

It's a 4, 3 or 5 at the back. Can be super compact and can break at speed with Rash and Dalot feeding an in-from Rom.

-------------------DDG-------------------
    YOUNG--SMALLING--LINDELOF--SHAW
    ------------------JONES------------------
    ----McTOMINAY---------PEREIRA--------
    -DALOT----------------------RASHFORD-
    -----------------LUKAKU------------------

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
    I've always been under the view that anything can happen. A 2-0 deficit is nothing major but I think after seeing Madrid collapse last night PSG will see it even more as their chance to finally get a CL title.

Excited by it
    We have ten potential first team players missing i heard on 606 :lol:. Once i realised this i lost all hope. Such a monumental task.

In 50 home games in the champions league PSG have lost just 3 times. Those games were against Barcelona and Real Madrid. :(

No team has ever qualified after Losing the first leg at home 2-0. :(

Here’s to hoping for a historic night!:devil:

Heinzesight

I get the pessimism due to our lack of options...but we will give this a fecking good go.

You never know, an early red card for Veratti, one goes in for us off Lukaku’s left testicle (probably has better control than the big man) and it’s game on. In the hat for the next round:D

deadrevelz

Had a few beers last night and decided we were winning 3-0. It's going to happen.

Devil may care

I don't see any reason to not look forward to the game, I'm just hoping a couple of the youngsters get a decent run out, at least 25 minutes for one of them.

El Zoido

I just hope we play some youngsters and don’t get thrashed.

Gasolin

Attack, from minute one. We go for it, the boys want it, we have to hope Rashford has the sprinting power and is not injured. And Lukaku will score goals in the second half but we need the first goal to come in fast.

Darkhorsez

It's a 4, 3 or 5 at the back. Can be super compact and can break at speed with Rash and Dalot feeding an in-from Rom.

Not bad - is Jones available though?

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
    I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
    I think the key here is not letting the result of this match and tie shake our confidence because I feel we could get brushed aside tonight. We’ve been ridiculously unlucky with injuries and managed to roll on through the league but this is a different level. Still hoping for a miracle though

Alemar

Looks to be quite heavy rain in Paris this evening.
    Excellent, we need to shoot as much as we can. Buffon is 53 already and, while having good positioning, it’s difficult for him to reach balls in the corners

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    I’m psyched for tonight. It’s essentially a freeroll for the starting eleven and subs. Get out there and become legends, boys.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    The first goal is gonna be too important.

We need to be compact, i'm sure we'll have a chance to get one back in the first half. then it's really about getting the second and we can push with everything in the last 20 minutes.

If we manage to go to 0-2, the pressure will be on them and we can wait for them afterwards.
    You think that we can prevent PSG from scoring tonight?
    At OT, they scored 2. In Paris (without Pogba, Matic, Herrera), I expect them to score more than 2.

Kind of wish this game wasn't happening.
    I know what you mean.

Last edited:

roseguy64

Jones isn't there

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    My little finger tells me that we still have a decent chance, provided that we don't concede at all, we should not be afraid of PSG.
    You are being irrational.
    Here is the rational/logical point of view:

...we will be without Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Martial, Lingard and Mata, while PSG might have Cavani back in addition to Mbappe, Di Maria, Draxler and Verratti.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
    Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

This is, almost literally, the exact lineup which everyone on here, and in the press, has quoted. Considering what we have at our disposal, the lineup almost picks itself.

IrishRedDevil

Get an early first goal and anything can happen. If PSG score first, it's over. We just need to go at it from the kickoff and hope for luck and better referring than the first leg.

Who is the ref? Please tell me he is more experienced that the amateur in the first leg.

youngrell

Excited for this, despite the mountain ahead of us.

Just hope for a goal or two to celebrate and for us to show some balls and give it a go. No pressure.

Cockney Phil

I’ve gone for a mad 0-3 with a crazy setup. Rom 2 goals and Markus the other.

Jones can play midfield and sometimes quite well. The lad Garner looks useful but I have him has sub.

Today was a good day so as long as the lads try and are not overwhelmed that will be fair enough.

Ole's interview with Fotballklubben Podcast

Reddit user b993 has translated a Norwegian interview with Ole. You can read it here. Some bits of note:

• Ole's been in an apartment for about a month rather than living in the hotel.
    • Not really any disagreements with coaching staff as they have similar views on how to play football.
    • Still in contact with Molde and watches their training sessions via an app.
    • Woodward sent Ole an SMS to let him know it was him (Ole doesn't answer unknown numbers), and then they talked prior to Ole being appointed manager.
    • He told his wife first, then wasn't able to get hold of Phelan until the afternoon (Sir Alex sent a message to Phelan saying it was very important to answer when Ole called him).
    • McKenna and Carrick do most of the training sessions, Dempsey works with individual players while Phelan and Ole don't go on the training field as much - first piece of advice he was given by Sir Alex was to step back and observe.
    • Decision to work on diamond formation in Dubai (3-4 days spent on it) was the most important decision as it gave United momentum.
    • Club are now working on players they want to bring in in the summer and Ole has been part of that.
    • He wants to play in the '99 reunion game.

SirAF

Ageist
    The Reddit translation wasn’t very good, but the conversation itself was very entertaining!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw