Park Ji Sung

The White Pele

He's been a great servant for us but I think his time is up. I thought he would kick on this season - he was excellent against Chelsea towards the end of last season and I thought retiring from international football would benefit him. He doesn't seem to have the stamina he used to but still approaches games in the same way with his pressing and then surrenders possession when it comes to him. :(

forevrared

In theory, this was the perfect game for Park. He's done the job he was intended to do many times and won us loads of games doing it. But asking him to do it when he hasn't played for months was just madness.

Cold_Boy

Can't really blame Park for having a poor game.

He is awful today but the person who should be blamed is SAF.

I mean he hadn't played for ages and then suddenly starts in the biggest derby and game of all time?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Young actually looks like a threat offensively but. Can run, dribble, cross, shoot. Park offered literally nothing offensively, the only thing he offered was running around a bit and fallin over.
He's also a winger that's supposed to do that. Park isn't. At least not anymore.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Gibson shooting alone made him better than Park, plus he didn't fall over at every given opportunity.

The others are just slightly better than Park.
You're taking it too far. He's never been the 'best' player for us but he won't go down as a flop whenever he goes and to class him with that list of garbage there is insulting.

Bape

Can't really blame Park for having a poor game.

He is awful today but the person who should be blamed is SAF.

I mean he hadn't played for ages and then suddenly starts in the biggest derby and game of all time?
Agreed.

Cina

Gibson shooting alone made him better than Park, plus he didn't fall over at every given opportunity.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually one of the most idiotic posts I've encountered here in a long time. I'm in severe over reaction anger mode here myself but my god, that's just, wow.

Ash_G

In theory, this was the perfect game for Park. He's done the job he was intended to do many times and won us loads of games doing it. But asking him to do it when he hasn't played for months was just madness.
But he's done that role from the left wing, which has a much different impact then doing it in virtually the attacking midfielder role. That was the big problem, alongside not having played etc. I think he could have come in and played from the left and put in a decent shift, but playing in the middle took so much away from us as it inhibited our counter/attack so much.

Snow

But the problem was that Fergie put him in such an influential role. It's one thing him being on the left wing and tracking like crazy and making a nuisance of himself. His attacking impact on the game is isolated and being outwide he'll usually have someone like Evra as a good safety ball and then he can look to drift in unnoticed.

But putting him right in the middle, as the key link man between scholes and carrick and Rooney, Nani and Giggs just doesn't work. He doesn't have the ability or athleticism to work space for himself, nor the ability to do a quick quality ball out and so our moves are never as effective because he'll either give the ball away through weakness/sloppyness or he won't be able to pull of the right/tough ball that makes the difference.

We tried him there in the FA cup against city last year and it failed miserably, he's done it a few times in this season and looked poor there. It's just not a role he's suited to, and that role is one you just can't afford to get wrong in a game as tight as that one was always going to be.
I don't disagree with that. I thought he'd be playing as a defensive winger, not being so central. Instead he was behind Rooney, pressing City midfielders and that made Giggs pretty much pointless. Giggs wasn't on the left wing either. We just gave up that side.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I'm not basing my opinions on tonight's game, i've mentioned on many occasions that park is not good enough and IMHO i think he is the worst player i have ever seen, lacks strength and the necessary technique to play for United.

wr8_utd

:'(
We've lost the last 5 games now that Giggs and Parks have started together.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually one of the most idiotic posts I've encountered here in a long time. I'm in severe over reaction anger mode here myself but my god, that's just, wow.
Well i've cheered you up tonight :)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Kin ell. That's a retarded statement. How short some peoples memories are. This man was instrumental in helping us reach the Champions league final against Chelsea.

He was thrown to the lions tonight. Should not have been selected.

Mainoldo

Ridiculous overreactions on here. Park hadn't played in 3 months and Fergie threw him into the middle of the park, against the best midfield in the league in the biggest game of the season.

I don't blame Park for this at all, Fergie made the stupid decision by playing him.
So why play him now

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
You can't not play someone since January and expect them to come in and to a job in the biggest game of the year. Park has been very reliable over the years, but I think SAF overestimated how quickly he could get back into the swing of it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ridiculous overreactions on here. Park hadn't played in 3 months and Fergie threw him into the middle of the park, against the best midfield in the league in the biggest game of the season.

I don't blame Park for this at all, Fergie made the stupid decision by playing him.
Yep, I agree. And this wasn't even his worst game this season, I think this can be called good performance after couple of his games at start of the season. He was poor, no doubt about that, but he shouldn't be starting in first place.

Ash_G

I don't disagree with that. I thought he'd be playing as a defensive winger, not being so central. Instead he was behind Rooney, pressing City midfielders and that made Giggs pretty much pointless. Giggs wasn't on the left wing either. We just gave up that side.
lol, yeah was a bit of a dead avenue. Just can't believe we lost like that. I'd rather go all out for the win then go out with such a whimper, especially as I imagine the whole footballing world was watching today. The 433 has served us well in the past but you've got to have the right players for each role and too often I think we get it wrong.

Snow

He may aswell leave then cos if he's not a winger anymore he sure as feck is not and never will be a centre midfielder.
He also probably will. But considering how short we are in central midfield it isn't a bad thing chucking him in front of Scholes and Carrick to limit the other team. But if you do that you better have wing play on both sides. Our left wing was dead.

Ash_G

Yep, I agree. And this wasn't even his worst game this season, I think this can be called good performance after couple of his games at start of the season. He was poor, no doubt about that, but he shouldn't be starting in first place.
I'd imagine most, myself included, are lamenting the fact Park started, or mostly in my case where he played, rather than blame Park himself. He's got his strengths no doubt but he shouldn't have played and I think most who think that way, think it was a tactical mistake rather than Park being rubbish.

Snow

lol, yeah was a bit of a dead avenue. Just can't believe we lost like that. I'd rather go all out for the win then go out with such a whimper, especially as I imagine the whole footballing world was watching today. The 433 has served us well in the past but you've got to have the right players for each role and too often I think we get it wrong.
4-4-2 hasn't worked well recently at all either. We're better suited to the 4-5-1 tactic than a 4-4-2. If you watch City's chances you'll see the reason why Scholes was taken off. His tracking back isn't good because he doesn't have the legs for it really. That's why a 2 man midfield with Scholes against a strong attacking side doesn't work. It's also pretty useless having him there in this game considering how he played. His strength above all other players on the pitch is that he can pass it to a free winger no problem when other players would still be figuring out where players are around them. However there was no one on the left. He had limiting options.
Formation was right, player selection wasn't.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
So what was it, anyhow how can you say it was a good performance! Don't care if he has not played for months and the bottom line is he has been poor all season and tonight he was simply shit.

Ash_G

4-4-2 hasn't worked well recently at all either. We're better suited to the 4-5-1 tactic than a 4-4-2. If you watch City's chances you'll see the reason why Scholes was taken off. His tracking back isn't good because he doesn't have the legs for it really. That's why a 2 man midfield with Scholes against a strong attacking side doesn't work. It's also pretty useless having him there in this game considering how he played. His strength above all other players on the pitch is that he can pass it to a free winger no problem when other players would still be figuring out where players are around them. However there was no one on the left. He had limiting options.
Formation was right, player selection wasn't.
I agree that going an out and out 442 wouldn't work, not with Scholes in there, but you could get Rooney to drop in to the middle and I mean properly drop, not teeter on the edge of the hole/striker. He would offer so much more than Park. Not to mention Welbeck as an out ball is better than Rooney. Rooney is good leading the line when we have the ball lots, but when we're under pressure he's not so good. Welbeck however has the physique and pace to cause real problems, not to mention the awareness and ability to hold it up for people and play others in. Or you could put Young there and tell him to drop back.

Sure we were missing some good options in Fletcher and clev/ando but i think we could have gone differently today. Especially considering they played both Tevez and Aguero. Toure and Barry as a combo aren't that much stronger than Carrick and Scholes that it would have been such an issue, and I think having Rooney on Barry would have given City a bit more to worry about then Park.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So what was it, anyhow how can you say it was a good performance! Don't care if he has not played for months and the bottom line is he has been poor all season and tonight he was simply shit.
I meant it was good if you compare it with couple of those from start of the season. :smirk:

Snow

I agree that going an out and out 442 wouldn't work, not with Scholes in there, but you could get Rooney to drop in to the middle and I mean properly drop, not teeter on the edge of the hole/striker. He would offer so much more than Park. Not to mention Welbeck as an out ball is better than Rooney. Rooney is good leading the line when we have the ball lots, but when we're under pressure he's not so good. Welbeck however has the physique and pace to cause real problems, not to mention the awareness and ability to hold it up for people and play others in. Or you could put Young there and tell him to drop back.

Sure we were missing some good options in Fletcher and clev/ando but i think we could have gone differently today. Especially considering they played both Tevez and Aguero. Toure and Barry as a combo aren't that much stronger than Carrick and Scholes that it would have been such an issue, and I think having Rooney on Barry would have given City a bit more to worry about then Park.
Mhm. We can agree that we didn't field or strongest lineup. Park wasn't the problem. Park and Giggs and Jones was the problem. We defended fine but our attack suffered greatly. I can see why he left out Valencia. He's been declining a bit game by game lately and wasn't fresh at all when he came on.
I'd actually have started Park when I think about it. I'd have had Rafael instead of Jones, Rooney instead of Park, like you said in a deeper role helping out and not being a striker. And I'd have Park out left helping out Evra. Not being an attacking force. That could be sacrificed for the greater attacking force on the right. And preferably Berbatov up front. I sorely miss Berba and have been for a long time. He's a better player than Welbeck and Hernandez and as such he should be playing more.

Ash_G

Mhm. We can agree that we didn't field or strongest lineup. Park wasn't the problem. Park and Giggs and Jones was the problem. We defended fine but our attack suffered greatly. I can see why he left out Valencia. He's been declining a bit game by game lately and wasn't fresh at all when he came on.
I'd actually have started Park when I think about it. I'd have had Rafael instead of Jones, Rooney instead of Park, like you said in a deeper role helping out and not being a striker. And I'd have Park out left helping out Evra. Not being an attacking force. That could be sacrificed for the greater attacking force on the right. And preferably Berbatov up front. I sorely miss Berba and have been for a long time. He's a better player than Welbeck and Hernandez and as such he should be playing more.
Tbh I wouldn't have even minded Park out wide, I think others like Young will work just as hard but with a lot more threat but I can see the value of him there. As much as I like Berba though I wouldn't have gone with him. With Rooney already deep the other guy needs to stretch them and Berba won't do that. He'll condense the pitch which will reduce Scholes influence because he won't have the space to work with both for himself or his passes.

Godfather

Probably his last game for us. Ran around quite a bit, was pretty useless apart form that.

davisjw

This. Fergie is having a laugh over a spirited glass after naming him to the starting line up. Might as well put Pogba in next go around.

I don't blame Park at all. He even had some nice energy in the first half. Expectations of him being like the old Park and returning to form with pixie dust is unfounded.

I said when he retired internationally, that it was a mistake. At least for Korea he managed games when he wasn't starting for us. I hope he stays one last season. I think he still has a bit of Korean frog juice left in the bucket.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21

That's something else.

Snow

Tbh I wouldn't have even minded Park out wide, I think others like Young will work just as hard but with a lot more threat but I can see the value of him there. As much as I like Berba though I wouldn't have gone with him. With Rooney already deep the other guy needs to stretch them and Berba won't do that. He'll condense the pitch which will reduce Scholes influence because he won't have the space to work with both for himself or his passes.
Considering how many long balls we punt up the pitch having Berba would be great. Someone who can control it and not just nick it over to the next City defender. Hernandez would only be a poacher and Welbeck, I just don't like him up there. He's not that good around the box. With Rooney very deep I wouldn't want to rely on him for goals. With Welbeck up front we have been doing that.

A player like Lescott and Kompany don't like marking a Berbatov type. They'll just kick the back of his feet. He might also win some headers in the box. Our attack is freaking tiny. We're a team that crosses the ball a lot. Our float crosses are mostly useless. Most of Valencia's assists aren't floaters.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Once again though, he starts Park in our biggest game of the season over our best performing winger that season. Nani was our best player last season but Park played in the final over him. Valencia this season and Park starts again. In the past he could have put in a shift but now his work rate isn't anything more than just a little above average, and that is what happens. I don't blame him. He can't run around forever and age caught up with him. Obviously he wants to play whenever he can and you can't say he doesn't try, but he just lacks composure on the ball, strength and balance. It is a little ridiculous how many times he falls over in a game.

RK

Can't really blame Park tonight, how many minutes has he played this year?

It was the manager's choice.

Ash_G

Considering how many long balls we punt up the pitch having Berba would be great. Someone who can control it and not just nick it over to the next City defender. Hernandez would only be a poacher and Welbeck, I just don't like him up there. He's not that good around the box. With Rooney very deep I wouldn't want to rely on him for goals. With Welbeck up front we have been doing that.

A player like Lescott and Kompany don't like marking a Berbatov type. They'll just kick the back of his feet. He might also win some headers in the box. Our attack is freaking tiny. We're a team that crosses the ball a lot. Our float crosses are mostly useless. Most of Valencia's assists aren't floaters.
Maybe, I agree about Valencia though, said somehwere else we should have put him right back during the game and got him to drill some crosses in. I think Welbeck is a good lone striker though, he'll work hard and he's got the ability and athletic ability to cause problems. Either way I think most options would have been better than Park in a central role as much as I love him.