Paul Pogba / turned down United offer of 300k as “nothing”

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I maintain that in a very high percentage of games he can play in a two so long as his partner is specifically a DM who has legs and a good engine to sweep up. We don’t have that.

Particularly when you factor in our improved CB pairing. McFred exists in part to protect Lindelof, it’s one of the reasons that highlights the difficulty in pairing Pogba with any of the current midfield options, as we don’t have a DM capable of covering Lindelof and Pogba when the latter wants to implement his skill set going forwards.

One issue is corrected with Varane, allowing us to push up the pitch more, this is a vital step in our progression on the pitch with or without Pogba imo. But if fixes one issue for Pogba, partner him with a top DM (we need one anyway) and I believe that’s more than adequate to play against 90% of teams.

Also who do we sign that is more talented and capable than Pogba? Who?
There are next to zero players who have his skill set, he’s a unique mix. He can also cover for Bruno for rotation and injury, let’s face it if Bruno is injured we are in sh*t street creatively from midfield.

To me it’s harder to replace him than supplement him (and make the most of him)… and that’s me thinking of the team first and foremost, not Pogba. Again in my opinion I think the club are thinking along the same lines.
I really have no idea who we can sign, I'm not deep into transfer rumors and I only watch United games. But if we can get an upgrade on Fred, then we are a better team right away (we usually struggle against top 6, and Pogba doesn't play in midfield against those anyway). I'm sure we can get an upgrade on Fred. Tielemans would be perfect, but probably someone in that mold.

Anyway, I want to have a midfielder who will be the core of the team against both the weakest teams and the strongest teams, I see no point in having a player like Pogba who like you say is not adequate to play in midfield against top 10% of opponents (and I'd agree on that estimation). This is where we struggled last season, not against minor teams.

Red_toad

Now that PSG are signing Messi, I am quite confident he will renew.
He‘ll be off to Real next summer on a freebie. It’s his dream and they’ll need a refresh in the middle of the park by then. Once it’s January his agent will be seeking the best deal for him and the circus will ramp up big style.

Scholsey2004

He‘ll be off to Real next summer on a freebie. It’s his dream and they’ll need a refresh in the middle of the park by then. Once it’s January his agent will be seeking the best deal for him and the circus will ramp up big style.
I think PSG are more likely now (edit; if he leaves. I think it'll be a case of most lucrative offer which of course doesnt rule us out} . The Real interest seems to have ebbed away over the last couple of years.

theklr

I think PSG are more likely now (edit; if he leaves. I think it'll be a case of most lucrative offer which of course doesnt rule us out} . The Real interest seems to have ebbed away over the last couple of years.
If Real can get him on a free (and getting Mbappe) I think they will be seriously interested. Thats almost the perfect linkup

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Well said. Bruno shows what Pogba should be at half the cost. Put it another way, we were going nowhere fast when Pogba was here and Bruno wasn't.
Yes because we didn’t have Maguire, we had ashley young at RB and we had Perreira or Lingard playing as a 10. I expect us to kick on further this season with Varane replacing Lindelof and Sancho, who could be our best player, also coming in. A team is the sum of its parts. Try throwing Bruno into a side with Blind at CB, Fellaini in CM, Valencia at RB, Mata on RW a finished Wayne Rooney trying to emulate Scholes. Let’s see how fast he gets that side going. Apples and oranges.

With the signings we’ve made this season we might actually win something?

Scholsey2004

If Real can get him on a free (and getting Mbappe) I think they will be seriously interested. Thats almost the perfect linkup
I'd be very suspicious of Real's finances nowadays, even on a free Mbape will be expensive to the extent that i doubt theyd be offering Pogba anything like how much he would get at PSG or here.

theklr

I'd be very suspicious of Real's finances nowadays, even on a free Mbape will be expensive to the extent that i doubt theyd be offering Pogba anything like how much he would get at PSG or here.
Well I agree with that, but I can see Pogba lowering his demands to finally get his dream move

Scholsey2004

Well I agree with that, but I can see Pogba lowering his demands to finally get his dream move
I doubt that post Zidane its as appealing to him there as it once was. Their squad looks to marching over the hill together and a lot of the big stars have been inadequately replaced.

wolvored

Look Pogba doesn't want to be here. He would have come out and said he was happy and signed the contract offered. If he's hoping to fleece us because no one else will pay him what he wants, or the club's he wants to join havent made a move. Why would we try and keep a player who through his mouthpiece always runs the club down or talks other shit. Do you support the club or the player. We should sell as I can see him playing his half assed style most of the time if we don't let him leave.

laughtersassassin

Look Pogba doesn't want to be here. He would have come out and said he was happy and signed the contract offered. If he's hoping to fleece us because no one else will pay him what he wants, or the club's he wants to join havent made a move. Why would we try and keep a player who through his mouthpiece always runs the club down or talks other shit. Do you support the club or the player. We should sell as I can see him playing his half assed style most of the time if we don't let him leave.
The club want him to stay this season regardless of if he signs a new contract.

What part of that don't you understand?

He has never downed tools. He has a great attitude. Always has.

Schnappo

People really need to stop looking at situations like this from a fan perspective. Ultimately it's business. I'm sure his priority is getting the biggest contract he possibly can because it's likely his last opportunity to do so. If he can get a massive contract here, then I'm sure he'd be happy. He'd probably be equally happy getting a massive contract at Real Madrid, PSG, or whoever else wants to throw their name in the hat - it's business. Whether you like it or not, by going into the last few months of his contract puts him in the strongest position to negotiate and get the terms that he wants, whether that's here or elsewhere.

youmeletsfly

If you factor in our improved CB pairing and a potential DM, there is an argument that Paul can play in a midfield two.
However (and a big however), we should steer away from a midfield two as it's too conservative these days.

Now that we have the quality in the defense department, we should play it a bit more advanced to cover the hole between our midfield and defense. This will tighten things up and help the midfield.

I see no reason for Pogba not being able to play in a 4-3-3 similar to:
DDG
AWB-Varane-Maguire-Shaw
Bruno/DVB/MCT - new DM - Pogba
Bruno- Rashford- Sancho

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Definitely leaving for free and no one can blame him. PSG can't afford him now, but he can join up with Messi, Neymar, Ramos, Hakimi, Veratti, Donnarumma next season and pretty much guarantee himself European silverware and a few more domestic titles. Let's send him off with some trophies.

ashneel

In other words neither Real nor PSG want him right now, because they can't basically afford his wages or don't need him anymore.. a signing like Camavinga would be a reality check to him

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Here for the season at least so the fans need to support him!

If he leaves on a free so be it, nothing wrong with that.

If he signs a new contract even better.
If he doesn’t sign a contract, we know that next season, he will be at PSg. Ole better make the best use of him this season. United are better with Pogba in the team, so it is a plus that he is staying. I am more confident now that we will win something this season.

it will be a good way to end his career at United, a club that he basically played a lot of his professional career in.

dinostar77

PSG will be a massive temptation now though. For any player. Play a year or two with Messi. Be intetesting to see what Mbappe does now. Hes young. If i were him id delay leaving for 2 seasons now and have fun playing in that ridiculous attack.

As for Madrid it does seem Pogba wants Madrid more than Madrid want him. Though with Camavinga on a free next summer maybe Madrid over look Pogba and go with the young cheaper midfielder with potential. Who knows.

Im 99% certian Pogba is going to leave on a free. He'll be 29 next march. Last big contract on his career. Go win the CL while you can with PSG or Madrid.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I reckon both him and his agent will be relaxed about the contract situation and being able to walk away for free again. Saying that...a small part of me knows he's gutted nobody really wants him even for as little as 40m. He's been badly advised and handled by that greeseball agent. Fergie was right all along.

Tallis

I hope the club don’t make the mistake of not signing a MF this summer because he is staying. As most have said, he will likely leave next summer and we need to plan assuming he is not here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I hope the club don’t make the mistake of not signing a MF this summer because he is staying. As most have said, he will likely leave next summer and we need to plan assuming he is not here.
We will just sign one next season instead.

Pogba/Fred/Mctominay/Matic/DVB is enough for this season.

We will hopefully have Garner and Mejbri challenging for those positions next year, and then sign somebody like Tchouameni.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Thats all we can ask, if he is professional, plays well and then wants to leave at the end of the season, so be it, he has fulfilled the terms of his contract, so have we. I still think if we are in a title race in January and still in the CL he will sign on with us again.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Thread summary:
"United confident about keeping Pogba" because "he's relaxed about his situation" and "does not want to rush a decision about his future".

Seems like we're confident about keeping Pogba because nobody wants him this summer.

SATA

I still think he will sign an extension in probably November or earlier. His family are happy and settled in Manchester and that’s a very important thing. He’s also isn’t going to be underpaid staying here for the next four or five years

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I didn't watch the game last weekend versus Everton, did we play 433 or 4231? What we should be looking to do at least againt lesser teams should be playing 433 more with one DM in the team, with Pogba and Bruno on left or right of the attacking Midfield areas like Barca do, Rotate those three when possible with DM Matic, Fred, McT then Attacking areas Rotate with Lingard, Mata and Donny.

When playing against high quility teams we can play safe and use two in the pivot most preferably McFred, Bruno as the 10, Pogba on the right or left wing depending on form of course.

poleglass red

In football you look after yourself, there's little to no loyalty from players or clubs. His contract situation should have been resolved one way of the other, a long time ago. It's been evident for a while he has wanted to leave, in that case he should have been sold. This isn't a Ronaldo situation where we know he wants to leave but he stays one more season, and absolutely dominates. We won't get that from Pogba, we will get some world class performances, sprinkled with half arsed performances. The only hope , and this is clutching at straws is he plays amazing to attract a war for his services when he available on a free. He was made available to clubs via his agent and his own mouth long before covid and they got no hits, maybe now with no fee there will be a desire for his services.

Redcy

We will just sign one next season instead.

Pogba/Fred/Mctominay/Matic/DVB is enough for this season.

We will hopefully have Garner and Mejbri challenging for those positions next year, and then sign somebody like Tchouameni.
It will be a choice of a striker or a midfielder next year if we do. Martial is never going to be consistent enough to be a top tier striker, when Pogba goes we will have two massive holes as well as the DM position we won't recruit for

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It will be a choice of a striker or a midfielder next year if we do. Martial is never going to be consistent enough to be a top tier striker, when Pogba goes we will have two massive holes as well as the DM position we won't recruit for
We don't have unlimited funds though. This is why some of us have been advocating selling Pogba even at reduced price this summer.

dinostar77

Theres more than a few of us who would ideally like Utd to sign a midfielder this summer so we can go all out for Haaland next summer. Make are absolute best offer to him without having to be constrained by having to buy a midfielder as well at the same time.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Definitely leaving for free and no one can blame him. PSG can't afford him now, but he can join up with Messi, Neymar, Ramos, Hakimi, Veratti, Donnarumma next season and pretty much guarantee himself European silverware and a few more domestic titles. Let's send him off with some trophies.
Imagine being a defender in that team:P

dinostar77

Probably worth a bet that someone gets a double figures spanking from PSG this season. A 10-0 or something.

dinostar77

Veratti, Pogba, Wijnaldum would be fine I think. I see no issues there.
They have Parades, Herrera and Danilo (who looked a physical beast for portugal in midfield if somewhat technically limited). So they should be ok this season. Signing Pogba would just put more pressure on the midfield and defence (cause we all know what Pogbas defensive side ofnthe game is like).

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
They have Parades, Herrera and Danilo (who looked a physical beast for portugal in midfield if somewhat technically limited). So they should be ok this season. Signing Pogba would just put more pressure on the midfield and defence (cause we all know what Pogbas defensive side ofnthe game is like).
Pogba has been fine really for France be it in a 2 or 3. Veratti and Wijnaldum are by no means lazy players either and they would have some of the quickest defenders out there bar Ramos, and will be a team with more possession I think.

They'll also be fine for this season. To sat the least, imo.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Theres more than a few of us who would ideally like Utd to sign a midfielder this summer so we can go all out for Haaland next summer. Make are absolute best offer to him without having to be constrained by having to buy a midfielder as well at the same time.
After Pogba leaves for free, do we go get another Rioala client the summer he leaves? Then Haaland leaves for free again after we pay £100M next season in 4-5 years time?

I think Rioala has to play his cards right or he won't get many free passes anymore. I can see many clubs not wanting to deal with him anymore.

flappyjay

Also who do we sign that is more talented and capable than Pogba? Who?
There are next to zero players who have his skill set, he’s a unique mix. He can also cover for Bruno for rotation and injury, let’s face it if Bruno is injured we are in sh*t street creatively from midfield.
I often wonder how all these other teams win without a talented midfielder like Pogba. Kimmich and Goretzka are not as talented as Pogba but they make a better unit. Similar to whatever midfield Chelsea or Liverpool wilk field in the coming season. Unless we plan on playing a 4 3 3 or playing an extra midfielder like France we should be getting players who fit the current team not Pogba. He simply doesn't fit how we play even if we got rice or Kante. In order to win we would have to ask one of the wingers to become more defensive or throw an energetic, mobile midfielder out wide like Matuidi and Rabiot. This fact seems to get ignored whenever people talk about Paul's ability to play from deep during France games.

OmarUnited4ever

If you look at our key/important players, most of them are on a long term contracts.

Sancho & Varane sighed for 5/6 years

Bruno, Maguire, Henderson, McTominay, Greenwood, VdB, and AWB are on 5/4 years deals

Lindelof & Martial got 3 years left I think

Then you have the likes of Shaw, Fred, De Gea and Rashford who got 2 years from now and I expect them all to sign new contracts soon (maybe not De Gea but who knows)

Backup players like Telles, James and others got 3 or more years too

So, basically the majority of our squad are on long term contracts which is key as it's important in terms of squad planning.

Then there is Pogba who rejected/not responded to the new contract offered, and this is really not good, Ole and co need to have a definite answer from Pogba, weather he'll commit or not..

I really don't care if Pogba walks on free, what matters is closing the asap, the club or Pogba need to state clearly if a new contract will be signed or not, if Pogba comes out and says I will not sign a new deal but want to remain for another season here then so be it, he can play and be utilised accordingly and the recruitment team will start the process of finding a replacement early, I don't want the club to keep trying to convince Pogba, they been doing for few years now and nothing came of it..

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If you look at our key/important players, most of them are on a long term contracts.

Sancho & Varane sighed for 5/6 years

Bruno, Maguire, Henderson, McTominay, Greenwood, VdB, and AWB are on 5/4 years deals

Lindelof & Martial got 3 years left I think

Then you have the likes of Shaw, Fred, De Gea and Rashford who got 2 years from now and I expect them all to sign new contracts soon (maybe not De Gea but who knows)

Backup players like Telles, James and others got 3 or more years too

So, basically the majority of our squad are on long term contracts which is key as it's important in terms of squad planning.

Then there is Pogba who rejected/not responded to the new contract offered, and this is really not good, Ole and co need to have a definite answer from Pogba, weather he'll commit or not..

I really don't care if Pogba walks on free, what matters is closing the asap, the club or Pogba need to state clearly if a new contract will be signed or not, if Pogba comes out and says I will not sign a new deal but want to remain for another season here then so be it, he can play and be utilised accordingly and the recruitment team will start the process of finding a replacement early, I don't want the club to keep trying to convince Pogba, they been doing for few years now and nothing came of it..

Pogba doesn't need to give a definite answer though. By "staying relaxed about his future", he holds all the door open. He can get an offer somewhere else, but he is also still open to staying - if the offer is big enough.
I don't see if we can do anything about it. We could put some pressure on him to sign but it'll cause a bad smell in the team, and it's looking increasingly likely Pogba will be a part of the team for another year so I'm not so sure that's the way to go. Because if there's no offer on the table, what are we going to do with him? It's all messed up.

dinostar77

After Pogba leaves for free, do we go get another Rioala client the summer he leaves? Then Haaland leaves for free again after we pay £100M next season in 4-5 years time?

I think Rioala has to play his cards right or he won't get many free passes anymore. I can see many clubs not wanting to deal with him anymore.
Clubs want players so as much as they despise certain agents they will deal with them. Perez hates Riaola but he will deal with him if he has to.

No one here has any idea how the board or the glazers will react to Pogba leaving on a free. They may decide not to deal with Raiola for awhile. But we dont know. We can only guess.

OmarUnited4ever

Pogba doesn't need to give a definite answer though. By "staying relaxed about his future", he holds all the door open. He can get an offer somewhere else, but he is also still open to staying - if the offer is big enough.
I don't see if we can do anything about it. We could put some pressure on him to sign but it'll cause a bad smell in the team, and it's looking increasingly likely Pogba will be a part of the team for another year so I'm not so sure that's the way to go. Because if there's no offer on the table, what are we going to do with him? It's all messed up.

I know what you mean, but I think the club should settle the matter asap, either he signs a new deal or we tell him this your last year with us and you may leave on a free next summer, Pogba being relaxed has nothing to do with the club hierarchy planning for the squad, and Ole is good at managing the dressing room and separating the business from football, all the players respect and like Ole, so Pogba cant cause issues and by all accounts, Pogba is never an issue in the dressing room and I don't think he will cause issues even if he is benched or told that a new contract won't be offered.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We can afford Haaland + a midfielder next year. We will freeing up a lot of wages too if Mata/Matic/Pogba/Pereira/Jones are leaving.