Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

gorky_utd

Sell him quick and get Rice. No point in delaying. The season starts in 2 weeks time. Need to get midfield sorted before this.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Also according to this article, Pogba was apparently upset about how last season didn't meet his expectations. Maybe he wanted us to do way better in Europe because our league campaign wasn't as bad as many of us expected in the end.
maybe his prick of an agent shouldn't of distablised the club with his comments on the eve of the Leipzig game then

Infestissumam

it's pretty funny because "didn't meet expectations" is pretty much how I'd sum up his United career :nervous:

just get it done.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The only club Pogba can flirt with is PSG to get himself a fat new contract. I still don’t see it - the article says Pogba is tempted by PSG - not that he wants to go - it’s still all so wishy washy even after 3 weeks of speculation.

Infra-red

He should be begging for a new contract tbh not going to an irrelevant club.
If they are willing to give him and Raiola the money they want, then good luck and good riddance. Selling him this summer makes a lot of sense if we can find a willing buyer and PSG looks like the only game in town.

slored1

Cool, bye. Great player, but if he wants to leave, so be it. Also not a left winger so we shouldn't try to shoehorn him into the team this season.

Swedish_Plumber

I know they’re just reports, so can’t be 100% on truth. But he can get fecked about expectations when he can’t show consistency for more than 6 games.
Does he expect us to carry him to trophies, when he’s the most talented player in the side and not performing for the vast majority of his time here?
Need more stand up and be counted players who just get on with things and not those who create some media circus via their greedy agent.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I wonder if he’s thinking differently now that we have Sancho and Varane. If we get a CDM that can sit deep and clean everything up, do the work of two like Makalele used to, it can unlock Pogba to shine.

if I was him I might think about Chelsea, Kante or Jorginho can do that job.

Martial

key takeaways:

- talks expected soon, both PSG and Pogba are interested
- no official bid yet, but things could accelerate
- PSG monitoring the situation for months
- Herrera and Rafinha could leave if they sign Pogba
This day just keeps getting better and better!

Infra-red

I wonder if he’s thinking differently now that we have Sancho and Varane. If we get a CDM that can sit deep and clean everything up, do the work of two like Makalele used to, it can unlock Pogba to shine.

He doesn't care about any of that.

He and Raiola want a fortune in wages and a massive signing on bonus - this is Pogba's last big contract and Raiola's last chance to make some money on the player. We're not going to give it to them, but PSG hopefully will.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If he's staying, I hope Varane will sort his defending game in few shouts on the pitch... Feels like the longer it gets, the more uncertainty at final shape of the 1st squad and formation, while there's just few pre-season games left.

Marwood

He would have been a world class #10 in the nineties.

In the 2020's, he doesn't really have a position.
I've said this before but at this stage he's really similar to Cantona.

Now imagine playing Cantona in any of the midfield positions.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It sounds like we have to sell him for the same reason Madrid sold Varane. He would leave on a free if not. But if it's true we only have a £100 mlliion budget this window, then we have to sell now anyway in order to buy. We need Pogba but he's only useful if he has a good DM behind him. And it's either/or. Otherwise it's McFred.

ti vu

The only club Pogba can flirt with is PSG to get himself a fat new contract. I still don’t see it - the article says Pogba is tempted by PSG - not that he wants to go - it’s still all so wishy washy even after 3 weeks of speculation.
There is another player in play that would push the deal over the line. It's us that need to consider to sell as Pogba is in the last year of his contract. Few months before he can sign pre contract with overseas clubs to leave for free next summer.

Just similar situation to Real Madrid being forced to sell after Varane refused to renew. Varane didn't hand in transfer request, nor refusing to return to training to force the move. It's still enough pressure for Real Madrid take a reasonable offer now.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
He doesn't care about any of that.

He and Raiola want a fortune in wages and a massive signing on bonus - this is Pogba's last big contract and Raiola's last chance to make some money on the player. We're not going to give it to them, but PSG hopefully will.
If they don’t, resigning may make more sense for Pogba then Raiola. It looks like only PSG will break the bank for Pogba, which doesn’t help his or our bargaining position.

I think we would have sold Pogba last season if not for the pandemic.

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
He's a nice bonus player of high quality to have. Pre-Bruno we looked creatively lost without him on the pitch, but that's not the case any more, with greater creative options up front with and without Bruno. And with our lacking DM options he never looks quite the player he could be.

If we sign a DM we could unlock more of his ability, giving us a top class midfield. But signing a DM would also get a lot more out of all of our other midfielders too, I think Fred (free to be the ball presser he is at best) and McTominay(free to make runs to the box more) would both benefit heavily from having proper cover behind them. VdB would probably benefit from a more solid platform too.

But we would have a lot of midfielders, and if letting him go now instead of on a free later makes it easier financially to get a DM, or allow us to budget for a higher tier DM, then I'd let him go in a heartbeat, since the fee even if small paired with his huge wages would leave room for a very substantial signing.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
There is another player in play that would push the deal over the line. It's us that considering to sell as Pogba is in the last year of his contract. Few months before he can sign pre contract with overseas clubs to leave for free next summer.

Just similar to Real Madrid being forced to sell after Varane refusing to renew. Varane didn't hand in transfer request. It's still enough pressure for Real Madrid take a reasonable offer now.
Varane told Madrid he wasn’t renewing. Every reliable United source is saying we’re still in negotiations with Pogba - even that RMC report who have been pushing him going to PSG for 3 weeks doesn’t even confirm that he’s said he wants to join them. It’s all noise at the moment. People forget last summer Raiola came out and said Pogba wanted to stay as he was a big part of our project and all the noise was he was signing a new contract. Then after catching COVID and being dropped it was all about how he wanted to leave again and Ole is a cnut. Ultimately I don’t trust any of it - maybe he is off to PSG but I don’t see him playing in France at his peak years. 2 year extension then he can feck off to Spain when they sort out their finances and we still get a fee - seems an obvious win-win for everyone to me.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we can get a proper CDM by selling him, I’m all for it. The player may not be as good as Pogba, but if we can get someone who works our system better, then we progress.

ti vu

Varane told Madrid he wasn’t renewing. Every reliable United source is saying we’re still in negotiations with Pogba - even that RMC report who have been pushing him going to PSG for 3 weeks doesn’t even confirm that he’s said he wants to join them. It’s all noise at the moment. People forget last summer Raiola came out and said Pogba wanted to stay as he was a big part of our project and all the noise was he was signing a new contract. Then after catching COVID and being dropped it was all about how he wanted to leave again and Ole is a cnut. Ultimately I don’t trust any of it - maybe he is off to PSG but I don’t see him playing in France at his peak years. 2 year extension then he can feck off to Spain when they sort out their finances and we still get a fee - seems an obvious win-win for everyone to me.
Pogba rejected our offer to renew. Thread title changed to reflect on that info.

Pogba already experienced success with Juve, so it's not that weird for him to settle down with PSG on a wealthy wage. Seeing that with the pandemic, PSG's financial doping is one of the favorite for CL. Real Madrid, Juventus just can't afford him now. Staying with us doesn't guarantee success. We need to sort of his contract now (extend or sell). All the ingredients are available to cook up the transfer just like Varane.

SeanyC

In one hand I’d love this to be his thinking because let’s be honest the French league is crap and he’s only going because he’s pretty much guaranteed a league title every season and in the PL it’s a challenge.
On the other I’m sick of hearing if he’s staying or going, it’s that fat agent pulling the strings looking for one last big pay day off him and for that I’d love for him to leave.
All about the ££££ unfortunately, so Pogba…decide, what do you want, a challenge or money?? That would be the question I would ask him

ti vu

Show me a single reliable source that says he rejected a new deal? The mirror reported it and sky jumped all over it. Romano says we’re still negotiating as does Ole - that’s enough for me.
Ole: "The talks between the club and Paul’s representatives, I am not in the detail of every single one of them, so I have got nothing to say really about that."

"There’s always speculation about Paul and there’s always clubs being interested."

“Of course, we have seen Paul at his best and Paul knows what we feel about it. And of course, I have enjoyed my time working with him and hopefully, we can work together. Let’s see what happens.”

Nothing different to how Real Madrid still try to talk with Varane's reps about the contract until the past few days. The keyword is progress of the talk, which we haven't gotten nowhere from when Raiola publicly stated Pogba's time at United is coming to an end. That's biggest reputable statement so far regarding Pogba!

Ole basically passed the ball here saying he got nothing to say. Let's wait and see, and hope. Neither confirming progress, nor denying approach from other clubs. Again similar to Varane's

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Also according to this article, Pogba was apparently upset about how last season didn't meet his expectations. Maybe he wanted us to do way better in Europe because our league campaign wasn't as bad as many of us expected in the end.
It’s ironic because I would say that most football commentators and fans would say they are disappointed with HIS contribution and the fact he is a star player on massive wages who consistently doesn’t do enough, which is, in turn, a significant part of the reason we fall short.

I honestly can’t wait for him to leave.

We have players of the stature of Varane choosing to be at United at the peak of their power. We don’t need this inconsistent complainer and his agent mouthing off every few months. We should be above that as a club.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The way pogba goes on is like he wants everyone else to do the work for him but the media to say he was the one who done it. He's just going to goto a club for an easy ride. He's not arsed about a challenge at all.

He will be loved at PSG, win the French league at ease every year, and get paid loads. It'll feed his ego perfectly.

PieCrust

Great player and by all accounts good in the locker room, but never lived up to expectations and has never really fit into any of our managers tactical setup. Time to move on. Good luck in Paris.

theklr

Cant stand losing him on a free so really really hope there is merit to this

PSG is probably the only club that can/will offer him higher wages than us as well

Infestissumam

Show me a single reliable source that says he rejected a new deal? The mirror reported it and sky jumped all over it. Romano says we’re still negotiating as does Ole - that’s enough for me.
it's down to wording, I guess. Ducker just released a piece where he writes "Pogba, 28, has yet to offer United any encouragement that he will sign a new deal".

doesn't use the word "reject", but the result is the same.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Ole: "The talks between the club and Paul’s representatives, I am not in the detail of every single one of them, so I have got nothing to say really about that."

"There’s always speculation about Paul and there’s always clubs being interested."

“Of course, we have seen Paul at his best and Paul knows what we feel about it. And of course, I have enjoyed my time working with him and hopefully, we can work together. Let’s see what happens.”

Nothing different to how Real Madrid still try to talk with Varane's reps about the contract until the past few days. The keyword is progress of the talk, which we haven't gotten nowhere from when Raiola publicly stated Pogba's time at United is coming to an end. That's biggest reputable statement so far regarding Pogba!

Ole basically passed the ball here saying he got nothing to say. Let's wait and see, and hope. Neither confirming progress, nor denying approach from other clubs. Again similar to Varane's
2 years ago we had “Madrid preparing bid” stories every day - like you say let’s just wait and see.

To the many so desperate to see him leave - If you’re Ole and the media/high number of fans are basically demanding you challenge for the title or get sacked this season - and you see City are about to add Grealish and probably Kane to their squad - Do you want Pogba for another year or not? Or are you more likely to win the league with a 40m replacement? I think it’s a pretty easy question to answer myself but seem to be in a minority.

JTRI

Maybe it’s the way the media and his agent are spinning it but it comes across as though Pogba feels like he is owed trophies and the club is holding him back, it puts the fans backs up and I’m not sure many will be devastated to see him go. Maybe it’s an ego thing or maybe he thinks time is running out but at least PSG guarantees him titles, albeit second rate ones he thinks he deserves.

In terms of natural ability I still think he is the best in our squad and it’s hard if not impossible to replace what he offers on his day. A player that doesn’t want to be here though and an agent mouthing off every other week must do the squad more harm than good no matter how good he is.

theklr

2 years ago we had “Madrid preparing bid” stories every day - like you say let’s just wait and see.

To the many so desperate to see him leave - If you’re Ole and the media/high number of fans are basically demanding you challenge for the title or get sacked this season - and you see City are about to add Grealish and probably Kane to their squad - Do you want Pogba for another year or not? Or are you more likely to win the league with a 40m replacement? I think it’s a pretty easy question to answer myself but seem to be in a minority.
Well that depends really, if that 40m replacement brings more balance to the team it could actually be. Id very much like to keep him but atm he is not even a guaranteed starter because we cant fit him in, especially with Sancho coming in.

If that 40m signing was a major upgrade on McT or Fred for instance wouldnt that make our team better ?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Well that depends really, if that 40m replacement brings more balance to the team it could actually be. Id very much like to keep him but atm he is not even a guaranteed starter because we cant fit him in, especially with Sancho coming in.

If that 40m signing was a major upgrade on McT or Fred for instance wouldnt that make our team better ?
But you can sell numerous other players to get that mythical 40m Fred upgrade - why do you have to sell Pogba to do it?

skc_18

I have always wondered what his problem was at Man United. Amazing touch , amazing passing ability, great dribbling and good physically too but its been close to disaster for both Pogba and Man Utd. People blame him not for scoring more goals or assists but more on how he helped opposition teams by losing possession in dangerous areas.

I think his main problem at Utd is , every time he gets the ball he tries to create chance (mostly because of our counter attacking style). Instead if he spends more on just casual passing to player with one touch and retain position he would have been great. Both he and Man utd coaching should have worked just on that instead of creating magic every time.

I could see he would be awesome player for a team which presses and holds possession. Or in a team where there are other world-class players and opposition is busy marking them.

theklr

But you can sell numerous other players to get that mythical 40m Fred upgrade - why do you have to sell Pogba to do it?
You really have to sell him if he wont extend and will go on a free.

My point was just that it could be a net positive for the team in some cases

forevrared

I don’t know if there’s ever been a player at United I’ve been as ambivalent about as I am nowadays about Pogba.

I watched so much of him in the youth team and was gutted when he left, watched a lot of his time at Juve wondering “what if”, then was ecstatic when he came back. Regardless of how in flux the club has been in his second spell, it’s just never really come off for him. Unfortunately it feels more down to lack of effort than anything. Watching him for France and watching him for United is like watching two completely different players. We rarely see the effort that comes with his best performances. The majority of his second spell now has been characterized by his repeated flirting with other clubs each summer and international break. It’s just tiresome and his performances have not been worth the headache. Hope PSG take him.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Imagine we are left with McTominay as a starter for the most games after bringing Sancho and Varane, If selling him, and probably won't be another chance to do so, is the best way to get funds for our DM, we should do it now. We will lack a bit of creativity and xfactor but we can't get away with starting McTominay for another season..let alone Fred can get brutn and injured too and we are truly fecked with Matic still around..

podurban2

I have always wondered what his problem was at Man United. Amazing touch , amazing passing ability, great dribbling and good physically too but its been close to disaster for both Pogba and Man Utd. People blame him not for scoring more goals or assists but more on how he helped opposition teams by losing possession in dangerous areas.

I think his main problem at Utd is , every time he gets the ball he tries to create chance (mostly because of our counter attacking style). Instead if he spends more on just casual passing to player with one touch and retain position he would have been great. Both he and Man utd coaching should have worked just on that instead of creating magic every time.

I could see he would be awesome player for a team which presses and holds possession. Or in a team where there are other world-class players and opposition is busy marking them.
Partly true but it’s also the amount of times he chooses to linger on the ball instead of playing it, often leading to him misplacing a pass or getting run over by 2-3 opposition players. Coupled with his inability in being a box-to-box type of player in midfield.

Anyway, PSG is not a great choice imo. Here he will at least also have the PL to fight for each year in order to become a true great. In France it’s the CL (numerous times) or bust, and they haven’t really showed that they will succeed with that.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
You really have to sell him if he wont extend and will go on a free.
Bayern didn’t sell Alaba. Liverpool didn’t sell wijnaldum. Why do you have to sell for 40m? Because it’s embarrassing? We’re more likely to win the league with him than without him next year and if I’m Ole that’s all I care about. I’d rather sell James and Lingard to keep Pogba for a year than sell Pogba and keep James and Lingard for 5 years.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
In one hand I’d love this to be his thinking because let’s be honest the French league is crap and he’s only going because he’s pretty much guaranteed a league title every season and in the PL it’s a challenge.
On the other I’m sick of hearing if he’s staying or going, it’s that fat agent pulling the strings looking for one last big pay day off him and for that I’d love for him to leave.
All about the ££££ unfortunately, so Pogba…decide, what do you want, a challenge or money?? That would be the question I would ask him
He's never shown elite drive to compete. I think he likes the money and fame much more than the football. I don't mind if he leaves at all, I can't stand how easily he is dispossessed.

edcunited1878

Bayern didn’t sell Alaba. Liverpool didn’t sell wijnaldum. Why do you have to sell for 40m? Because it’s embarrassing? We’re more likely to win the league with him than without him next year and if I’m Ole that’s all I care about. I’d rather sell James and Lingard to keep Pogba for a year than sell Pogba and keep James and Lingard for 5 years.
But the player isn't committed to the cause anymore. If you're not engaged and committed mentally, then it doesn't matter what you could do physically. Ole's always kept United's best interest before his and he knows that the club is always bigger than one player. The short-term and long-term health of the squad will be better if Pogba goes and United is able to get in a player that suits the central midfield and team.