Passing from the back

AshRK

I understand it can be useful if you move the ball quicker and have forward thinking defender but what are qe thinking when we do that.

De gea passes to Maguire, Maguire passes to Lindelof, Lindelof passes to Matic who takes 5 touches before passing to Williams or just losing the possession. We were doing that without zero success from 60th minute to 75th minute.

We surely needs to be smarter as we are becoming predictable and if I were opposition manager I would ask the team to press them and we will win the ball from United's defenders. Surely we must do it smartly and not just do it for the sake of it.

I seriously hope we don't do it against Leicester as Vardy and Perez would press us like crazy.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

I understand it can be useful if you move the ball quicker and have forward thinking defender but what are qe thinking when we do that.

De gea passes to Maguire, Maguire passes to Lindelof, Lindelof passes to Matic who takes 5 touches before passing to Williams or just losing the possession. We were doing that without zero success from 60th minute to 75th minute.

We surely needs to be smarter as we are becoming predictable and if I were opposition manager I would ask the team to press them and we will win the ball from United's defenders. Surely we must do it smartly and not just do it for the sake of it.

I seriously hope we don't do it against Leicester as Vardy and Perez would press us like crazy.

As been our main problem over the last 5-6 seasons, and especially visible over the last few games: The opposition always give our fullbacks space to receive the ball, then press them from behind and trapping them. AWB always falls for this. Williams is also been "tricked" by this. OGS and the coaches do not seem capable of coaching or understanding that the opposition clogs the middle of the pitch with players and "forces" us to us the fullbacks to progress the ball. With their limited ability/understanding of how to pass and when they are getting "trapped", the effect of being dependent on the fullbacks in the buildup creates major problems for us.

Why buying a fullback that cannot pass and is a liability when on the ball or when the team is in possession is rated as good business is strange.