Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

432JuanMata

Also according to this article, Pogba was apparently upset about how last season didn't meet his expectations. Maybe he wanted us to do way better in Europe because our league campaign wasn't as bad as many of us expected in the end.
Or maybe that when he was fit and performing he dragged us to top of league and then when he came back we were out of the title race.
While he would have a point, the other point would be stop getting injuried all the time could help

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
But the player isn't committed to the cause anymore. If you're not engaged and committed mentally, then it doesn't matter what you could do physically. Ole's always kept United's best interest before his and he knows that the club is always bigger than one player. The short-term and long-term health of the squad will be better if Pogba goes and United is able to get in a player that suits the central midfield and team.
Weird. He was one of our best players the second half of last year.

Artorias

Bayern didn’t sell Alaba. Liverpool didn’t sell wijnaldum. Why do you have to sell for 40m? Because it’s embarrassing? We’re more likely to win the league with him than without him next year and if I’m Ole that’s all I care about. I’d rather sell James and Lingard to keep Pogba for a year than sell Pogba and keep James and Lingard for 5 years.
Assuming he wants to play, most likely he will do a "Neymar" some months and barely play.
Sell him ASAP and get a team player, not a talented diva who don't want to be here.

432JuanMata

But the player isn't committed to the cause anymore. If you're not engaged and committed mentally, then it doesn't matter what you could do physically. Ole's always kept United's best interest before his and he knows that the club is always bigger than one player. The short-term and long-term health of the squad will be better if Pogba goes and United is able to get in a player that suits the central midfield and team.
While I get your point if we are in with a chance Pogba will perform no doubt in a league challenge, also if we won the league and he left he would go out on a good note

littleman

While I think we're going to lose some penetrative qualities without Pogba, I don't think we have the right balance if he starts alongside Bruno. We should sell and build around Bruno, Sancho, Varane and Shaw. Next tier would be Maguire, Rashford, Greenwood and Wan Bissaka.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I think he just needs to go tbh. Hopefully PSG come in with a decent bid. He's a great player when he wants to be, but even if he does change his mind and stay we don't need a player who doesn't know if he is committed or not. And nobody needs another 5 years of his agent and family mouthing off in the press and Paul making lovey-dovey eyes at every rich club in Europe.

edcunited1878

Weird. He was one of our best players the second half of last year.
That was last year, but he's looking in a years time now looking to get handsomely paid (which from the looks of it would break the current wage structure) as this will be his last major contract taking him into his early to mid 30s. He would have played a much larger role on the team from central midfield and left forward if he didn't get injured against Everton. He found a different gear.

But that was last year.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
While I get your point if we are in with a chance Pogba will perform no doubt in a league challenge, also if we won the league and he left he would go out on a good note
I don’t understand why people assume he’s half assing it because we don’t have a chance to win the league. He’s never in his career shown he can be consistent over the course of a league campaign.

At Juventus, he was a comfortable third wheel in an otherwise experienced midfield. At United, he’s been tried in every role possible from deeper playmaking to attacking midfield to the left wing and he still blows hit and cold. He’s only slightly more consistent than Martial, despite the enormous talent.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
That was last year, but he's looking in a years time now looking to get handsomely paid (which from the looks of it would break the current wage structure) as this will be his last major contract taking him into his early to mid 30s. He would have played a much larger role on the team from central midfield and left forward if he didn't get injured against Everton. He found a different gear.

But that was last year.
Ah right. So the best way to get interest in himself and generate an auction that gets him a massive pay check is to be shite for a year and get benched. Makes perfect sense.

432JuanMata

I don’t understand why people assume he’s half assing it because we don’t have a chance to win the league. He’s never in his career shown he can be consistent over the course of a league campaign.

At Juventus, he was a comfortable third wheel in an otherwise experienced midfield. At United, he’s been tried in every role possible from deeper playmaking to attacking midfield to the left wing and he still blows hit and cold. He’s only slightly more consistent than Martial, despite the enormous talent.
Not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying he won’t down tools just because he didn’t move. He was comfortably our best player near Xmas when we went top and was playing more simple yet more affective with Bruno in the team.

Im not saying that he only plays bad because we are bad he will always have bad games, I’m saying if we are anywhere near the top he can make the difference

ti vu

2 years ago we had “Madrid preparing bid” stories every day - like you say let’s just wait and see.

To the many so desperate to see him leave - If you’re Ole and the media/high number of fans are basically demanding you challenge for the title or get sacked this season - and you see City are about to add Grealish and probably Kane to their squad - Do you want Pogba for another year or not? Or are you more likely to win the league with a 40m replacement? I think it’s a pretty easy question to answer myself but seem to be in a minority.
Different situation all together. Final year of contract is a bitch to deal with nowadays with transfer budget being limited by the pandemic.

Some fans, me included, consider title challenge as a must from now on. However, honestly, I feel that Glazers would be happy enough with top 4 if it means they're not losing tens, or even hundred of millions of free agent players value and purchase of their replacement. Ole always sounds like the guy who would go along with any decisions from the higher up. With the new contract, he's in position where he's even more comfortable now than ever. He's not SAF who both has the drive to win as well as has right to most important decision in whether he wants the player stay, or go. If Ole is, he needs to explain the renewal of Jones, Pereira, Mata... All though should have been let go for free, and saved us the trouble now. Clearly just like he said now, he's not the man who is informed in every detail, aka a head coach.

Even if one is serious about title challenging, having Pogba around doesn't guarantee to extracting the best out of him. With the final one year of contract, there is new question: if you can't challenge with Pogba, what would you do without him with no money to replace him?

Judas

Open to offers
I fear we sell him and then not signing any replacement midfielder.
As much as I had this fear months ago, the way we're going about our business this summer I'd be beyond shocked if we didn't replace him. Not like for like, as we literally don't want another player like Pogba who doesn't fit in our side.

432JuanMata

Ah right. So the best way to get interest in himself and generate an auction that gets him a massive pay check is to be shite for a year and get benched. Makes perfect sense.
I’m sorry but that is wrong. I’m all for letting Pogba go and his time here has overall been a letdown, but if you had of said injuries I would of said fair but he was our best player with Bruno when fit and people seem to forget that.

Doesn’t mean I want him to stay or think we should offer him a big contract just that he was great when fit last season

edcunited1878

He's trying to get the most money and term length out of United...and it seems like they don't agree on wages nor term. He's going to get paid by United on their terms, or turn down a contract and get paid massive wages due to no transfer fee.

In a year's time, he's either the highest paid United player who still isn't first name on the team sheet and could play one of two positions or he's the highest paid PSG player without a transfer fee attached to his name in a farmer's league in Paris...a club he stated he didn't want to play for because of his family's ties to Marsaille.

ti vu

Wjinaldum was far from his best the past season, yet PSG didn't hesitate to offer him better contract than Barcelona and Liverpool. Sergio Ramos is similar. Fell off the cliff last season, and PSG's still fine with his prime superstar demand.

We're talking about free agent of high profile players, and PSG.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
I’m sorry but that is wrong. I’m all for letting Pogba go and his time here has overall been a letdown, but if you had of said injuries I would of said fair but he was our best player with Bruno when fit and people seem to forget that.

Doesn’t mean I want him to stay or think we should offer him a big contract just that he was great when fit last season
Eh? I’m arguing against the notion that if we kept him another year he wouldn’t put any effort in. I’m on your side! In fact I’m going further - we should offer him a 2 year extension with a pay increase. We protect his value, he gets paid more and spends another 2 years here in his prime with Varane et al and then he can get his big final pay day move to Spain when they’ve recovered financially at 30 with still plenty to give. Everybody wins.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying he won’t down tools just because he didn’t move. He was comfortably our best player near Xmas when we went top and was playing more simple yet more affective with Bruno in the team.

Im not saying that he only plays bad because we are bad he will always have bad games, I’m saying if we are anywhere near the top he can make the difference
As a 28 year old earning 350k a week in the prime of his athletic career, he should be the one setting the standard and performance level in our midfield week in and week out. Anything else is a let down and he should be moved on to another club where he can flatter to deceive.

He’s mercurial, always been that and he struggles to do the simple things consistently well. It’s hard to win a league while carrying that sort of wild card.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Bayern didn’t sell Alaba. Liverpool didn’t sell wijnaldum. Why do you have to sell for 40m? Because it’s embarrassing? We’re more likely to win the league with him than without him next year and if I’m Ole that’s all I care about. I’d rather sell James and Lingard to keep Pogba for a year than sell Pogba and keep James and Lingard for 5 years.
I agree. But I'd rather sell Pogba, Lingard and James to get a DM than keep Pogba for another season and don't get any money for him next summer.

I think it's very likely we need to sell big if we want to buy another player this window.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Sell him and who do you replace him with? Goretzka? Unlikely. Saul? Not the same talent level. Locatelli? Off to Juve. Give him a one-year extension and assess after the season.

alexthelion

Eh? I’m arguing against the notion that if we kept him another year he wouldn’t put any effort in. I’m on your side! In fact I’m going further - we should offer him a 2 year extension with a pay increase. We protect his value, he gets paid more and spends another 2 years here in his prime with Varane et al and then he can get his big final pay day move to Spain when they’ve recovered financially at 30 with still plenty to give. Everybody wins.
He's not earned it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What DM do we need 90m quid for?
It's difficult to do the math as we don't know really how much we can get for those 3. I'd say closer to 60-65m quid but it's just a guess, like yours.
Anyway, if the reports are true, we need to sell after Sancho and Varane transfers. So the small fishes will not cover for another big transfer, whether that is 50 or 90m quid it doesn't matter.

432JuanMata

As a 28 year old earning 350k a week in the prime of his athletic career, he should be the one setting the standard and performance level in our midfield week in and week out. Anything else is a let down and he should be moved on to another club where he can flatter to deceive.

He’s mercurial, always been that and he struggles to do the simple things consistently well. It’s hard to win a league while carrying that sort of wild card.
I’m not necessarily disagreeing, Pogba to me was always the last piece of the puzzle not the first. He would make a already great team better not make a decent team good. I’m not saying give him more money or a new contract but if the rumours of 40m are to be believed I wouldn’t sell for that as he could make the difference in a title challenge.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not hating but take out Pogba we have Scott, Fred, Matic and VDB. Yes they will give more effort but my god that is never good enough to challenge

Infestissumam

I'm sorry, but why are some people here saying "just sign him to a one-year or two-year extension"? That's just not going to happen, they'll look for a massive contract.

edcunited1878

Does he? Source? Goretzka wants to leave too then right? What with good sources saying he’s talking to us? Or is it only players linked with United who are using clubs for a pay day?
It's been reported he's declined or isn't going to accept the terms United have given him for an extension. The club has to make a decision. Of course I'd want him to stay and play out the season, but I'm more interested in bringing in whoever this season and possibly next season because next season will require a center forward...that's going to be huge money involved.

Pogba isn't going to accept at 2 year bridge deal. He's going to get the maximum wage and transfer fee as this is his last massive deal on wages and potential fee entering his mid 30s. Pogba will probably take a 4 year deal above 410K Euros per week.

It's all about money right now for Pogba and suiters. Seems like he's lost some leverage with Zidane not managing Real if you're to believe that Perez doesn't really want him because Mbappe is the priority.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sell him and who do you replace him with? Goretzka? Unlikely. Saul? Not the same talent level. Locatelli? Off to Juve. Give him a one-year extension and assess after the season.
You think we've not done it by now? I'd bet we have offered him an extension a year ago already.

Offering a pay rise and meeting Pogba demands are two different things.

Chairman Steve

This is the reverse of Varane. We’re hopeful we can hold out for something close to £50m but it’ll end up being closer to £40m.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

You think we've not done it by now? I'd bet we have offered him an extension a year ago already.

Offering a pay rise and meeting Pogba demands are two different things.
That was before Varane though. Does he want to play with just Neymar at PSG with Mbappe moving away to RM?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is the reverse of Varane. We’re hopeful we can hold out for something close to £50m but it’ll end up being closer to £40m.
I don't think we will, Real needed the Varane money we don't need the Pogba money. The club clearly want to change this perception that we're mugs in the transfer market.

Pay up or feck off

Mickeza

still gets no respect
It's difficult to do the math as we don't know really how much we can get for those 3. I'd say closer to 60-65m quid but it's just a guess, like yours.
Anyway, if the reports are true, we need to sell after Sancho and Varane transfers. So the small fishes will not cover for another big transfer, whether that is 50 or 90m quid it doesn't matter.
60m quid for James, Lingard and Pogba? Wow. Okay, let’s go 60m then - who are we signing at 60m to replace those three that makes us more likely to win the league next year? That’s what it’s about. You don’t sign a 28 year old Varane to partner a 28 year old Maguire if you aren’t building a side to win now. There’s sod all point bringing in an 18 year old to replace Pogba who will peak when those two have retired. For the first time in 8 years I’m looking at a squad that’s one signing away from being genuine challengers - keeping Pogba makes that squad stronger - so let’s keep him a year and take the risk he doesn’t extend. It’s amusing this entire forum moans about how the glazers don’t care about winning - top 4 is all that matters - yet they’re delighted to sell a player who is undoubtedly a difference maker despite what his critics say just to bring in some money and stop us losing a player on a free. Real ambition would be to say feck it - keep that 40m (or the 30m you’ve valued him at) and go all in on winning the league.

Anyway - it looks like PSG are about to bid - he’s refused a contract and wants to move as a priority to PSG.

LonelyFire

It blows my mind that some Utd fans would actually countenance him staying next season. He’s out of contract in a year and his agent is Mino Raiola….it’s already a complete circus, never mind letting him get close to negotiating a free transfer. He walked out on us before and he will do it again. It’s madness to even consider this.

Sell him. Sell him immediately.