Paul Pogba - Juventus player

Abraxas

I don’t think saying Pogba had ability similar to Zidane is that crazy. He obviously didn’t make anywhere near the same impact from it but on our ability he’s in the top 5 Utd players I’ve ever seen. Some of the stuff he could do with the ball was genuinely insane.
It's pretty crazy. If he had the ability of Zidane he wouldn't have large swathes of a career where he was completely ineffectual. I don't think the team awards cover over that. He has had many seasons of below par performance for somebody that was supposed to be a world class footballer.

He was talented, definitely, but not to the extent where some make out as if the only thing that stopped him being a colossus was somehow a combination of his own head, or bad luck or the teams fault. Ultimately he lacked so many aspects of midfield play, and that's part of talent.

moodyred

Pogba always reminds me of the player who jogs around the field with little urgency. Doesn't do the hard work of running back to defend when needed. This is probably the most frustrating part of his play. He was good at initiating attacks with his long splitting passes, but that is just not enough nowadays.

stoinz

He was fantastic for us when he is in the mood. He played the best for us when Zlatan was here. He has the talent but needed a strong and firm hand to guide to him but unfortunately after Zlatan we have no one in the dressing room to do that. Pity how it ended for him and for us.

garelo

Indeed that's why he's the wrong agent for him. Pogba was a puppet to Raiola for his big transfer commission fees. Other players who weren't affected didn't have as much interest in public image as Pogba, or were actually mature adults who could control their own career path. Zlatan was having none of Raiola's bullshit, he only played along if he didn't have a future at the club anymore.
According to Ibra, in their first meeting Raiola told him to behave properly if he want him to be his representative, then you also had Pavel Nedved another long-term Raiola's client who stayed at Juventus for long time even when they got relegated in Serie B. I think that with Pogba the club also bore some responsibility, that we lacked direction to guide our young players, we had Mourinho who was too confrontional and Ole who was too lenient thats bad combination imho, you need to set boundaries but no need to humiliate them week in week out. Let's not forget that Pogba was not the only one young player who failed to fulfil their potential at this club.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's pretty crazy. If he had the ability of Zidane he wouldn't have large swathes of a career where he was completely ineffectual. I don't think the team awards cover over that. He has had many seasons of below par performance for somebody that was supposed to be a world class footballer.

He was talented, definitely, but not to the extent where some make out as if the only thing that stopped him being a colossus was somehow a combination of his own head, or bad luck or the teams fault. Ultimately he lacked so many aspects of midfield play, and that's part of talent.
For me the only thing Paul Pogba lacked on the pitch was effort and intensity at times. That comes back to the mental point, he just didn’t want it enough. In terms of ability on the ball, I’ve only seen Scholes at Utd with his talent level in midfield. The frustration is that Pogba COULD do everything but he didn’t.

Oranges038

B Sample came back positive.

Potential 2-4 year ban on the cards. Most likely won't be that much, but I won't be surprised if he gives up the game altogether.

Canagel

He was special.

Look at how deep he was playing and the level he was operating at despite being surrounded by nothingness.

But our fans stlll hype Zlatan and hyped Herrera over him while they were here. :lol:

Hammondo

He was special.

Look at how deep he was playing and the level he was operating at despite being surrounded by nothingness.

But our fans stlll hype Zlatan and hyped Herrera over him while they were here. :lol:
How about showing him against an opponent who actually presses him, then we can see him fall apart.

TsuWave

How about showing him against an opponent who actually presses him, then we can see him fall apart.
what does this even mean? someone posted a good video of Pogba and the retort is "why don't you post a bad video?" :confused: how is that exclusive to- ah nevermind

Hammondo

what does this even mean? someone posted a good video of Pogba and the retort is "why don't you post a bad video?" :confused: how is that exclusive to- ah nevermind
Well how about also reading what he wrote. If you are going to say Pogba was amazing and his teammates were crap, show something actually impressive, show the full picture.

FujiVice

He was special.

Manchester United 1 West Ham United ... 1

NZT-One

He was special.

Looks like we were a transitional team back then already... It was one of the better performances from Pog. He had so many things to thrive in midfield, great touch, great passing, the size, ball carrying. A shame that a few other parts were missing, defensive awareness, dynamism, workrate. It certainly didn't help, that we continued to play him in a way that hampered his skillset but there you go. At the end of the day, he won't go down as one the better football players. I was glad when he left, should have tried to get rid sooner. There was next to no chance, that we had a team ready to find a way to make him the integral part. Maybe he would have failed anyway - always thought he played the best when he was free to do, what he wanted, as soon as responsibility was there, it usually didn't do him well.

K Stand Knut

That video has to be one of the worst/weirdest attempts to re-invent an argument about a player who simply did not do enough in his time as a United player.

Weird video to choose. Pogba did very little of anything that was outstanding in the video, it included an awful dive and an absolutely atrocious pass put to the RB (Valencia, I think) amongst bang average other things

Just move on.another Clearly talented player who just didn’t cut at our club, unfortunately

Irwin99

That video has to be one of the worst/weirdest attempts to re-invent an argument about a player who simply did not do enough in his time as a United player.

Weird video to choose. Pogba did very little of anything that was outstanding in the video, it included an awful dive and an absolutely atrocious pass put to the RB (Valencia, I think) amongst bang average other things

Just move on.another Clearly talented player who just didn’t cut at our club, unfortunately
Yeah, i remember a lot of rival fans were laughing at us for some of his performances in his first season here (his first game against City was rotten, his 'performance' against Henderson and Liverpool in the game at OT too where i think he gave away a penalty). Referencing Zlatan and Herrera is a bit weird when those two players had better seasons.

For 89 million or whatever it was i think we could have expected a lot more. Guy was so talented but it just didn't work and we as fans had constant arguments about what his best position was, e.g., "he needs to play on the left of a midfield 3" and it never really mattered.

In fairness, i don't think he had the right manager at first. Jose tried to get him to play deeper and simplify his game but in the end he ran out of patience with him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
To be fair he was why I followed Juventus for a bit to the point where I found out their biggest forum is named Juventuz. Almost as if its made by a freshman during their first html coding class.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He was special.

Pretty average performance against a shit team. If that’s the best one has to offer in defence of an 89m signing, then he was even worse than I remember. And I remember him being pretty fecking terrible most of the time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He probably has one of highest ceiling I've ever seen in a midfielder. Some of his best games were really unplayable.

Unfortunately his lack of consistency and commitment failed him.

Tyrion

Pogba had some brilliant games (he played brilliantly against City iirc) but mostly he just had the odd highlight: some great pass, dribble or stepover. He never really played consistently well and had glaring problems in his game he never fixed. In hindsight, we shouldn't have signed him.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He created a bunch of chances with creative passing, capped with an assist, didn't lose the ball once, and won it back a few times.
I agree it's silly to use a single game video, but ... the video is more than good for a CM.

Kweku Amonoo

Pogba was a great footballer. We never were able to construct a balanced midfield to mitigate his few weaknesses. All we had to do was get a destroyer DM and a controller CM beside him, and let him be the maverick that he was. His combination of skill, technique and power was rare. Incredible talent

Reactions: Fortitude

ForFuchsSake

Can only assume many here are on a huge nostalgia trip and drawn to his undoubted skill and flair.

He was very talented but was nowhere near as successful as he should be. A few great touches, step-overs and pin-point passes do no reflect the overall picture. Anything that slightly resembled a press and his game would shutdown. Whether we did enough to mitigate his glaring weaknesses defensively and lack of work rate does still not compensate for the fact that that is is still a responsibility of his - particularly workrate.

Ultimately, he never truly impressed consistent throughout a season like supposed elite midfielders should (De Bruyne, Rodri, Odegaard, etc, as current examples) and only had purple patches (typically against weaker opposition). Not to mention that he was often plagued by injury. We were completely right to get rid and should have done so sooner. Another embarrassment on the club’s part.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
A very talented footballer who had a decent game every 6 or 7 matches. Far too inconsistent, and you were always waiting for him to turn into a world class player for us, lured in by a quality performance only to be disappointed the following week.

Bobski

His first couple of years at Utd were pretty good in retrospect, but he fell away badly after that. Physically he peaked very early, injuries started to take away some of the sharpness in his turning, he became more laboured in his recovery running. He always had elite technical ability but he didn't have the discipline to play a standard midfield role consistently, ok for France in a WC when focused for a few weeks but too many periods drifting during a season.

The "Pogba needs to play as the advanced left of a midfield 3, with a specific type of DM, and specific type of B2B alongside, with the moon in retrograde towards Jupiter, with a humidity level of 70% with a 7KPH south westerly breeze with the game kicking off at 3:01 not 3:00" arguments were always excuses. Great and flawed talent.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Will this fanbase ever let go of their Pogba obsession/hatred?

How many times can you have the same discussion?

90 + 5min

He was special.

He couldn't lace Zlatan shoes. To even put them in same sentence is laughable.

Pogba was very good at one thing. That was promoting him self on social media. Just like Lingard tried. As a football player, he was average. If even that. 1 good game, 20 bad games. 1 good season, 7 bad seasons.